Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

MrOnBicycle posted:

I wonder if that BMW is braking at maximum capacity. Speaking of, I've noticed this as a general trend in dashcam videos. Apart from all the Polish and Russian videos where people are running bald tires during the winter, people are having enormous brake distances even after it's obvious that they are braking. I know we have braking tests during our driving education in Sweden, but I still feel that people are massively under-using their brakes in emergencies.
I tried to brake as hard and fast as I could in my dads V70 and it felt like my face was about to tear off.

Be required to demonstrate a modicum of car control skill? On an American drivers' license exam? You must be joking.

Your average driver here has no idea what 100% braking feels like. Before I got in to HPDE instruction, I instructed at a car control clinic that was geared towards accident avoidance and street-usable control skills. One of the drills was a simple braking exercise: accelerate to 50mph, then stomp the brakes. At least half of the students would fail the first run because they didn't hit the brakes hard enough and about 10% required 3 or more passes though the drill before they would give 100% braking. And these were people enthusiastic enough about driving to sign up and pay for a car control clinic.

e: Even the people who did it right the first time were often shocked at how quickly the car came to a stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
If poo poo from the backseat floors isn't bouncing off the windshield, you're not fully hitting the brakes. I've locked up the brakes and spun (one of the front ones had blown seals) a '70s car, and done a max-effort stop in a couple of modern ABS-equipped cars. Quite an experience.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I remember one time I was driving down a street and braked pretty hard for a light turning red, and my friend in the car was shocked at how fast we stopped. And it was still a bit away from lockup/abs and not on particularly good tires.

You would think changing a tire, pumping gas, checking the oil, being able to use the brakes etc, would be things everyone can do. Those commercials with idiots constantly almost crashing but the car saves them with auto braking and lane detection etc piss me off so much, but on the other hand if they keep people from crashing I guess it's a good thing.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

jamal posted:

Those commercials with idiots constantly almost crashing but the car saves them with auto braking and lane detection etc piss me off so much, but on the other hand if they keep people from crashing I guess it's a good thing.

I hate those commercials.

"Nah, it's ok not to pay attention while you're driving, the car will save you!"

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Anyone who needs that stuff probably shouldn't be driving.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably not but I can't see how auto braking makes my life worse, if it keeps someone from plowing me at a light I'm all for it.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

xzzy posted:

Probably not but I can't see how auto braking makes my life worse, if it keeps someone from plowing me at a light I'm all for it.

Not to mention sometimes even responsible drivers sometimes make mistakes.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FBS posted:

These are the "Drive Like Your Family Lives Here" traffic safety awareness signs completely blocking the left turn lane's view of oncoming traffic you share a road with:

I've never seen a five colour stoplight before. What's it for? Are some arrows?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Looks like the two between the green (rightmost) and amber (second from left) are L/R arrows.

What bugs me is that the signal lights are horizontal.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yep. From left to right it's Red, Yellow, Yellow Arrow, Green Arrow, Green.

You can still turn left on the solid green if there's no incoming traffic, unless, y'know, somebody puts a big sign in the way and you can't see :v:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

Fermented Tinal posted:

Looks like the two between the green (rightmost) and amber (second from left) are L/R arrows.

What bugs me is that the signal lights are horizontal.

Looks like red - yellow - yellow arrow - green arrow - solid green to me. With that many, horizontal makes some kind of structural sense.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Javid posted:

yellow arrow

What is this nonsense?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Fermented Tinal posted:

What is this nonsense?

The City of Plano's website posted:

At a few locations in Plano, drivers are accustomed to seeing left turn signals where there is initially a green arrow followed by a yellow arrow, by a circular red. On the green arrow, drivers are given the right of way to complete left turns free of any other traffic conflicts. The yellow arrow warns drivers that the left turn signal is ending. On the circular red, left turns are not permitted. These types of arrows are helpful; but when there is no opposing traffic, they can cause unnecessary delays.

At many locations in the city, a different type of left turn signal has been implemented. Left turn signals provide the usual green arrow which is usually followed by the normal yellow arrow; but after the yellow arrow has terminated, drivers are now faced with a circular green signal. During the display of the circular green signal, left turns can be made when there are adequate gaps in opposing traffic to complete the turn safely. This helps minimize delay by allowing vehicles to turn after opposing traffic has cleared.

:eng101: My photo was in Dallas, not Plano, but the lights look the same.

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

What is this nonsense?

Solar Coaster fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jan 5, 2018

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Fermented Tinal posted:

What is this nonsense?

In some states flashing yellow indicates that you may make a left turn but must yield right of way to oncoming traffic. The idea is that it limits ambiguity at intersections that have controlled lefts at other times so you either get green arrow, flashing yellow arrow or red arrow.

Javid posted:

Looks like red - yellow - yellow arrow - green arrow - solid green to me. With that many, horizontal makes some kind of structural sense.

Wisconsin does horizontal for all stoplights. I don't know of any others that do this.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I thought the flashing left arrow was weird at first, but the first time the oncoming traffic is clear, and you have the flashing yellow meaning you can go while the traffic going straight on your side still has the red is when you realize it's amazing.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
My city put a yellow arrow in for people turning into a grocery store and it's helped with congestion on that road a fair bit. Of course during snow it's season good luck getting to use it, but it's nice the rest of the year.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Fermented Tinal posted:

What is this nonsense?

Have you never seen a stoplight with a shielded left?

As other have pointed out, the flashing yellow is a new thing, but yellow arrows have been around for a long time.
They typically follow a green arrow to indicate that oncoming traffic is about to get a green light and the left will no longer be shielded and you must yield.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xergm posted:

Have you never seen a stoplight with a shielded left?

As other have pointed out, the flashing yellow is a new thing, but yellow arrows have been around for a long time.
They typically follow a green arrow to indicate that oncoming traffic is about to get a green light and the left will no longer be shielded and you must yield.

Or you’re about to get a red arrow and be barred from turning.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

I'm iffy to say "I wish this happened more often" since it would imply more fires to respond to, but

I wish this happened more often.

haha rekt

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Platystemon posted:

Or you’re about to get a red arrow and be barred from turning.

There's one near my house that goes green arrow, yellow arrow, red arrow, then back to blinking yellow arrow with also a solid green for straight traffic. The idea is to stop all traffic for a moment so turning cars clear the intersection before the straight lanes get the green, but really what happens is that people end up making a lot of left turns on a red arrow since there's so much additional time.

Edit: On braking chat: My fiance thought it was hilarious and a ton of fun being in the 911 with me when I was bedding Hawk pads in it. The sensation is really nuts for people who aren't used to it. She also got to be a passenger with me once at a track day and she freaking loved it--my butthole was clenching while braking and locking up from 120mph in the rain but she's there laughing and clapping as the car was sliding around. She's pretty great.

Dave Inc. fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 5, 2018

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

One of the worst things I've shared a road with is a 4-way intersection containing a 3-way stop. The CostCo near me has one as part of the most awful parking lot I've ever seen and I don't think I will ever be shopping there due to the frustration of getting in/out at all but the emptiest times.

Incoming traffic can't figure it out and stops despite the fact that they have the unconditional right of way. Outgoing traffic can't figure it out either and will nearly cause a collision every cycle because they don't stop for the incoming traffic that has no stop sign. On top of that, the entire lot is composed of narrow one-way aisles and basically becomes entirely gridlocked as soon as the entrance intersection shows signs of becoming backed up.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 5, 2018

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Teeter posted:

One of the worst things I've shared a road with is a 4-way intersection containing a 3-way stop. The CostCo near me has one as part of the most awful parking lot I've ever seen and I don't think I will ever be shopping there due to the frustration of getting in/out at all but the emptiest times.

Incoming traffic can't figure it out and stops despite the fact that they have the unconditional right of way. Outgoing traffic can't figure it out either and will nearly cause a collision every cycle because they don't stop for the incoming traffic that has no stop sign. On top of that, the entire lot is composed of narrow one-way aisles and basically becomes entirely gridlocked as soon as the entrance intersection shows signs of becoming backed up.

Costco parking lots are always really busy, but every one I've ever seen was also really badly designed. It's really weird.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

epic bird guy posted:

In some states flashing yellow indicates that you may make a left turn but must yield right of way to oncoming traffic. The idea is that it limits ambiguity at intersections that have controlled lefts at other times so you either get green arrow, flashing yellow arrow or red arrow.

Wisconsin does horizontal for all stoplights. I don't know of any others that do this.

As a Wisconsin resident, where on earth did you get this idea?

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
These are the Uber drivers you share a road with:
https://twitter.com/KrisGoldsmith85/status/949291333860110338

Follow the link and scroll to the top

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
"There's no wiper fluid" while standing in front of display case of wiper fluid.

Pours wiper fluid on windshield straight out of the bottle.

:bang:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
91 loving dollars?!

:stare:

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

`Nemesis posted:

As a Wisconsin resident, where on earth did you get this idea?

Maybe its just all the ones in cities and towns on the Minnesota border, to help us remember we're in your strange country.

Though looking at street view, even some ones I remember at major intersections have changed in the past few years to vertical.

epic bird guy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 6, 2018

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

91 loving dollars?!

:stare:

Newark Airport to NYC or vice versa, sounds about right. There's a good $20 in tolls in that total, though.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Newark Airport to NYC or vice versa, sounds about right. There's a good $20 in tolls in that total, though.

God bless urban sprawl and me being spoiled by it because holy poo poo

I just now figured out how twitter works and see there's an entire story in that link. I...uh....hmmmmm Yeah I would have gotten out much sooner than that guy.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

God bless urban sprawl and me being spoiled by it because holy poo poo

I just now figured out how twitter works and see there's an entire story in that link. I...uh....hmmmmm Yeah I would have gotten out much sooner than that guy.

Lyft seems to be a lot better, I've gotten rides from my house in NJ to JFK or LaGuardia in NYC for ~$45 or so before.

e: actually what prompted my switch to Lyft was the time I needed to get to JFK, booked an Uber for $75, and the app crashed and when I restarted it, 5 seconds later, the ride cost had jumped to $115 :fuckoff:

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
Also I may be an upstate NY weirdo, but I don't even buy the blue fluid in the summer because winter always feels right around the corner.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

waffle iron posted:

Also I may be an upstate NY weirdo, but I don't even buy the blue fluid in the summer because winter always feels right around the corner.

It's ok, I've lived in VA for the past few years and I still keep an ice scraper in my car in the summer and never buy fluid that doesn't say it's good lower than -20

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

That's my favorite, sometimes set up to flash yellow first and only go full green if someone is stuck there waiting for a gap. That's my absolute favorite.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Sigma posted:

These are the Uber drivers you share a road with:
https://twitter.com/KrisGoldsmith85/status/949291333860110338

Follow the link and scroll to the top

Oh my god. I get people who are clueless about cars, it happens, but not knowing anything about wiper fluid? That's like, car maintenance for dummies step 1.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Protocol7 posted:

Oh my god. I get people who are clueless about cars, it happens, but not knowing anything about wiper fluid? That's like, car maintenance for dummies step 1.

I mean, so is pumping gas but here we are.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

jamal posted:

I mean, so is pumping gas but here we are.

I'm guessing most current Uber drivers have figured that out, unless they live in Oregon or NJ. Though at least the Oregonians have to learn how to do it now.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

All the pants making GBS threads over it is ridiculous since it only actually applies to like three counties that have roughly eleven people in each of them.

I wish they'd make it statewide so I could get some gas without having to wait for the one person working to finish their cigarette and come work the goddamned pump.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Protocol7 posted:

I'm guessing most current Uber drivers have figured that out, unless they live in Oregon or NJ. Though at least the Oregonians have to learn how to do it now.

Only if they wish to drive through rural areas at night, where stations used to send the attendant home and shut everything down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

I'm amazed Uber is still operating despite having so many scandals and so much bad press. VC cash truly is an endless fountain.