Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Sorry for being dumb but what's the big deal with Morrowloot exactly?

Vanilla skyrim is "leveled" meaning I can go anywhere and win regardless of my level, and Morrowloot changes it so that some areas are gonna be way too easy / hard for my level. Is that right? Does it mean there's now a certain order you have to go through the various areas to make sure you're roughly the right level?

e: basically my question is if I've never completed a play through before and probably only seen like 25% of the game then should I forget about it for now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Game of Chess
Nov 6, 2004

not as good as Turgenev

Raygereio posted:

I just checked out Run for Your LIves for both Oldrim & SE and both are fine. :shrug: Nothing shows up on scans and the archives contain just the mod files. But that doesn't mean all that much since the Nexus has multiple servers and perhaps only one or two got comprised.
Rynyin is not alone in this at least. A quick search of the Nexus' forum shows a bunch of posts from today saying people's antivirus popped up about a trojan being present in the download. Not sure what's going on. But the Nexus did have some issues where downloads got corrupted the last few days. For now, I'd say don't blindly assume it's a false positive and check what you downloaded to see if it contains anything out of the ordinary.

Good to know, thank you. I'm running a virus scan in an abundance of caution.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

You could also re-download a few times and check if the file hashes all match.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

GunnerJ posted:

I always kinda wondered what was up with this line in the general "before you mod" section of the OP:

I assumed this was a precaution that mods sometimes read as viruses even though they aren't but I'd never encountered it myself.

That's basically exactly what it means - it's why "Install Steam/Skyrim outside of program files" is one of my modding mantras. UAC in particular seems to zero in on modding tools, and things like SKSE use some of the same techniques as some virii.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

fuf posted:

Sorry for being dumb but what's the big deal with Morrowloot exactly?

Vanilla skyrim is "leveled" meaning I can go anywhere and win regardless of my level, and Morrowloot changes it so that some areas are gonna be way too easy / hard for my level. Is that right? Does it mean there's now a certain order you have to go through the various areas to make sure you're roughly the right level?

e: basically my question is if I've never completed a play through before and probably only seen like 25% of the game then should I forget about it for now?

It's not nearly that rigid. There are certainly times you'll get your rear end handed to you hard, and you'll either have to keep trying, find a new strategy or come back later. It can be a little rough with alternate starts, depending on where you end up. I've found it works well for me to start on novice and raise the difficulty every 10 levels. The only crazy hard fight I can think of is Movarth near Morthal. I understand why the author thinks he should be hard (for lore reasons) but it is an insane spike in a fairly moderate questline to get a hearhtfire house.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

GunnerJ posted:

I always kinda wondered what was up with this line in the general "before you mod" section of the OP:

I assumed this was a precaution that mods sometimes read as viruses even though they aren't but I'd never encountered it myself.

It is, but you still report that poo poo to the host for being a potential computer attack. It's a matter of public health now.

Ahaha, alright, you got me.

It was always a matter of public health.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It was always weird how Movarth is this legendary ancient vampire but he's just hanging out in a cave outside Morthal waiting for you to come wipe the floor with him.

e: I was going to write some sarcastic comments about the whole Volkihar thing which somehow manages to be even dumber but what's the point, everyone is aware how horrible the writing in Dawnguard is

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Been laying a bit of groundwork to play Skyrim again, got SPERG, Noble Skyrim HD, and this thing that buffs artifacts installed. If I wanted to add some survival stuff it'd basically be Frostfall and iNeed, right? Is Campfire even compatible with SPERG?

Also, any opinions on M'Rissi's Tails of Troubles? I was watching some of MxR's mod roundups and this really jumped out at me as noticeably well-made.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

sebmojo posted:

I like frostfall, because it makes going into the high snowy mountains a thing you have to prepare for.

I'm okay with some survival elements but after playing tons of BotW I really don't want to deal with temperature again.

That said, anyone have recommendations for some basic survival mods that aren't too brutal? I wasn't going to bother with them on this run but SPERG seems to add a lot of abilities based on daily cooldowns and it'd be nice if there was an incentive to not just rest for 24 hours after every fight. Survival mods kind of force you to not do that due to things like hunger.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Get convenient horses y'all. It's hella good

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Anyone got any good/cool animal/dwemer robot companion mods? SPERG SE still has the hosed up Best Friend perk and I miss having my Sabertooth tiger/Dwemer Spider buddy :(

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Lizard Wizard posted:

Also, any opinions on M'Rissi's Tails of Troubles? I was watching some of MxR's mod roundups and this really jumped out at me as noticeably well-made.

It's kind of creepy.

Zore posted:

Anyone got any good/cool animal/dwemer robot companion mods? SPERG SE still has the hosed up Best Friend perk and I miss having my Sabertooth tiger/Dwemer Spider buddy :(

There's a Dwemer centurion sphere inspired by BB-8 from the new Star Wars movies.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/13642/

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jan 4, 2018

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

It was always weird how Movarth is this legendary ancient vampire but he's just hanging out in a cave outside Morthal waiting for you to come wipe the floor with him.

e: I was going to write some sarcastic comments about the whole Volkihar thing which somehow manages to be even dumber but what's the point, everyone is aware how horrible the writing in Dawnguard is

I actually thought Dawnguard was above average in terms of writing, but then I'm really out of the loop on the TES canon. I assume it shits all over pre-established lore or something?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Well kinda, but it's more that it just makes no goddamn sense at all from one sentence to the next.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Rynyin posted:

I seem to be getting a trojan warning when downloading "Run for Your Lives". Is this common? I just started downloading a bunch of mods and it's the only one to give me a warning.

Win32/Peals.F!cl was the warning it gave me. Quick google didn't show anything for the mod and trojan together.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/7o19q0/trojanwin32pealsfcl_false_positives_in_windows/

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Can you elaborate in a way that doesn't require me to watch a playthrough of the media I might want to consume?

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 4, 2018

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Gimbal lock posted:

Get convenient horses y'all. It's hella good

How do you loot from horseback? I did it once and can't replicate it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I actually thought Dawnguard was above average in terms of writing, but then I'm really out of the loop on the TES canon. I assume it shits all over pre-established lore or something?
Did you play it while drunk, concussed or did you get a hypnotist to make you forget the magic pixie dream vampiress

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

graynull posted:

It's not nearly that rigid. There are certainly times you'll get your rear end handed to you hard, and you'll either have to keep trying, find a new strategy or come back later. It can be a little rough with alternate starts, depending on where you end up. I've found it works well for me to start on novice and raise the difficulty every 10 levels. The only crazy hard fight I can think of is Movarth near Morthal. I understand why the author thinks he should be hard (for lore reasons) but it is an insane spike in a fairly moderate questline to get a hearhtfire house.
Yeah, he was equipped with a daedric sword at level 11 when I saw him, and I banned myself from using bows this playthrough, so there was no way I was going to sneak attack the fucker.

I eventually came back around level 20 with Benor and that other dude and abused a chain lightning staff.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Did you play it while drunk, concussed or did you get a hypnotist to make you forget the magic pixie dream vampiress

I played it riding Arvak everywhere so I barely ever saw her 'cause she was always lagging a mile behind. Also the instant the questline was finished I got her to cure her vampirism and then left her to rot in Fort Dawnguard. If I can't kill a vampire, at least I can cure it :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 4, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Crumbletron posted:

How do you loot from horseback? I did it once and can't replicate it.

Press space bar and lootable bodies and nearby people can be interacted with. Stop by a resource to harvest it. It’s a good mod but it’s really stupid that the mod author doesn’t simply tell you how to do things with a new set of controls.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Arivia posted:

Press space bar and lootable bodies and nearby people can be interacted with. Stop by a resource to harvest it. It’s a good mod but it’s really stupid that the mod author doesn’t simply tell you how to do things with a new set of controls.

Thanks!!! The Nexus description page was pretty bare when I checked. It says all what you can do, but not how.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Can you elaborate in a way that doesn't require me to watch a playthrough of the media I might want to consume?

You can romance her or enslave her... :nexus:

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
What I want is a working version of QuickLoot for SSE

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Oooook. So after the first round of SSE modding, including Noble Skyrim, Riften already runs at 40-45 FPS.

I have a 6600k and a GTX 1080, on SSE. I play at 1080p. I haven't yet installed an ENB. :shepface:

e: with a Cinematic ENB Riften runs at ~33 FPS

e2: ok, so dropping Open Cities gained back at least 10 FPS. Shame, I liked the mod. Now to figure out the rest...

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 5, 2018

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So what's the real weigh in for NMM vs MO2? Is MO2 stable enough that it's worth using and being updated frequently enough? Is NMM not absolutely trash anymore? It's been like 2 and a half years since i've modded so i'm coming in almost completely fresh. One other question, I remember there being a mod that let you gently caress around with every single one of the ini settings in a nice easy neat program, skyrim configurator or something? does a version exist for SSE?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a mod that disable kill cam moves used by NPCs, or lowers the threshold to a ridiculously low number? I keep getting sucked into animations where I can't do anything and then die instantly. If I was at super low health I wouldn't care but against some enemies it can happen when I have a good chunk of HP left. One guy was able to proc kill animations on me from 90% health.

EDIT: Like come the gently caress on

I don't care if its a dragon it shouldn't be able to instantly kill me when I have over half my health left.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jan 5, 2018

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/668/

Smilodon suggests this for exactly that issue.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Internet Kraken posted:

I don't care if its a dragon it shouldn't be able to instantly kill me when I have over half my health left.

Maybe you should get more health?

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Bob NewSCART posted:

So what's the real weigh in for NMM vs MO2? Is MO2 stable enough that it's worth using and being updated frequently enough? Is NMM not absolutely trash anymore? It's been like 2 and a half years since i've modded so i'm coming in almost completely fresh. One other question, I remember there being a mod that let you gently caress around with every single one of the ini settings in a nice easy neat program, skyrim configurator or something? does a version exist for SSE?

They're both stable and usable. I think MO2 is a bit more of a pain, but it lets you do more stuff, like play multiple characters with completely different mods. There's really nothing wrong with NMM anymore and it is pretty simple to use, which is why i use it.

Arivia posted:

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/668/

Smilodon suggests this for exactly that issue.

VioLens also lets you turn off the ranged killcam which slows your attack so much that it misses.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
So I'm in the middle of setting up my modded Skyrim SE using that Dragon Rising guide posted recently and I've got to the AI part where Immersive Citizens rears it's head. What's the general consensus on this mod these days, is it worth it or will it once again gently caress up a bunch of other mods while a deranged Frenchman threatens all and sundry? And if it's not worth it, what are some good alternatives?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Eric the Mauve posted:

Well kinda, but it's more that it just makes no goddamn sense at all from one sentence to the next.

*Be TLD, a Mighty Vampire Hunter that swore many oaths to destroy any Vampire he/she comes across*
*Some Vampire Princess with a god damned ELDER SCROLL falls into his/her lap, more or less defenseless*
*go ahead and follow her to the heart of the Vampire scourge in Skyrim and listen to whatever she says, does nothing when she hands said Elder Scroll over to her insane dad who openly admits to wanting to end the world*

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Orange Crush Rush posted:

*Be TLD, a Mighty Vampire Hunter that swore many oaths to destroy any Vampire he/she comes across*
*Some Vampire Princess with a god damned ELDER SCROLL falls into his/her lap, more or less defenseless*
*go ahead and follow her to the heart of the Vampire scourge in Skyrim and listen to whatever she says, does nothing when she hands said Elder Scroll over to her insane dad who openly admits to wanting to end the world*

It would have made much more sense (and even introduced a later-used mechanic) if Serana had ambushed you with a bite when you mention the dawnguard wanting you to kill her. She makes you her thrall, then bing-bang-boom, no more having to explain the dumb narrative of you helping her or giving a poo poo about her.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The only way I can kinda sorta justify it in my head is the Last Dragonborn is so confident in his own invincibility that he figures it'll make things easier if he lets her lead him to the Super Duper Deluxe Vampires' super secret hideout, and then he can get to some serious vampire murder. But then Harkon pulls out that bullshit instant banishment spell--boy, I bet Alduin wishes he'd learned that one--and... that's pretty much where I lose the thread entirely, because it makes no sense that the Last Dragonborn would choose that point to say "Huh, well, guess I'd better run clear to the exact opposite end of Skyrim, leaving that Elder Scroll behind with the Super Duper Deluxe Vampires who openly are trying to end the world, and tell the Dawnguard to gear up to assault this place, because I'll really need their help!"

As I said, the only headcanon that makes not instantly killing Serana make any sense involves the Dragonborn being super arrogant, so he wouldn't go "hey, I need help with this!"

And then even if he did, why the hell would he take several days' journey back to the rear end end of the Rift to get said help, as opposed to, say, going to Solitude and explaining things to Falk/Tullius (or if you already kicked the empire out, there's a big Stormcloak army holding Solitude and Windhelm is still way closer than Fort Dawnguard) and getting a regiment or two?

And that's just the beginning of that mess.

graynull posted:

It would have made much more sense (and even introduced a later-used mechanic) if Serana had ambushed you with a bite when you mention the dawnguard wanting you to kill her. She makes you her thrall, then bing-bang-boom, no more having to explain the dumb narrative of you helping her or giving a poo poo about her.

Maybe but then you run into the same cutscene helplessness bullshit (i.e., plot rails, the exact thing we play Bethesda games and tolerate the hideous bugginess because they don't have) that makes the Thieves' Guild quest so asinine.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

graynull posted:

In my headcanon Serana uses her vampiric mind magicks on the DB the moment she's freed. Nothing in the plot makes sense otherwise :v:

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Ya know, Thieves Guild would have been fine if they just dialed back on the whole Nocturnal Worship poo poo, and just made it about the Guild Master pulling a Long Con on everyone, and you scrounging together the remnants to get back at him.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Agents are GO! posted:

That's basically exactly what it means - it's why "Install Steam/Skyrim outside of program files" is one of my modding mantras. UAC in particular seems to zero in on modding tools, and things like SKSE use some of the same techniques as some virii.

Yeah but heuristics flags always show up a !generic or !gen or something, which means the AV doesn't have a matching virus definition, but here's something that looks like a virus, quacks like a virus, and walks like a virus, so it must be a virus. The alert he got, which specifically mentioned a malware package definition means there was a solid match on the code of something in the zip file, that was identical to an existing virus definition. What he was downloading contained an actual virus/trojan and not some heuristics guess.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Ya know, Thieves Guild would have been fine if they just dialed back on the whole Nocturnal Worship poo poo, and just made it about the Guild Master pulling a Long Con on everyone, and you scrounging together the remnants to get back at him.

Yeah I don't care that I got betrayed, I just hated that the game assumed I was totally onboard with all the Nocturnal bullshit. Its supposed to be a thieves guild, not a cult. I worship Daedra and do whatever they want on my own terms dammit

The Nocturnal lady (can't remember her name) was such a bad character that as soon as I finished the quest I used the console to remove her essential status and killed her. Never done that with another NPC before.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Nocturnal thing is extra bad because it doesn't actually do anything. You've already got the armour. Selling your soul doesn't give you any special powers. You apparently need the powers of a Nightingale (that you don't get) to defeat the bad guy who still has his powers maybe? I guess because he's the only person in the questline who actually stole something so he's been true to his thief nature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

orange juche posted:

Yeah but heuristics flags always show up a !generic or !gen or something, which means the AV doesn't have a matching virus definition, but here's something that looks like a virus, quacks like a virus, and walks like a virus, so it must be a virus. The alert he got, which specifically mentioned a malware package definition means there was a solid match on the code of something in the zip file, that was identical to an existing virus definition. What he was downloading contained an actual virus/trojan and not some heuristics guess.

In this case, though, it's likely Windows Defender screwing up. https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/7o19q0/trojanwin32pealsfcl_false_positives_in_windows/