Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CornHolio posted:

What happens with them? Is it a seat flaw then?

We had a Cherokee at a previous job that we used for errands, I seem to remember it having a weird seat too...

Grand Cherokee seats bolt right in then?

The welds on the seat frame are lovely and they break. WJ same year will bolt in, or just get some other XJ seats that's what I did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

DICK DICER posted:

I got the hook up on that good good, eighths and quarters for CH3@P HMU

yo can i get a qp?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Applebees Appetizer posted:

The welds on the seat frame are lovely and they break. WJ same year will bolt in, or just get some other XJ seats that's what I did.

Be aware that WJ seat frames are also bad, just not *as* bad. Mine has a few cracks in it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

CornHolio posted:

What happens with them? Is it a seat flaw then?

Terrible Car Seat things - in the Peugeot 106 seats were bolted into captive nuts welded (poorly) into the shell. These without fail would break off from the welds on the inside for both Driver and Passenger side. Since the bolts were welded inside the frame you had to take the seats and carpet out, drop the gearbox linkage and then cut the sheet metal out to reweld the nuts and then reweld the metal back in. For 2 seat bolts that would would fail within 50k miles every time.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Tomarse posted:

My panda however has got some new year blues :( my stop start hasn't worked for weeks and yesterday my cruise control stopped working.
Thismorning it went very lumpy and then said "FUEL CUTOFF UNAVAILABLE" On the dash and started flashing the warning triangle at me. Warning triangle disappeared after leaving in the work car park all day and I've just done 30 miles without any issue. Now just 150 more miles to do to get home...

So I reset my cruise control in the motorway services carpark and now it works, and all the Fiat forum posts that i can find about the fuel cutoff message and start/stop not working say you just have to disconnect the battery to stop it/reset it.
15 years of work in IT and mastering turning it off and on again has apparently set me up well for fixing modern cars..

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well I just found out that a lifelong friend who lost everything in Key West, who I sent $1k and never wanted it back, who asked me to put my credit card on file for a hotel FEMA was paying for because he didn’t have one and not o e cent would be charged, and the hotel asked me not to do it but I said I grew up with this guy I’ll help my friend, well...

He went on a two month booze steak and lobster fest and I’m out thousands. I signed everything saying I understood the risks. He claimed for a week or two it was all a mixup and now he’s gone. 30 years and I helped him and he said I was the only person to help him he has no family. Wow. No point to this but wow.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jesus gently caress, no good deed goes unpunished. That sucks.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Daaaaamn.
Yeah, there's no coming back from that one. That's a massive violation of trust.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Shouldn't that be "ZJ" rather than WJ?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I know maybe being Christian isn’t the most popular thing here but I am and I felt compelled to help him. Like stop what you are doing and help him. So I just gotta go with that.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

drat. That really sucks. :(

everdave posted:

I know maybe being Christian isn’t the most popular thing here but I am and I felt compelled to help him. Like stop what you are doing and help him. So I just gotta go with that.

You did the right thing, just sucks that he was a complete rear end in a top hat.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Seminal Flu posted:

You did the right thing, just sucks that he was a complete rear end in a top hat.

I came to post this.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Seminal Flu posted:

Not an empty quote.

Sucks, but at least it's done now? Hotel will no longer be charging your card anymore?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Guys I helped 14 a little along the way and it was very rewarding to my soul. Can’t say good wnough things about Dave. I felt so called to help this friend and this happens. I’m not complaining or raging it’s just crazy. Perry Hotel Key West better upgrade me if I ever visit (I won’t) after I spent 4K on “incidentals”

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Bajaha posted:

Not an empty quote.

Sucks, but at least it's done now? Hotel will no longer be charging your card anymore?

He has left the hotel now yes it’s done

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat everdave, that loving sucks.

But you are a good soul and in the end you'll be fine. It'll take a while to recover financially but you did a good thing, that's what's important.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

everdave posted:

Guys I helped 14 a little along the way and it was very rewarding to my soul. Can’t say good wnough things about Dave. I felt so called to help this friend and this happens. I’m not complaining or raging it’s just crazy. Perry Hotel Key West better upgrade me if I ever visit (I won’t) after I spent 4K on “incidentals”

:stare:

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Yo stop probing 14.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Jesus dave why are you probated again

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
So out in beautiful Madison County, IL a couple of idiots decided to go mudding in a lake bed. In a new, lifted Silverado. The truck got stuck, so they rented a backhoe, and it got stuck. Real deep. Bonus: the lake is only temporarily empty, and will flood in a few months, so they'll lose all if they don't bust rear end to get stuff out. Fools. Double bonus: the lake is someone else's property, so there's trespassing too.

https://jalopnik.com/new-truck-frozen-in-mud-has-only-a-few-months-before-it-1821769043

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

So out in beautiful Madison County, IL a couple of idiots decided to go mudding in a lake bed. In a new, lifted Silverado. The truck got stuck, so they rented a backhoe, and it got stuck. Real deep. Bonus: the lake is only temporarily empty, and will flood in a few months, so they'll lose all if they don't bust rear end to get stuff out. Fools. Double bonus: the lake is someone else's property, so there's trespassing too.

https://jalopnik.com/new-truck-frozen-in-mud-has-only-a-few-months-before-it-1821769043

Need a bigger backhoe.

Free Dave.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

everdave posted:

He's running a gimmick into the ground.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

"it's permafrost out here" :haw:

Stupid as gently caress, but sounds like nothing a shitload of cable and some snatchblocks can't fix.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

everdave posted:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=polytricks

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
FREE DAVE

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I hope it got buried before the rats took up residence:

Rip my rotors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My friend's younger brother has a two year old son with his ex girlfriend. They have an incredibly dicey relationship, she's assaulted him several times and he's been arrested on her word that he hit her. He's not the sharpest but he has a decent job and provides for his son who is his biggest priority. Dude doesn't even date much because he's worried the ex will gently caress with his life.
Poor dude is in hiding right now because his ex wants another kid and she has decided that both her children must be from the same father. He's loving terrified she'll roofie and rape him and honestly it wouldn't shock me if she tried to do it from the stories he's told. He's on his way up here to stay with his brother for the weekend and we joked about starting a collection to get him a vasectomy and he's like "Yes let's do that right now."

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
:cripes:

One day your life will be a series of Lifetime Original Movies.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Indiana is an awesome place to live.

Wanna hear about how I had to end a friendship because she was dating a convicted murderer who's conviction was overturned and he got a manslaughter charge and a slap on the wrist and then he tried to kill my friend?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
One of these days I swear I am going to sit down and draw an org chart of the periphery of criminal assholes that surrounds you, because it's like the Trailer Park Boys on PCP.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I live 25 minutes from the meth capital of the midwest. I wish I had pictures of the criminal masterminds that surround me.

EDIT: I ALSO KNOW A GUY WHO NEVER LAUGHS HE JUST SAYS "that's hilarious" IT'S LIKE THAT GODDAMNED SCRUBS EPISODE AND I'VE NEVER BEEN SO CLOSE TO COMMITTING MURDER IN MY LIFE

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 6, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Rhyno posted:

I live 25 minutes from the meth capital of the midwest. I wish I had pictures of the criminal masterminds that surround me.

EDIT: I ALSO KNOW A GUY WHO NEVER LAUGHS HE JUST SAYS "that's hilarious" IT'S LIKE THAT GODDAMNED SCRUBS EPISODE AND I'VE NEVER BEEN SO CLOSE TO COMMITTING MURDER IN MY LIFE

That’s hilarious.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Rhyno posted:

My friend's younger brother has a two year old son with his ex girlfriend. They have an incredibly dicey relationship, she's assaulted him several times and he's been arrested on her word that he hit her. He's not the sharpest but he has a decent job and provides for his son who is his biggest priority. Dude doesn't even date much because he's worried the ex will gently caress with his life.
Poor dude is in hiding right now because his ex wants another kid and she has decided that both her children must be from the same father. He's loving terrified she'll roofie and rape him and honestly it wouldn't shock me if she tried to do it from the stories he's told. He's on his way up here to stay with his brother for the weekend and we joked about starting a collection to get him a vasectomy and he's like "Yes let's do that right now."

Dude come on. You need to move to whatever HOA haven your wife gets for free or whatever and cut yourself from the rest of the world Jesus man

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Rhyno, start writing a book if you haven't started yet.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.
re: Versa chat. I just spent 5 days behind the wheel of an Altima, and all I can say is "loving don't". Awful CVT, awful touchy-rear end brakes, touchy throttle, steering that was both vague and twitchy on center, acres of poo poo plastic in the interior. Seriously, my wife's $21k Mazda3 is better in every conceivable way. I'll never recommend a Nissan to anyone after experiencing that pile of trash.

If I were looking for bottom-barrel basic transportation that wouldn't suck the life out of me, I would go find a Fiesta SFE. You can find nice ones for under $10k all day long with lots of manufacturer warranty left.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Friend came back to the states for a visit (he's been living in the UK for the past decade). For a sad reason, unfortunately - his mother passed. He came back to try and help handle some of her affairs (no will). Downside: his dad's being lovely about everything, there's 2 kids (friend and his sister, who's also a friend of mine), and 2 houses involved (both houses have one name on them.. both purchased outside of marriage, one belonging to each parent). So it's going to be complicated, to say the least. And very likely ugly.

Upside: he brought his Scottish boyfriend. Dat accent. :swoon: He makes Big Clive sound like he's from Indiana. It was like a record scratch when we walked into a gay bar and he made an order at the bar, everyone nearby heard the accent and just... stopped.

Another downside: friend revealed he's (friend, not his bf) HIV+. :smith: That's 3 friends that I know of that have that kind of positivity in their life now. He's on medications that have his viral load essentially zero, but he has to stay on them forever. Upside for him is he has UK citizenship, so he can use their healthcare system (I think this is an upside, anyway?).

everdave posted:

I've been burned enough times helping long time friends that I'm never doing it again, outside of a one time financial thing. :smith: At least in so far as letting people stay with me "for a couple of weeks", or "loans". At least none of my CCs has ever had a high enough credit limit to do much damage. (e: I know I offered Dave a place to crash before, that offer still stands, but I think we get a lot more insight into someone's personal life on here vs normal face to face interactions - we see each other at our best and worst, and everywhere in between).

I have one friend who comes over to do laundry. That, I'm fine with; she helps me clean the place while she's here (since I'm a slob), outside of the one cold month we get the laundry helps me get a discount on my electric bill, and her older kids (9 and 14) are pretty awesome. The 2 year old is, well, in the midst of terrible twos, and reminds me of why I said I'd never have kids.

Fermented Tinal posted:

My manual Versa has 3 pedals AND power locks/windows/keyless entry.

Can't get that combo anymore on US models, according to Nissan USA. :argh:

Savington posted:

re: Versa chat. I just spent 5 days behind the wheel of an Altima, and all I can say is "loving don't". Awful CVT, awful touchy-rear end brakes, touchy throttle, steering that was both vague and twitchy on center, acres of poo poo plastic in the interior. Seriously, my wife's $21k Mazda3 is better in every conceivable way. I'll never recommend a Nissan to anyone after experiencing that pile of trash.

I owned a 99 Altima at one time. The interior quality was miles better than the newer Altimas IMO (not as much plastic anyway), and mine had 3 pedals (so it actually had a little bit of power), but it was a car that was just a pain in the rear end to work on. When step 1 of replacing the PCV valve or power steering pump is "remove intake manifold", and removing the intake manifold alone has close to double digit hours by the book... :fuckoff:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jan 6, 2018

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

everdave posted:

I do all my own work, just at some point I have to objectively look is it worth giving up my free time to keep maintaining a vehicle with 200k miles on it. No one is more tormented by the idea of me taking the easy way out just weighing time with my kids and work where I make money versus spending a weekend fixing an oil leak which I will probably do anyway. In other news I figured why not ask the local dealer if they could get close to that price and they are getting back to me.
The $7800 or whatever you listed a page or two ago to have a car you don't have to worry about for the next 5+ years is probably worth it. I've been considering doing the same after a series of issues with my 300k+ daily. But I'm too cheap for now and have what seems like a very specific list of what I want and budget so I'd be shopping used cars.

everdave posted:

Well I just found out that a lifelong friend who lost everything in Key West, who I sent $1k and never wanted it back, who asked me to put my credit card on file for a hotel FEMA was paying for because he didn’t have one and not o e cent would be charged, and the hotel asked me not to do it but I said I grew up with this guy I’ll help my friend, well...

He went on a two month booze steak and lobster fest and I’m out thousands. I signed everything saying I understood the risks. He claimed for a week or two it was all a mixup and now he’s gone. 30 years and I helped him and he said I was the only person to help him he has no family. Wow. No point to this but wow.
:stonk: It's really sad when people take advantage of generosity but this is a whole other level.

kimbo305 posted:

I hope it got buried before the rats took up residence:

Rip my rotors.
:drat: that's a lot of snow. How is that thing in the snow? Do you have snow tires or at least a decent set of all season tires?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Now that I know this exists I too want one. Great.

So the last couple of days my spawn have been completely dreadful. Just total disobedience that no matter what direction I go I feel like I am failing at this parenting thing no matter what I do. Try the don't yell method and only positive words and reinforcement blah blah nothing, no results. Yell at them, then feel bad because you are a grown rear end human and yelling does nothing. Mrs Heroic is feeling the same.

Kids, man. They just kick your rear end all the time.

I read this when you posted it, nodding in agreement.

Then today I realized....too late....that there was no paper in the bathroom, and my 4yo was able to bring me some. Everything is now worth it.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Kids, man. They just kick your rear end all the time.

Keep sticking with it. It can be absolutely soul-crushing at times, but there are also times where you get a breath of air and thing "hey, these stupid kids may end up alright." Don't get cocky, though... those times don't last long. :D

Also, the Detroit Axle cheap-o struts I put on the front of my Avalon are absolutely frozen to gently caress at -3*F. Every bump is met with a jolt through the car as if there is no suspension whatsoever. Detroit Axle Oxcart Mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

NitroSpazzz posted:

I've been considering doing the same after a series of issues with my 300k+ daily.

Read this three times before it didn’t have a dollar sign in my brain. Was irrationally angry that it wasn’t accompanied by pictures of your Vanquish.

:v:

• Locked thread