Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Blockhouse posted:

I'd argue it started even before then with the Gamora/Soul Stone stuff

Yeah I know. That's why I said it was the big gear up just in case he didn't want to read all of that since it started with issue 1.

Also, I just read all of it together so things blur a bit for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Rhyno posted:

They do this pretty frequently. Runaways probably shouldn't have kept going beyond the BKV run.

Except BKV explicitly set up Runaways to be an ongoing thing, intending it to be a more or less permanent ongoing, and the run was killed early after BKV left because Whedons run was so destructive,and they basically spent the next ten years after that doing super short tie in miniseries (like the Civil War, SI, or SW 2015) and one really abortive attempt at a revival.

Like, its been like nearly a decade since the last proper actual Runaways ongoing, against the explicit wishes of BKV, who always wanted the Runaways as a concept to live on beyond his run. And past that, the only real reason we got the ongoing we have now is pretty much solely because of the TV show.

Like, basically all of the original Runaways had been split off into a different series entirely or were dead or were on a different team or were almost completely forgotten. Really of all the properties I would argue Marvel MIShandled in the last twenty years, Runaways is up there. It was always meant to be a permanent thing that got quickly and quietly cancelled and cannibalized for parts in other series.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I jumped off GOTG after Bendis left for some reason, his issues weren't that great and they were putting out so many solo books due to the movie's popularity that I decided to save my money. This week I picked up the holo-issue because it looked cool and liked it so now I'm in the same boat.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is gamora trapped in the soul gem

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love Jane Foster Thor and think she's the best iconic Marvel character going currently, but separating Jane from Thor and having Thor continue as her own character would totally destroy a lot of what makes her compelling.

Her whole heroic pathos is that she's a mortal among gods, burning away the limited time that remains to her to protect them, and that despite her human frailty and limited mortal perspective she's wiser and more courageous than the petty, feuding gods she deals with.

I wouldn't be averse to dodging the Sword of Damocles and having her escape death. I'd love to see more Jane Thor pretty much in perpetuity, I think she has the stuff of an all-time great comics hero. You just kinda worry that she might end up shunted off to the side and atrophying if she and a worthy Odinson have to share the spotlight.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I feel this era Marvel will be remembered as an era where Marvel tried a lot of cool new characters, shat all over them, and they were all forgotten and discarded.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

I feel this era Marvel will be remembered as an era where Marvel tried a lot of cool new characters, shat all over them, and they were all forgotten and discarded.

I hate that you're probably right.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

site posted:

Is gamora trapped in the soul gem

Part of her is

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Android Blues posted:

I love Jane Foster Thor and think she's the best iconic Marvel character going currently, but separating Jane from Thor and having Thor continue as her own character would totally destroy a lot of what makes her compelling.

Her whole heroic pathos is that she's a mortal among gods, burning away the limited time that remains to her to protect them, and that despite her human frailty and limited mortal perspective she's wiser and more courageous than the petty, feuding gods she deals with.

I wouldn't be averse to dodging the Sword of Damocles and having her escape death. I'd love to see more Jane Thor pretty much in perpetuity, I think she has the stuff of an all-time great comics hero. You just kinda worry that she might end up shunted off to the side and atrophying if she and a worthy Odinson have to share the spotlight.

Yeah, I'm with you. More than anything in the run so far, I find the Shi'ar-Asgard war to be crucial in defining her journey and reason for being. An important event that lead to her getting Mjolnir was that Thor agreed with Gor that gods were unecessary and unworthy of those who worship them. Now you've got an ordinary mortal woman who, despite the terrible cost to herself, steps up and becomes an example to all gods and becomes beloved through the realms for her kindness and decency and willingness to put people first. When those Shi'ar fucks were bringing down calamaties on their own people to show off who's got the biggest god dick, she didn't try and outdo them, she saved the people from the consequnces. There's a whole bunch of Shi'ar who ain't praying to their gods anymore, they're praying to Jane. Them and countless others throughout the nine realms.

Either she will indeed die and that will be it (for now), or the sheer amount of love and goodwill from those whose lives she's touched will make her truly something divine, even after she dies. Belief in her saves her, maybe.

I don't know. All I do know is that I *heart* Jane-Thor and while I'll be terribly sad to see her go, I have faith in Aaron in nailing the landing.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Blockhouse posted:

I'd argue it started even before then with the Gamora/Soul Stone stuff

It's pretty much this whole run of GoTG. It's all been Elders and stones.

This latest issue is the second time they teased Cable joining the team. Also, it looked like Hulk, but maybe it was Man Thing laying face down.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Hello, I want to get Ann Nocenti's Daredevil run in collected form, what do I buy? thanks in advance.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

HIJK posted:

Hello, I want to get Ann Nocenti's Daredevil run in collected form, what do I buy? thanks in advance.

Her run was #238–291 (minus #246 and #258) and going by this https://comicvine.gamespot.com/daredevil/4050-2190/ it's only collected sporadically.

edit: more detail
http://crushingkrisis.com/crushing-comics-guide-collecting-marvel-comic-books/collecting-daredevil-comic-books-as-graphic-novels/#3

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 4, 2018

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.

Covok posted:

I just really hope that my theory turns out to be true: that Jane Foster dies in combat against Magog, goes to Valhalla, comes back as Valkyrie and then the comic is rebranded as the Mighty Thor and Valkyrie.

Current comics Valkyrie is one of the few bisexual characters though, so I'd hate for her to get sidelined. Well, she's barely been in anything since Hellcat that I recall, but still. I do like the idea of Jane actually ascending to godhood or at least Valhalla though, that would be epic in Nordic fashion. Alternatively, she could end up looking after Alfheim or something, or replacing Karnilla.

Rogue & Gambit was everything I wanted it to be, since I am basically Pixie in the first issue at all times regarding everything Rambit, while Hawkeye continues to be utterly fantastic too. With the talk of Marvel Architects earlier, I would definitely like to see Kelly Thompson get bigger and bigger opportunities, should she want it. The 'bonus' interactions in R&G #1 (Gambit and 'Stormy'; Pixie, Armor & Psylocke; Kitty & Rogue) have me desperate for Kelly Thompson on an X-Team book. Just cancel Blue and Gold, and have Taylor on Red with Thompson on another colour/take over Gold with her own team.

Thompson, Ewing, Tom Taylor have been so consistently excellent for a long time now, Duggan, Aaron, North and Zdarsky too, thinking of writers with multiple or significant/'unusual' titles off the top of my head. Add Hastings, Wilson, Waid, Latour, Grace, Tamaki, Rowell crushing it on Runaways, Okafor et al, and I'm really not concerned about the future of Marvel writing. Axel's Exclusives* have been mixed though for me: Rosenberg has been hit and miss thus far, Cates is too new to judge but solid and Brisson has been brutally mediocre.

*I'm presuming that they're his?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well if jane dies and goes to asgard then I guess her new name would be einherjar, not valkyrie anyway :v:

there's more than one valkyrie in norse mythology so just make a whole valkyrie team imo

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, I'm with you. More than anything in the run so far, I find the Shi'ar-Asgard war to be crucial in defining her journey and reason for being. An important event that lead to her getting Mjolnir was that Thor agreed with Gor that gods were unecessary and unworthy of those who worship them. Now you've got an ordinary mortal woman who, despite the terrible cost to herself, steps up and becomes an example to all gods and becomes beloved through the realms for her kindness and decency and willingness to put people first. When those Shi'ar fucks were bringing down calamaties on their own people to show off who's got the biggest god dick, she didn't try and outdo them, she saved the people from the consequnces. There's a whole bunch of Shi'ar who ain't praying to their gods anymore, they're praying to Jane. Them and countless others throughout the nine realms.

Either she will indeed die and that will be it (for now), or the sheer amount of love and goodwill from those whose lives she's touched will make her truly something divine, even after she dies. Belief in her saves her, maybe.

I don't know. All I do know is that I *heart* Jane-Thor and while I'll be terribly sad to see her go, I have faith in Aaron in nailing the landing.

Yeah, that's one of her crowning moments for me too. I really think the issue where she saves the Shi'ar from various calamities rather than engaging in the Challenge of the Gods is an all-time classic because of the power of those moments you describe and how strongly they speak to her character. It expresses perfectly that she's a powerful, compassionate, iconic hero, and it's her mortal flaws and vulnerabilities that are the axis of her courage and compassion. It reminds me a lot of best parts of All-Star Superman.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Except BKV explicitly set up Runaways to be an ongoing thing, intending it to be a more or less permanent ongoing, and the run was killed early after BKV left because Whedons run was so destructive,and they basically spent the next ten years after that doing super short tie in miniseries (like the Civil War, SI, or SW 2015) and one really abortive attempt at a revival.

Like, its been like nearly a decade since the last proper actual Runaways ongoing, against the explicit wishes of BKV, who always wanted the Runaways as a concept to live on beyond his run. And past that, the only real reason we got the ongoing we have now is pretty much solely because of the TV show.

Like, basically all of the original Runaways had been split off into a different series entirely or were dead or were on a different team or were almost completely forgotten. Really of all the properties I would argue Marvel MIShandled in the last twenty years, Runaways is up there. It was always meant to be a permanent thing that got quickly and quietly cancelled and cannibalized for parts in other series.

I honestly disagree; I think the extent to which the Runaways were tied to the Pride made them work best as a finite concept. The various post-BKV runs had their problems, but I don’t think any of them really came up with a strong reason for why they’d continue operating as a team after the Pride and the Gibborim were tied up.

Rowell’s run is quite well-written and has even had Karolina voicing the above, more or less, but she hasn’t answered that question yet (really, there’s been hardly any plot beyond getting the band back together).

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I don't want to wade into the relitigation of Secret Empire/Nick Spencer Who Has Always Been Bad Yes Even Superior Foes, but a couple of things to clarify/ask:

1) G. Willow Wilson has (to my knowledge) been at every creative summit since 2014. They also have generally had multiple female editors and non-white editors too, but I realize that's not the same as having writers there.

2) Is there anything resembling evidence that Secret Empire was rewritten, hastily or otherwise, to reflect real world events/fan reaction/whatever else? I don't mean someone going "I feel that the characterization of [hero] does a 180 that can definitely only be attributed to lovely Nick Spencer panicking over Twitter, not lovely Nick Spencer being a lovely writer", I mean any indication anywhere from anyone involved that things were changed, material changing from previews to final print, etc? Because I don't really see it in the final product.

Covok posted:

That certainly seems to be the mindset of a lot of people, but it's incredibly pessimistic and more or less counter to how Marvel even at its shittiest works? Most of these characters haven't even been written out in any way shape or form and you seem convinced they will disappear forever.

Luke Cage, Carol Danvers, Jessica Drew, Iron Fist, the Punisher, Sabretooth, Ghost Rider, Squirrel Girl, Ben Reilly/Kaine, Howard the Duck, Nova, literally every member of the Guardians of the Galaxy (and the concept of a team being called the Guardians of the Galaxy) have all gone years (sometimes decades) without doing anything of note or even appearing in a comic book. If anything, the modern era seems a lot better suited for all your favorites to stick around given that Marvel and DC (but especially Marvel) have mostly given up on sweeping all of the old characters under the rug because someone decided THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE NOVA, ONE FEMALE SPIDER-PERSON, ONE HULK PERSON, ONE GREEN LANTERN, etc.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
This won't be so much the fans and readers forgetting things, it'll be more Marvel/Disney itself forgetting half the plots and movie plans they have going on trying to push the next idea out in a sea of wannabe civil war events and attempted game changes.

Nazi Steve was a scrull, who was part of a time gem bubble, who was college roomies with Thanos, who was also now a - oh gently caress, what? poo poo, think up a reason why he's a mutant, we need to relaunch Xmen yesterday!

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Barry Convex posted:

I honestly disagree; I think the extent to which the Runaways were tied to the Pride made them work best as a finite concept. The various post-BKV runs had their problems, but I don’t think any of them really came up with a strong reason for why they’d continue operating as a team after the Pride and the Gibborim were tied up.

Rowell’s run is quite well-written and has even had Karolina voicing the above, more or less, but she hasn’t answered that question yet (really, there’s been hardly any plot beyond getting the band back together).

Officially cleaning up The Pride's loose ends, figuring out what to do with the resources they were left with, and establishing themselves as LA's semi-reluctant protectors would have been a decent enough hook eleven years ago, but after Whedon's six issue run took over a year to come out, Terry Moore's half-hearted stab, Kathryn Immonen's arc that got cancelled before it really got started, and the team being scattered to the winds for things like Avengers Arena, it's way too late.

Rowell really is spinning gold with the sack of poo poo she was handed.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

thank you!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's kind of annoying that there isn't an omnibus of that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

so Daken is back to being evil rather than one handed,
or the writer just doesnt care what's being done with rehabbing the character?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Synthbuttrange posted:

so Daken is back to being evil rather than one handed,
or the writer just doesnt care what's being done with rehabbing the character?

There is some people suggesting it didn't really happen because of the joke made, which is such an obvious reference to this narrative trope. Some people think it's going to get undone through some comic book plot thing. If it isn't, then I don't know what the gently caress.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Crabtree posted:

This won't be so much the fans and readers forgetting things, it'll be more Marvel/Disney itself forgetting half the plots and movie plans they have going on trying to push the next idea out in a sea of wannabe civil war events and attempted game changes.

Nazi Steve was a scrull, who was part of a time gem bubble, who was college roomies with Thanos, who was also now a - oh gently caress, what? poo poo, think up a reason why he's a mutant, we need to relaunch Xmen yesterday!

yea I don't think we're gonna magically Memory Hole these characters, but I think Marvel is pushing the "WE NEED HUGE EVENTS CONSTANTLY IN ALL OUR BOOKS" button so hard that most of the genuinely cool things they do are gonna get washed away in the flood of "Thor was a Skrull and also he IS the Space gem and ALSO he died and became Loki BUT THEN we found out he was actually just a mutant with amnesia who THOUGHT he was Thor who THOUGHT he was a Skrull" twist-fest events.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is this Guardians of the Galaxy cover supposed to do something other than look like poo poo?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Roth posted:

Is this Guardians of the Galaxy cover supposed to do something other than look like poo poo?

Nope, you got it in one.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Covok posted:

Miles Morales will no longer be Spider-Man.

Honestly the writing was on the wall as soon as they put him in the same universe as Peter Parker. You can't have two spider-mans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Honestly the writing was on the wall as soon as they put him in the same universe as Peter Parker. You can't have two spider-mans.

DC does it all the time!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

DC does it all the time!

Ok, you CAN have two spider-mans and nobody would mind, but this is a company that killed off Ben Reilly instead of sending him off to the farm because they were afraid he'd dilute the brand.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Edge & Christian posted:

2) Is there anything resembling evidence that Secret Empire was rewritten, hastily or otherwise, to reflect real world events/fan reaction/whatever else?

Tony Stark's entire presence feels like a hasty rewrite, but more in a "I didn't realize the status quo would be different when this went to print" sense than a response to fans.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Ok, you CAN have two spider-mans and nobody would mind, but this is a company that killed off Ben Reilly instead of sending him off to the farm because they were afraid he'd dilute the brand.

That was the 90's, wasn't some loving idiot like Bob Harras in charge at the time? Whatever dumb poo poo modern Marvel pulls, they've got a ways to go before they reach 90's level dumb.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

TwoPair posted:

Tony Stark's entire presence feels like a hasty rewrite, but more in a "I didn't realize the status quo would be different when this went to print" sense than a response to fans.

I wonder what they talk about at those creator major event pow wows if editorial and Spencer didn't know Tony would be "dead" at the end of cw2. You'd think that'd be A Thing that people should know about

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Even when he was in the 1610 he was in the same universe as Peter Parker, so uh.

I really really really doubt they're removing MM from being S-M. Miles Morales existing does nothing to harm or confuse the current brand and a name change (which is what they would do considering how Miles is an extremely lucrative character) would only piss people off unless his current book, which I'm super behind on, bends over backwards to justify it. It makes like literally zero sense. Like DC briefly had two loving Clark Kents at the same time last year and they have so many loving Green Lanterns operating at once they wrote two different books, both of which are teamups, to contain them all. In contrast Miles having one solo and one teamup, neither of which Peter is a regular on, and running with a title that has not been a Peter Parker book in this century gives no good reason or justification for changing it outside of creative fiat.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TwoPair posted:

There was even that really weird bit where digital Tony tried to use the cosmic cube to make himself real.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Even when he was in the 1610 he was in the same universe as Peter Parker, so uh.

Peter Parker was dead. Until he wasn't, but that was stupid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lurdiak posted:

Peter Parker was dead. Until he wasn't, but that was stupid.

It would have been a great idea if, during the 8 month gap between Secret Wars and the relaunch of every Marvel comic and moving Miles to the 616, something happened where Peter Parker Spider-Man was presumed dead for a while and that's 616 Miles back story in the new universe.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I just don't think you could ever keep Miles' momentum as a character without the context of being in the Ultimate Universe, heir to the legacy of the only Spider-man of that world. That's like his entire hook.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I like Jane Foster Thor, but I read a post in this thread from someone (who either has a terminal illness or is close to someone who has) that her thing with refusing to have her cancer treated with magic is problematic, something to do with "if there was a miracle cure for my terminal condition I'd take totally take it even if it had consequences because the alternative is dying painfully and proudly soldiering on without it is downright stupid".

I mean I still like her but it sort of bothers me to this day. Any other similar points brought up elsewhere?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean if you think through literally any general concept of superheroes they just don't make sense if they suffer from a real world problem. Like, Peter Parker should flatly never ever have financial problems, he's on a first name basis with the richest people in the world on top of being a genius inventor. Whenever a hero has an addiction of some sort they should be able to cure it instantaneously considering the number of hypnotists, mind-readers, and mind-wipers the average one knows. Secret identities should never be able to exist functionally speaking unless you're someone who can turn invisible or can shapeshift. Any costume that has a domino mask shouldn't work, period. Most societies in superhero comics should be post-scarcity because many,many heroes break the second law of thermodynamics.

You just have to accept that Jane Foster Doesn't Want Treatment because that's how her character is conceited. It's the buy-in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Jane Foster not eating a magical golden apple panacea or taking a pill that cures cancer freely available at every Shi'ar clinic is loving stupid and contrived, yes, but OTOH Aaron's whole shtick is "stuff that sounds cool but doesn't hold up to the briefest moment of scrutiny" which isn't far off from comics in general so (I'm told at least)you just gotta take the good with the bad

• Locked thread