Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

kynikos posted:

You can get smokemonster's Everdrive roms here (including N64): https://archive.org/download/TheEverdrivePacks

Thank you so much

edit: How is archive.org legally hosting this? I am thankful they are, just wondering.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Hm yeah I guess PVMs wouldn't have stereo audio inputs, never thought of that. Hopefully your final setup includes audio going to a receiver or something.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

Hm yeah I guess PVMs wouldn't have stereo audio inputs, never thought of that. Hopefully your final setup includes audio going to a receiver or something.

I use one of these with my PVM:

https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PCA2-2X40-Watt-Stereo-Amplifier/dp/B001P2VV50

hooked up to a pair of Yamaha NS-A329 I found at a thrift store. It perfectly fits a smaller screen that you'll be sitting close to, sounds great

d0s fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 4, 2018

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Ofecks posted:

Oh absolutely. Thankfully those audio cables break right out of the female SCART end of the PVM cable. So they can just remain connected to a superior audio device while I swap in a male SCART connector from whichever console.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Anybody else going to Magfest tomorrow/this weekend? I remember I usually see posts here after the fact and this'll actually be my fifth one attending. I haven't even looked at the schedule past tomorrow, so any suggestions or recommendations would be welcome.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I intend to, yeah. Was actually gonna pass off a Saturn to slowbeef while I was down there, and peruse the shops for any interesting finds. It's my second time, personally; last was in 2016, and I came outta there with Fighters Megamix, Resident Evil for the Saturn, and Mega Man X3 for the SNES. Kinda wish I bought Power Stone 2 as well while I was at it, but :shrug:

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

It's a New Age Retro Christmas 2017 Part 5: Time for Plan Bee

Taking down Christmas decorations is depressing, so instead let's play a little Pinobee and Puzzle Star Sweep!

I hate these stickers along the top. Good thing physical media is more or less dead! :shepface:

Nothing here but minty fresh cases, discs and manuals. Ahhh.

Lets start with Pinobee. So the story goes that Grandpa Bee, who everyone generally agrees is a pretty nice guy, set out to create a robotic bee as a champion to fight evil. Just as he was about to finish, Grandpa Bee was stolen away, leaving the robot, Pinobee, without a heart. Time passes and a good fairy activates Pinobee, who is tasked with rescuing Grandpa Bee and does it not out of the goodness of his heart, but because he has nothing better to do.

The game starts out with a story told in stills of rendered 3d graphics. At a guess, they might've been thinking of going with an animated intro and just cut it short, for whatever reason. One possible reason is that this particular PS1 2D platformer was released in...wait for it... 2003. So, a 2D platformer released on a console that hated 2D games and that had been obsoleted three years prior.

By the way, is anyone picking up a pattern here?

Anyway, Pinobee was published by Hudson and developed by a company by the name of Artoon. The company was mostly made of former Sega developers, many of whom had worked on Sonic the Hedgehog. And it shows. Pinobee's controls are dead simple and run almost entirely through the circle button. Pinobee himself can jump, dash, hover and climb. Defeating enemies is done by jumping on them a-la Sonic or dashing into them, a-la... well, Sonic again I guess. Enemies are primarily insects of different stripes and while you are timed (more on that in a minute), they're relatively large and have a lot to explore. You collect flowers and various power-ups throughout the levels. of the power-ups, some go into effect immediately and the rest are stowed away and activated through a weird "hive" system that, afaict, works a bit like bingo.

If I'm reading the manual correctly, getting four items in a row gives you the effect associated with that row. So if vertical row 1 increases your health bar, getting items 1,2,3 and 4 across that row gives that exact bonus. I've only played four stages so far and didn't manage to activate any of these yet. It's a weird system but adds some depth. Speaking of depth, there's a golden insect in each level. Defeat this and the enemy insects in the next level will be weakened. Pinobee will also make a not of this in his diary. You'll have various goals in each stage that he will comment on in these entries. If he writes that he failed at something, it means you have something more do to. You can go back and visit levels you've cleared and will need to do so to accomplish some goals. Pinobee starts only being able to dash once before needing to recharge. Recharging only takes a second but you need to be on the ground to do it, meaning that higher platforms are inaccessible at first.

Pinobee needs flowers to function and you can collect these in each stage. There are a ton and it's not likely you'll run out unless you're double and triple checking every corner of the level. It's similar to how the timer in Adventure Island worked where you need to constantly feed Master Higgins. I have yet to run out of time on a stage. You start out with a good chunk and there are plenty to collect.

Playing this game is a breeze and almost feels weird with a PS1/2 controller. Scheme-wise this could have easily been done on the NES. The graphics are nice, bright, colorful and animate smoothly. Note that while I say they're nice, they're not amazing for the Playstation 1 and definitely not for that time period. There were for sure better-looking games out by then, including 2D games, but there's nothing objectionable and it's downright pretty. The music is upbeat and cheerful too. Like you probably won't seek this out to listen to outside of the game but it definitely fits the atmosphere and is generally enjoyable.

I'm pretty happy with Pinobee, but I've got one more game to talk about, and that's Puzzle Star Sweep

According to the manual, here's the plot: star-eating pigs fell from the sky and, thankfully, began eating all the multicolored stardust that was making things look weird. Children realized that they could poke the pigs until they threw up, and that if two pieces of stardust touched each other at the brightest points, they would disappear! I'm paraphrasing a little here but that is seriously the jist of it. :stare:

Yep, it's a puzzle game alright. Your star pigs throws up blocks with a bit of stardust in them and your goal is to match the stars to their corresponding blocks on screen. It's not enough to have two or more blocks touch each other, each block's start must be adjacent to be cleared. It's a bit basic, but not a bad idea for a puzzle game. This was released as part of the Agetec/A1 Games low-budget, "seriously why are you still here, go buy a PS2" line in 2001 and if that doesn't drive home just how far past its time Pinobee was, I have no idea what does. It's cutesy, and the visuals and sound fit it right. Nothing to write home about but they get the job done. It's about what you'd think for such a *drum roll* late release.

There's a story mode that honestly doesn't seem to have an actual story. You play as [girl character on cover] and roam around challenging other people to star pig duels after trading some banter that sort of seems like someone tried to build a conversation with two chatbots talking past each other. I couldn't detect any difference in difficulty for any of the characters and was able to beat them in 1-2 tries max. Except for the boss. He's a huge difficulty spike and I gave up after the 19th attempt. It's fun enough. Will I play it again? Yeeeeah, probably. Not before a bunch of other stuff though.

"worth-it-ness" just doesn't seem like an appropriate rating system the more I think of it. So let's go with

Go-back-to-it-iveness: Pinobee - 9/10. Heck yeah I'll play this again I was enjoying myself and had to stop to write this. <:mad:>
Puzzle Star Sweep: 5/10. It's not bad. I'd play it over Zoop or Loopz or any other puzzle game whose titles mostly consisted of the letters O, P and Z.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The real hosed up bit about Pinobee is it's a PS1 port of a GBA game

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Manky posted:

Anybody else going to Magfest tomorrow/this weekend?

:smith:

God I miss Magfest. This would be the second year in a row I haven't gone, feeling significant withdrawls.

I cannot say enough about Magfest. It is worth every single penny it took to haul my west coast rear end over there. I go to a lot of nerd cons, and that one is by far the absolute best. Also it's where I bought my PC-FX from!

All of you lucky fuckers have fun and enjoy incredible music for me.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Quiet Feet posted:

It's a New Age Retro Christmas 2017 Part 5: Time for Plan Bee

Taking down Christmas decorations is depressing, so instead let's play a little Pinobee and Puzzle Star Sweep!

I hate these stickers along the top. Good thing physical media is more or less dead! :shepface:

Nothing here but minty fresh cases, discs and manuals. Ahhh.

Lets start with Pinobee. So the story goes that Grandpa Bee, who everyone generally agrees is a pretty nice guy, set out to create a robotic bee as a champion to fight evil. Just as he was about to finish, Grandpa Bee was stolen away, leaving the robot, Pinobee, without a heart. Time passes and a good fairy activates Pinobee, who is tasked with rescuing Grandpa Bee and does it not out of the goodness of his heart, but because he has nothing better to do.

The game starts out with a story told in stills of rendered 3d graphics. At a guess, they might've been thinking of going with an animated intro and just cut it short, for whatever reason. One possible reason is that this particular PS1 2D platformer was released in...wait for it... 2003. So, a 2D platformer released on a console that hated 2D games and that had been obsoleted three years prior.

By the way, is anyone picking up a pattern here?

Anyway, Pinobee was published by Hudson and developed by a company by the name of Artoon. The company was mostly made of former Sega developers, many of whom had worked on Sonic the Hedgehog. And it shows. Pinobee's controls are dead simple and run almost entirely through the circle button. Pinobee himself can jump, dash, hover and climb. Defeating enemies is done by jumping on them a-la Sonic or dashing into them, a-la... well, Sonic again I guess. Enemies are primarily insects of different stripes and while you are timed (more on that in a minute), they're relatively large and have a lot to explore. You collect flowers and various power-ups throughout the levels. of the power-ups, some go into effect immediately and the rest are stowed away and activated through a weird "hive" system that, afaict, works a bit like bingo.

If I'm reading the manual correctly, getting four items in a row gives you the effect associated with that row. So if vertical row 1 increases your health bar, getting items 1,2,3 and 4 across that row gives that exact bonus. I've only played four stages so far and didn't manage to activate any of these yet. It's a weird system but adds some depth. Speaking of depth, there's a golden insect in each level. Defeat this and the enemy insects in the next level will be weakened. Pinobee will also make a not of this in his diary. You'll have various goals in each stage that he will comment on in these entries. If he writes that he failed at something, it means you have something more do to. You can go back and visit levels you've cleared and will need to do so to accomplish some goals. Pinobee starts only being able to dash once before needing to recharge. Recharging only takes a second but you need to be on the ground to do it, meaning that higher platforms are inaccessible at first.

Pinobee needs flowers to function and you can collect these in each stage. There are a ton and it's not likely you'll run out unless you're double and triple checking every corner of the level. It's similar to how the timer in Adventure Island worked where you need to constantly feed Master Higgins. I have yet to run out of time on a stage. You start out with a good chunk and there are plenty to collect.

Playing this game is a breeze and almost feels weird with a PS1/2 controller. Scheme-wise this could have easily been done on the NES. The graphics are nice, bright, colorful and animate smoothly. Note that while I say they're nice, they're not amazing for the Playstation 1 and definitely not for that time period. There were for sure better-looking games out by then, including 2D games, but there's nothing objectionable and it's downright pretty. The music is upbeat and cheerful too. Like you probably won't seek this out to listen to outside of the game but it definitely fits the atmosphere and is generally enjoyable.

I'm pretty happy with Pinobee, but I've got one more game to talk about, and that's Puzzle Star Sweep

According to the manual, here's the plot: star-eating pigs fell from the sky and, thankfully, began eating all the multicolored stardust that was making things look weird. Children realized that they could poke the pigs until they threw up, and that if two pieces of stardust touched each other at the brightest points, they would disappear! I'm paraphrasing a little here but that is seriously the jist of it. :stare:

Yep, it's a puzzle game alright. Your star pigs throws up blocks with a bit of stardust in them and your goal is to match the stars to their corresponding blocks on screen. It's not enough to have two or more blocks touch each other, each block's start must be adjacent to be cleared. It's a bit basic, but not a bad idea for a puzzle game. This was released as part of the Agetec/A1 Games low-budget, "seriously why are you still here, go buy a PS2" line in 2001 and if that doesn't drive home just how far past its time Pinobee was, I have no idea what does. It's cutesy, and the visuals and sound fit it right. Nothing to write home about but they get the job done. It's about what you'd think for such a *drum roll* late release.

There's a story mode that honestly doesn't seem to have an actual story. You play as [girl character on cover] and roam around challenging other people to star pig duels after trading some banter that sort of seems like someone tried to build a conversation with two chatbots talking past each other. I couldn't detect any difference in difficulty for any of the characters and was able to beat them in 1-2 tries max. Except for the boss. He's a huge difficulty spike and I gave up after the 19th attempt. It's fun enough. Will I play it again? Yeeeeah, probably. Not before a bunch of other stuff though.

"worth-it-ness" just doesn't seem like an appropriate rating system the more I think of it. So let's go with

Go-back-to-it-iveness: Pinobee - 9/10. Heck yeah I'll play this again I was enjoying myself and had to stop to write this. <:mad:>
Puzzle Star Sweep: 5/10. It's not bad. I'd play it over Zoop or Loopz or any other puzzle game whose titles mostly consisted of the letters O, P and Z.

With Pinobee, I couldn't get over how badly it looked like a GBA to PS1 port, which I'm pretty sure it was. I'll have to give it another try sometime.

Star Sweep I just adore, though. It's very simple, and I find easier to visualize combos than in most puzzle games, but it requires such speed and precision that you will struggle until you reach that state where you can play the game in your sleep, and I found it an extremely satisfying game to master. Absolutely my favorite of the A1 games releases.

Also there's another boss after the one you're stuck on, along with an unlockable harder "story" mode against a series of aliens.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Thank you so much

edit: How is archive.org legally hosting this? I am thankful they are, just wondering.

Is there a way to get PAL Roms patches with the de-blur????

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001
I have a Commodore 1702 monitor with a cracked bezel/housing - would it be a good candidate for something like a small tabletop arcade cabinet? Has anybody tried something like this before? Just trying to decide if it's worth keeping or not.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

kynikos posted:

I have a Commodore 1702 monitor with a cracked bezel/housing - would it be a good candidate for something like a small tabletop arcade cabinet? Has anybody tried something like this before? Just trying to decide if it's worth keeping or not.

The 1702 will only do composite so if that's fine with you, sure but it wont do rgb or anything like that.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

kynikos posted:

1702 also does "s-video" as in separate chroma/luma. nice if you actually have a real C-64. If you don't care about the C64 you can probably find an adapter to convert modern s-video to it's style and your s-video capable consoles will look really good on it. If you have an RGB or component CRT and don't care about the C64 just stick it on ebay because people will pay a lot for it, even with a crack

e: for the arcade cabinet bit, no because it doesn't do RGB. get a small PVM or something, or a later RGB capable commodore monitor like a 1084

d0s fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 4, 2018

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

the gscartw and gcompsw are now available for a limited time http://www.gretrostuff.com/store/

It looks like I missed out, but is that gscartsw compatible with JP21 or only Euro?

e: I take it that I only need a mini-DIN -> EuroSCART cable for the xrgb mini to have better compatibility with things like the gscartsw_lite?

Phone fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 4, 2018

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

1702 also does "s-video" as in separate chroma/luma. nice if you actually have a real C-64. If you don't care about the C64 you can probably find an adapter to convert modern s-video to it's style and your s-video capable consoles will look really good on it.

https://console5.com/store/s-video-s-vhs-to-rca-y-c-luma-chroma-adapter-cable-6-15-cm.html

Though a gender changer will likely also be required for anything that hooks up with a male S-Video DIN, but that's still not much money. That dongle also works with the Elgato Game Capture HD for doing S-Video video capture through the component video dongle, since you can hook up the luma and chroma to the blue and green inputs.

Phone posted:

It looks like I missed out, but is that gscartsw compatible with JP21 or only Euro?

e: I take it that I only need a mini-DIN -> EuroSCART cable for the xrgb mini to have better compatibility with things like the gscartsw_lite?

There was a JP21 version in the past, but the gscart developer is apparently no longer making them and has released the design info to the hobbyist public:

http://www.gretrostuff.com/store/pre-order-gscartsw-v3-4-jp21-edition/

JP21 is an absolute dead end video connector standard, anyway, and there's no good reason to use it in my book. Yes, that applies even if you have a bunch of JP21 cables.

Something like below should work with the gscart and XRGB Mini for carrying EuroSCART signals into it:

https://solarisjapan.com/collections/micomsoft/products/eur-scart-adapter

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shadow Hog posted:

I intend to, yeah. Was actually gonna pass off a Saturn to slowbeef while I was down there, and peruse the shops for any interesting finds. It's my second time, personally; last was in 2016, and I came outta there with Fighters Megamix, Resident Evil for the Saturn, and Mega Man X3 for the SNES. Kinda wish I bought Power Stone 2 as well while I was at it, but :shrug:
Right on! Hope you got here safe, it was a bear driving from the Philadelphia area. Though got a lot better once we passed into MD. You definitely need to pick up Power Stone 2 at some point, I still play that on the regular. I don't think I'm looking for anything specific, maybe look for some PS1 titles - I have embarrassingly little for it. Also cool, I didn't know SB was here.

Code Jockey posted:

:smith:

God I miss Magfest. This would be the second year in a row I haven't gone, feeling significant withdrawls.

I cannot say enough about Magfest. It is worth every single penny it took to haul my west coast rear end over there. I go to a lot of nerd cons, and that one is by far the absolute best. Also it's where I bought my PC-FX from!

All of you lucky fuckers have fun and enjoy incredible music for me.
Ah darn! Yeah I completely love this fest. Every time's great in different ways. I like dipping my toe in all of it - catch some panels, check the dealers, hit the arcades, and a big hell yeah to rocking out in the ballroom and hallways.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
the best A1 games release is Top Shop, get it right

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Got a technical question regarding gamecube controllers; Is there a set of instructions anywhere for safely opening/removing the plastic cover on the controller port at the far end of the cable without destroying it?

Got my Starlight Gold controller and while it's a little rough on the paintwork in places, the metal parts of the socket have spots of rust on it.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You can't because the way they seal that kind of molded plastic at the factory. The best you can hope for is switching pcbs or cables with another.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Elliotw2 posted:

You can't because the way they seal that kind of molded plastic at the factory. The best you can hope for is switching pcbs or cables with another.

Thought as much. Looks like it's just gonna have to have a black-tipped cable once I get a cheap controller to kill for parts (the thumbsticks are not pretty either).

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Caitlin posted:

this is true as hell imo

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

Phantasium posted:

The real hosed up bit about Pinobee is it's a PS1 port of a GBA game

I can't unsee it now. But that makes a lot of sense. Enemies lack a lot of fine detail, and important stuff on a level tends to be super huge, like, well, it was made for a smaller screen.

That would also explain why just about everywhere I looked only acknowledged the GBA Pinobee game. I thought for sure it had to be a sequel.

Rollersnake posted:

With Pinobee, I couldn't get over how badly it looked like a GBA to PS1 port, which I'm pretty sure it was. I'll have to give it another try sometime.

Star Sweep I just adore, though. It's very simple, and I find easier to visualize combos than in most puzzle games, but it requires such speed and precision that you will struggle until you reach that state where you can play the game in your sleep, and I found it an extremely satisfying game to master. Absolutely my favorite of the A1 games releases.

Also there's another boss after the one you're stuck on, along with an unlockable harder "story" mode against a series of aliens.

I'm sure it looked back for the time. It's probably not so much of an issue for me because I never saw it when it first came out and 95% of what I play is retro stuff, so I'm used to my games looking out of date. :)

I had Battle HUnter at one point and got rid of it because the randomness of the boards got on my nerves. Kinda wish I'd kept it because now I'm curious to take a closer look at the A1 series and it looks like it's jumped in price since then. :doh:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

kynikos posted:

This is basically what I did with my homemade stick + 1702 + retropie and I love it to pieces. Going from the retropie's hdmi out to s-video via an Amazon converter box into the 1702's chroma/luma input looks goooood. The 1702 is a fantastic CRT.

That said, yeah if you decide not to keep it, there are a lot of people out there who like them and will pay good money for them. I'm one of those people, I have three, because I have brain problems.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

It's a New Age Retro Christmas 2017 Part 6: Oil up the Middle and Watch Your Balls on the Edge

It's Brunswick World Tournament Champions Bowling

This SNES game was a, you guessed it, late era release, and I feel like at this point I need to address the trend. It hasn't been my intention to aim solely for games that were released when their consoles were nearly dead. I'd started noticing the trend last Christmas but it wasn't until this year that it became so glaringly obvious. For every Little Samson or Hagane there are a handful of other, sometimes awful, sometimes adequate games that hit store shelves when the system they were on was largely forgotten. Frequently they come with a license that the publisher was able to acquire for cheap. Frogger, for instance, was the last official game to come out for the SNES and Sega Genesis in 1998. Anyway, nobody wanted these often niche titles then and presumably the publisher, in this case THQ, didn't give much of a poo poo how many copies were sold as long as they made a small return on an easy to make product.

BWTC came out in August of 1997, one of the last dozen games released for the SNES. It's simultaneously low effort and high-functioning. I'll get around to that, just a sec...

Blurry riiiip!

Everything you need here for a balanced breakfast. Cartridge, box, cardboard insert, little plastic baggie, consumer info slip, registration card and manual.

Has the look of a late SNES cart. No back label and the front label looks and feels a little different from earlier games.

Holy poo poo, Mike Aulby! Really? THE PBA Hall of Famer Mike Aulby!? :swoon:

I'm completely bowled over :haw: at just how much detail they included in the game. There is a roster of bowling champions, their earnings and their various championship wins. Every single one of these men looks like your best friend's dad, except for a couple who look like your deadbeat cousin who lives on your friend's dad's lawn in a Chevy Nova. Walter Ray Williams is the guy on the cover I believe. $641 for bowling in 1980. They actually included that. It's bizarrely fascinating. There's also a long list of other bowlers (I lost count but I'd swear it's over 100) who I suspect are real but aren't bowling big shots and don't get the detail treatment. You can also play as your own made-up character. Note that whoever you pick, you look like Bob Ross.

Get used to the above screen.

As for options, you can pick how you want the lane oiled, your brand and color/pattern of ball and how big your balls are. You ever wanted 16 pound balls? Live your fantasy here. The oil effects how your balls travel.

It’s easy to get into, and that might just be its downfall. There are no different lanes and there’s only one song. It is not what you would call catchy. Particularly not after playing for fifteen minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wT3SldH1Xmg&t=31s

And it should only take you about 15 minutes to master getting a strike, and there isn’t anywhere to go after that.

Back-to-it-ive-ness: I’m not likely to play this ever again. It’s interesting in a weird, “okay… but why” sort of a way, and it’s not terrible, it’s just not much of a game unless you fantasize about being a weird dad in squeaky bowling shoes. I only paid $12, so :shrug:

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Caitlin posted:

I will also agree to this. And I'm thankful I'm not the only one that has had trouble at that boss in Puzzle Star Sweep. At least its not Tall: Infinity, I have yet to complete a level in that, granted I didn't try for very long. And can't Battle Hunter still be found for a decent price if you look hard enough? I lucked out on a sealed copy at the local game shop for $25 a couple of months ago and here are a couple random ones that are sub $20 at the moment on eBay.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I don't think I've ever seen Top Shop, but Battle Hunter is possibly one of my favorite games of all time.

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

Caitlin posted:

This is absolutely correct.

ProTip to prospective purchasers: If this is your first time playing, be sure to save up for the Chirp Chirp Shoes. They're essential for victory.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Manky posted:

Right on! Hope you got here safe, it was a bear driving from the Philadelphia area. Though got a lot better once we passed into MD. You definitely need to pick up Power Stone 2 at some point, I still play that on the regular. I don't think I'm looking for anything specific, maybe look for some PS1 titles - I have embarrassingly little for it. Also cool, I didn't know SB was here.
To be clear, I'm not at MAGfest yet; I'm only going on Saturday, and since I don't live very far from National Harbor (like an hour of Beltway driving at worst), I was just gonna buy tickets day-of and head on down then.

Actually, I should probably buy tickets today...

kynikos
Aug 15, 2001

Code Jockey posted:

This is basically what I did with my homemade stick + 1702 + retropie and I love it to pieces. Going from the retropie's hdmi out to s-video via an Amazon converter box into the 1702's chroma/luma input looks goooood. The 1702 is a fantastic CRT.

That said, yeah if you decide not to keep it, there are a lot of people out there who like them and will pay good money for them. I'm one of those people, I have three, because I have brain problems.

That sounds neat, do you have any photos of your setup?

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Cab is all cleaned up and back together, not only did I clean the gross rear end interior but also stripped every metal part and cleaned that stuff too, before and after:

Back in one piece

That 2 player panel just got here today, I had been looking for one of the original 2L6B panels (the original panels that shipped with these cabs) that wasn't butchered with extra button holes or completely rusted out but didn't really think I would find a nice one and that I'd have to settle with either a really gross panel or a more common (in decent shape) 2L12B, which doesn't seem right on a vertical cab. I put up some want threads anyway and almost right away a guy on the arcade-projects forum shows up with this ridiculously clean one. It was $90 shipped which is a little less than one of the "licensed" 2L12Bs on legendhk with the misaligned overlays. Extremely happy with this thing, I think NACs look best with both the green and pink player sides, though I will be swapping in the 1L6B for the more intense games where sitting a little to the side is actually a handicap (cave)

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

:worship:

Can I come over and play shmups with you? I'll bring my own yen.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

hexwren posted:

I don't think I've ever seen Top Shop, but Battle Hunter is possibly one of my favorite games of all time.

Get this man a copy stat! I would except the weather's supposed to be extra poo poo tomorrow and I'm not going anywhere, much less a game shop.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Ofecks posted:

:worship:

Can I come over and play shmups with you? I'll bring my own yen.

yeah if you're ever in south florida, and that applies to everyone else in the thread. I know like nobody around here into this stuff and it kinda sucks!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Oof, that's far. I'm in Virginia. Someday I'd like to visit Big Cat Rescue and Busch Gardens in Tampa, I'll keep you in mind in the unlikely event that happens for me.

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

That metal cube on the right is not actually brass :stare: .

Really nice work on getting the NAC polished up and back to snuff, though.

1. Do those joystick balls and buttons have specific color names, or are they just generic "green" and "pink"?
2. Are you planning to look into adapting non-arcade systems to run on its CRT, or is this cabinet basically dedicated to arcade PCBs?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I bought my model 1 ps1 at a thrift store and it had a burned copy of top shop in it.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

It's a New Age Retro Christmas 2017 Part 7: Brevity is

Wanted something quick so lets look at Desert Speedtrap starring Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote!

Opening.

Contents.

Box
Game
Manual
Double-sided Mortal Kombat II and game catalog poster
List of Brazilian Master System repairmen
Registration card (fell out of manual)

Cartridge comparison

Label is blue. Faceplate below and backplate have a sort of frame design. Label and plastic have slightly different texture.

Game pics.

Levels are on a timer which is way too short. First two have Lots to explore but not enough time to do it in. Either get to the exit and see nothing or check everything out in 1-2 lives. Levels 3 and 4 are literally straightforward, dodging Coyote in a bus and just speeding through. These were fun. Level 5 is back to maze-y bullshit. Control is slippery. Yeah, alright, he's the Road Runner but come on. Meep Meep kinda sucks. Sounds alright otherwise. Some cool scrolling. Obviously not noticeable in pic but blue mountains, light blue mountains and sky all scroll at different speeds.

Back-to-it-ive-ness: Eh. Probably won't play this again. Road Runner cartoons were my favorites of the original Looney Tunes but man, nobody knows how to make them into a drat game.

Road Runner game ratings

1: Desert Demolition (Genesis)
2: Death Valley Ralley (SNES)
3: Desert Speedtrap (SMS)
4: Road Runner (NES)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Quiet Feet posted:

Road Runner cartoons were my favorites of the original Looney Tunes but man, nobody knows how to make them into a drat game.

Considering they're about a battle between a character who effortlessly wins and one who works incredibly hard at losing, I'm not sure it's possible to make a fun game that feels true to the cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I remember reading interviews from someone at Sunsoft or one of the other publishers that said Warner Bros was really strict about how they were allowed to portray the characters and basically wouldn't let them make anything that might even imply the coyote caught the road runner.