Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

PittTheElder posted:

My experience in the Simpsons Shitposting groups suggest that they just say "culo" for every word.

a post that, now that I think about it, I am surprised I have not seen

Maybe for european thpanish but western spanish Simpsons is all about the traseros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm not joking when I say I would actually love to hear more about how this scene was localized into other languages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2TVRiD81js

Looking at the German version, I'm not surprised but a little bit disappointed they didn't translate the song. Not even the "Seymour!!" scream of the superintendent.

Skinner claims first to be making steamed mussels (gedämpfte Müscheln) and then turns it into steamed "Huscheln" which is not an actual word. After that Chalmers says "I have literally never heard of steamed Huscheln before" and Skinner says "that's what we call hamburgers where I'm from."

Interestingly they still talk about dialects coming from Upstate New York and all that. I'm interested in seeing if they localized the place names in the Spanish or French versions or not.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I'm not joking when I say I would actually love to hear more about how this scene was localized into other languages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZi4vjHIaTI

The Brazilian version is pretty drat lazy. The song is untouched - it was always random when they would translate them, just put subtitles on or do neither - and they just directly translate the clams and hams to "Mexilhões Cozidos" and "Carne Cozida". They also don't adapt the New York bit(Which I never really understood) - there are a lot of double entendres and regional jokes that never got a proper delivery in the translation. In the end, instead of saying "Northern Lights" Seymour just says it was him turning the lights on and instead of "You steam a good ham" Chalmers just say "You cook a great meat".

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Deltasquid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2TVRiD81js

Looking at the German version, I'm not surprised but a little bit disappointed they didn't translate the song. Not even the "Seymour!!" scream of the superintendent.

Skinner claims first to be making steamed mussels (gedämpfte Müscheln) and then turns it into steamed "Huscheln" which is not an actual word. After that Chalmers says "I have literally never heard of steamed Huscheln before" and Skinner says "that's what we call hamburgers where I'm from."

Interestingly they still talk about dialects coming from Upstate New York and all that. I'm interested in seeing if they localized the place names in the Spanish or French versions or not.

Nope, they just changed upstate NY to just NY but Chalmers is still from Utica.
In spanish Chalmers is named Archundia though

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
The German translation of classic Simpsons episodes is a goddamn crime. So many lost jokes, so many nonsensical exchanges. Sure you can't always translate humor that well but a lot of comedy just uses a different joke that works in German and kind of fits so that there's at least a joke. Older Simpsons were translated by someone with only a very rough understanding of the concept of "humor".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Samuringa posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZi4vjHIaTI

The Brazilian version is pretty drat lazy. The song is untouched - it was always random when they would translate them, just put subtitles on or do neither - and they just directly translate the clams and hams to "Mexilhões Cozidos" and "Carne Cozida". They also don't adapt the New York bit(Which I never really understood) - there are a lot of double entendres and regional jokes that never got a proper delivery in the translation. In the end, instead of saying "Northern Lights" Seymour just says it was him turning the lights on and instead of "You steam a good ham" Chalmers just say "You cook a great meat".

You don't understand the New York bit, or you don't understand why they don't adapt it?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
You don't need to know how New York is laid out to infer that Utica is a part of upstate New York, forcing Skinner to double-down and claim a different region. Whether Chalmers actually believes this, or is simply choosing to ignore it is up to the viewer, much like whether he really believes that Ralph had a cold during 'What's a battle/What's that rattle?'

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

Opened my eyes.

Data Graham posted:

You don't understand the New York bit, or you don't understand why they don't adapt it?

I don't get what's supposed to be the joke with Upstate New York, Albany, and Utica. I guess they're all the same or near each other or something?

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
🍎

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Samuringa posted:

I don't get what's supposed to be the joke with Upstate New York, Albany, and Utica. I guess they're all the same or near each other or something?

Already beaten, but:

There's nothing particularly interesting about upstate New York idiom-wise, except that Skinner pulls the region out of his rear end to try to give an excuse for why he uses a weird expression, hoping/assuming that Chalmers won't know the area well enough to know he's bullshitting.

Chalmers says he's from Utica though, which is in upstate New York, so Skinner has to double down by specifying Albany, which is also in upstate New York but far enough away that it's still plausible that Chalmers might not know about local expressions like steamed hams.

The joke is Skinner's inept maneuvering to keep one step ahead of Chalmers' interrogation, and it's funny because he somehow manages to pull it off and Chalmers either gives up out of pity or because he actually buys the explanation (we're not sure which).

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shai-Hulud posted:

The German translation of classic Simpsons episodes is a goddamn crime. So many lost jokes, so many nonsensical exchanges. Sure you can't always translate humor that well but a lot of comedy just uses a different joke that works in German and kind of fits so that there's at least a joke. Older Simpsons were translated by someone with only a very rough understanding of the concept of "humor".

Germans having a tough time with comedy? Geez that's a new one.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Sometimes the Dutch subtitle translators try and sometimes they don't. Last night Troy McClure's "You may remember me from such films as 'S' is for Psycho' " was translated as "M is for Maniac" and it's like, come on. The word psycho doesn't really exist in Dutch, but the word for psychology is pronounced with that s sound as well, you could have used that. :argh:

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

And (to continue slicing up Steamed Hams [mm, steamed clams]), one thing that makes the sketch fantastic is that Skinner is wound up so tightly, and no less, wound up tightly about appearing foolish, that he ends up becoming a clown. Here's a guy that uses phrases like "unforgettable luncheon" and "ye gods," and answers the door - presumably on a day off! - not only wearing what he feels is his work uniform but with a lace-frilled pink apron over it. He's fastidiously fussy, not about his appearance per se but about how Chalmers will perceive him.

And, as was pointed out upthread, Chalmers believes every single word of his lies, but I'll go against forums user organburner and say that Chalmers, in spite of all available evidence, actually [b]believes[/i] Skinner, because Skinner has lied his way out of so many absolutely outlandish situations (as depicted in the little "title single" montage, in which we see, among other things, multiple children being digested by some sort of snake). Organburner was right in that Chalmers has had some sort of breakdown in which he believes, e.g., the kitchen fire could possibly be the Northern Lights, but that happened way before this unforgettable luncheon. Chalmers has long ago come to a place where Skinner's "crazy explanations" (as the song has it) have anything but the ring of truth, because so many bizarre things have been explicated by them.

He's still canny enough to ask questions, but he's happy to accept answers. And why not? Chalmers lives in an insane world. Why shouldn't a burning roast and steaming clams, on this occasion, smell more or less exactly alike, which is also to say exactly like hamburgers and french fries?

And what exactly does Skinner think he has to lose by lying? Who hasn't hosed up in the kitchen? But Skinner is so stuffy, so fussy, so intent on presenting a certain image, that he's willing to let his house burn down while he sips purple drank - at least, for a moment.

Neither one of these two want to lose face by accepting the obvious, and that's one of the most human things there is.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Wait, did I say steamed clams?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Ralph Crammed In posted:

Sometimes the Dutch subtitle translators try and sometimes they don't. Last night Troy McClure's "You may remember me from such films as 'S' is for Psycho' " was translated as "M is for Maniac" and it's like, come on. The word psycho doesn't really exist in Dutch, but the word for psychology is pronounced with that s sound as well, you could have used that. :argh:

It's P is for Psycho in the episode. What is the movie Psycho commonly called in Dutch anyway? Nederlands Wiki just says Psycho.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

In european spanish it's gambones/jamones al vapor (steamed prawns/hams).

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Petiso posted:

In european spanish it's gambones/jamones al vapor (steamed prawns/hams).

oooh that's agile

what's the European Spanish word for hamburgers, though?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

oooh that's agile

Hamburguethash

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Steamed Hams.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

They're years ahead of us!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I just asked my dad and he said "jodate coño"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spanish Manlove posted:

I just asked my dad and he said "jodate coño"

lol

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Deltasquid posted:

And at the end Chalmers compliments Skinner on his hamburgers, not his steamed hams. :ughh:

Shai-Hulud posted:

That's what you get when you leave translating scripts to a Russian who speaks no to little English and works off a two-language dictionary.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Opened my eyes.

Data Graham posted:

Already beaten, but:

There's nothing particularly interesting about upstate New York idiom-wise, except that Skinner pulls the region out of his rear end to try to give an excuse for why he uses a weird expression, hoping/assuming that Chalmers won't know the area well enough to know he's bullshitting.

Chalmers says he's from Utica though, which is in upstate New York, so Skinner has to double down by specifying Albany, which is also in upstate New York but far enough away that it's still plausible that Chalmers might not know about local expressions like steamed hams.

The joke is Skinner's inept maneuvering to keep one step ahead of Chalmers' interrogation, and it's funny because he somehow manages to pull it off and Chalmers either gives up out of pity or because he actually buys the explanation (we're not sure which).

Thanks!

frankenfreak posted:

And at the end Chalmers compliments Skinner on his hamburgers, not his steamed hams. :ughh:

Oh, that's another thing that bugged me in mine too. They also didn't care about any of the little Skinner-isms, like "luncheon" or "ye gads".

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Steamed Hams but every joke and refrence is explained along the way

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Obliteration

Numberwang
Sep 2, 2016

I haven't watched the video (and probably won't). I'm just curious, is it worse than the Watters World segment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJmnLzw8NA4

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Utica and Albany are inherently funny words. The whole thing is genius.

Also as someone mentioned it's vaudeville where upstate New York would be historically a funny reference.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Numberwang posted:

I haven't watched the video (and probably won't). I'm just curious, is it worse than the Watters World segment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJmnLzw8NA4

I'd say about the same.

https://twitter.com/wetheunicorns/status/949297972986163200

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I hope this rear end in a top hat goes to jail.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Hm yes what I see is a big-rear end blue play button but what I perceive is someone just burning

burning

burning

he's in a public place but no one can see him and he reaches out but no

he's just burning

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'm envious of the audiences that at least get an attempt at translating jokes properly. There's a joke in Hot Shots! which goes:

quote:

What do you do with an elephant with 3 balls? Walk him and pitch to the rhino.

In the Old Country, (a) nobody plays baseball, (b) the word "balls" is not used as slang for testicles. Let me tell you, a word-for-word translation really didn't work.

Granted, mid-90s Yugoslavia had bigger problems than pun translations. :tito:

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mind the walrus posted:

Germans having a tough time with comedy? Geez that's a new one.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Lol

SantaJesus
Sep 29, 2008

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

idgi is Trump jealous that his dick isn't nearly as big as the gorilla's?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

mind the walrus posted:

idgi is Trump jealous that his dick isn't nearly as big as the gorilla's?

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/949100087350710272