Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
We should still get an RB. Carson seems good and all (another RB coming back from a leg injury, what could could go wrong??), but we have no depth. As you said, Rawls is toast, Davis wasn't anything special, and Prosise is glass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

seiferguy posted:

Our best hope now is that Jim Irsay sees a kindred spirit in Tom Cable with his domestic violence problems and gives him Indy's head coaching job.

I'd rather have a Belichick Coaching Tree guy than Cable.

And I really dont want a Belichick coaching tree guy.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Nobody wants Cable, which is why you hear loud cheering from Seahawks fans when his name comes up for head coaching jobs.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
At first I thought the niners could build an immediately good team next year due to all their cap space. But there aren't actually that many quality FA's this year. Mainly JAGs who are probably slightly overpaid. I guess they could have fun and get Star Lotulelei and Shel Richardson for an amazing DL but eh.

Might be better to sit on the cap until next year.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

At first I thought the niners could build an immediately good team next year due to all their cap space. But there aren't actually that many quality FA's this year. Mainly JAGs who are probably slightly overpaid. I guess they could have fun and get Star Lotulelei and Shel Richardson for an amazing DL but eh.

Might be better to sit on the cap until next year.

Lots of potential in the WR market, some decent OL, a few TEs. Plenty of money and an attractive opportunity to play with Jimmy G in the Shanahan system should make anyone they target seriously consider the offer. They can go a long way to filling the holes in their offense with free agency, and use the draft for what’s left (they have multiple picks in several rounds again this year).

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I thought SF had 2 stud rookie skill players and a decent WR corp?

What are their biggest holes?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Also I'm not taking shots at FA. I love FA. A huge part of why the Seahawks had that 2013 Super Bowl run is because instead of chasing the top DL FA, they went after a handful of the top 5 guys.

I'm a huge fan of diversifying with lots of good FAs instead of going for a few great FAs.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

OL is a big issue
A true #1 WR is an issue
Edge pass rush is a MASSIVE GODDAMN PROBLEM
Secondary is extremely inconsistent
LB depth is an issue

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Spoeank posted:

OL is a big issue
A true #1 WR is an issue
LB depth is an issue

how was solomon thomas this year?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

EmbryoSteve posted:

He's going to be an elite run stopper.

Too bad what they needed is a pass rusher.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I'd rank them in this order: OG, LEO, CB, WR.

Edit: Trent Taylor is a great slot WR, and Marquise Goodwin is a fantastic complimentary WR, but their nominal primary target is Pierre Garcon, who's now over 30 and still rehabbing a neck injury he got mid-way through the season.

This list of young UFA WRs makes me very happy:

Sammy Watkins
Allen Robinson
Donte Moncrief
Jordan Matthews
Jarvis Landry
Marqise Lee
Jaron Brown

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 4, 2018

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

EmbryoSteve posted:

He's been a big force behind their run D turnaround. I can't find it now but I'm pretty sure he led the team in TFL. He has promise as a big time run stuffer.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Spoeank posted:

OL is a big issue
A true #1 WR is an issue
LB depth is an issue

Sign my boys alex okafor and sam acho

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

hifi posted:

Sign my boys alex okafor and sam acho

More like Trent Murphy :getin:

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

Cody Davis is a decent backup, shame he was out for most of the year. Easley could still come back, but he's torn his ACLs 4 times now though? I thought Wade Phillips could make him a pretty good 3-4.

I still thought Andrew Donnal and Cody Wichmann were on the roster for reserve offensive linemen.

I'd love to see Easley come back, but that's a lot of blown up knees to come back from.

Wichmann didn't make the final 53, and Donnal was cut when they activated Dunbar.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Coldforge posted:

:hfive: Rams fans.

:hfive:

EmbryoSteve posted:

If Earl wants out then I think now is the time to sell. I will take cowboys 1st and 2nd and 4th this year and 1st and 3rd next year.

:what:

Coldforge posted:

This list of young UFA WRs makes me very happy:

Sammy Watkins
Allen Robinson
Donte Moncrief
Jordan Matthews
Jarvis Landry
Marqise Lee
Jaron Brown

I'd love if the Rams could get Robinson if they don't re-sign Sammy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SourKraut posted:

Maybe trade him to... ugh... the Patriots... so he gets one last shot at a ring?

The Niners can both afford him and get good use out of him.

:getin:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcnHN_mHI3g

What do you reckon, movie stars are runs?

edit: if his calling is literally Formation - motion - single word play call it's proof that McVay capital G Gets It. Imo.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Jan 4, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Seahawks needs:

- DE, Avril is gone, Bennett is probably gone, MacDowell probably won't ever play. It's barren
- DB, Kam is probably gone (or won't play), Sherman won't be the same, and Earl is a question mark. I hope we bring back Maxwell for a year or two as a stopgap.
- RB, I'd rather not waste our 1st round pick on one though
- TE, Graham is probably gone, Willson sucks and isn't a TE1. Vannett looks decent but mainly as a blocker

Offensive line-wise, its probably going to be a game of musical chairs. I expect Pocic to move into more of a starter-role, and if Fant comes back healthy enough to play, that helps a lot. Ifedi's probably going to play out his rookie contract, sadly. It'll look like Brown-Pocic-Britt-Ifedi-Fant or something.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

algebra testes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcnHN_mHI3g

What do you reckon, movie stars are runs?

edit: if his calling is literally Formation - motion - single word play call it's proof that McVay capital G Gets It. Imo.

I knew he was young, but holy poo poo. It’s going to be interesting to see how he ages after several years as HC.

that one guy
Jun 3, 2005

Coldforge posted:

I knew he was young, but holy poo poo. It’s going to be interesting to see how he ages after several years as HC.
He seems like a cool guy. It was interesting how he had to walk the line between "this game doesn't matter and that's why we're sitting our starters" and "this game matters." Don't want the guys to get too discouraged but wanting them to still play hard, etc.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
It must be jarring to go from old man disciplinarian Fisher to young hip super-genius McVay

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

seiferguy posted:

Seahawks needs:

- DE, Avril is gone, Bennett is probably gone, MacDowell probably won't ever play. It's barren
- DB, Kam is probably gone (or won't play), Sherman won't be the same, and Earl is a question mark. I hope we bring back Maxwell for a year or two as a stopgap.
- RB, I'd rather not waste our 1st round pick on one though
- TE, Graham is probably gone, Willson sucks and isn't a TE1. Vannett looks decent but mainly as a blocker

Offensive line-wise, its probably going to be a game of musical chairs. I expect Pocic to move into more of a starter-role, and if Fant comes back healthy enough to play, that helps a lot. Ifedi's probably going to play out his rookie contract, sadly. It'll look like Brown-Pocic-Britt-Ifedi-Fant or something.

I agree our biggest needs are OL DL and RB. And yeah, we definitely should not spend a 1st on RB. Then probably OLB is our biggest need.

10 years ago I'd agree with you about Sherman. But with the medicine and steroids we have today, he'll be fine.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I agree our biggest needs are OL DL and RB. And yeah, we definitely should not spend a 1st on RB. Then probably OLB is our biggest need.

10 years ago I'd agree with you about Sherman. But with the medicine and steroids we have today, he'll be fine.

Achilles tears seem to be a little bit more impactful than acl/mcl stuff and Sherman ain’t exactly young for a cornerback.

Schwack
Jan 31, 2003

Someone needs to stop this! Sherman has lost his mind! Peyton is completely unable to defend himself out there!

Benne posted:

Earl isn't going anywhere

Yeah, this is almost as dumb as people wanting to trade Russell.

Lots of FA's coming up, but none I'm too bummed about. Losing Graham will suck, but he's been pretty poor outside of the touchdowns. He's had lots of crucial drops between the 20s and doesn't attack the ball in the air the way you might think. When a 5'10" cornerback is snatching the ball away from a dude that huge, there's a problem.

Unless an amazing RB or OL falls to them, I sure hope they're stocking DB and DE.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

A3th3r posted:

Yeah, Cousins seems to think he can get better money elsewhere. That may or may not be true. The Redskins do not have a very deep bench so yah the qb can pretty much run the table if he wants to. That can make for a fun team that is effective. I should probably at least mention that the Minnesota Vikings are the #2 seed based on the strength of their offensive line & defensive line, not their QB, so, you know, different strokes for different folks I guess.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...m=.6ef10edb7e74

The last three years he's averaged 27 touchdowns, 12 interceptions and 4,392 yards at 7.8 per attempt and 11.6 per completion. I can't see there not be a huge bidding war.

insulated staircase
Aug 21, 2014

is it impossible to keep Wagner AND Thomas?

the rest aren't as important IMO

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

insulated staircase posted:

is it impossible to keep Wagner AND Thomas?

the rest aren't as important IMO
Absolutely, if they want to. Heck they already have done so because both are on big contracts now.

Plus the Seahawks have ~$18 mil in cap this year before cutting anybody and neither Bobby or Earl are FAs this year.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Charlz Guybon posted:

The last three years he's averaged 27 touchdowns, 12 interceptions and 4,392 yards at 7.8 per attempt and 11.6 per completion. I can't see there not be a huge bidding war.

yeah its gonna come down to several teams that could really get sustained success with a proven QB (sorry keenum and bridgewater) e.g. Jags/Vikes

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
What makes the Seahawks the team that Maxwell plays decently on? I remember him being good, traded to the Eagles where he was (as I recall) the worst starter for that position, then comes back and is good again.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Hurry up with these playoffs

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Please start the playoff game now thank you

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Vhak lord of hate posted:

What makes the Seahawks the team that Maxwell plays decently on? I remember him being good, traded to the Eagles where he was (as I recall) the worst starter for that position, then comes back and is good again.

Probably scheme. Pete loves those big press corners, and he's always seemed to find a way to use them up to their potential. Still unbelievable to me that they made a useful player out of Brandon Browner.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

yeah it's pretty easy when you have one corner locked down and safety help over the top and you are 6'3+. the cards had tharold simon and i think another random giant seahawks-drafted corner and they both played fine to my eyes but probably did something stupid that got them cut

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Coaching and scheming defence in general is so much easier if you have a lockdown corner that can shutdown the other teams top receiver on their own.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

shirts and skins posted:

Probably scheme. Pete loves those big press corners, and he's always seemed to find a way to use them up to their potential. Still unbelievable to me that they made a useful player out of Brandon Browner.

I was so upset when Browner signed with the Seahawks. He was a monster on my hometown CFL team for a few years.

Also I'm sure the Niners would take Thomas off Seattle's hands for a bit

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jan 7, 2018

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
If the Rams lose this game because of a Blake Countess gently caress up, I will be the happiest person on my street.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I don't think it's all attributable to Sherman - after all, Maxwell did his best work after Sherman tore his Achilles. Unless, that is, you're referring to Shaq Thompson as a shutdown corner, and something tells me you aren't.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Rams will never win the division again, nor should they

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Bubba Smith posted:

Rams will never win the division again, nor should they

crazier comebacks have happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

crazier comebacks have happened

Name one time today!

• Locked thread