Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What is the kill cam mod people like to go with? I don’t like removing them completely, but forcing them to only be from the perspective you’re playing from is nice.

Also is there a mod that gives me a menu of sorts to edit run speed and jump height, sprint cost etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Haven't played Skyrim in a while, tried to start Skyrim SE only to get a crash to desktop immediately. There's been an update since last run. Old Skyrim runs fine.

Not really a mod problem, since I can't get it to start from a blank install from Steam.

Here's what I did :
Delete entire SkyrimSE folder and reinstall.
Run as admin
Make sure SkyrimSE.exe runs on the NVidia card.
Disable Steam overlay.

When I start, I get the launcher, when I click Start the screen flashes black and then nothing. No error message or anything.

Only thing that changed since I last ran was the automatically installed update.

How do I even start troubleshooting this :saddowns:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Bob NewSCART posted:

What is the kill cam mod people like to go with? I don’t like removing them completely, but forcing them to only be from the perspective you’re playing from is nice.

Also is there a mod that gives me a menu of sorts to edit run speed and jump height, sprint cost etc?

On oldrim, there was Skytweak, but I don't know if anything equivalent has been made for SE, or if it's been ported. :randno:

Also Randaconda I want your old avatar back.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Agents are GO! posted:

On oldrim, there was Skytweak, but I don't know if anything equivalent has been made for SE, or if it's been ported. :randno:

Hell, same.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Agents are GO! posted:

If I knew how I would port the thing myself. Unfortunately I assume/have the feeling that it would require a decent amount of technical knowledge with regards to modding

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Bob NewSCART posted:

VioLens is what you want.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Agents are GO! posted:

GunnerJ: I'll see about doing some work on an "Getting Started with SE" post this weekend (Sunday-Monday.) Any luck finding those pastebins? If all else fails, just go "Edit Post" on the OP and then C+P to a txt file.

Oh, I edited that into my post before, sorry!

Page 1: https://pastebin.com/ATuaAMyp
Page 2: https://pastebin.com/ac6TujQA
Page 3: https://pastebin.com/dVYNWDhj

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I've got my SE game looking pretty amazing but I still have issues with things in the distance flickering (trees and buildings etc.) and issues with lights "popping" on and off as I get near them, which I especially hate. Are issues like that usually related to LOD? I have ELFX and I think some LOD mods but I don't really know where to start with fixing.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Check under graphics-Draw distances. There should especially be one for lights.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

SPERG along with Apocalypse spells has made this game so much more fun. I'm actually really enjoying the combat now as I have a lot of options to work with. Pickpocket is basically the unarmed combat skill now so I can do real damage with my bare fists and see those sweet killcams.

This would explain why my pickpocketing went up while I was in Werewolf form wouldn't it?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Randaconda posted:

Hell, same.

Heck yeah! Randaconda don't want none unless that Jags bummed son!

Nasgate posted:

This would explain why my pickpocketing went up while I was in Werewolf form wouldn't it?

This happened to me with Hunterborn.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Someone remind me; was there ever a plausible explanation of who the "old man" is that Kidnap McMurderman talks about when he comes to kidnap Shaun? Isn't Shaun the goddamn "old man" in our big reveal, so he couldn't have existed yet? This has bothered me for a long time.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Agents are GO! posted:

Check under graphics-Draw distances. There should especially be one for lights.

hmm I don't see one specifically for lights but I increased the others to max.

I shifted the load order of the LOD mods which seemed to fix the flickering, but I still get light issues. Actually the main thing I just noticed is smoke on lanterns etc. suddenly popping in only when I'm really close. It's really obvious and distracting.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Rhjamiz posted:

Someone remind me; was there ever a plausible explanation of who the "old man" is that Kidnap McMurderman talks about when he comes to kidnap Shaun? Isn't Shaun the goddamn "old man" in our big reveal, so he couldn't have existed yet? This has bothered me for a long time.

Wrong thread, but the big reveal is a sham: The kid Kidnap McMurderman is caring for isn't shaun, its a synth, the same one Father has in a sealed room when you enter the institute. McMurderman is really old, kept alive by institute science.

fuf posted:

I shifted the load order of the LOD mods which seemed to fix the flickering, but I still get light issues. Actually the main thing I just noticed is smoke on lanterns etc. suddenly popping in only when I'm really close. It's really obvious and distracting.

Try those options at the bottom.

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 6, 2018

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

Wrong thread, but the big reveal is a sham: The kid Kidnap McMurderman is caring for isn't shaun, its a synth, the same one Father has in a sealed room when you enter the institute. McMurderman is really old, kept alive by institute science.

Whoops. But yeah, that's my point? When Shaun is first kidnapped, McMurder refers to the old man. But there can't be an old man yet unless your baby from the 50s is a synth, somehow, or if they kidnapped him 60 years prior, replaced your baby with a synth, and then came back to kidnap the fake baby and murder your spouse, for some reason.

Edit; now I doubt my memory but I was sure that he said "old man" during his memory of kidnapping Shaun

Rhjamiz fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jan 6, 2018

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Presumably he was the previous director, they didn't put that much thought into it

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Rhjamiz posted:

Whoops. But yeah, that's my point? When Shaun is first kidnapped, McMurder refers to the old man. But there can't be an old man yet unless your baby from the 50s is a synth, somehow, or if they kidnapped him 60 years prior, replaced your baby with a synth, and then came back to kidnap the fake baby and murder your spouse, for some reason.
The simplest explanation/handwave is that he's referring to whoever was director of the institute at the time.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Heck yeah! Randaconda don't want none unless that Jags bummed son!

This happened to me with Hunterborn.

Hmmm, I don't have Hunterborn... I do have Werewolf Perks expanded, so maybe something that does triggers it. Either way it doesn't really level it at a quick pace so it's nbd. Just weird mauling a dude and seeing "Pickpocket increased" pop up. Like I guess yeah in a really broad usage I'm picking his pocket? Apart.

Also Oncatos(?) recital from Apocalypse activates while in Wereform. This gives me Armor, Muffle, and swim speed. All of which are hilarious. Maybe once I find a cloak spell I can be a Flaming Werewolf.

Nasgate fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 6, 2018

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

If you play SE, can you post your lighting / climate mods (and their settings, if non-default)? My current attempt is giving some wonky results so I figure I'd be better off starting from some 'known playable' configurations.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

fuf posted:

ELFX causes the smoke to be illuminated when you are close and it loses its illumination when you move farther away which causes that smoke popping. I noticed this myself yesterday and haven't looked at if there is a fix or not. It's too bad because I like ELFX for interiors but the smoke pop is too distracting.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

What hardware do you need to run the game at 1080p/60+ fps with all that stuff maxed out? Just baseline, no mods.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ofecks posted:

What hardware do you need to run the game at 1080p/60+ fps with all that stuff maxed out? Just baseline, no mods.
Nothing super fancy by today's standards. Neither Oldrim or SkyrimSE are monsters that suck the life out of your GPU. My system is i5 6400, 16GB Ram & AMD R9 380 4GB and it runs SkyrimSE vanilla on max settings very comfortably. I'm pretty sure a machine that's just the recommended specs will handle it.

Bethesda's recommended specs posted:

Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit Version)
Intel i5-2400/AMD FX-8320
8GB RAM
12 GB free HDD space
Nvidia GTX 780 3GB /AMD R9 290 4GB

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a SE mod that makes zombie minions shut up?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Yes actually, and Im almost certain it's in the OP. It was when I handed my early version to gunnerJ! :)

Edit: Yep, here it is. Works on SE as well. (I have personally confirmed this.)

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
mod organizer is a pain in the rear end and i hate it :mad:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Its got a learning curve, but it's worth it. At least for Oldrim.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Raygereio posted:

Nothing super fancy by today's standards. Neither Oldrim or SkyrimSE are monsters that suck the life out of your GPU. My system is i5 6400, 16GB Ram & AMD R9 380 4GB and it runs SkyrimSE vanilla on max settings very comfortably. I'm pretty sure a machine that's just the recommended specs will handle it.

Can you expand on "very comfortably"? What kind of FPS are you getting? What is comfortable for you may not be comfortable for me.

I'm half-guessing but I imagine the PC game recommended specs are typically for medium settings, so that bar is a little low. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Legs Benedict posted:

mod organizer is a pain in the rear end and i hate it :mad:

Agents are GO! posted:

Its got a learning curve, but it's worth it. At least for Oldrim.

both of these are true

MO is literally the only solution for how I mod skyrim so it's no contest and no question, worth using 100%. But it's also a pain in my rear end sometimes.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Are there any mods that add spears and have animations that don't have you swinging the spear around like a dingus? I love spears.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

What's the go to for weather/lighting? I'm leaning towards ELFX, but my computer isn't massively beastly(i'm running the SMIM-lite edition) so i don't know if that's the best choice versus something like realistic lighting overhaul? Also, what's the recommended texture replacing mod(if there is one)?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Obsidian is the go-to weather mod now I think. Even has seasonal and regional weather patterns

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Lunethex posted:

Am I doing Skyrim correctly

This is ELFX and True Storms. Part of me still wants to give Vivid Weathers a quick shot but I always feel like a huge twit when I installed climate mods in the past and the nights and darks became impossible to work with or enjoy. Wandering around Riften at any time of day is really nice with the fog and light depending on time of day.

I also have two very important questions. 1. Can anyone recommend another mod like this for Nebula/Galaxy/Stars? Just curious if there's any alternatives. I love looking up and just breathing in the sky.

2. Is Open Cities recommended or should it be avoided? I have it on currently just to see what it's like and all the extra stuff is an FPS hit here and there depending on where one looks but it's like 5-8 and I'm more concerned about future modding being jeopardized by it or it making the game break itself. You give a Bethesda game enough reason it will crash or break after all.

e: 3. I was also considering Morrowloot for a gameplay overhaul - making enemies harder, changing leveled lists - but once again I'm not entirely sure so if there's a goon to ask let me know what decent options I have to make things more interesting on that end.

Which ELFX .esps are you using? I'm trying to get ELFX running with obsidian as the above poster recommended and I'm just trying to figure which of each I should be using

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
For ELFX just use the base option. Don’t install the weather portion or the enhancer. I use Relighting Skyrim for outside lighting and ELFX for interiors. You can use the enhancer if you want but I think that is the part that uses scripts and can have compatibility issues with other mods.

I’ve been using Morrowloot Ultimate (makes everything have static levels and distributes loot better), Smilodon (adjusts damage multipliers, stamina use, a few other things), and Mortal Enemies (makes npcs able to miss, adjusts npc turn speed, npc hit range) (this is all on SSE) and at lower levels the difficulty seems pretty ok. Stuff dies faster but can kill you faster. I did tweak down the stamina costs for actions though using the config options. No idea if this will hold up as I get higher level but it’s pretty easy to change the multipliers if things start becoming hp sponges or if I start getting one shot too much. I’ve been considering a mod that gives enemy types weaknesses and resistances but I’m not sure I want to deal with that yet.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

funkymonks posted:

For ELFX just use the base option. Don’t install the weather portion or the enhancer. I use Relighting Skyrim for outside lighting and ELFX for interiors. You can use the enhancer if you want but I think that is the part that uses scripts and can have compatibility issues with other mods.

yeah, definitely just do ELFX interiors only if you use it at all

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

And you guys are liking obsidian weathers over vivid weathers? Those are the two i'm deciding between right now, it sounds like vivid weathers adds "more" stuff but i don't know if that's really better.

Bob NewSCART fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Jan 8, 2018

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The one thing MOI needs more than anything is the ability to sort mods by installation because if you ever install lets say five mods and then fixed the load order and the game crashes trying to find all five can sometimes be needlessly tedious. I recently had that with for some reason a mod called Insignificant Objects causing a CTD on startup because it doesn't play well with bashed patches.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Ofecks posted:

Can you expand on "very comfortably"? What kind of FPS are you getting? What is comfortable for you may not be comfortable for me.
I'm half-guessing but I imagine the PC game recommended specs are typically for medium settings, so that bar is a little low. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
With "comfortably" I mean consistent high fps with no noticeable slowdowns. Skyrim I keep capped at 60 fps.
At higher fps the game's physics can go wonky, there are .ini tweaks you can use to get fix that. But while my hardware can easily get way higher fps then 60 (120+), I prefer to keep it capped there. That way I'm sure the framerate stays consistent and never get any slowdowns. Also the scripting engine is tied to framerate, and I have a lot of scripts running on my mod setup.

I mentioned before that neither of the Skyrim games are graphical monsters and I wasn't joking about that. I could run vanilla Oldrim at a mix of low/medium settings on an HD3800 card. The slowdowns I got on that ancient machine were caused by the CPU & system RAM bottlenecking things.
You really don't need modern, high-end desktop hardware to run SkyrimSE at max settings. If you grab the recommended specs and go a good bit higher, you're still looking at hardware from 2015.

If you're worried about whether your hardware can run SkyrimSE, post what you have and someone here probably can give you a thumbs up or down. Be aware though that when you start using graphical mods such as ENBs, higher-res textures, etc, the requirements to get a good framerate will obviously go up.

Lid posted:

The one thing MOI needs more than anything is the ability to sort mods by installation
I'm not quite sure what you mean, but you can sort the order of the installed mods in MO. That's actually one of the main features that makes it better then other mod managers.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 8, 2018

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Edit: Not sure how I double-posted, but I did.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 8, 2018

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Raygereio posted:

With "comfortably" I mean consistent high fps with no noticeable slowdowns. Skyrim I keep capped at 60 fps.
At higher fps the game's physics can go wonky, there are .ini tweaks you can use to get fix that. But while my hardware can easily get way higher fps then 60, I prefer to keep it capped there. That way I'm sure to keep the framerate consistent and never get any slowdowns.
Also the scripting engine is tied to framerate, and I have a lot of scripts running on my mod setup.

I mentioned before that neither of the Skyrim games are graphical monsters and I wasn't joking about that. I could run vanilla Oldrim at a mix of low/medium settings on an HD3800 card. The slowdowns I got on that ancient machine were caused by the CPU & system RAM bottlenecking things.
You really don't need modern, high-end desktop hardware to run SkyrimSE at max settings. If you grab the recommended specs and go good bit higher, you're still looking at hardware from 2015.

If you're worried about whether your hardware can run SkyrimSE, post what you have and someone here probably can give you a thumbs up or down. Be aware though that when you start using graphical mods such as ENBs, higher-res textures, etc, the requirements to get a good framerate will obviously go up.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but you can sort the order of the installed mods in MO. That's actually one of the main features that makes it better then other mod managers.

I mean date of installation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Bob NewSCART posted:

And you guys are liking obsidian weathers over vivid weathers? Those are the two i'm deciding between right now, it sounds like vivid weathers adds "more" stuff but i don't know if that's really better.

Bob NewSCART posted:

To add onto this actually, I’m doing some testing once I’m done going through and cleaning the DLCs with tes5edit to see if I can only have the tweaks to leveling and stuff that SPERG offers, while using the perk trees from ordinator. It just depends if I can disable the SPERG trees in its options or not. Anyone know if this is possible? Also are still people making bash patches?