Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SantaJesus
Sep 29, 2008
*edit* dang too slow

SantaJesus has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Jan 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Fun fact, the guy with Indiana Jones is played by Alfred Molina

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzIzpmavnBM

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Gotta go autistic on this one:

It's a 2-man vaudeville sketch with loads of pauses, miniature scenes, and lines that can be recontextualized in a variety of fashions-- surreal, hyper-literal, non-sequitor. You can insert other memes into it, or any one part of it into another meme. There are multiple notes for jokes-- the concept of steamed hams and various cons pulled around them, Aurora Borealis (itself a three-note joke from absurdist comment, to Chalmer's incredulity, to the "may I see it"/"no" cap), the regional dialect exchange, Agnes' screams and Skinner's reassurance at the end--which allows for heavy versatility for short or long-form remixes. Other memetic exchanges in the Simpsons don't reach that level. The Dud goes pretty far, Hibbert is an easy insert, and personally I think the Frogurt Shopkeep has way more potential than is being used for, but none have proven to really "go the distance" yet.

Is this a new meme: Žižek analyses the Simpsons?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

please no

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Awww

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.

*pop*... noice.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
Beaten!

MageMage has a new favorite as of 11:05 on Jan 6, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

How is this a meme?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wanna meet those dads

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

How is this a meme?

Dads are a meme.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
mmmmmmmmod name change to "hand jibber gibber" tia

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Think about how many Dads they had to turn away

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://i.imgur.com/9QunoIT.gifv

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

History is dumb. Simpsons memes are not.

https://youtu.be/XvZtmSmbvzw

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

They kept the original intonation :neckbeard:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

With any other president, it would have been easy to figure out this was a joke, and a very good one. You could make this about GWB and you would go "Haha that's a great joke about how dumb he is!"

But with Trump it's so impossible to tell what's real because you can absolutely imagine him doing this.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Always via the meme thread. Rip pupper :(

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
much sad
such rip

NuminaXLT
Nov 11, 2002
Ok, so who actually died? That's how this works... right?
:(

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

NuminaXLT posted:

Grumpycat

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Clicking that takes you to the imgur page which says it's fake in the description.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

NuminaXLT posted:

Piper the airport working dog that cleared runways of birds
RIP to the goodest doggo

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Who the gently caress is Michael Rosen? Does he just read words for the internet to make into YouTube Poops?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/949386914284670977

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

See, this one is more believable because he emasculated his sons.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I'm the shin whacking

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
https://twitter.com/AwrySquare/status/949686776309927937

If this hasn't been done before, I'm surprised it took this long.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Pastry of the Year posted:

And (to continue slicing up Steamed Hams [mm, steamed clams]), one thing that makes the sketch fantastic is that Skinner is wound up so tightly, and no less, wound up tightly about appearing foolish, that he ends up becoming a clown. Here's a guy that uses phrases like "unforgettable luncheon" and "ye gods," and answers the door - presumably on a day off! - not only wearing what he feels is his work uniform but with a lace-frilled pink apron over it. He's fastidiously fussy, not about his appearance per se but about how Chalmers will perceive him.

And, as was pointed out upthread, Chalmers believes every single word of his lies, but I'll go against forums user organburner and say that Chalmers, in spite of all available evidence, actually [b]believes[/i] Skinner, because Skinner has lied his way out of so many absolutely outlandish situations (as depicted in the little "title single" montage, in which we see, among other things, multiple children being digested by some sort of snake). Organburner was right in that Chalmers has had some sort of breakdown in which he believes, e.g., the kitchen fire could possibly be the Northern Lights, but that happened way before this unforgettable luncheon. Chalmers has long ago come to a place where Skinner's "crazy explanations" (as the song has it) have anything but the ring of truth, because so many bizarre things have been explicated by them.

He's still canny enough to ask questions, but he's happy to accept answers. And why not? Chalmers lives in an insane world. Why shouldn't a burning roast and steaming clams, on this occasion, smell more or less exactly alike, which is also to say exactly like hamburgers and french fries?

And what exactly does Skinner think he has to lose by lying? Who hasn't hosed up in the kitchen? But Skinner is so stuffy, so fussy, so intent on presenting a certain image, that he's willing to let his house burn down while he sips purple drank - at least, for a moment.

Neither one of these two want to lose face by accepting the obvious, and that's one of the most human things there is.

What the gently caress is a title single

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pastry of the Year posted:

I'm not joking when I say I would actually love to hear more about how this scene was localized into other languages.

The French dub is surprisingly true to the English script. They use "saumon vapeur" (steamed salmon) which rhymes pretty well with "jambon vapeur" (steamed ham).

Here's a fairly literal translation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ioMCuR5bo

"Well, here I am, Seymour. I found it despite your directions."
"Ah, welcome, Mr. Inspector! Are you ready to savor a memorable lunch?"
(kitchen)
"Oh, Lord! My roast is screwed*. But if I -- could pass fast-food for real home cooking...ha ha ha ha! Deliciously diabolical, Seymour!"
(door opens)
"What is --"
(theme song in English)
"Ah, Mr. Inspector, himself! I'm pulling my calves on the windowsill, a stretching exercise. Does it tempt you?"
"Is it normal, that smoke that's coming out of your oven?"
"Ah, that's not smoke, it's steam! Steam that's coming from my steamed salmon. Mm-mm, steamed salmon."
(bringing in the hamburgers)
"Are you ready to taste my delicious hamburgers?"
"But I thought we were going to eat steamed salmon."
"No, no! I said steamed HAM! That's what I call hamburgers."
"You say <<steamed ham>> for hamburgers."
"Yes, it's a regional dialect."
"Ah-ha-ha-ha. From what region?"
"Mmmfrom the north of the state of New York."
"Really. I come from Utica and I've never heard anyone employ the expression <<steamed ham>>"
"Ah, well, not Utica. It comes from the region of Albany."
"I see."
(eating)
"I think that these hamburgers resemble those from Krustyburger."
"Oh-ho-ho-ho, no! They're authentic Skinnerburgers! It's an old family recipe."
"For...steamed ham."
"Yes."
"And you call this <<steamed ham>> but it's evident that this is grilled meat."
"Eum...ah...you know...there's a thing that...excuse me for an instant."
"Go ahead."
(kitchen is on fire)
"Ahhhh! It was formidable, we had a good moment, I'm completely spent**."
"Yes, I'll be going -- bloody hell***, what is happening inside there??"
"An aurora borealis."
"Ah -- an aurora borealis! At this time of the year, at this hour of the day, in this region of the country, and localized exclusively inside your kitchen??"
"Yyyes."
"...could I see it?"
"Nnno."
(outside)
"Seymour! The house is aflame!"
"No, mother! It's the magic of the great north!"
"Well, Seymour, you are a curious fellow. But I acknowledge that you make a good steamed ham."
(walks away)
"Help! Help!"

Pretty good overall. Redubbing it with the English translation of the French dub I think would be a pretty spicy one

* the actual word here is "fichu," which could mean damned, lost, rotten, etc

** flapie -- drained, weary, exhausted

*** "bon sang", literally "good blood"

Sagebrush has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Jan 6, 2018

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

So are you Obiwan or Anakin