Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Chris Roberts should hold a telephon with musical acts to save Star Citizen, and license out "We're Sending Our Love Down The Well" because that'd be pretty loving perfect.

EDIT: Melting catte tax because it's like 41C here today, or 105F for you dirty Imperial users.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Truga posted:

This is the "so you're saying that company that didn't have a license at all is doing this?" way of getting hosed by skadden c/d?

That "wrong company" poo poo is funny as - it's obvious that you can tie RSI to CIG - RSI sell stuff that CIG is spose to be making. The "Products" that RSI gets money for are only possible due to the use of the "game" engine.

Comedy gold. :five:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Aesaar posted:

CIG is saying they thought 'exclusive' meant that Crytek was giving them an exclusive right to use CryEngine for SC. As in no one else would be allowed to use CryEngine. :psyduck:

This is good for CryEngine.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Regrettable posted:

They were selling it as almost complete, though. It might be more plausible for them to say that they started development in CryEngine but halted it once they announced it as a standalone so they could start over in Lumberyard. It's late and I didn't read that part so maybe I'm off base here.

I'm pretty sure it's fuzzy enough that it's not going to meet the level of criminal fraud unless something extremely damning comes out during discovery, and for civil fraud you'd need someone with actual damages to bring them to court for it...so aforementioned backers.

Like I'm not going to pretend CIG's great here but there's a lot of rather-more-egregious iterations of kickstarter incompetence that nobody's felt the need to go prosecuting and as long as CIG can show that they're making a good faith effort to deliver their product (which in this case would almost certainly be met by what they have so far and an incredibly low bar to clear), nobody's going to dismantle CIG for fraud.

Trilobite posted:

Can anyone explain what exactly the difference between CIG and RSI is supposed to be?

Based on their interactions with people taking them to small claims for refunds, the difference is "the one you want to sue is the one you didn't mention in your lawsuit ergo this lawsuit is invalid"

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Kosumo posted:

That "wrong company" poo poo is funny as - it's obvious that you can tie RSI to CIG - RSI sell stuff that CIG is spose to be making. The "Products" that RSI gets money for are only possible due to the use of the "game" engine.

It's the same half-dozen or so jerks heading each of the 15 or whatever companies anyway, right?

Chris and Erin Roberts, Ortwin, the Gizmondo guys, maybe one or two other patsies?

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

I'm only up to page 3392, but goddamn holy poo poo MoMA is in that amazing overlap of unknowledgeable and vocal.

He also is part of cigs legal department which would also explain the current situation

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Ghostlight posted:

That's just a non-compete clause intended to stop anyone licensing CryEngine, mining it for ideas, then developing their own engine. They'd be pushing poo poo uphill trying to get it to be read as binding CIG to not be able to use another game engine for development+two years.

But they have promoted Lumber Yard engine (in there press release) which that passage says they can not do for two years.

I'm sure that Chris Roberts done all this think that Crytek where insolvent and going to die and no one would take him to court over this ..... As often Chris was wrong.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Now, aside from the Abuminable, business goes on as usual.
How many lines of cocaine does one need to cause one to sign like this?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Space Court is go.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

AP posted:

Space Court is go.

No doubt. CIG chose well with FFUKKME as their representation. Their infantile filing looks like something produced by a firm I could afford at my paltry income level.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Abuminable posted:

How many lines of cocaine does one need to cause one to sign like this?

you just don't understand signature development :colbert:

my wife perpetually comments on my mad scribble of a signature

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

AP posted:

Space Court is go.

I mentioned it in discord but now I'm thinking about it for real-- I'm curious to see if they settle and this is just them attempting to steer the narrative back-- "we filed our MASSIVE LEGAL SMACKDOWN and skadden realized they had no chance :smug:"

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Jesus christ, I was expecting... I dunno what I was expecting. Definitely not the "nuh-uh, that was the other company :smug:" defense.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
RSI is proud to reveal that we never had any license agreement with Crytek, as part of this ip infringement legal case.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

G0RF posted:

In other Batgirl news...

:lol:

After her two minute tale of errors upon frustrations (clipping errors, dragonflies stuck in scaffolding, broken legs and more) to no end, the punchline:

“and I think that’s a perfect example of why I like this game.”
Heh, the shitizens had the same reaction after that Christmas special where CR finally played the game and they thought the disaster made the game seem “authentic” and and stuff.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

I presume section 3 of the GLA contains the juicy stuff about the royalties CryTek are due. It's unfortunate it was edited out.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I cleaned it up a little by delineating the individual letters in different colours, but the silly man really has a problem with crossing his ts.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
Good job there's totally no Cryengine code left in the Star Engine, it's all Lumberyard plus CIG/RSI modifications, because if there was anything left that came from Crytek and not Amazon, CIG/RSI would be completely hosed.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Jesus christ, I was expecting... I dunno what I was expecting. Definitely not the "nuh-uh, that was the other company :smug:" defense.

No officer, I did not kill her, I am not Randy Blackford the murder, I'm Kosumo from Something Awful and I was poo poo posting when the skanky bitch got what was coming to her she fell while cooking a steak and decapitated herself on a cheese greater. I think the blame lies with Donald Trump, after all it was him who choose to make Americans great again.

And that's how I got away with murder, thanks CIG

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm not really sure you can claim the 'wrong company' defense when both companies are clearly listed at the bottom of the webpage you're using to promote the game(s) and sell the game(s)

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
:lol: at everything.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
These representations are made to enable the Court to evaluate possible disqualification or recusal.
(1)Crytek GmbH, plaintiff
(2)Cloud Imperium Games Corp. (“CIG”), defendant
(3)Roberts Space Industries Corp., defendant and subsidiary of CIG
(4)Ortwin Freyermuth, owner/principal of CIG
(5)Erin Roberts, owner/principal of CIG
(6)Chris Roberts, owner/principal of CIG
(7)Cloud Imperium Games LLC, subsidiary of CIG
(8)Cloud Imperium Games Texas LLC, subsidiary of CIG
(9)Cloud Imperium Rights LLC, subsidiary of CIG
(10) Gemini 42 Entertainment LLC, subsidiary of Cloud Imperium Games LLC
(11) Gemini 42 Productions LLC, subsidiary of Cloud Imperium Games LLC
(12) Cloud Imperium Games UK Limited, sister entity of CIG
(13) Roberts Space Industries International Limited, subsidiary of Cloud
Imperium Games UK Limited
(14) Cloud Imperium Rights Limited, subsidiary of Cloud Imperium Games UK
Limited
(15) Foundry 42 Limited, subsidiary of Cloud Imperium Games UK Limited
(16) Beazley, insurer for CIG

:gary:

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Ladies and Gentleman of the Jury, please rise as we present the prosecution's surprise witness: Dr. Derek K. Smart. The Court advises the Jury to please permit the esteemed witness to loving finish.

Nov 24, 2014

Ashye posted:

Unless that's what they're trying to claim the 'two days' switchover was, replacing their custom code on the branch of LY (which I don't think works that way, I'll leave it up to the programming goons to talk about that idea)

Development didn't start until 2 days before the lumberyard switch.
Checkmate.

Abuminable
Mar 30, 2017

Can someone go pull up a copy of Derek's checkbook for March 2017?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Kosumo posted:

I bet the rationalisation of let's create a dozen of companies so nobody really knows which ones to sue when poo poo hits the fans is not far off the truth.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Abuminable posted:

Ladies and Gentleman of the Jury, please rise as we present the prosecution's surprise witness: Dr. Derek K. Smart. The Court advises the Jury to please permit the esteemed witness to loving finish.

:gary:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
I'm calling the mother of all tweetstorms for today.

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

looks at trump

yeah i'll believe things matter when i see it i guess :nallears:

im sorry, what does this have to do with anything? unsure of what youre implying.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Chris is called up and 20 hand-picked whales from the concierge dinner stand and in unison chant "I am Chris Roberts" as they run around the room causing enough chaos for the real Chris to escape.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Calling it now before Derek can.

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

Si companido no goodo, caso nullo?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

DapperDon posted:

Fun fact, you get to personally attach the CEO of a company to your litigation. And by direct association that means since Chris and Sandi are legally married, that means BOTH of their assets can be in jeopardy.

I am p sure most of their assets are by now in a trust to the name of any of their key relatives or untouchable in fiscal havens.

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

:lol: if it''s Amazon funding CryTek

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Ponzi posted:

:lol: if it''s Amazon funding CryTek

I can seriously picture Amazon's engineers/devs/whomever going to CIG after Chris signed on to Lumberyard, seeing the operation, and going straight back to Amazon and saying "we need to get out of this deal RIGHT NOW"

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Breetai posted:

I cleaned it up a little by delineating the individual letters in different colours, but the silly man really has a problem with crossing his ts.

I was gonna mention it really looks like it spells oval office then saw your post lol

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Goredema posted:

[Duplicate post. I am bad at internet. Please accept these oranges as my apology.]

This is a good post

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I'm not an IP litigator (although I do know one who works in CA and who I might be able to get to weigh in), so I'm not going to comment on the merits. I'm going to comment on the drafting.

The way that document is written says an awful lot about CIG's priorities. I feel for the lawyers who had to write it, because I'd bet money they had Chris and Ortwin leaning over their shoulders demanding stuff as they drew it up. Statements of case are supposed to be calm and clear summaries of a party's position; this one rages about those big CryTek meanies and how crap their arguments are. I've worked for egomaniacs and I recognise the signs. We've got:

1. A lengthy rant at the start about how mean CryTek are and how they tell filthy filthy lies. This doesn't actually win points with judges (maybe juries, but even then...). The court's got a dozen files to get through today, they don't appreciate having to wade through your detailed allegations about what grade of cock the Plaintiff gargles.

2. A decidedly aggressive tone in the first few pages, i.e. the ones an investor or backer are most likely to read. This is the real "fire and fury", a ferocious defence that plays to the crowd and reassures them that their money is safe. Obviously CIG would like to see their motion to dismiss succeed, but it's rather akin to the injunction Skadden opened with; a furious counterattack to show how big their law-peen is.

3. A fanatical need, in the first few pages, to state that CryTek's statements are false. Okay, we get it, why every time you use the word "statement"? Because someone was breathing down the drafter's neck about how incredibly evil CryTek are and demanding that they put in how all their statements are filthy lies. I wonder if Chris is the kind of client who demands personal signoff on case papers?

Matters then calm down for a while, probably because Chris didn't read that far and because FFKS actually need to set out the technical details of their case, but then we start up again with....

4. An entire section devoted to saying how wonderful and blameless Ortwin is, and how his reputation is irrevocably harmed by nasty things said about him on websites.

This isn't even relevant to the defence anymore. Presumably it was drawn up in response to the earlier allegation and then left in on Ortwin's orders so there was a public statement refuting the mean things Skadden said about him (and his peon, who gets namechecked once). That tells me all I need to know about Ortwin.

Summary: CIG's egomaniac executives are bleeding through onto the page. It hasn't compromised anything yet, but this would provoke some eyerolls in most courts. They're still playing to the crowd, which is an understandable and rational response but does leave open all the comedy meltdown options this thread dreams of.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Chris Roberts should hold a telephon with musical acts to save Star Citizen, and license out "We're Sending Our Love Down The Well" because that'd be pretty loving perfect.

EDIT: Melting catte tax because it's like 41C here today, or 105F for you dirty Imperial users.

It's 9 degrees here (-13C for French persons).

I'd rather be cold than hot though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Loxbourne posted:

I'm not an IP litigator (although I do know one who works in CA and who I might be able to get to weigh in), so I'm not going to comment on the merits. I'm going to comment on the drafting.

The way that document is written says an awful lot about CIG's priorities. I feel for the lawyers who had to write it, because I'd bet money they had Chris and Ortwin leaning over their shoulders demanding stuff as they drew it up. Statements of case are supposed to be calm and clear summaries of a party's position; this one rages about those big CryTek meanies and how crap their arguments are. I've worked for egomaniacs and I recognise the signs. We've got:

1. A lengthy rant at the start about how mean CryTek are and how they tell filthy filthy lies. This doesn't actually win points with judges (maybe juries, but even then...). The court's got a dozen files to get through today, they don't appreciate having to wade through your detailed allegations about what grade of cock the Plaintiff gargles.

2. A decidedly aggressive tone in the first few pages, i.e. the ones an investor or backer are most likely to read. This is the real "fire and fury", a ferocious defence that plays to the crowd and reassures them that their money is safe. Obviously CIG would like to see their motion to dismiss succeed, but it's rather akin to the injunction Skadden opened with; a furious counterattack to show how big their law-peen is.

3. A fanatical need, in the first few pages, to state that CryTek's statements are false. Okay, we get it, why every time you use the word "statement"? Because someone was breathing down the drafter's neck about how incredibly evil CryTek are and demanding that they put in how all their statements are filthy lies. I wonder if Chris is the kind of client who demands personal signoff on case papers?

Matters then calm down for a while, probably because Chris didn't read that far and because FFKS actually need to set out the technical details of their case, but then we start up again with....

4. An entire section devoted to saying how wonderful and blameless Ortwin is, and how his reputation is irrevocably harmed by nasty things said about him on websites.

This isn't even relevant to the defence anymore. Presumably it was drawn up in response to the earlier allegation and then left in on Ortwin's orders so there was a public statement refuting the mean things Skadden said about him (and his peon, who gets namechecked once). That tells me all I need to know about Ortwin.

Summary: CIG's egomaniac executives are bleeding through onto the page. It hasn't compromised anything yet, but this would provoke some eyerolls in most courts. They're still playing to the crowd, which is an understandable and rational response but does leave open all the comedy meltdown options this thread dreams of.

We all appreciate this non-binding breakdown, thanks.