Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

clockworkjoe posted:

I assume an endless wave means no trader - just respawning ammo boxes. The longer the game goes on, the longer it takes for ammo to respawn.

All classes except berserkers run out of steam when they run out of ammo for their top tier weapons. You can't kill scrakes and fleshpounds with the 9mm pistol in a timely manner.

For berserkers have sawblades break after a certain number of shots. Eventually they run out of sawblades and gas and are SOL.
An endless mode doesn't necessarily mean an endless single wave, I'd expect it to just be an infinite number of waves with the normal breaks in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
That's what I'd be afraid of. I was on a 36-man server in a game with 20something other players; zed health was scaled up so high it took minutes to kill each Scrake and FP. The last several waves I played it kept getting down to one godtier Berserker kiting the map chipping down 20 raging heavies. They'd have to balance things a lot differently to make waves beyond 10 even mathematically possible while keeping games from grinding to a halt like that. Using the new Defend an Area mechanic would be one way, but then the game would essentially become a FPS tower defense.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i'm kind of surprised people keep making endless wave modes when the universal end experience from them is that an insufficiently good player will die and have an experience much like a normal game, and a sufficiently good player will continue and die to sheer exhaustion and combat fatigue

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Mr. Foster's private jet full of Dosh crashes at a lumbermill out in the French countryside. How long can you hold out alongside his drunk brother-in-law while securing as many bags of Dosh as possible?

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
i'd take fps towerdefense over berserker runs around the map for 20minutes

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Takes No Damage posted:

That's what I'd be afraid of. I was on a 36-man server in a game with 20something other players; zed health was scaled up so high it took minutes to kill each Scrake and FP. The last several waves I played it kept getting down to one godtier Berserker kiting the map chipping down 20 raging heavies. They'd have to balance things a lot differently to make waves beyond 10 even mathematically possible while keeping games from grinding to a halt like that. Using the new Defend an Area mechanic would be one way, but then the game would essentially become a FPS tower defense.

It really depends on the map and if it can handle the large zed spawns. I've been on a full 42 player server on HoE 10 Wave and we'll wipe on some maps by wave 7 due to the zed flow but on other maps we'll clear all 10 waves. The best part of those high count servers is that you're rewarded for clearing the 10 waves by being able to chump the boss pretty easily because even with the HP scaling its still fighting 42 people at once. It also helps when the server states that people should be at least level 15 when on the HoE server. Makes having to babysit a level 3 zerker less likely.

But some classes don't do as well on the high count servers. Swat and Commando are great but eat up ammo so quickly that you're really reliant on Supports with ammo packs to keep you going at the mid to end of each wave. Medic and Supports are required to keep the team going through the slog.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I feel like it would help to cap hp scaling at some point but allow population to scale as high as the server can handle.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

John Murdoch posted:

Mr. Foster's private jet full of Dosh crashes at a lumbermill out in the French countryside. How long can you hold out alongside his drunk brother-in-law while securing as many bags of Dosh as possible?

Something like this I can see working, some combo of area control and objective / story mode from the end of KF1's run. I guess with the Dosh Vault you can still reward players with something since by definition there's no way to 'win' at Endless Mode.

Revolver Bunker posted:

But some classes don't do as well on the high count servers. Swat and Commando are great but eat up ammo so quickly that you're really reliant on Supports with ammo packs to keep you going at the mid to end of each wave. Medic and Supports are required to keep the team going through the slog.

A bunch of us ended up going Firebug with the Napalm perk, that way even after we all died we continued to do DOT from zeds setting each other on fire for the rest of the wave :flame:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This weekly sucks rear end. More kiting than OG Hans.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Just play Sharpshooter or something else that kills in relatively few hits. Enjoy the backpack.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
I'm at 23.5 of my last class, that class is medic. Even slumming on hard for 8-10k exp games makes it grindy af

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Play with lovely pubs to get more heals, or go full combat medic and do it all yourself. The Medic shotgun and AR do pretty decent damage with all the combat perks and you still heal pretty good.

Unrelated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnCFp7ii-lg
:flame:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

How many loving years does it take for TW to add toggle sprint in? I have been yelling about this since the early access and year ago even got their community person to tell me he's telling the dev team about it but it's still not in??
I'm legit upset about it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

aniviron posted:

Just play Sharpshooter or something else that kills in relatively few hits. Enjoy the backpack.
Support was the key. Big zeds were a huge pain as Firebug but when you have the Double hitting them like a truck every three seconds or less the regen can't keep up.

Nearing level 25 Firebug myself - do I want Napalm or Zed Shrapnel?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 6, 2018

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I go with the one that makes some of the zeds explode. In a team game the DoT isn't such a big deal as the smaller FB-target things die quick anyway, and it is very satisfying when they blow up instead. Plus your sharpshooters don't want the big zeds getting panicked by accident when little ones set them on fire.
But your comment of nearing level 25 makes me think you are actually asking to chose between Pyromaniac and Inferno, and why would anyone chose anything other than infinite ammo firing in real time?

Gromit fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 6, 2018

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Oh no I just hit level 25 and Pyromaniac is the clear winner there (honestly should be "Firehose"). I figured the explosion effect might not be worthwhile damage compared to giving myself improved DoT for kiting in those worst case scenarios.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
ugh 1 more 10k game and it's over

open console, type 'enablecheats' + enter, click on vault, press enter, enable steam overlay for 5 seconds, disable steam overlay, click on inventory

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Risky Bisquick posted:

open console, type 'enablecheats' + enter, click on vault, press enter, enable steam overlay for 5 seconds, disable steam overlay, click on inventory

Holy poo poo!

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Risky Bisquick posted:

Well that's going to be patched in a hurry.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

aniviron posted:

Well that's going to be patched in a hurry.

Nothing in this game has ever been patched in a hurry.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
It's been like this since the xmas beta, so ...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Really? Most companies would freak out about an exploit like that.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

The vault crates are completely removed from the economy at least.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Risky Bisquick posted:

What is this supposed to do? Nothing happens.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Sininu posted:

What is this supposed to do? Nothing happens.

Free Dosh Vault crates :ssh:

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Abandoned Toaster posted:

Free Dosh Vault crates :ssh:

10 of them? After entering the console command and clicking on vault I immediately got 10 of them without doing anything else. I've never clicked on vault before so could those have been ones I had gotten already from my previous playtime?

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

Sininu posted:

10 of them? After entering the console command and clicking on vault I immediately got 10 of them without doing anything else. I've never clicked on vault before so could those have been ones I had gotten already from my previous playtime?

Every shift tab for the steam overlay seems to grant one and they cap at 10. No idea if Tripwire will try to crack down on these ill-gotten crates but go hog wild while you can, I guess.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Every shift tab for the steam overlay seems to grant one and they cap at 10. No idea if Tripwire will try to crack down on these ill-gotten crates but go hog wild while you can, I guess.

Dosh vault crates and their contents aren't tradable or marketable so I don't see why Tripwire would put any effort into removing the items. Hell, I'll be impressed if they bother to patch it out at all. If they do, it'll be whenever they get around to their next steaming content dump, so about a month after they tease new achievements.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Is it one time only? I tried this multiple times but it just doesn't do anything. I'm still not sure if I got the crates from this or from my previous playtime. How are those crates normally obtained?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

If you've never opened the vault before you probably got a bunch for free. But the inventory page caps at 10 of them, so that trick won't work if you have that many already. Open some and try again. Every time you go to the vault and shift-tab out and back for 5 seconds you should get another crate in your inventory page when you open it, so long as you have less than 10 in there.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shumagorath posted:

Oh no I just hit level 25 and Pyromaniac is the clear winner there (honestly should be "Firehose"). I figured the explosion effect might not be worthwhile damage compared to giving myself improved DoT for kiting in those worst case scenarios.

Outside of very specific and silly circumstances I'd say go with Shrapnel. Every 5th zed blowing up and stumbling things around it is pretty noticeable and useful, while some indeterminate amount of additional DoT just doesn't seem to change the game for me in any meaningful way. Sure if you're kiting the last 3 guys by yourself Napalm would technically be better, but Firebugs have a hard time solo-ing Scrakes and FPs anyway so if you're in that position things are already pearshaped.

With pretty much all classes I end up choosing +damage over any other debuff-style perk. I don't need to stun FPs with my RPG when they just explode instead :pirate:

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Man, this vault trick sure likes to drop a thousand copies of Vault pajamas.. All I want is a non-gold hockey mask.

Xythe
Aug 4, 2010

Stop getting mad at video games. No stop insulting his mother what is wrong with you.
My game didn't have any sort of limit, so I opened probably 100+ crates to get the one item I wanted (The gold zerker knife). If I had kept my usual playtime of roughly 5 hours a week, this would have taken me over two years to get. gently caress lootboxes forever.

If I get banned or my inventory gets reset or something I'll bitch about it here.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Xythe posted:

My game didn't have any sort of limit, so I opened probably 100+ crates to get the one item I wanted (The gold zerker knife). If I had kept my usual playtime of roughly 5 hours a week, this would have taken me over two years to get. gently caress lootboxes forever.

If I get banned or my inventory gets reset or something I'll bitch about it here.

I highly doubt you'll get banned. If they didn't ban people over the selling the pre order armor exploit, I doubt they're going to ban anyone over free in-game item crates.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Skoll posted:

Man, this vault trick sure likes to drop a thousand copies of Vault pajamas.. All I want is a non-gold hockey mask.

I opened about 200 crates, there's no way there isn't a rarity scale, just like with paid lootboxes. I have about 40 pairs of pajamas and nine of the same Jagerhorn facepaint, but got about 20 total weapon skins. The hockey mask (and other non-bad cosmetics) also seem to be much rarer.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

aniviron posted:

I opened about 200 crates, there's no way there isn't a rarity scale, just like with paid lootboxes. I have about 40 pairs of pajamas and nine of the same Jagerhorn facepaint, but got about 20 total weapon skins. The hockey mask (and other non-bad cosmetics) also seem to be much rarer.

I've noticed this as well. I'm keeping Vault crafting materials too in case/when they fix this. I wonder how long it's been a thing.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord
Haha you guys are hilarious, I opened 35 boxes in a month

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
why do people like camping the carasel in carnival? it loving sucks, probably the worst spot in the entire game

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

darkhand posted:

why do people like camping the carasel in carnival? it loving sucks, probably the worst spot in the entire game

Because on the off chance it hits a scrake or FP, it's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

darkhand posted:

Better than camping on top of the roller coaster, though.

Also it's one of the most open areas in the map, since everything has to spawn out of it and move inwards and it has fairly easily defensible routes if the team knows what they're doing, which is only half the time.