Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Is the SMN level 50 rotation really as simple as it looks? Just keep your DOTs up, blast people with Ruin II, and use Fester, Bane, Rouse, Shadow Flare, and Enkindle when you have ‘em? Every time I get synced backwards when doing a Roulette, I feel like I’m missing something, especially compared to the manic finger-dance that is MCH level 35.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

Obligatory Denmo video for fat choco discussions.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CJugrJsYKl4

https://youtu.be/Yrum2OL9QpA

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
This showed up in my YouTube recommendations, and I have no idea what the gently caress, but I must share it with you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pIRo_ZAzls

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Darth Walrus posted:

Is the SMN level 50 rotation really as simple as it looks? Just keep your DOTs up, blast people with Ruin II, and use Fester, Bane, Rouse, Shadow Flare, and Enkindle when you have ‘em? Every time I get synced backwards when doing a Roulette, I feel like I’m missing something, especially compared to the manic finger-dance that is MCH level 35.

SMN is kind of stripped down at 50, especially with 4.0's removing of extraneous skills. You want to Enkindle while your pet is Roused, and if you're using Garuda-egi, try to Contagion before dropping Festers on the target.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If you rolled duskwight, you only need to say it once.

Or the miqo equivalent

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

SMN is kind of stripped down at 50, especially with 4.0's removing of extraneous skills. You want to Enkindle while your pet is Roused, and if you're using Garuda-egi, try to Contagion before dropping Festers on the target.

Yeah, I’d gathered that. TBH, though, I mainly use Ifrit - Garuda is only for when I know that an enemy can only be engaged at range.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

EDIT: I don't know why, but the link doesn't work for me.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 6, 2018

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
So i just did the 3.5 dungeon for the first time, and man i'm lost in the story.

Who is Ilberd again?

e: and while i'm at it, who is Laurentius

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Remember Crystal Braves in 2.*? You can re-watch cutscenes in an inn.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The name sounded vaguely familiar, but the inn holds literal hours of cutscenes for me at this point, and i wasn't sure where to start. Thanks.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

HenryEx posted:

The name sounded vaguely familiar, but the inn holds literal hours of cutscenes for me at this point, and i wasn't sure where to start. Thanks.

he's the ala mhigan that grew up with raubhan and fought with him in the coliseum. He helped form the crystal braves and was their leader. He also cut off Raub's arm.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
If I remember right, Laurentius was a guy that betrayed the Woodwailers in a Shroud quest in the 20s. You caught him and gave him a second chance, then recruited him for the Crystal Braves. Then in an completely unexpected move, he betrayed you at the 2.55 feast.

The other one features prominently in the hour-long cutscene from the end of 2.55. Which was the best at the time, although if you haven't watched it yet, it'll lose some impact being through HW.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I was current with 3.45 when i stopped playing, and now i have to mop up the rest of the 3.x storyline, and i can't remember things in anything but the vaguest outlines.

Was Laurentius the guy who suddenly came back in the storyline at some point, walking up to the WoL all "hey buddy, let's go, it's me, remember?" and the WoL was all "... who?" That was pretty funny.

Speaking of half-forgotten plot threads, didn't Urianger work with the Ascians at some point? Did anything ever come from that pre-4.x that i've just forgotten or is he playing the extremely long game?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HenryEx posted:

I was current with 3.45 when i stopped playing, and now i have to mop up the rest of the 3.x storyline, and i can't remember things in anything but the vaguest outlines.

Was Laurentius the guy who suddenly came back in the storyline at some point, walking up to the WoL all "hey buddy, let's go, it's me, remember?" and the WoL was all "... who?" That was pretty funny.

Speaking of half-forgotten plot threads, didn't Urianger work with the Ascians at some point? Did anything ever come from that pre-4.x that i've just forgotten or is he playing the extremely long game?

The Urianger thing was a big part of the post-Heavensward content. The Warriors of Darkness subplot.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rastan Beeza posted:

Speaking of peace efforts, I hope you please look forward to the peace work of moogle sidequest hell to assist their lazy pom asses, because it's drat kupo nuts how much they expect from you.

Have fun unlocking the Beast Tribe Quests. :shepicide:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I already unlocked the Vath.

They're adorable.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The Vath and Vanu Vanu unlock easily. But the Moogles need you to do a ton of quests (think the Titan feast quests) before you unlock theirs.

HenryEx posted:

The very same. If anyone needs a refresher on who he is, the ARR LP has passed his portion of the story.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The Vanu Vanu are also adorable.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

:yeah:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The payoff for unlocking the moogles though is completely worth it.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tarresson is also great.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The Vath are awesome.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

HenryEx posted:

So i just did the 3.5 dungeon for the first time, and man i'm lost in the story.

Who is Ilberd again?

e: and while i'm at it, who is Laurentius

he's the reason raubahn needs to lend a hand

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

See, if it was just in-fight stuff, I would have linked this video instead, except that there are spoilers aplenty in it. https://youtu.be/NDwcGCGF-ZA

(It's the primal fights video. HELLA SPOILERS through the end of 3.0.)

Denmo's Stop the Time vid could legitimately be used as an official SQEX demo to showcase how goddamn pretty this game can be.

I still think that estinien.mp4 and zenos.mp4 are works of art but again, hella spoilers.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I like all of his Mr. Face videos.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
What are the best DRK materia? In order, ideally.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

STR on rightside, DH on leftside.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Darth Walrus posted:

All tank melds are the same right now (except I think war wants certain SS breakpoints). You put strength in all your accessories. If you're crafted you overmeld DH. Leftside is 100% DH. If you're doing world first progression you might take tenacity, but I haven't ever needed it personally.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so what jobs would you guys like to see when new jobs are added?

Personally, I'm rooting for Blue Mage.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Chucat posted:

I'm going to say this until I'm blue in the face.

Even if you play the job perfectly (like against a dummy), you still get outdpsed by Summoner and do less damage on your own than other classes bring with their raid buffs.

The class needs a damage/stat buff, or something that gives the class more damage.

Give Fire 4 a 2.5s GCD, leave the potency the same. Plus, now you can use Triple/Swift purely for mobility and not have to worry about the small DPS gain you can get out of it.

(I have no clue if this works out numbers-wise, so they may need to tweak the potency.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TFRazorsaw posted:

Chemist as a healer is my big desire.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TFRazorsaw posted:

I want Dancer for next healer.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Blue Mage for tank so we can have a BLU/WHM/RDM/BLM light party composition.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
DNC healer and BLU tank would be real kickass additions.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

TFRazorsaw posted:

Mime.

Alternatively, Gadgeteer/Tinkerer.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Choyi posted:

That’s what I’m hoping for/betting on.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Chocobo Knight for a tank. Fluidly go from fighting alongside your chocobo to mounted combat

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

me and my crew got our first 50s last night!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Chemist as a healer is my big desire.

A non-magic based healer would be cool, yeah. BLU would be satisfying so you could have a patriotic Red white and blue mage party.

What I want is gambler though, with dice as a weapon. I like dice, lemme roll bones

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Choyi posted:

This, especially because it would seal us going to Thavnair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I want something that finally breaks up the dps god comp, so I'd like to see a dancer as a melee dps/support along the lines of bard, which might bring monk back into the fray.

Chemist as a healer would be cool.

No real opinions on tanks.