Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
I might have missed it but why did we kill Garuda? I recall some nebulously nonsense about her being a threat and she was certainly a mean old bird tits lady but going after her seems out of place.

It's like we had to deal with titan because he was a nearby threat but bird tits is way up in coerthas, isn't she more of a problem for the dick elves?

Also it seems abrupt how she interrupts the walking sands/scions plot line. Because it picks up again immediately after you fight her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Turpitude posted:

I might have missed it but why did we kill Garuda? I recall some nebulously nonsense about her being a threat and she was certainly a mean old bird tits lady but going after her seems out of place.

It's like we had to deal with titan because he was a nearby threat but bird tits is way up in coerthas, isn't she more of a problem for the dick elves?

Also it seems abrupt how she interrupts the walking sands/scions plot line. Because it picks up again immediately after you fight her.

You can't leave primals unattended else they will temper a ton more followers and suck up even more aether.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Simply by existing, primals drain aether out of the planet. No aether = no planet which is bad for all of us. Even if a primal is friendly or harmless, they have to go in 100% of cases. That's just the way the universe works.

What's the use in strafing now that your autos work even if you're not facing the boss?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
All primals suck up way, way too much aether just by existing to be allowed to exist; they endanger the planet every moment they're manifest. They also turn people into thralls dedicated to summoning them over and over.

Also she's a jerkface.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

What's the use in strafing now that your autos work even if you're not facing the boss?

Gaze attacks. Mechanics similar to gaze attacks. Mindjack. Plenty of stuff.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Turpitude posted:

Despite having the trappings of being a "western" MMO, life and the afterlife of Eorzea is still heavily Eastern in its underpinnings. We're all made of aetherstuff, so when we die, our spirit returns to the cycle and churn, and recondenses down into the earth, the air, the water, the things that plants take up that feed the rest of the food chain.

In that sense, Primals are aetheric kidney stones, that keep things from moving smoothly through the system.

Leave them alone, and they'll just get bigger and do more damage.

Gotta break them up so they can be passed.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 4, 2018

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Turpitude posted:

I might have missed it but why did we kill Garuda?

Because the last time she was summoned, this happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5dNjgp1m2x0

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Turpitude posted:

The dick elves are still people, and indeed you want to try to get them on sides.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

This will come up again several times, but basically the #1 job of the Scions is to kill primals. Whenever one pops up, you pretty much drop whatever you're doing to go get rid of it before it causes too much havoc, and then go back to what you were doing before. Though the later ones tend to get woven into the plot a bit better than "suddenly, a primal!".

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Even Garlemald is all "holy poo poo, a primal"

And then they scorched earth nuke it and the society that summoned it because of course they do

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

*squints at Dark Knight questline*

Fray, why are you talking like you were involved at all with Leviathan?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

TFRazorsaw posted:

:unsmigghh: Keep going, you're almost there!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

I love the DRK questline.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It begins.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

How does Ramuh's story quest end again? I feel like he was a "friendly" primal and you didn't kill him, you just tested him, but that can't be true at the same time as the "the existence of primals destroys the earth" plot point so I must be forgetting something

This is a ARR plot beat but I'm tagging it for the person who clearly hasn't got there yet

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

All primals suck up way, way too much aether just by existing to be allowed to exist; they endanger the planet every moment they're manifest. They also turn people into thralls dedicated to summoning them over and over.

Also she's a jerkface.

Seriously, that last bit is important. She’s not a nice old man like Ramuh, she’s a literal avatar of destruction. The Ixal summoned something that literally only exists to murder, and you need to kill her before she gathers enough power to scour half the continent clean.

That vortex you fight her inside? It’s just going to keep expanding and expanding until everyone is dead.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

How does Ramuh's story quest end again? I feel like he was a "friendly" primal and you didn't kill him, you just tested him, but that can't be true at the same time as the "the existence of primals destroys the earth" plot point so I must be forgetting something

This is a ARR plot beat but I'm tagging it for the person who clearly hasn't got there yet

You did kill him, but he was cool with that because he knew what primals did to the world, and you’d reassured him that his sylphs would be safe even after he was gone.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

Phone posted:

Is it worth it to level CUL desynth?

Don't do it!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Phone posted:

Is it worth it to level CUL desynth?

It is probably the easiest job to level desynth for, but man, are the rewards generally sand.

that's not slang or anything. Like, 90% of the desynth table for all fish is Fine Sand.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Ainsley McTree posted:

You have it backwards, he was testing you. Since you passed he figures you can probably handle things.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Man, while i did get all crafting classes to 60 in HW and got a full pentamelded ironworks set and crafted 4-star recipes for a while before quitting at patch 3.45, i just noticed i only ever completed the quest line for goldsmith. All others are still at their lv55 or lv58 quest. It's time to catch up a bit.

Man, i've missed the crafter quest lines. They're so nice. Underrated underdog here is the armorer questline, i feel. Wasn't so hot about the ARR version of it, but HW takes it up and builds on it, instead of most others who say 'go to Ishgard to this dude/lady and do something there now'.

I especially like the CUL 60 quest. The frigging dungeon victory fanfare when the contest judge announces your points. :allears:

edit: Holy poo poo it keeps going, his reaction face! And a full blown anime dream sequence to describe the taste!

gently caress, leveling DOH is worth it just for the quests.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 5, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I think you're kind of weirdly down on ARM 50. I mean, you know those publicity videos where like, the CEOs of armor companies agree to be shot while using their own product? ARM 50 is basically that.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I just didn't enjoy Blanstyr's role in the 1-50 quests much, which makes his turnabout post-ARR much, much more effective, admittedly.

Though i don't think anything will ever top the 50 CUL quest. It's one of the very few chances you get to dunk on Lolorito. :neckbeard:

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh lol, Brithael in the ARM 60 quest asking me if i've ever heard of a dude named Gerolt is the funniest thing i've heard all week

preeeety sure he's not in hyrstmill anymore, dude

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

HenryEx posted:

Oh lol, Brithael in the ARM 60 quest asking me if i've ever heard of a dude named Gerolt is the funniest thing i've heard all week

preeeety sure he's not in hyrstmill anymore, dude

Nah. He totally is.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Gerolt figured out how to use the Allagan cloning tech so he could be in 2 places at once.

He thought it would replicate booze for him.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Gruckles posted:

Gerolt figured out how to use the Allagan cloning tech so he could be in 2 places at once.

To think how close he was to true world peace.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Gruckles posted:

I figure he just stole some of Rowena's aetherites while they were still an item.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nessus posted:

The dick elves are still people, and indeed you want to try to get them on sides.

It's also mentioned later on that the Ixal (and Garuda by proxy) have more interest in laying claim to the Shroud than they do Coerthas.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
Goldsmith 50-60 are low key really good to me. I really liked that we went ten levels just trying to make a sweet elderly roegadyn couple the greatest anniversary gifts of all time.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Just lol if you don’t skip every cutscene and pick the story up from the solo duties

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like how the mom in WVR 60 just casually drops the fact on her daughter that she's the reason her father died in the war. Smiling all the while.

And by like i mean, what the gently caress?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

HenryEx posted:

I like how the mom in WVR 60 just casually drops the fact on her daughter that she's the reason her father died in the war. Smiling all the while.

And by like i mean, what the gently caress?

Ishgardians are bad people.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Goldsmith 50-60 are low key really good to me. I really liked that we went ten levels just trying to make a sweet elderly roegadyn couple the greatest anniversary gifts of all time.

All of the GSM quests are awesome. 60-70 is lots of fun as well (you get to be the head of a school complete with all the anime tropes). ARM 50 and CUL 60 are great as well, as is the whole LTW 1-50 arc. But ALC is probably my favorite, especially 1-50 and the 50-60 murder mystery.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The 4.0 CUL quests are real good.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

why'd everyone sleep on this besides the lala trash there :eyepop:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
coincidentally, I just finished the stormblood weaver quests

https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/949170764728623105

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

This last slog from 45 to 50 is pretty aggravating, especially since Dzmael Darkhold and Aurum Vale are two of the most aggravating dungeons in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

TFRazorsaw posted:

This last slog from 45 to 50 is pretty aggravating, especially since Dzmael Darkhold and Aurum Vale are two of the most aggravating dungeons in the game.

Now you have lived the true FF14 experience! And you'll get them in leveling roulette and want to die and maybe even leave, just like the rest of us.