Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Brother Entropy posted:

teen titans go to the movies is going to be the best comic book movie of 2018, calling it now

I am so ready to be the only person in the theater watching this.

I actually went to The Powerpuff Girls: The Movie, I know how this goes :shepface:

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

ok, director of Doctor Strange, whatever you say.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

He’d fit in perfectly around here, though, considering that he thinks Watchmen Director’s Cut is one of the best movie ever.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

Doctor Strange had a director? I assumed it was just ordered, piece by piece, out of a catalogue.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

"He's behind me again, isn't he"

dublish posted:

A more complete power fantasy would have ended with Clark confronting the truck driver in person, as in Superman 2.

I mentioned this last thread but my favourite thing about that scene is that in the original scripts for the first two Donner movies Superman turns back time at the end of the second movie and the scene where he beats up the truck driver in the diner happens after that, so in that new timeline Clark has never been to that diner before and the truck driver has no loving idea who this guy is or why he's beating the poo poo out of him.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"He's behind me again, isn't he"

Cavill looks like a wax figure in these pictures, if his face didn't change slightly it would be even harder to tell if he was real.

Snowman_McK posted:

Doctor Strange had a director? I assumed it was just ordered, piece by piece, out of a catalogue.

nah, someone just spray painted the first Iron Man over with some magic-colored paint and put it back out there.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uhh sure dude.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Guy A. Person posted:

It's still hilarious that Mark loving Millar of all people claimed he was so traumatized by MoS that he had to create a more joyful comic. The guy's entire oeuvre is cynical over-the-top violence.

Nope, he's done numerous completely 'normal', non-cynical stories throughout his career before that, notably the Superman Adventures run. It's dishonest and disingenuous to claim everything he's done is in the exact same vein as Wanted, Nemesis, or The Authority.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

K. Waste posted:

Yeah but I don't really watch TV.

You couldn't even bring yourself to say that he looks like he farted, only that it's "kinda" like that, which means that it does not look like that and you know it.

If you're trying to poo poo-post, you really shouldn't extend yourself like that. Just say something false, it's easy, don't then qualify your falsehood with a admission of your own unreliability.
No I meant he kind of look like he farted. I am not seeing the deep display of emotion, it just looks like he's making a face

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Sentinel Red posted:

Nope, he's done numerous completely 'normal', non-cynical stories throughout his career before that, notably the Superman Adventures run. It's dishonest and disingenuous to claim everything he's done is in the exact same vein as Wanted, Nemesis, or The Authority.

Not my point but sure, you caught me, I was exaggerating for effect.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Margot Robbie received death threats after Suicide Squad because of "not my Harley Quinn" types.

https://screenrant.com/suicide-squad-margot-robbie-death-threats/

quote:

You’re about to be in a comic book film; now here’s the worst-case scenario of how big and scary it can get. There’s just all this stuff you learn along the way, like, when you get those death threats, it’s [smart] to have a security team do a background check on whoever sent them to see if there is any past history of violence because you’ll need to know whether you need security to go to certain events. And every time you do a background check, it’s going to cost $2,000, so take that into consideration when you’re getting yourself into this.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

JL Superman isn't not my Superman, but he's definitely not the others two movies Superman either, it's a differently behaving character with no real reason given why he developed into this.

Whedon did the same thing with Captain America in the Avengers movies, who is markedly different -- and worse -- in those than in his solo films. I think it's because he has a certain All-American Boy Scout archetype that he fits them both (and Cyclops from his Astonishing X-Men comics, Riley from BtVS) into with just small variations.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

Whedon did the same thing with Captain America in the Avengers movies, who is markedly different -- and worse -- in those than in his solo films. I think it's because he has a certain All-American Boy Scout archetype that he fits them both (and Cyclops from his Astonishing X-Men comics, Riley from BtVS) into with just small variations.

Didn't he actually write some of the First Avenger, though? I say this in a really passive way because a friend mentioned it and I just remember going "Really? But that guy sucks."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Corrosion posted:

Didn't he actually write some of the First Avenger, though?

I think Whedon did some dialogue touch-ups.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

Timby posted:

I think Whedon did some dialogue touch-ups.

Yeah, I was texting a friend just now and he linked me this:

http://www.slashfilm.com/joss-whedon-describes-his-script-work-on-captain-america-the-first-avenger/

And now I'm back to "Nah, gently caress that guy."

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Farg posted:

No I meant he kind of look like he farted. I am not seeing the deep display of emotion, it just looks like he's making a face

See, you're doing it again: actors are supposed to 'make faces,' there is no 'just making a face,' the physical performance has explicit dramatic significance.

I have not written about this bullshit idea you have of "deep display of emotion," I'm saying the performer does a very good job of conveying the character's pity for Clark and shame about his past behavior without words. You, on the other hand, can't even commit to a scatological joke. He only "kind of look like he farted," which implicitly means nothing. It has to be "kind of" because there is no clarity even to yourself of what someone looks like when they fart, or what emotion they would display, it's just this weird insult you've hurled at a child actor.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

If I was Superman and some slack jawed yokel truck driver poured beer on me and gave me a shove I’d do a lot worse than destroy his truck. I’d punch him so hard there would be nothing left of his body.

sponges fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 5, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why would the owner not kick that rear end in a top hat out his bar is what I'd like to know

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Sounds like you wouldn't make a very good Superman, then.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Why would the owner not kick that rear end in a top hat out his bar is what I'd like to know

Same with the diner owners in Superman 2 (You can tell be their reactions when he attacks the non powered Clark that this is not the first time that rear end attacked another customer)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That guy is probably their best customer, Clark is some new dude serving drinks and making trouble.

Also I've been to Alaska, the people who run small businesses up there are loving weirdos.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
He's at least been there long enough to develop some sort of flirtatious relationship with one of the servers. She even calls him "baby," but that might just be a generic, regional thing.

Also, the worst thing that the dude does isn't that he fucks with Clark, it's that he assaults the server. It is entirely unremarkable to me that a dude could get away with that sort of flagrantly sexist behavior.

edit:

Especially if he's a regular, which he probably is. He certainly talks to Clark like he is, or maybe I'm reading too much into his dickery.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

josh04 posted:

Blockbusters are defined by their mass popularity. That's what makes them interesting, and one of the reasons we're talking endlessly about Civil War and Batman V Superman and not, y'know, S04E05 of CW's 'The Flash'.

What's the alternative? Is it always inappropriate to think the general public are wrong about something? It's absolutely presumptuous, but why does that matter? Like, you can have an intellectual movement without it being a moral panic. It wasn't William Hayes' solid, well-reasoned shitposts on an internet forum that got the Hayes code adopted.

Eh I think its a careful road to tread, supposing that the general public is wrong about something is more than likely yours, mine, or really anyone's specific hang-ups and obsessions painting what they see in the world. I think the key is humility, and calibrating your opinions to be specific and justified. I don't have all the answers obviously.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
The "general public" as it's discussed by the Internet isn't real. The average person doesn't see any particular movie.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

K. Waste posted:

Also, the worst thing that the dude does isn't that he fucks with Clark, it's that he assaults the server. It is entirely unremarkable to me that a dude could get away with that sort of flagrantly sexist behavior.

Our current POTUS got elected after a tape of him bragging about sexual assault was released.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

In unrelated news, I'm still (very slowly) putting together a video review of Suicide Squad, and I just uploaded this preview chunk:

https://vimeo.com/249741838/0267ef16e8

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Spacebump posted:

Our current POTUS got elected after a tape of him bragging about sexual assault was released.

I think you may have misread K. He said the sexual assault was unremarkable.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

josh04 posted:

In unrelated news, I'm still (very slowly) putting together a video review of Suicide Squad, and I just uploaded this preview chunk:

I liked watching the parts with people going up.

Let us know when the review is done!

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

josh04 posted:

This is cool and good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

josh04 posted:

2018 is the year of the video essay.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

sponges posted:

If I was Superman and some slack jawed yokel truck driver poured beer on me and gave me a shove I’d do a lot worse than destroy his truck. I’d punch him so hard there would be nothing left of his body.

I'd single-handedly heft a keg and empty it on him after I pushed him to the ground.

I'd probably even toss out a jaunty quip too!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Sally Draper is the new Sabrina Spellman.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/409955-kiernan-shipka-cast-as-sabrina-in-new-tv-series#/slide/1

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
oh man everyone is posting their cool and good movie essays about cool and good movies, meanwhile here's this garbage

https://twitter.com/the_moviebob/status/949119115570176000

(all thre parts of the essay have a combined running time of two hundred and thirty-one minutes, to which we can add a two part essay on the future of the DCEU lasting 37 minutes and an essay on Justice League lasting 8 minutes; Batman V. Superman: Dawn of Justice's Ultimate cut is one hundred and fifty-one minutes)

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Goddamn. I can barely sit through Bob's 45 minute fanfic about Kevin Feige's big bold gamble on radical gamechanger THE AVENGERS (1.0). And as fast as he talks I can't even imagine what that poo poo would look like written out.

I appreciate that DoJ fuckin ground his gears that bad though. Raked his coals---baked his cakes. Made him real mad. Hahaha.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

That's a good choice.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
I was just rewatching the end of Mad Men & looking @ Kiernan Shipka's wikipedia filmography so thats got my full support

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

josh04 posted:

Nice, I've been working on a Suicide Squad effort post centered around the Joker and that scene, because it's sooo fuckin' good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoim_wTR1fU

But all those reverse scenes of people falling up makes me want to see some alien abductions happen that way.

sponges posted:

Same, but emo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTfbMioezc&t=24s

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/deadline/status/949059890953166848

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Hat Thoughts posted:

I was just rewatching the end of Mad Men & looking @ Kiernan Shipka's wikipedia filmography so thats got my full support

She's very good in The Blackcoat's Daughter