Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Did Mummy ever explore how people in victorian england used to eat bits of mummies as medicine? That's a hell of a plot hook, I'd steal it for a campaign or a few Hunter sessions.

There was a Hunter Compact that hunted mummies specifically so they could eat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Serf posted:

i suppose i could be a 4e grog in 10 years and a blades in the dark grog in 20

Who's planning to survive the next 30 years

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Simian_Prime posted:

There was a Hunter Compact that hunted mummies specifically so they could eat them.

...Ashwood? I don't remember that, but that sounds extremely their poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Down With People posted:

Who's planning to survive the next 3 years

Serf
May 5, 2011

lmao we're not getting out that easy. buckle in

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Simian_Prime posted:

Mummies are explicitly completely inedible, per Mummy rules, and when their bodies are disturbed, they hulk out and murder anyone nearby at full power.

One of the Dark Era sections talked about the idea, but failed to realize that per Mummy rules, it is totally impossible.

Actually, Mummy explicitly rules out a lot of cool stuff, and often for little reason. The compact made C A Suleiman hella mad when it was written because YOU CAN’T EAT MUMMIES DAMMIT. Mummy was his baby, see. Fortunately any 2e won’t be.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

sexpig by night posted:

...Ashwood? I don't remember that, but that sounds extremely their poo poo.

Faithful of Shulpae. I mean I don't doubt Ashwood did it, but the Faithful actually got an Endowment out of it. Anthropophagy lets the Faithful have Dread Powers equal to however many pounds of raw god flesh you can stomach.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
joke: designing a game for the streaming culture

woke: buying all your RPGs on paper to prepare for the collapse of the internet and all civilization

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Down With People posted:

Faithful of Shulpae. I mean I don't doubt Ashwood did it, but the Faithful actually got an Endowment out of it. Anthropophagy lets the Faithful have Dread Powers equal to however many pounds of raw god flesh you can stomach.

And I doubt Ashwood would be jejune as just eating it. They'd probably freebase into their eyeballs or something.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Mors Rattus posted:

Actually, Mummy explicitly rules out a lot of cool stuff, and often for little reason. The compact made C A Suleiman hella mad when it was written because YOU CAN’T EAT MUMMIES DAMMIT. Mummy was his baby, see. Fortunately any 2e won’t be.

Yep. When I develop Hunter material, I develop it for Hunter first, for strict adherence to the inspiration enemy splat second. Suleiman was pissed at the Faithful of Shulpae. McFarland was annoyed that I wrote a Tactic that lets you force Heroes into existence (which was partly because at the time I wrote it, you could, and I wasn’t interested in meticulously combing through a 200,000 word book over and over for every minor change.) Whatever.

That said, the Faithful were vaguely inspired by the phenomenon of people eating mummies, as noted in this thread.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Dawgstar posted:

And I doubt Ashwood would be jejune as just eating it. They'd probably freebase into their eyeballs or something.

I loving love how terrible Ashwood is. Like, the writing is 80% 'lol I hosed a werewolf, EDGY!!!!' but just the idea that in this world of grim faced preachers calling the true light of God and secret black budget military operations there's just these rich morons injecting mummy dust into their dickholes because some older rich moron totally swore it was a great high.

Basically if your Hunter games aren't a tense alliance between The Union, Network Zero, and Ashwood you're playing Hunter super wrong.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The Faithful of Shulpae seem cool too, though. They can join the party.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MachineIV posted:

Yep. When I develop Hunter material, I develop it for Hunter first, for strict adherence to the inspiration enemy splat second. Suleiman was pissed at the Faithful of Shulpae. McFarland was annoyed that I wrote a Tactic that lets you force Heroes into existence (which was partly because at the time I wrote it, you could, and I wasn’t interested in meticulously combing through a 200,000 word book over and over for every minor change.) Whatever.

That said, the Faithful were vaguely inspired by the phenomenon of people eating mummies, as noted in this thread.

Don't feel too bad about it, Beasts making Heroes was probably one of the most compelling mechanics about Beast, and the only real way the game has to force conflict.

Also, Conquering Heroes, which was Matt's own book, gets basic poo poo about Beasts and Heroes wrong several times.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Did Mummy ever explore how people in victorian england used to eat bits of mummies as medicine? That's a hell of a plot hook, I'd steal it for a campaign or a few Hunter sessions.

I really loving hate the Victorians.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

MachineIV posted:

Yep. When I develop Hunter material, I develop it for Hunter first, for strict adherence to the inspiration enemy splat second.

This is basically the only good approach.

Rand Brittain posted:

Mummy: the Resurrection is its own weird thing, primarily because the mechanics were set up so that it wasn't actually possible to play outside the Middle East, but the game was deceptive about telling you this.

M:tR is a weird, artsy game and I want to like it in concept but it's basically unplayable unless you're far more familiar with the Middle East than you can reasonably expect the average North American/European player to be. I've thought a bit about how to use it and the best I could come up with was "It'd be great for a Planescape: Torment-like cRPG about discovering your forgotten Egyptian past and dealing with your recent mortal conflicts, while engaging in missions in both the mortal world and the Underworld and occasionally resolving things through creative applications of suicide and doing things in the mortal world to affect the underworld and vice versa." The kind of thing that works great as a single player game but wouldn't work at all when you have three to five Mummy characters with wildly different resurrection rates.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

LatwPIAT posted:

The kind of thing that works great as a single player game but wouldn't work at all when you have three to five Mummy characters with wildly different resurrection rates.
The lack of institutional memory at WW is probably why they made the same mistake with Promethean.

First edition Mummy is a fascinating time capsule though. IIRC, in the char gen it flat out says that if you need more points for your concept to just give yourself some more.

Battle Mad Ronin
Aug 26, 2017

Comrade Gorbash posted:

I really loving hate the Victorians.

This isn’t even that bad. It doesn’t top that one industrialist bloke who bought several thousand unique cat mummies and used them as fuel for his factory’s steam engine.

Thinking about it, playing as a mummified cat would be a fun change of pace.

Battle Mad Ronin fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 6, 2018

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

He likely spared us from the most adorable cat mummy apocalypse.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea if there were thousands of cat mummies we probably needed to cull the herd just in case anyway

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

• People awaken Cat mummies and take them as pets
  • People make more cat mummies
  • The regular mummies awaken because people are making cat mummies
  • The regular mummies think cat mummies are adorable and make more cat mummies
  • Goto 3

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Cat mummies can be important! I remember a Diane Duane book where the devil was convincing people to grind up all the cat mummies because of the ancient cancel-the-apocalypse spell that was written on them. Eventually the heroes foil his scheme, and tens of thousands of ancient cat ghosts appear all "YOU WILL NOT KILL THE GIVERS OF FOOD" and the devil is all "seriously these are not the same people who gave you kibble" and the cats are all "WE BASICALLY CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE, WE STOP APOCALYPSE NYAO (and then fish)."

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Foolster41 posted:

Starting a new tumblr account is actually a bit of a pain since you need to have an individual e-mail for each one.

Try using email modifiers. If your email is "foolster41@gmail.com", for example, then "foolster41+test@gmail.com" gets accepted as a different email address by basically all websites, but it's part of the email protocol that anything after the plus sign gets ignored for where to direct an email to so it still gets sent to the original address. Not a bug or anything either; an explicit feature in email back when it was first implemented, just one most people don't know about.

It's meant for things like keeping track of who picked up your email from where, to have a unique email address for different places without needing to mess with email forwarding, but I've used it for stuff like what you're doing myself too and it works fine.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Rand Brittain posted:

Cat mummies can be important! I remember a Diane Duane book where the devil was convincing people to grind up all the cat mummies because of the ancient cancel-the-apocalypse spell that was written on them. Eventually the heroes foil his scheme, and tens of thousands of ancient cat ghosts appear all "YOU WILL NOT KILL THE GIVERS OF FOOD" and the devil is all "seriously these are not the same people who gave you kibble" and the cats are all "WE BASICALLY CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE, WE STOP APOCALYPSE NYAO (and then fish)."

Man where's my Diane Duane RPG

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Idran posted:

Try using email modifiers. If your email is "foolster41@gmail.com", for example, then "foolster41+test@gmail.com" gets accepted as a different email address by basically all websites, but it's part of the email protocol that anything after the plus sign gets ignored for where to direct an email to so it still gets sent to the original address. Not a bug or anything either; an explicit feature in email back when it was first implemented, just one most people don't know about.

It's meant for things like keeping track of who picked up your email from where, to have a unique email address for different places without needing to mess with email forwarding, but I've used it for stuff like what you're doing myself too and it works fine.

That...is a very interesting and useful bit of trivia.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Mors Rattus posted:

That...is a very interesting and useful bit of trivia.

Yep, it's often handy. I got the name of it wrong, though; it's called subaddressing.

Saw this too when I was grabbing that, and this I didn't know about myself; I'm not sure how universally this would be implemented by mail services, since I've never seen anyone use it before, but it might be another way to do the same thing.

quote:

comments are allowed with parentheses at either end of the local-part; e.g. john.smith(comment)@example.com and (comment)john.smith@example.com are both equivalent to john.smith@example.com.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Just note that if you address is john.smith@example.com, the period is important. johnsmith@example.com will not reach you, it will reach someone like me, and I have a little log of all the sensitive info people have sent me by doing this. No details, not for blackmail, just things like "travel confirmation: gave me home address and the dates they'd be gone".

Make sure you use the correct modifiers, basically.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

xiw posted:

Man where's my Diane Duane RPG

I feel like you could hack Blue Rose to do it p. well.

e: and that the Young Wizards books do the 'here's our justification for no evil magic' better.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Hunter is the only part of WoD that I'd be remotely interested in, because it boils down to "gently caress these supernatural assholes preying on us with a silver/garlic/white phosphorus/holy water/cold iron shotgun load TO THE loving FACE".

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Rand Brittain posted:

Neil Gaiman wrote a short story that involved ghosts of cat mummies used as fertilizer in England helping Shadow from American Gods.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Bruceski posted:

Just note that if you address is john.smith@example.com, the period is important. johnsmith@example.com will not reach you, it will reach someone like me, and I have a little log of all the sensitive info people have sent me by doing this. No details, not for blackmail, just things like "travel confirmation: gave me home address and the dates they'd be gone".

Make sure you use the correct modifiers, basically.

While this is true for email in general, different email providers work differently. Specifically, if you have a Gmail address the periods aren't important; Gmail will ignore them and treat john.smith@gmail.com and johnsmith@gmail.com as the same address.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Thuryl posted:

While this is true for email in general, different email providers work differently. Specifically, if you have a Gmail address the periods aren't important; Gmail will ignore them and treat john.smith@gmail.com and johnsmith@gmail.com as the same address.

I wonder if this is why I keep getting shipping confirmations for some guy in Aurora, CO who apparently orders MLM products for hundreds of dollars each month. His initials are very similar to the four-letter string I used for my throwaway Gmail account.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Thuryl posted:

Then I don't know WHY they're sending all their personal info to me, because that's where the stuff gets mis-sent.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Mors Rattus posted:

Nah, most of them acknowledge that the other groups exist, allow at least some room for them, even if they don't assume they work the way the other games do.

Mummy straight up stops working properly as a setting if you assume there's other supernaturals around, sometimes.

Can you explain this? Because I didn't really get that general vibe from the game overall, other that Mummies not really touching most of the other gamelines much at all since their concerns are pretty narrow.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Bruceski posted:

Then I don't know WHY they're sending all their personal info to me, because that's where the stuff gets mis-sent.

I'm pretty sure there's a gmail account for a neongray and I get their email sometimes. They seem into art.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

Idran posted:

I looked into that, and read somewhere that it doesn't work. It's possible their wrong anyway. too late since I just set up new emails for them already anyway.,

E: It was this on Quora

quote:

Mayank Makwana
Answered Mar 1, 2017

Do not TRY . DOT google account trick, I repeat DO NOT TRY THAT,
I made 50 tumblrs from 2 different google accounts, 25 tumblr each from single google account,
they terminated 48 tumblrs leaving 2 tumblrs both were registered under original google account. you can try google dot trick anywhere else. you can make more tumblrs within your account, or try mail.com. you need nothing to create email account there.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 7, 2018

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

bewilderment posted:

Can you explain this? Because I didn't really get that general vibe from the game overall, other that Mummies not really touching most of the other gamelines much at all since their concerns are pretty narrow.

While some of their powers reference other splats offhandedly, the fluff for Mummy very, very strongly insinuates and occasionally outright states that mummies are the biggest supernatural influence on the world. It is a commonly repeated truism that all of modern civilization is an echo of Irem, and continuously molded to be that way by the Arisen and their cults. It's part of how they explain mummies can function if they've been out for an entire Sothic Turn (1,400 years and change between their free respawns); that humans will always innately respond similarly to appropriate stimuli, and that they recognize glimpses of their former lives in everything from street patterns to new fashion designs. They're effectively into full on Masquerade levels of controlling absolutely everything and everything in their backstory being the real secret history. It is an intensely solipsistic line, fluff-wise, which is the real way it gets around talking about other splats. There is no way in God's green earth an Arisen cult disguised as some form of enterprise wouldn't slam directly into vampires, or that the mystery cult variants wouldn't have some intensely interested wizards taking uncomfortably close looks. That's to say nothing about things like Epic utterances, which are noted to make all supernatural entities in the general region (and "those wise enough to take heed," so let's call that Integrity 8+ and any Unseen Senses) make a roll of [Wits+Occult+Power Stat - {miles from event}] to instantly get an idea of the (usually Biblical in proportions) supernatural event that just happened.

Mummies, as a rule, are not subtle to anyone but mortals, barely. Mummies in a mixed setting would pretty much inevitably kick down the door in approximately ten seconds and yell RETURN THE SLAB before choke-slamming somebody through the Spanish announcer's table.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MAH GAWD JR HE'S GOT A DJED!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I mean, it's also kind of hinted, not very subtly, that the idea that Irem is the birthplace of all civilization is a hilariously thin justification for stealing whatever stuff they've decided they want. It basically amounts to "the base conditions of human existence are more or less the same, so we own the copyright on literally all ideas, forever."

Mummy is pretty much an oWoD game living in the nWoD, though, yeah.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Daeren posted:

Mummies, as a rule, are not subtle to anyone but mortals, barely. Mummies in a mixed setting would pretty much inevitably kick down the door in approximately ten seconds and yell RETURN THE SLAB before choke-slamming somebody through the Spanish announcer's table.

I want a setting like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
What is it with WoD/CoD where you always have people describing really awesome fun scenarios as if they're a bad thing?

• Locked thread