Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

I think Milkstreet is actually really good, the recipes are well researched and stuff I’ve never heard of before. Definitely NOT flavorless, as that’s exactly why Kimball left CI. Most of the serious articles are ethnic stuff where the writer was in [country] for [a week to a month] and then went to find the most authentic [thing] and wrote up how it was made and the best way to re-create it at home. It’s the polar opposite of CI these days.

I have only seen a few of the TV episodes so it may not be a good cross section, but I totally disagree. Milk Street still seems to be about dumbing down international recipes. It seems almost exactly the same as CI/ATK/whatever in terms of philosophy and style. CI is all about "best way to re-create it at home." (Plus Kimball is still an annoying dumbass but that's beside the point.)

It's still fetishizing "ethnic" and "most authentic" food to a crazy degree, which to me means that they're already wayyy of track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Someone posted a few pages of the first issue, Steve Yun maybe, and it was horrible. Almost seemed like a parody. One thing that stands out in my memory is that he recommended against maillard IIRC.

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Someone posted a few pages of the first issue, Steve Yun maybe, and it was horrible. Almost seemed like a parody. One thing that stands out in my memory is that he recommended against maillard IIRC.

https://www.177milkstreet.com/2017/03/au-revoir-maillard

Hauki
May 11, 2010

In what world is parsley a substitute for cilantro?

:colbert:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Hauki posted:

In what world is parsley a substitute for cilantro?

:colbert:

Well, you see, they're both green and look similar, so

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
In the Peruvian chicken ep of ATK some other chef had to ask Kimball to stop crying about there being a habanero in the wet rub

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
:siren: PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT :siren:

Steve Yun posted:

It's here! It's here!

I'm pretty sure the main point of contention between Cooks Illustrated and Christopher Kimball was whether he got to keep writing folksy essays or not

Steve Yun posted:

The review section of Christopher Kimball's new magazine only list items that he recommends. I find this less useful, because Cooks illustrated not only told you what was good, but which ones to avoid as well.

Steve Yun posted:

Christopher kimball's hot new take: maillard is for losers

Steve Yun posted:

Someone still has a chip on their shoulder about Kenji's pie crust recipe

Steve Yun posted:

OK, I think I can guess who the core audience for this magazine is

Might be ungrateful of me because when I was first learning to cook, ATK was one of my early cooking resources that got me my sea legs

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 3, 2018

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
My thing against milkstreet is that the recipes are more flavorful than America’s test kitchen but that’s only because America’s test kitchen hardly ever does international foods. As far as doing international foods, they’re really bland rear end white people‘s version of the dishes. Also, everything about the show is washed out and bland and stupid and Chris Kimball can eat my butt hole.

Also he’s a jerk.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
someone get kenji a forums account

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

VERTiG0 posted:

Cause there's not enough insufferable pedants in here.

This from an insufferable pedant.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.

GrAviTy84 posted:

This from an insufferable pedant.

I think that's why I like Kenji's stuff so much; half of his writing is unbearable personal essay dreck, but the rest of him is as rip-roarin' pedantic and food-centric as a good GWS thread ten years ago.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

VERTiG0 posted:

But he already is a goon:

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i like reading the essays that accompany recipes. cooking is at its best when it’s an interpersonal experience rather than a purely solitary one, and a little background and humanity helps bring some of that experience to the rather sterile experience of reading a recipe out of a book. recipes take a lot of time and effort to build, and if I find a recipe interesting enough to read and I get to read about the process or the person behind it, all the better.

even when they sound insufferable

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
boy howdy you guys sure have thought about internet-poster 'kenji' a whole lot more than I ever intend to

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008
M.F.K Fischer hast wrought such evil, blizzard at 11, get boned.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Because the name is awful. "clotted" makes me think of bodily fluids... Same with "brown sauce", although I hate that, and I like clotted cream.

One of the two best known brands of it is called 'Daddy's Sauce' if that helps you any :sun: Goes great on some Mr. Brains' brand faggots.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Never ever cook eggs in a carton in a cast iron. It took like 30 minutes of scrubbing to get all the gunk off.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

feedmegin posted:

One of the two best known brands of it is called 'Daddy's Sauce' if that helps you any :sun: Goes great on some Mr. Brains' brand faggots.

ivanka loves daddy's sauce

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Never ever cook eggs in a carton in a cast iron. It took like 30 minutes of scrubbing to get all the gunk off.

Wait what? Like egg beaters egg substitute?

Whenever my cast iron is being a bitch to clean I just burn the ever loving poo poo out of whatever's on there and brush off the carbonized stuff with a wire brush.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Borscht day today.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

GrAviTy84 posted:

Whenever my cast iron is being a bitch to clean I just burn the ever loving poo poo out of whatever's on there and brush off the carbonized stuff with a wire brush.

The correct technique

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

CommonShore posted:

Borscht day today.

That's always an excellent day. Please post your recipe, I'd like to compare it with what I usually do.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I got The Food Lab from my gf's parents this Christmas. Holy poo poo that is a big book. What's the best approach here? Pick a topic I am I interested in, e.g. eggs and then read the chapter on them, or is it a book you can actually read through as a bedside book? I leafed through it and it seems to have a ton of info.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Hopper posted:

I got The Food Lab from my gf's parents this Christmas. Holy poo poo that is a big book. What's the best approach here? Pick a topic I am I interested in, e.g. eggs and then read the chapter on them, or is it a book you can actually read through as a bedside book? I leafed through it and it seems to have a ton of info.

cook poo poo
whenever you cook the poo poo, refer to the poo poo chapter in the book

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Hopper posted:

His pancake recipe is a lot of work but they're A+

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bartolimu posted:

That's always an excellent day. Please post your recipe, I'd like to compare it with what I usually do.

Well I'm not working from a recipe, because borscht is in my mind a "work with what's around" soup, but here's the plan that's in my head:

Right now I'm making some dark stock out of a bunch of mediocre pork and bones - fatty rib end "country-style" chops. As that cooks a bit I'll start fish the nicer meaty bits out and leave in the bones in the stock while I need it.

Meanwhile I'll build the rest of the soup out of 4 or 5 pounds of beets, celery, carrots, onions, all with a hyperbolic amount garlic and dill. The beets will be half shredded - that is, I'll peel them, grate them half way each, and then chop up the stump instead of let my fingers get anywhere near the grater. I like beet chunks anyway. I have two or three potatoes which need to be used, so they'll go in. I also have some leftover wild rice which I plan to add. I also have about a litre of Christmas turkey stock and about a litre of garden tomato pasatta which I'll put in once I start spooning the pork stock in to the soup.

e. and cabbage.

Salt and pepper to taste.

I don't add any creamy stuff because my girlfriend (who is a Polish-Ukrainian country girl, and thus a borscht authority) doesn't like it. I find it also freezes better without it.

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 6, 2018

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Hopper posted:

Pick a topic I am I interested in, e.g. eggs and then read the chapter on them, or is it a book you can actually read through as a bedside book?

Both. I got it Christmas 2016 but didn't start reading it until this December. I'm reading through all text minus the actual recipes (still reading recipe intros and notes re: ingredients and techniques) and I'm enjoying it.

When we needed a salad for Christmas, though, I skipped to the salad section and it didn't take too long. I'm still not done, reading about a chapter per weekend, leaving post-its on pages I want to cook.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Arrgytehpirate posted:

GrAviTy84 posted:

I'd also like to know. If it's normal eggs giving you problems, I'd strip the seasoning down to 0 and start over. I'm doing that tomorrow with the first cast iron I ever owned and subsequently ruined, so I'll document and post here if you like.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

I'd also like to know. If it's normal eggs giving you problems, I'd strip the seasoning down to 0 and start over. I'm doing that tomorrow with the first cast iron I ever owned and subsequently ruined, so I'll document and post here if you like.

I’m doing it later this week. I looked up a YouTube on how to start one over.

This is my first cast iron as well. I got it for my birthday in October and it’s been great so far, but the fake eggs in a carton ruined it so bad. Even after yesterday’s scrubbing it’s just messed up.

I’d love to see how yours comes out. I’m going to post pictures of mine.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

How do you ruin a cast iron pan? Don’t you just cook more and more bacon in it until it’s fixed?

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Horn posted:

His pancake recipe is a lot of work but they're A+

The fluffy one? I mean, a lot of work is "beating an egg white" but that's my go to non-crepe recipe. Works with yogurt, blueberries, cornmeal, whatever.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I got given Modernist Cuisine at Home as a gift but I'm considering selling it as it seem quite meaty.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Scientastic posted:

How do you ruin a cast iron pan? Don’t you just cook more and more bacon in it until it’s fixed?

No, please no

Fake seasoning can kinda work for cooking meats, but don't try to cook anything delicate or particularly sticky in it. Fake seasoning is when you gingerly scrub it, never use soap, and treat it like gramps used to: add more oil on top of the old stuff. If your pan is oily, you'll get a bit of nonstickness, but to cook eggs you need real seasoning.

Real seasoning is polymerized oil, which has bonded with your pan to the point that scrubbing hard with soap doesn't damage it. You should be able to wipe a dry cast iron pan with a napkin and your napkin should come off 100% clean, no oil or crud. From the cast iron thread OP:

Bob Saget IRL posted:

It’s cast iron. It’s a metal that’s been used to conquer peoples and forge empires. You’re not going to destroy it on your stove, grill or campfire. You may screw up the seasoning, but chances are, you will only ruin what wasn’t really any real seasoning anyway. Why? Because you don’t wash your pan.

Wash your pan? Yes, wash it. My laymen’s way of explaining is: the fats that stick to the pan, will stick to the pan. A good, quick wash with a thick thistle plastic brush and soap will not take off seasoning. What does come off was not polymerized, and is not seasoning.
I’ve done the whole coarse salt and heat and oil thing, and it works to a point, but seemed to take more time and effort after more uses of the pan. Washing like a normal dish has provided the best results. But, drying is an additional step worth taking.

DO NOT SOAK YOUR PAN, OR LET WATER REST ON IT. Rust is bad, Mmmmkay. After you wash it, dry it well with paper towels. Put it back on the stove over a med-low heat, and let the heat take out the rest of the moisture. Once it’s thoroughly dry, sprinkle a bit of vegetable oil (or oil with a higher smoke point [olive oil is not a good oil for this]), and wipe it all over the pan until it’s just about dry. It’s oil, so you’re are not going to be able to wipe it all out, and that’s the goal. Do the inside, handle and underside; whatever oil you can’t wipe out is the perfect amount to leave. You don’t want to leave excess oil in the pan, because it starts to get sticky and catch dust and what have you. The tiny bit of oil you leave, you want to polymerize. Leave it on the stove until it starts to smoke. Just when it starts to smoke, turn the heat off {this is why I use med-low heat, because you don’t have to be very mindful).

(I added bolding to that last bit)

It's a lovely thing to be able to scrub a pan with cast iron and soap with impunity, and to not have rancid old oil in my pan. Bacon fat is good for flavoring, but I can easily add some from the jar in my fridge if I need it.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jan 6, 2018

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

therattle posted:

I got given Modernist Cuisine at Home as a gift but I'm considering selling it as it seem quite meaty.

Speaking of, I have the complete modernist cuisine set that I have no real use for. Anyone know if there is a resale market for these things? Or am I condemned to bring it with me wherever I move forever and ever.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

BrianBoitano posted:

No, please no

Fake seasoning can kinda work for cooking meats, but don't try to cook anything delicate or particularly sticky in it. Fake seasoning is when you gingerly scrub it, never use soap, and treat it like gramps used to: add more oil on top of the old stuff. If your pan is oily, you'll get a bit of nonstickness, but to cook eggs you need real seasoning.

Real seasoning is polymerized oil, which has bonded with your pan to the point that scrubbing hard with soap doesn't damage it. You should be able to wipe a dry cast iron pan with a napkin and your napkin should come off 100% clean, no oil or crud. From the cast iron thread OP:

(I added bolding to that last bit)

It's a lovely thing to be able to scrub a pan with cast iron and soap with impunity, and to not have rancid old oil in my pan. Bacon fat is good for flavoring, but I can easily add some from the jar in my fridge if I need it.

OK, well, my fake seasoning withstands a scrubbing brush and soap and nothing I cook sticks or tastes of rancid fat. I guess I’ve just had my cast iron pan for a long time and it’s seasoned from years of use?

I’ve honestly never given a poo poo about it, it’s just done its thing for years and I’ve basically just made sure it’s thoroughly dried after I wash it. Maybe I need to buy a new pan to properly understand.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Like I said, fake seasoning will work better than a bare stainless pan for less-than-finicky fare. It's safer for high-heat "non-stick" than a teflon pan. But for stuff that likes to stick like eggs or baked goods, you want polymerized oil and nothing else.

Your seasoning may have polymerized over time, but if a napkin test comes off with anything other than oil (usually specks of black carbonized protein) then you have polymerized oil and some other crap layered in. That's the stuff that you accidentally stir up if you use a metal utensil, and if any is exposed whatever you're cooking may stick to it. Well, more than it would to a scrubbed-clean, only-polymerized-oil pan.

Plus it just looks and feels lovely :allears:

Jan 2017, right after I wiped it to 0 and re-seasoned:

Same pan, today (1 year later):

Back when I used grampa's method:

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

BrianBoitano posted:

Like I said, fake seasoning will work better than a bare stainless pan for less-than-finicky fare. It's safer for high-heat "non-stick" than a teflon pan. But for stuff that likes to stick like eggs or baked goods, you want polymerized oil and nothing else.

Your seasoning may have polymerized over time, but if a napkin test comes off with anything other than oil (usually specks of black carbonized protein) then you have polymerized oil and some other crap layered in. That's the stuff that you accidentally stir up if you use a metal utensil, and if any is exposed whatever you're cooking may stick to it. Well, more than it would to a scrubbed-clean, only-polymerized-oil pan.

Plus it just looks and feels lovely :allears:

Jan 2017, right after I wiped it to 0 and re-seasoned:

Same pan, today (1 year later):

Back when I used grampa's method:

Woah that is a beautiful pan. Mine looks like the last picture but with more crap on the bottom.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

therattle posted:

Jay Carney posted:

Speaking of, I have the complete modernist cuisine set that I have no real use for. Anyone know if there is a resale market for these things? Or am I condemned to bring it with me wherever I move forever and ever.

Consider me curious

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I think vintage (milled smooth) vs new production (rough as-cast surface) makes a big difference too in how forgiving it is about old school “just use it” seasoning. Until this christmas my only cast-iron pan was a milled pan. I’ve never been super finnicky about the seasoning and never had any ill results.

Now granted, nothing ever touches that pan without it being preheated with some cooking fat, which will keep anything from sticking to anything, so who knows. But I’ve never done anything more than wipe with a paper towel, salt, and oil and nothing’s stuck to it in years.

e: that said, the intricate meticulous seasoning that folks with new pans expouse seems to get good results so don’t be like “welp gotta find a vintage pan now” or w/e

Cactus Ghost fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
My seasoning looks like poo poo. Flakey and uneven and rough, but it's been working fine for 10 years so who cares!
(I can't stop frying tomatoes and onions in it)