Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FireWorksWell posted:

I mean, Nosedive is my favorite episode but it seems like that's generally rated below even Playtest.

nosedive is one of the better episodes it's always weird when i see people rate it low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

nosedive is one of the better episodes it's always weird when i see people rate it low.

Yea, it's really good and Bryce Dallas Howard gives one of the best performances in the show.

Really, all of the acting is top tier for the most part.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009
Nosedive is the best example of an episode that simultaneously makes you think "There's no way people would accept this, the flaws in this system are so obvious" and "Well, this is basically already happening anyway". But there's multiple episodes that had that effect on me.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Man if you've ever been to a pretty blonde lady's wedding you'd know N O S E D I V E is already here

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

The second she took a perfectly cropped image of her food to share it felt perfectly real to me and it never stopped after that.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nosedive is also arguably the most cinematic and visually distinctive episode. It's not afraid to drench its whole world in this pastel instagram aesthetic, and that pairs well with the broad-strokes fable-like storyline.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Supercar Gautier posted:

Nosedive is also arguably the most cinematic and visually distinctive episode. It's not afraid to drench its whole world in this pastel instagram aesthetic, and that pairs well with the broad-strokes fable-like storyline.

This is what struck me most from the episode, especially once she has the tech removed from her eyes and you can see all the dust and grime in that building; it really does feel like a false, saccharine world.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
https://twitter.com/samesmail/status/949049415133614080

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Am I supposed to know who that is?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009

socketwrencher posted:

I'd like to see an episode dealing with Alzheimer's/dementia, where tech is used to slow/reverse the process of losing one's self. Memory is a fascinating thing and I wonder for example what would happen if a person in the early stages of dementia spent hours each day watching a movie of their life. Or maybe when a friend is coming to visit, they could replay experiences pulled from social media vids/pics etc to refresh the memory of the relationship, which is something we do naturally when our memory is intact.

Maybe a Black Mirror angle could be that companies offer a service where they take your memory data and tweak it to provide "peace of mind," like maybe a loved one with power of attorney could order revised memories so you die not as a bitter old man who wasted his life posting on internet forums but as someone who was a pillar of the community or whatever.

End of life care in general could be an interesting thing to explore; I read an article a few years back about these prototype Japanese healthcare robots which were designed to assist nurses with things like monitoring vitals, dispensing medication, even lifting, moving and transferring patients. What if Nursebot 3000 has a glitchy server and doesn't get a heart monitor signal for a few critical seconds? Suddenly it thinks the patient is flatlining and begins crash protocols on a comfortably-resting person. OOPS! Now they're dead, and whose fault is it?

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Am I supposed to know who that is?

Creator of Mr Robot

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Nosedive is fantastic, far better than Playtest or White Bear.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Griefor posted:

Nosedive is the best example of an episode that simultaneously makes you think "There's no way people would accept this, the flaws in this system are so obvious" and "Well, this is basically already happening anyway". But there's multiple episodes that had that effect on me.

China has been tinkering with a Social Merit system for quite a while that is scheduled to be mandatory by 2020.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Is there even anyone who liked Playtest? It's just a stack of 50 twists, each one nullifying the last and some of which repeat themselves. Instead of being a "What are the social ramifications if this tech works as intended?" story like the rest of the show, it's just about stuff going unpredictably and meaninglessly haywire.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I liked it a lot and agree that it isn't Good Television

Sometimes you just wanna watch a dude get owned by Spooky House of the Future, man

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah, Nosedive is great. I don't understand why some people hate it so much.

socketwrencher posted:

Maybe a Black Mirror angle could be that companies offer a service where they take your memory data and tweak it to provide "peace of mind," like maybe a loved one with power of attorney could order revised memories so you die not as a bitter old man who wasted his life posting on internet forums but as someone who was a pillar of the community or whatever.

I'm kind of surprised BM hasn't made an episode that's basically Total Recall. False memory, the life un-lived, and self-deception as therapy all feel like this show's jam. Wait, have they done this episode?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
4th season was really good. There weren't any stinkers but the best episodes were clearly 1, 4, 6 (I loved the first third of the last episode especially). It was great after three years of waiting finally meeting the first character to recognize the obvious reality that cookies and their offshoots are the most satanic devices ever imagined. Not surprised they had AI consciousness as a feature in 4 of the 6 episodes this season - it's spooky as heck. It's funny too that in the self-referential episode (6) the guy's basically in a super-duper-duper-Xtreme horrific version of white rabbit. I'll admit that eternal consciousness snapshots of being electrocuted is when cookie-horror finally went too over the top for me to be really messed up by it.

Best episode ever still is 15 million merits though because it's completely insane and impossible to explain to anyone who hasn't seen it. I still find the judges absolutely hilarious after watching the episode four times.

Xealot posted:

Yeah, Nosedive is great. I don't understand why some people hate it so much.
I would not have expected this episode to be controversial. It's so funny and the protagonist's situation is so ridiculous but sympathetic.

Overall it was a happier season... only one unfair ending (Metalhead) and in the world of Black Mirror death's not the worst fate by a long shot.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 5, 2018

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007

Doltos posted:

If that's true then Hang the DJ is actually horrifying. Every time that app's ran a thousand consciousnesses per person in the room live and die. And we're not talking in a flash, we're talking years of living.

I like to think that the app is just a global database and that they just met in the bar after matching on the app, not that the app runs all these instances every time its near someone.

That exactly what it does though. It doesn't find globally perfect match, but simulates pairing between app users in a proximity, and then provides the match score. This is just anthropomorphizing simulation much in way Tron did. THose are not even full Cookies since their personality clearly modified, e.g. they never question the wall, not really, never work, never question money etc etc, it is just bare basic compatibility test, who knows how it holds up duress of analog world work, obligations, having to apart and other stressors.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

No Wave posted:

I would not have expected this episode to be controversial. It's so funny and the protagonist's situation is so ridiculous but sympathetic.

I guess I didn't find her situation in Nosedive all that ridiculous, at all. I can absolutely envision a real-life setting where you have a "social credit score" that dictates important life poo poo. I know people whose jobs already depend on social media presence, where they need to be "on" at all times to stay afloat. Maybe I've been living in Los Angeles too long.

A totally draconian Stepford society policed by passive-aggression and fear rings more true than most BM dystopia scenarios, really.

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

If Nosedive wasn't a little ridiculous it would've just been the TV show version of browsing Facebook.

Like some others I'm really surprised anyone would rank it as one of the worst episodes. It's probably the most accessible episode of the entire series and is pretty well done.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Doltos posted:

If that's true then Hang the DJ is actually horrifying. Every time that app's ran a thousand consciousnesses per person in the room live and die. And we're not talking in a flash, we're talking years of living.

I like to think that the app is just a global database and that they just met in the bar after matching on the app, not that the app runs all these instances every time its near someone.
What you're not horrified by it running a billion times per day, but you are horrified by it running 100 trillion times per day? I think the ep tried to take the edge off by making their world as idyllic as possible. Black Mirror AI consciousness stuff is always horrifying though no way around it, even in this, the gentle episode of the season.

Xealot posted:

I guess I didn't find her situation in Nosedive all that ridiculous, at all. I can absolutely envision a real-life setting where you have a "social credit score" that dictates important life poo poo. I know people whose jobs already depend on social media presence, where they need to be "on" at all times to stay afloat. Maybe I've been living in Los Angeles too long.

A totally draconian Stepford society policed by passive-aggression and fear rings more true than most BM dystopia scenarios, really.
No... the "ridiculous" part is her going over hell and high water to show up at a wedding because she got too aggressive with a down payment. I didn't even mean ridiculous like implausible, I meant like convoluted, and she gets pushed into this situation where she's this swamp woman showing up at a wedding and there's zero chance it will ever work out but you're totally there with her as a viewer. It's a great episode, I did not mean ridiculous at all disparagingly though I can see why it would be taken as such and perhaps may alter my usage of the word online.

The only criticism of Nosedive I'd agree with is that BDH is too pretty for the part... but I don't mind.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jan 5, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I actually thought the idea behind Metalhead was to have the most competent protagonist possible against the most impossible opponent possible. It's not super engaging as an episode despite how competently directed/acted it was.... watching a smart person try to beat a deathbot just isn't super interesting for me as it turns out.

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007

No Wave posted:

What you're not horrified by it running a billion times per day, but you are horrified by it running 100 trillion times per day? I think the ep tried to take the edge off by making their world as idyllic as possible. Black Mirror AI consciousness stuff is always horrifying though no way around it, even in this, the gentle episode of the season.

No... the "ridiculous" part is her going over hell and high water to show up at a wedding because she got too aggressive with a down payment. I didn't even mean ridiculous like implausible, I meant like convoluted, and she gets pushed into this situation where she's this swamp woman showing up at a wedding and there's zero chance it will ever work out but you're totally there with her as a viewer. It's a great episode, I did not mean ridiculous at all disparagingly though I can see why it would be taken as such and perhaps may alter my usage of the word online.

That not ridiculous at all though. Irrational, sure. illogical, of course. But every once in awhile people over commit to something be it relationship, or a job, or a hobby and push way past of what rational. She was also drunk on red thermos alcohol.

The rest of the episode is basically what is happening now, and companies already have special benefits for influencers etc. It is why that episode is my favourite, because it picture of my own personal nightmare. It is the only one that I've watched multiple times.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

No Wave posted:

Ohhh, sorry, I misunderstood. Yeah, that part was definitely ridiculous, but I think I likewise bought it as "plausible" in the sense she'd literally had some kind of nervous breakdown. She for sure *wasn't* behaving rationally at any level anymore, but I could still see a person doing that through sheer anxiety, mania, and total exhaustion. And whiskey.

And Bryce Dallas Howard kind of kills it...it's simultaneously hilarious and crushingly sad, which I imagine is a tough line to walk.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Xenaul posted:

That not ridiculous at all though. Irrational, sure. illogical, of course. But every once in awhile people over commit to something be it relationship, or a job, or a hobby and push way past of what rational. She was also drunk on red thermos alcohol.

The rest of the episode is basically what is happening now, and companies already have special benefits for influencers etc. It is why that episode is my favourite, because it picture of my own personal nightmare. It is the only one that I've watched multiple times.
Yeah the problem here is my usage of the word ridiculous. What the character is doing is ridiculous - ie, if she were my friend were doing that I would tell them they were being ridiculous - but the show's premise is not, the show is good.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

socketwrencher posted:

I'd like to see an episode dealing with Alzheimer's/dementia, where tech is used to slow/reverse the process of losing one's self.

You might enjoy the film Marjorie Prime which deals with a tech solution for dealing with dementia, it felt a lot like a Black Mirror episode when I saw it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjorie_Prime

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
I was really invested in Hang the DJ's world until it ended up being a simulation. Like it was just really fascinating that there was this seemingly post-scarcity society where you don't have to work but you still have to conform to these strict relationship rules, with enforcers looming over you to ensure it. As the episode went on it felt like maybe this was some customary, highly ritualized part of people's lives, like at a certain age you're sent away to live in this compound to find your "ultimate match", and if you disobey you are "banished", either from society altogether or from the only way to be allowed to find a partner. It was really interesting, and it's disappointing it cheaped out by mentioning like three minutes before the end that they couldn't actually remember anything.

Then again I would have been 100% on board if it was gay.

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, absolutely this. The depiction of the technology also had a lot of nice visual flourishes, which really meshed with the style they were using.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I was really invested in Hang the DJ's world until it ended up being a simulation. Like it was just really fascinating that there was this seemingly post-scarcity society where you don't have to work but you still have to conform to these strict relationship rules, with enforcers looming over you to ensure it. As the episode went on it felt like maybe this was some customary, highly ritualized part of people's lives, like at a certain age you're sent away to live in this compound to find your "ultimate match", and if you disobey you are "banished", either from society altogether or from the only way to be allowed to find a partner.

Yeah I'm kind of on board with people who didn't like the ending, even though I liked the episode overall. I just think they had a more interesting idea going without the simulation angle.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

No Wave posted:

I actually thought the idea behind Metalhead was to have the most competent protagonist possible against the most impossible opponent possible. It's not super engaging as an episode despite how competently directed/acted it was.... watching a smart person try to beat a deathbot just isn't super interesting for me as it turns out.

But the protagonist was unrelentingly stupid and incompetent?

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

BSam posted:

You might enjoy the film Marjorie Prime which deals with a tech solution for dealing with dementia, it felt a lot like a Black Mirror episode when I saw it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marjorie_Prime

If we're going to recommend movies based on how Black Mirror-like they are (which I'm totally in favor of), I'd like to recommend Ex Machina. The protagonist is even a familiar face for Black Mirror viewers.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Doltos posted:

But the protagonist was unrelentingly stupid and incompetent?

drat, that wasn't my impression at all. Stupid because she wanted teddy bears and waited to see if her van buddy was dead?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I was really invested in Hang the DJ's world until it ended up being a simulation. Like it was just really fascinating that there was this seemingly post-scarcity society where you don't have to work but you still have to conform to these strict relationship rules, with enforcers looming over you to ensure it. As the episode went on it felt like maybe this was some customary, highly ritualized part of people's lives, like at a certain age you're sent away to live in this compound to find your "ultimate match", and if you disobey you are "banished", either from society altogether or from the only way to be allowed to find a partner. It was really interesting, and it's disappointing it cheaped out by mentioning like three minutes before the end that they couldn't actually remember anything.

Then again I would have been 100% on board if it was gay.

Yeah, absolutely this. The depiction of the technology also had a lot of nice visual flourishes, which really meshed with the style they were using.

That would have been much better. I guess it's still a what if dating apps but too much, but it would have been a lot better if it were real.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
I wouldn't call the lady in Metalhead stupid, but she definitely makes a bunch of unforced errors along the way. She probably could have escaped if she went radio silent after ditching the tracker instead of knowingly alerting the dog to her location.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I thought Metalhead would have had more of an impact if we knew the stakes, otherwise, it is just sort of flat knock terminator knock-off. Also, a drone operator would have been a punch in the stomach, but maybe it needed that twist. Hell is other people seems to be a big theme in BM over all.

As far as USS Callister/Black Museum go.... I kind of had an issue with the "punishment" exacted on each of the villains. I could see the irony of trapping the CTO in his own construct, but actually killing him seemed overkill. Likewise, putting the museum owner under own torture was pretty much "an eye for an eye." I thought we were kind of over that as a society.

I think overall BM is better than most of the TV that is out there, but it is getting into the typical issue of British writing trying to keep up with American production schedules and it shows. I think I could be okay with moving on from torturing digital beings for a while.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Also, a drone operator would have been a punch in the stomach, but maybe it needed that twist. Hell is other people seems to be a big theme in BM over all.

Even if the dogs are operating autonomously, they're still man-made. It's not clear whether the dog is working in anyone's current interest or if it's just a fire-and-forget relic of the past, but at some point someone put it there to do exactly what it is doing.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

monkey needs a hug

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Griefor posted:

Even if the dogs are operating autonomously, they're still man-made. It's not clear whether the dog is working in anyone's current interest or if it's just a fire-and-forget relic of the past, but at some point someone put it there to do exactly what it is doing.

I think the ambiguity hurt it, was it just a bunch of out of control security systems or was it intentional? If it is just a forgotten robot dog chasing someone around it is hard to really get that much out of it.

Also, I guess the dogs killed off the pigs in the beginning as well for some reason?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Maybe the dogs have glitched into full-blown berserker machines bent on extinguishing all life on the planet.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Ardennes posted:

If it is just a forgotten robot dog chasing someone around it is hard to really get that much out of it.

I disagree. This would mean someone deployed these dogs with a complete disregard for the long-term consequences it would have. It's like living in a minefield or a nuclear strike site of some old war. The war may be over but it is still affecting the people living there. It's not just one random dog, it is many of them and the area where the story takes place is a post-apocalyptic wasteland because of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

What was the Metalhead reference in Black Museum? I can't remember it.