Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

suicidesteve posted:

So our store officially stopped advertising FNM legacy after if fired less than 1/4 of the time over most of the last year.

Anyone have any ideas what happened not quite a year ago that would cause people to stop coming to legacy?

Another shop supports it better? 4 out of the 8 of you found something better to do? Most of you played grixis delver and wanted to play the mirror all day?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Why aren't either of you playing Jadelight Ranger? Rogue Refiner is a good card, I would want to play the merfolk version of it.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

DangerDongs posted:

Why aren't either of you playing Jadelight Ranger? Rogue Refiner is a good card, I would want to play the merfolk version of it.

dang it, yeah, that looks good too

e: second pass over it

quote:

35 creatures
x4 kumena's speaker
x4 mist-cloaked herald
x4 deeproot elite
x4 silvergill adept
x3 river sneak
x4 merfolk mistbinder
x4 metallic mimic
x3 jadelight ranger
x2 kumena, tyrant of orazca
x3 herald of secret streams

3 spells (lol)
x3 blossoming defense

22 lands
x4 unclaimed territory
x4 botanical sanctum
x7 island
x7 forest

sb
x4 essence scatter (for poo poo i cant abide)
x3 negate (see above)
x3 heroic intervention (defense!)
x3 plummet (glorybringers could be out there right)
x2 naturalize (poo poo dude i dunno whats all in this set)

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 6, 2018

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
This is what I came up with. Unless Temur gets nerfed I don't think Merfolk have a chance.

20 lands

4xKumena’s Speaker
2x Kopala
4x Merfolk Branchwalker
4x Metallic Mimic
4x Deeproot elite
4x Merfolk Mistbinder
4x Silvergil Adept
4x Jadelight Ranger
4x Swift Warden
2x Seafloor Oralce

4x Blossoming Defense

Sideboard:
4x Negate
2x Admiral's Orders
3x Naturalize
2x Vizier of Many faces
2x River's Rebuke
2x Lands

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DangerDongs posted:

Because I have 18 lands and 2 3-drops.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

DangerDongs posted:

This is what I came up with. Unless Temur gets nerfed I don't think Merfolk have a chance.

20 lands

4xKumena’s Speaker
2x Kopala
4x Merfolk Branchwalker
4x Metallic Mimic
4x Deeproot elite
4x Merfolk Mistbinder
4x Silvergil Adept
4x Jadelight Ranger
4x Swift Warden
2x Seafloor Oralce

4x Blossoming Defense

Sideboard:
4x Negate
2x Admiral's Orders
3x Naturalize
2x Vizier of Many faces
2x River's Rebuke
2x Lands

There's no way Attune doesn't get banned. I think the questionable thing is whether Aether Hub gets banned. It's not power, it's that nobody finds Standard any fun because nothing is going to break through the existing decks.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Angry Grimace posted:

There's no way Attune doesn't get banned. I think the questionable thing is whether Aether Hub gets banned. It's not power, it's that nobody finds Standard any fun because nothing is going to break through the existing decks.

Honestly if they're going to ban anything they might as well go whole hog and ban Ramunap Ruins as well. Yeah it'd be embarassing like when they banned Reflector Mage (without saying it was because of Copy Cat) but banning Attune with Aether is going to be embarassing already, being the lowest power level card banned in 20 years.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Attune with Aether being banned is just kind of hilarious.

If Energy decks get nerfed, I wonder what decks will take its place.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Matsuri posted:

My constant strategy of get good at T1.75 decks continues to be the best plan.

(R/U emerge before Ixalan, Esper gifts after Ixalan)

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

is there really not a game day on the schedule for rivals? have those gone away?

ive mostly played online and kitchen table edh games since amonkhet due to work being a real fucker on my time/energy. was looking at getting back into my lgs for some events.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Soul Glo posted:

is there really not a game day on the schedule for rivals? have those gone away?

ive mostly played online and kitchen table edh games since amonkhet due to work being a real fucker on my time/energy. was looking at getting back into my lgs for some events.

Game Days were replaced with Store Championships because I guess you can't have both for some reason I dunno.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Matsuri posted:

Grixis Midrange does the same kinda speed without being quite as ridiculous. It does kind of need Aether Hub. It doesn't play the same though, it can't really do poo poo until it goes bigger. But it plays a lot more like you'd expect a fair deck to play.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Jan 6, 2018

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Honestly if they're going to ban anything they might as well go whole hog and ban Ramunap Ruins as well. Yeah it'd be embarassing like when they banned Reflector Mage (without saying it was because of Copy Cat) but banning Attune with Aether is going to be embarassing already, being the lowest power level card banned in 20 years.

Comedy answer, ban Sunscorched Desert.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

DangerDongs posted:

If Energy gets hit too hard what will stop Mono Red?

Chandra spiking to 65 apiece and no players who can afford her wanting to play standard.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

The problem with this set is that there’s nothing much to build around and the limited looks very similar to the base set.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's probably a good thing they're dropping small sets.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

Did we really need a strictly worse Pacifism?

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem with this set is that there’s nothing much to build around and the limited looks very similar to the base set.

If you can't see what the limited set is about to add to the base, I don't know what to tell you.

As a limited only player right now, i'm incredibly stoked for these cards to exist in my drafts.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Matsuri posted:

Approach variants

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Angry Grimace posted:

But it plays a lot more like you'd expect a fair deck to play.

I wouldn't call energy unfair. It's just in a tier of its own in power level and consistency.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

80s James Hetfield posted:

Approach variants

I've been playing U/W approach after getting bored with Temur, and it is an amazing deck if your field is mostly Temur. You pretty much have an auto game one against them due to all of their removal being dead. Game two and three depend on if you get your early counterspells in time, because you can assume your first wrath effect is going to get countered. However, you bring in Regal Caracles, because when you are at five mana and they have a negate mana open they won't be stopping that.

My sideboard Package against Temur is:
3x Gearhulk
2x Regal Caracle
1x Jace's Defeat

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Zemyla posted:

Did we really need a strictly worse Pacifism?

They didn't want a 2 CMC Pacify in the set, but they did find a place for it at 3, it's just a limited consideration.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

DangerDongs posted:

I've been playing U/W approach after getting bored with Temur, and it is an amazing deck if your field is mostly Temur. You pretty much have an auto game one against them due to all of their removal being dead. Game two and three depend on if you get your early counterspells in time, because you can assume your first wrath effect is going to get countered. However, you bring in Regal Caracles, because when you are at five mana and they have a negate mana open they won't be stopping that.

My sideboard Package against Temur is:
3x Gearhulk
2x Regal Caracle
1x Jace's Defeat

I mostly play Esper and trounce Energy as well. Last night I started ditching Negate in favor of Spell Pierce because most of the time they always leave up XU mana for Negate and blasting them with a one mana Spell Pierce I assumed would eat them alive and I was right.

I went 3-0 and split first place prizing last night at FNM

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The first round of this open is awful.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Sickening posted:

I just tuned in for the end of that 2nd game and wow....

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BizarroAzrael posted:

They didn't want a 2 CMC Pacify in the set, but they did find a place for it at 3, it's just a limited consideration.

3 CMC Pacify is called Arrest, or something else with a small bonus. I suppose maybe they tested it and found that the activated ability clause just ruined everything :qq:

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

JerryLee posted:

3 CMC Pacify is called Arrest, or something else with a small bonus. I suppose maybe they tested it and found that the activated ability clause just ruined everything :qq:

There was a 4 mana pacifism with upside in the last set :shrug:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

JerryLee posted:

There's 10 creatures with activated abilities that work on the battlefield in RIX, and 26 in XLN. This is out of 261 creatures total. Maybe they left the clause off so that people wouldn't try to get maximum value and nail the Charging Monstrosaur that they loving need to nail instead of waiting for an activated ability.

Or maybe the clause would cause confusion since it stops so little of what the block's creatures do. Enrage is triggered, Ascend is a state based action, Raid is a mishmash of abilities with a unified condition, Vehicles don't stay creatures for very long. It may just be to save confusion.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Wait so if WotC doesn't want a high density of powerful removal options because getting your cool creature removed is a feelbad, what's the rationale behind powering down ramp significantly over the last several years? One-mana ramp creatures and two-mana ramp spells seem like they're considered too powerful for the current Standard given the dinosaur-specfic ramp options we've gotten, but powering out a five-mana midrange finisher on turn three seems like the ultimate feelgood. What's the issue

Is it just that they're taking the inverse and declaring that it feels bad to have someone significantly outpace your own mana production, or

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

It's modern, what do you expect?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Jenny Angel posted:

Wait so if WotC doesn't want a high density of powerful removal options because getting your cool creature removed is a feelbad, what's the rationale behind powering down ramp significantly over the last several years? One-mana ramp creatures and two-mana ramp spells seem like they're considered too powerful for the current Standard given the dinosaur-specfic ramp options we've gotten, but powering out a five-mana midrange finisher on turn three seems like the ultimate feelgood. What's the issue

Is it just that they're taking the inverse and declaring that it feels bad to have someone significantly outpace your own mana production, or

they're afraid of printing op cards and having to ban them so instead they're accidentally printing op cards and having to ban them

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Sickening posted:

Especially since both of these guys have made PTs.

Abhorrence
Feb 5, 2010

A love that crushes like a mace.

Soul Glo posted:

they're afraid of printing op cards and having to ban them so instead they're accidentally printing mediocre cards and having to ban them

Fixed. The fact that people are seriously discussing banning a lay of the land with upside is deeply shameful.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
It's been a while since I've played magic, can someone explain to me what's the big deal with energy and why it's such a problem?

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

All (played) cards with energy are undercosted for what they do and they get perfect 4-color mana for free. Like, most of these cards would be playable even without extra energy slapped onto them.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Abhorrence posted:

Fixed. The fact that people are seriously discussing banning a lay of the land with upside is deeply shameful.

I don't think they should ban anything. Let standard die so more people play modern and legacy.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, compare what has been banned across standards and you'll see a gradually decreasing curve for the most part.

Memory Jar was busted as all hell in it's time and still is with fast mana.

Affinity was just way too powerful as a whole next to it's contemporaries and it's still a strong stalwart in Modern.

Jace and Stoneforge were incredibly powerful cards vastly above the curve of a lot of the cards they shared a standard with, and while they're fun cards they were just too strong for standard (but not for Modern, free them Wizards!)

Then next up we have...Emrakul, a card that would be pretty strong in most recent standards of the last 5 years but still require building around to work, Smuggler's Copter, a card that was more annoying for sheer ubiquity than anything else, and...Reflector Mage? :confused: Why the hell is a pushed Man-o-War too much for standard?

Then at this point the floodgates start to open, a loving 1/4 4 mana common gets banned out because they just don't have the removal in standard to answer a 1/4 4 mana common, and they follow it up with banning Aetherworks Marvel, a card which comboed with itself and would've been potentially viable in other standards, but also did require some building around and was strong primarily on the back of the sheer lack of answers to the deck.

And now they're going to ban loving Lay of the Land. If you were looking at a graph that traced power of banned cards relative to their answers the problem here wouldn't be that cards were too powerful for the answers available like they were long ago, it's that the answers are just loving pitiful relative to these mediocre cards that are warping entire formats.

The fact that they felt that Reflector Mage needed a ban should've been a canary in the coal mine for the direction the game is going in.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 6, 2018

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Kurtofan posted:

It's been a while since I've played magic, can someone explain to me what's the big deal with energy and why it's such a problem?

They added a new resource to the game you have to build around to use, and which can generate card, board, and mana advantage. Then they put a ton of it on some cards basically for free and didn't give us any ways to interact with it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I don't think they should ban anything. Let standard die so more people play modern and legacy.

At that point newer players probably just won't play Magic at all and they'll move onto other, cheaper games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Kurtofan posted:

Energy plays a bunch of cards which all contribute to a single resource pool (Energy), which can't be interacted with in any way outside of an unplayable 3 mana enchantment. Unlike similar mechanics, Energy is not taxed in any way for being on the card - leading to opening sequences like:

Turn 1: Attune with Aether (2 Energy)
Turn 2: Aether Hub, Longtusk Cub (3 Energy)
Turn 3: Rogue Refiner (5 Energy), attack with a Longtusk Cub representing as a 4/4, gain 2 energy when it connects (7).