Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Out of curiosity, do they have any spreadsheets with sort of just a 50/50 split on strength and hypertrophy? I mean I understand even if you go for pure hypertrophy, that will build a good base and you'll still get some strength out of it, and vice versa, so I guess what I'm asking - do they have anything that still has a decent focus towards increasing strength on the compounds, but still considers aesthetics? Or is it perhaps a deal where you cycle them, like a hypertrophy phase then a peaking phase? I just don't want to spend that much money and not get the right thing.

The man who chases two rabbits...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
It's fuckin new year's baby, the gym is the loudest I've heard it this early in months.

We've got loud deadlift guy (a regular, not a problem), tssahhh every rep guy, drop the stacks every time on the machines/cables girls and plenty of "I haven't been here in a while, I lost my tag" folks.

S'only gonna get worse.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is that one guy still drawing his New Years gym horrors comics?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Constipated posted:

Goblet squats!!!

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Out of curiosity, do they have any spreadsheets with sort of just a 50/50 split on strength and hypertrophy?
The powerlifting templates are split into hypertrophy, strength and peaking. You run them in blocks and they're sold individually.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Guyver posted:

The powerlifting templates are split into hypertrophy, strength and peaking. You run them in blocks and they're sold individually.

Thanks, I figured it was something like that. Dum Cumster made a good point about it being worth the money. I'm still going to do my 5/3/1 thing for a while though, I was curious for future purposes.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Thanks, I figured it was something like that. Dum Cumster made a good point about it being worth the money. I'm still going to do my 5/3/1 thing for a while though, I was curious for future purposes.

The powerlifting hypertrophy template would be the one you want to try, and they say you can run it for up to 3 blocks/months in a row. Also they really have put most of the info you need to create a program on their site, if money is tight. You should be good on 5/3/1 for a long time though.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Chief McHeath posted:

It's fuckin new year's baby, the gym is the loudest I've heard it this early in months.

We've got loud deadlift guy (a regular, not a problem), tssahhh every rep guy, drop the stacks every time on the machines/cables girls and plenty of "I haven't been here in a while, I lost my tag" folks.

S'only gonna get worse.

I do my very best not to judge people at the gym because i know im poo poo and im sure people are looking at me and thinking i'm a complete wanker, buuut there's a dude who grunts with every rep! It's not just normal grunting but like I'm trying to take a huuuuge poo poo grunt. He does like a million reps of everything and he's tiny.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I signed up for a powerlifting coach starting on friday, as i mentioned, and i asked if he could let me stay on 5/3/1 but he said hes pretty keen to get me onto a custom program based on 5's and 3's. Shame because i really like the big volume that comes with 531. Pulled 405 for 13 reps last night starting the new year with a PR so i'll be sad to get off that train.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sludge Tank posted:

I signed up for a powerlifting coach starting on friday, as i mentioned, and i asked if he could let me stay on 5/3/1 but he said hes pretty keen to get me onto a custom program based on 5's and 3's. Shame because i really like the big volume that comes with 531. Pulled 405 for 13 reps last night starting the new year with a PR so i'll be sad to get off that train.

Sounds like he wants you to start powerlifting instead of doing cardio.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Dum Cumpster posted:

The powerlifting hypertrophy template would be the one you want to try, and they say you can run it for up to 3 blocks/months in a row. Also they really have put most of the info you need to create a program on their site, if money is tight. You should be good on 5/3/1 for a long time though.

Ah yeah. I'm still doing my little 5x3 version of BBB deal. Once I hit whatever weight I settle at, I originally was planning on trying nSuns, but I was also considering trying Wendler's Building The Monolith. My body has been behaving very well even when losing weight and I sort of want to try and push volume a bit and see what happens.

Tomorrow is 1+ OHP day. My first two workouts of the year have been great so far, I'm hoping I can keep the inertia going. Also my brother gave me an ab wheel and I'm getting the hang of it. I don't do abs too often in the gym because I'm always trying to get out of there pretty quickly so it's nice that I can do ab stuff just whenever now at home.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I am going to the gym, wish me luck

Gonna show these new years noobs my Powerful rear end in the squat rack

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
War... War never changes.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Also I blew up both my shoulders via mystery ailment so it seems like I'll be starting up the RP Leg Template again boys.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
yeah rip

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

Defiant Sally posted:

Also I blew up both my shoulders via mystery ailment so it seems like I'll be starting up the RP Leg Template again boys.

That really is my idea of hell. :magical:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i didn't complete any of my sets today but set 3 prs so yay :toot: sort of

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug
I think my gym is dying. I haven't noticed a big influx of people at all. Just seeing the same regulars as always.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
My gym was purchased by "everybody fitness" and they have reduced the membership fee to the lowest it's ever been. It's still dead as gently caress in there at night, but I worry about what changes they might make.

As long as I can squat and deadlift with chalk I'll be happy.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Constipated posted:

As long as I can squat and deadlift with chalk I'll be happy.
I don't know of any gyms that ban chalk. Even anytime fitness and 24hour fitness allow chalk, at least near me.

Plus, if they don't allow it, you can still use it and clean up after yourself. The worst they can do is cancel your membership and at that point you just go somewhere else.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

I’ve yet to find a gym in my area that is ok with chalk. I sneak it in anyway because I’m a bad man.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Defiant Sally posted:

hells yeah.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Technically my gym doesn't allow chalk, gym bags on the floor or dropping weights, but the staff are all underpaid PTs so they don't give a gently caress

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Khorne posted:

I don't know of any gyms that ban chalk. Even anytime fitness and 24hour fitness allow chalk, at least near me.

Plus, if they don't allow it, you can still use it and clean up after yourself. The worst they can do is cancel your membership and at that point you just go somewhere else.

The golds I work out in has signs that say no chalk but this is not enforced at all or in any way.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I had my chalk bag confiscated once at a Bailey's gym in Fort Worth when I created a gigantic chalk cloud in the front desk lady's face. She was frightened and not at all amused.

I left that gym and went to another Bailey's and as soon as the guy looked up my account he said "you know we don't allow chalk here, right?" ... I thought I was being sneaky but the mean lady foiled me.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Just dont use huge bags of chalk powder in commercial gyms like you're some sort of pro powerlifter

Get liquid chalk. No puffy retarded clouds of chalk, no mess at all

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I had it all in a ziplock bag as to not make a mess... it was just open a little and I accidentally squeezed it while getting my wallet out... poof.. cocaine cloud.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Username checks out.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I just keep a block in a tupperware container, and rub pieces of it when I need to. I don't crush it up in my hands and get it everywhere, really doesn't take that much and I don't want to be that guy getting chalk everywhere. Some dudes who come in the gym earlier in the evening use a ton and will leave shoe prints all over the freeweight area, going down to the machines/water fountain. The janitor kid and the old semi retired guy who fills in sometimes don't appreciate it, so I try and help them out with stuff. :kiddo:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I find very little reason to use chalk except for pull-ups and rows and such

It's really not necessary for squat or bench or press, and you should just use straps to deadlift. Mixed grip is stupid for a casual lifter, and hook grip isn't really suitable for rep work. So really you only need it if you're testing a hook grip 1rm

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

feelix posted:

Mixed grip is stupid for a casual lifter

go on...

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

I guess if you disagree, your reasons are probably better than mine, but I'd rather deadlift in a way that 1) engages my lats more, making it a more "complete" exercise and 2) avoids potential biceps injury

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
why can't you use hook grip for reps? It's second nature to me and sometimes I accidentally use it even on all my lighter warm up sets.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

why can't you use hook grip for reps? It's second nature to me and sometimes I accidentally use it even on all my lighter warm up sets.

You can, I used to, but it's just kind of beating up your hands for no reason. Especially if it's "second nature" to you, that probably means that grip strength isn't even close to being the limiting factor, so you might as well just use straps and be comfy

feelix fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 5, 2018

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

feelix posted:

I guess if you disagree, your reasons are probably better than mine, but I'd rather deadlift in a way that 1) engages my lats more, making it a more "complete" exercise and 2) avoids potential biceps injury

I've never heard of a natural lifter who injured their bicep with mixed grip. I'm sure they exist but the risk is almost non-existent if you don't pull with your arms. I think a casual lifter can get away with anything and be fine.

That said, straps are great. Do whatever.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

hey, anyone have extra healthy knees to trade? these bad boys are starting to wear out their welcome

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
S'up?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

feelix posted:

I find very little reason to use chalk except for pull-ups and rows and such

It's really not necessary for squat or bench or press, and you should just use straps to deadlift. Mixed grip is stupid for a casual lifter, and hook grip isn't really suitable for rep work. So really you only need it if you're testing a hook grip 1rm
I just pull double overhand until I can't anymore, and that requires chalk. Then I'll use straps if my grip is totally shot, but I haven't lifted enough lately to bust out the straps.

I also do RDLs without straps, and I wish I had such a pump after doing my other accessories. Forearms like a rock they're worked so hard.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Stocky dude with a massive beard, clasped at the end, came into the gym today. I was hoping to see some amazing powerlifting prowess. Super disappointed when he started pressing 40s and doing cable rows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

nooneofconsequence posted:

Stocky dude with a massive beard, clasped at the end, came into the gym today. I was hoping to see some amazing powerlifting prowess. Super disappointed when he started pressing 40s and doing cable rows.
Some guy came in and tried to db bench 90lb dbs, I was hyped, then he dropped them 1" off his chest and picked up 45lb dbs and proceeded to do sets of 4-5. What the heck.

I thought he had it for sure with how trivially he setup for a flat bench with the 90lbers.