Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Thoughts on Grancrest War:

Yep, this is definitely what a modern day rendition of Lodoss War would feel like. Reminds me of Fire Emblem, though that may have been just the whole getting promoted part. Also maybe the whole start of a campaign part to conquer everyone else and recruiting allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

For worst show of the season, based solely on the PVs, I'm gonna go with either Killing Bites or Death March.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Devilman Crybaby is Yuasa's descent into madness and I don't know if I can handle it.

Seriously, do not watch this if you have even a slight aversion to hyperviolent gore and sexual debauchery.

Also, I'm now certain that all I want for next Christmas is a Yuasa show about street rap battles.

is this not what kemonozume was like? (i haven't seen a whole lot of kemonozume, but i'll be watching it soon)

tbh between what i remember of kemonozume, mind game, and kick heart yuasa doesn't seem like the type to shy away from sex at all

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Araki posted:

For worst show of the season, based solely on the PVs, I'm gonna go with either Killing Bites or Death March.

You could add worst original material for Death March as well.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Largepotato posted:

You could add worst original material for Death March as well.

Worst "original" material.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

is this not what kemonozume was like? (i haven't seen a whole lot of kemonozume, but i'll be watching it soon)

tbh between what i remember of kemonozume, mind game, and kick heart yuasa doesn't seem like the type to shy away from sex at all
Kemonozume feels way less psychotic than Devilman Crybaby. Devilman Crybaby feels like the producers told Yuasa "Here are your drugs. Do all of them", and Yuasa was all too happy to oblige, spending the majority of the production process either taunting Okouchi and calling him dumb names, like "Arse Geass", "Linkin Lelouch" and "MOÉ ENTHUSIAST" or having some of the most revealing moments of clarity he ever had in his life and declared "Let's make Uncle Go proud and make Urobuchi look like an utter poser!".

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

First episode of A Place Further Than The Universe was great! The show has a good sense of comedic timing, the character animation is a lot of fun, and I like the down-to-earth approach to the ridiculous concept. Will definitely keep watching.

First episode of Ito Junji, on the other hand... The art looks terrible (and not just because Ito's art doesn't translate well to full color and motion; it looked straight up like a Flash animation from 2004 at times), and the pacing and music direction are way off. I thought it might just be because they picked a bad story to start with, but the short at the end wasn't much better. Might give it one more episode.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Allarion posted:

Thoughts on Grancrest War:

Yep, this is definitely what a modern day rendition of Lodoss War would feel like. Reminds me of Fire Emblem, though that may have been just the whole getting promoted part. Also maybe the whole start of a campaign part to conquer everyone else and recruiting allies.

it felt rushed and also there wasn't enough of hot shadow assassin

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Wark Say posted:

Kemonozume feels way less psychotic than Devilman Crybaby. Devilman Crybaby feels like the producers told Yuasa "Here are your drugs. Do all of them", and Yuasa was all too happy to oblige, spending the majority of the production process either taunting Okouchi and calling him dumb names, like "Arse Geass", "Linkin Lelouch" and "MOÉ ENTHUSIAST" or having some of the most revealing moments of clarity he ever had in his life and declared "Let's make Uncle Go proud and make Urobuchi look like an utter poser!".

It really is just a case of them looking at the source material and trying to find ways to make it do what Nagai wanted to do better. Even the loose, hallucinatory artstyle is in-keeping with the original manga - the only difference is that it’s more deliberate and deployed more professionally (not to say that it was all accidental on Nagai’s part, obviously, but let’s be honest here, he was always more about the ideas than the execution). They even managed to translate over the original’s weird, shitposty sense of humour, which is no mean feat - the way comic timing works in anime is drastically different from the way it works in manga.

The fact that it all turned out completely batshit insane is simply a demonstration of a successful adaptation of batshit insane source material.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

Any show that can make you enjoy a full minute of basically nothing but a character giddily scarfing down some cup ramen is good IMO

That one segment in Yurucamp was far more entertaining than every ramen-scarfing scene in Ramen Daisuki Koizumi-san, with the additional benefit of nobody screaming out their running thoughts about said ramen-scarfer.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Roth posted:

Is Toji no Miko trash?

Davincie posted:

like 3/4th of the first ep was sword fights which surprised me, since i was expecting a more simple cute girl show. theres a bit of a tokusatsu/magical girl element with them fighting giant monsters as well. the sword fights didn't have real gore, but they did have a sort of 'ghost' concept so they showed people being cut in half without anyone being hurt. seemed fine

Sakurazuka posted:

Enjoyed it more than I was expecting, thought it would be generic girls with super powers trash like Schoolgirl Strikers and while it kind of was there were also enough hooks for me to try a few more episodes.

On the other hand lets go through the checklist:
  • Armed anime girls
  • CG monsters
  • Power armor girls school uniform
  • Brooding antagonist/rival
  • Energetic protagonist
  • Bath scene
  • "Hey...never mind it's nothing." communication issues
  • Yuri subtext
  • Government conspiracy subtext
  • 5 member team from rival schools
  • Weird animal mascot
It isn't like these shows are particularly bad, it is just that they are so incredibly generic and by the formula it is hard to stick with one unless there is nothing else airing on the same day. It would be better/more original if it was more a sports anime than a girls fighting CG monsters anime since that breaks the formula if only a little, but considering they basically burned the entire tournament arc in half the first episode it doesn't inspire much confidence. If this was airing on Wednesday, it would be easy to follow because it would be basically uncontested, Friday...not so much. But I haven't seen/checked all the Friday shows yet, so it really depends on everything else.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Darth Walrus posted:

It really is just a case of them looking at the source material and trying to find ways to make it do what Nagai wanted to do better. Even the loose, hallucinatory artstyle is in-keeping with the original manga - the only difference is that it’s more deliberate and deployed more professionally (not to say that it was all accidental on Nagai’s part, obviously, but let’s be honest here, he was always more about the ideas than the execution). They even managed to translate over the original’s weird, shitposty sense of humour, which is no mean feat - the way comic timing works in anime is drastically different from the way it works in manga.

The fact that it all turned out completely batshit insane is simply a demonstration of a successful adaptation of batshit insane source material.
Exactly! Patton Oswalt used to do a bit about him visiting Disneyland with her daughter and saying "Wow! If they gave an obsessive-compulsive enough money, they do amazing stuff!" and DMCB kinda feels like that.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
didnt expect toji no miko to be present-day japan. it's like ga-rei with lesbians

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

didnt expect toji no miko to be present-day japan. it's like ga-rei with lesbians

thats called ga-rei zero

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

• Armed anime girls
  • CG monsters
  • Energetic protagonist
  • Bath scene
  • Yuri subtext
  • Weird animal mascot
It isn't like these shows are particularly bad, it is just that they are so incredibly generic and by the formula it is hard to stick with one unless there is nothing else airing on the same day. It would be better/more original if it was more a sports anime than a girls fighting CG monsters anime since that breaks the formula if only a little, but considering they basically burned the entire tournament arc in half the first episode it doesn't inspire much confidence. If this was airing on Wednesday, it would be easy to follow because it would be basically uncontested, Friday...not so much. But I haven't seen/checked all the Friday shows yet, so it really depends on everything else.
you can watch anime on days other than the day they air, you know

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Heh more like gah-rei

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

thats called ga-rei zero

holy poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
non-memepost: i'm real excited for toji no miko because it has a lot of similarities in theming and char types to 'military girls' stuff like kancolle and strike witches and garupan; it has an edge up on the first two because it's an anime project with a seasoned writer behind it, so it has an optimistic chance at an entertaining/nuanced plot where its subgenre friends struggled because they were advertisements for franchises

also, character designer Shizuma Yoshinori is The Best (they made boat girls like shimakaze, who is fast, and iowa, who was born in New York) and the animation emulates their style extremely well. compare to say, grimoire of zero, which is also based on Yoshinori designs but a few steps removed in the end result. yay

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Indiana_Krom posted:

• Armed anime girls
  • CG monsters
  • Energetic protagonist
  • Bath scene
  • Yuri subtext
  • Weird animal mascot

none of these things are bad or good to me, especially when entirely removed from context. seems like a pointless exercise

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I hope the anime girls have arms!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

citrus was quite lewd, but in a different way from the usual harem-anime manner. (Since it's not a harem.)

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
https://a.doko.moe/qsjvhg.webm

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Araki posted:

First episode of Ito Junji, on the other hand... The art looks terrible (and not just because Ito's art doesn't translate well to full color and motion; it looked straight up like a Flash animation from 2004 at times), and the pacing and music direction are way off. I thought it might just be because they picked a bad story to start with, but the short at the end wasn't much better. Might give it one more episode.

Honestly, as much as I'm looking forward to Junji Ito Collection I know my enjoyment of each episode is going to rely on which story they're adapting. That show is going to be very hit or miss.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

:same:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

StandardVC10 posted:

I like rin's giant topknot bun and poncho-thing

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pop Team Epic is....

Pop Team Epic.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

:yeah:

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Waffleman_ posted:

Pop Team Epic is....

Pop Team Epic.

You mean Bob Epic Team?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
they announced a tanya the evil film project :toot:

i don't think its a recap film

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its a recap film

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

dogsicle posted:

none of these things are bad or good to me, especially when entirely removed from context. seems like a pointless exercise
Try to picture a production committee meeting to develop a new anime, and they just go down the checklist of what is in other successful series targeting this specific demographic, the result would look just like this. I didn't say any of the elements were good or bad, the problem is I've seen almost this exact mix of bullet points in the first episodes of a half dozen other series. It is a bland anime with decent production quality.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Crain posted:

You mean Bob Epic Team?

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
not sure what i expected from pop team epic but it was decently funny. A+ voice acting

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Katana Maidens is a solid meh. The start sort of made it look like it was going to be symphogear minus songs plus swords but then the rest sort of stoged along untill the point where not setsuna tried to ice not satsuki even though she had given evils to the champ the whole episode.

Only real bonus was at least the diagetics were good, by the time it happened you were under no illusion that not Setsuna was going to be seven shades of hosed if she got cut without that AT Field that up.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Watched Slow Start. It... was slow.

Might be good, but it's not a good thing to watch after POP TEAM EPIC and March Lion.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

nielsm posted:

Watched Slow Start. It... was slow.

Might be good, but it's not a good thing to watch after POP TEAM EPIC and March Lion.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You have my attention.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

I'm glad of her understated glare

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Willing to give Citrus a shot if it's not just fanservice, because I was excited until I saw that they're step-sisters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wouldn't call citrus fanservicey, just melodramatic

• Locked thread