Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
my Chiss is very well spoken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Small thing, but it's kind of funny how the automatic name generator on character creation gives you names that are already taken or are invalid.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Small thing, but it's kind of funny how the automatic name generator on character creation gives you names that are already taken or are invalid.

I wondered about that...

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

That's because it's not really possible (or at least easy, or worth the devs' time) to make a truly randomized name generator that still makes sense phonetically. It's always going to be based on a dictionary file of syllables or phonemes, and it's only going to seem as random as you can make that file expansive. I've managed to get the same exact names over after trying long enough, so it's possible it's as simple as a big list of silly premade names.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Why are you using the random name generator anyway don't you know you should be Darth Blùnticùfourtwenty

nonentity
Dec 19, 2005

If I were small & bird shaped, I could fly.

Medullah posted:

Why are you using the random name generator anyway don't you know you should be Darth Blùnticùfourtwenty

Your Companion is the best name.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

nonentity posted:

Your Companion is the best name.

There's a guild on Star Forge called <Your Companion> and I fall for it way too often.

When are we going to see our Porg mount?

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Medullah posted:

There's a guild on Star Forge called <Your Companion> and I fall for it way too often.

When are we going to see our Porg mount?

I was in the <Your Companion> guild in beta, and I would jump in and help other players as often as I could just to gently caress with them. I heard our guild got reported as a bug many, many times.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I was in the <Your Companion> guild in beta, and I would jump in and help other players as often as I could just to gently caress with them. I heard our guild got reported as a bug many, many times.

Hahaha that's amazing. Just /follow someone. All that's missing is a quest marker flair to go above your head for when you want to talk.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

At one point I accidentally made one of my characters look exactly like Malavai Quinn (I have a type shut up) so I'd just follow Sith Warriors around to confuse them

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Are there any outfits that make you look like Magneto? I just had a great idea for a sage costume

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

nonentity posted:

You're Companion is the best name.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Maybe a stupid question, but are any of the Jedi questlines, well, not Jedi questlines? I would like to play as a Jedi but I hate how they try and force you to play as a Proper Jedi, aka all bullshit stoicism. Is there a good way to say "gently caress that" but still get a lightsaber?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Maybe a stupid question, but are any of the Jedi questlines, well, not Jedi questlines? I would like to play as a Jedi but I hate how they try and force you to play as a Proper Jedi, aka all bullshit stoicism. Is there a good way to say "gently caress that" but still get a lightsaber?

LS Warrior pretty much.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Chickenwalker posted:

LS Warrior pretty much.

Right on, I gave it a shot and it's not bad so far. I tried rolling a sage before and it was a bit more...eh.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Right on, I gave it a shot and it's not bad so far. I tried rolling a sage before and it was a bit more...eh.

Each class has a certain kind of story to tell in general. For your Jedi folks:

Jedi Knight is very traditional Star Wars heroic Jedi fantasy - it's very much in the mold of Luke Skywalker and Rey, you are the born hero destined to save the galaxy (even if you're kind of an rear end in a top hat about it).

Consular takes more after Yoda and Obi-Wan, it's a much more sedate story about playing a scholar, diplomat, and mystic, low-key compared to other classes. One of my personal favorites, including one of my favorite companion relationships in the game, but decidedly not for everyone.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Jedi Consular is a warlord gathering up armies from across the galaxy, and then hunting down the shadowy villain who tried to stop that from happening.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
As Jedi consular you can constantly be an elitist dick to people and it's pretty entertaining.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I get enough of that in real life. I play games to escape.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Well holy poo poo, Dread Palace was today's Op and I finally completed it with the quest on the right stage and cleared it out of my log. So ends my multi-year goal to finish the Dreadmasters storyline. My PUG group was actually decent too, despite the fact that people would inexplicably leave after we 1 shot every boss. Took 2 hours for 3 bosses because people just cycled through.

On a side note, I wish they dumbed down the ops even more in story mode. There is still far too much coordination involved for having to deal with random PUGS who are probably bad and have no idea what's going on. I think they should make it so brain-dead easy in SM that you can just click to win and are pretty much guaranteed to clear every Op in like 1 hour. I'd like to see them all for the story and quests, but it's way too loving painful having to set aside 2-3 hours just for a chance of maybe clearing it if everyone doesn't quit.

Or poo poo, just go balls out and make a solo mode - no gear drops/no or very-low CXP and just let us complete quests and see the story. At this point, who gives a gently caress?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Story Mode raids are already dumbed down to an insane level. I guess I wouldn't be opposed to a no loot story version, but as it stands they're already so much simpler than the Veteran/Master Mode versions.

Of course I'm also the guy that wants Veteran Mode EV and KP to not drop the same level of gear as other actually difficult Veteran Mode raids.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

It is pretty dumbed down, but it doesn't meet the threshold of "Can I be sure to get this done if I PUG it in ~1hr?" like WoW or even ESO. Every time I queue for pugs there's wiping, people quitting, and it's never taken less than 2 hours. There isn't even a guarantee you'll be able to finish it - I've had plenty of groups fall apart after an hour and a few bosses.

Make the other difficulties as challenging/rewarding as you want, but "Story Mode" doesn't let truly casual players run through stuff just to get the story.

Edit: Or maybe just put in a defeat buff - every time you wipe your group gets a stacking 10% dmg/healing/mitigation buff. That way there's still some challenge preserved, but eventually you know you'll be able to finish the content.

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 7, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

When you say pug, are you actually queuing for it and getting a pop that way? Because that never works, you're always in a much better spot getting in a performed group on the fleet that then queues.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I queue up and hang out on fleet looking for groups that are forming. I still consider most of those pure PUGS - if you're lucky maybe you'll get some guildies or a few people that know the fights/mechanics.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Most of the SM ops are easily done as long as a couple people know the mechanics, and you've got a good healer and/or tank. EC, ToS and Ravagers all have some challenges still, but everything else is fairly simple. Hell, Dread Palace they removed a good 70% of the mechanics from the operation.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Hakarne posted:

Make the other difficulties as challenging/rewarding as you want, but "Story Mode" doesn't let truly casual players run through stuff just to get the story.

They already made the story modes dirt simple. Problem is, pugs got worse to compensate. It's a race to the bottom, and there is no floor on pubbie competence.

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

So I logged in for the first time in like 6 months, and they have hella things for direct sale in the cartel market now (as opposed to from crates). Is this a holiday sale, or did they permanently expand the direct buy offerings?

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Westy543 posted:

So I logged in for the first time in like 6 months, and they have hella things for direct sale in the cartel market now (as opposed to from crates). Is this a holiday sale, or did they permanently expand the direct buy offerings?

They're slowly expanding it by rotating in the things they see selling for the most on the GCN for limited time periods because $$$. Stuff like Senya's Pike which went for a hundred mil plus when it first came out has been on there.

They also have made handfuls of new armors and things that have gone direct sale and are pretty cool (Jedi Survivalist is pretty bitchin' I think).

In all yeah there's way more stuff because it makes them money and there's no limit on warehouse space for pretty princess dress-up, they just create artificial supply shortage as needed to drive up demand.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

I would absolutely be in favor of story mode ops being dumbed way, way down. Honestly the only times I've really enjoyed ops were back in the day before everything got level-scaled, and I got to finally blow through all the level 50 content with a couple of buddies when we were level 60. This is because the challenge does not interest me, and the mechanics largely do not interest me. Generally speaking, I approach video game mechanics the way Indiana Jones approaches a sword fight.

I play RPG's for the story, and most other aspects can gently caress off at this point. I'm glad that hard modes are there for people who appreciate that poo poo, but I really don't. And I really feel like "story mode" is a misnomer. For those of us who literally only want to play it for the story, it's like a bad joke. From my perspective, if you can't outright ignore most of the mechanics, it's not really "story mode." If it's even technically possible to gently caress up a "story mode" run, I feel like they're doing it wrong.

I feel like the difficulty level on solo mode flashpoints is a pretty good benchmark. It's basically "the bad guys don't die unless you hit them." Perfect!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Any content that requires real communication and coordination should never be subjected to a random queue finder

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Ainsley McTree posted:

Any content that requires real communication and coordination should never be subjected to a random queue finder

and yet i've found multiple girlfriends this way

swipe right

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Nerd Of Prey posted:

I would absolutely be in favor of story mode ops being dumbed way, way down. Honestly the only times I've really enjoyed ops were back in the day before everything got level-scaled, and I got to finally blow through all the level 50 content with a couple of buddies when we were level 60. This is because the challenge does not interest me, and the mechanics largely do not interest me. Generally speaking, I approach video game mechanics the way Indiana Jones approaches a sword fight.

I play RPG's for the story, and most other aspects can gently caress off at this point. I'm glad that hard modes are there for people who appreciate that poo poo, but I really don't. And I really feel like "story mode" is a misnomer. For those of us who literally only want to play it for the story, it's like a bad joke. From my perspective, if you can't outright ignore most of the mechanics, it's not really "story mode." If it's even technically possible to gently caress up a "story mode" run, I feel like they're doing it wrong.

I feel like the difficulty level on solo mode flashpoints is a pretty good benchmark. It's basically "the bad guys don't die unless you hit them." Perfect!

Ainsley McTree posted:

This exactly. The SM Ops still require communication and knowledge of fights to succeed, which is unfortunately too much for the lowest common denominator you're grouped with through random queues. The hardest a mechanic should be for that is "don't stand in a bright, painfully obvious bad spot" and even that may be pushing it. And absolutely no 1 hit KO or auto-wipe mechanics.

I get it, I used to do progression raiding in WoW and that can be cool in its own way. However, I just don't have time for that poo poo anymore and "Story Mode" is definitely a misnomer - there's no guarantee your group will be able to finish it and see the story.

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah. I could point out, as it relates to my argument here: I have done real raiding before and I wasn't that bad at it. I've been in serious progression groups with scheduled raid times and stuff, I was mostly on my Juggernaut tank, we had a good group and we rocked it. That scene definitely has its own appeal, but it is ultimately not as fun for me as a leisurely run though where I get to take in the scenery and enjoy the story, and not have to stress about aggro swapping at the perfect moment.

Turbl
Nov 8, 2007

Last time I did a story mode operation was when Aivela and Esne came out and Tyth was no problem but we wiped once on the new encounter because I fat fingered my exfiltrate hotkey and rolled off the edge and died. The tank immediately rage quit (the one who got loot off Tyth of course) and it took us like 30 mins to find another one. We killed it right away once we got someone.

I'm not sure if the point of this story is that pugs suck or that I'm real bad because I get defeated by the boss mechanic of "not having a floor there."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The new Ops bosses are a bad example anyway, Nahut is as hard as some Veteran bosses, and definitely not pug friendly.

I still don't think Story Mode operations are challenging. They've already been nerfed so much that they're barely recognizable from the harder versions.

But then again, this is the game that continually simplifies everything because people think it's too complex - same people who made it so I can't stylishly uppercut my opponents with my Merc.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

And don't even get me started on what they did to tracer missile...

Seriously though, what story are you craving? The raids are go in, hit loot pinata, don't stand in fire. Maybe solve a puzzle (lol pugs). You aren't missing any story other than yes, the Dread Guard get killed off in the end [/spoiler?]. At least until the weekly refreshes.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

*breaks down in cold sweat imaging pugs handling the mechanics of the final TfB boss*

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

(yes I know its not that hard but it requires coordination and thinking and situational awareness and lol pugs)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

The Terror is only hard if you have bad DPS and bad healers. Decent DPS mitigate almost any damage they'd take and kill the aberrations quick enough that there isn't too much raid damage, good healers can heal through the damage slow DPS cause. Both bad, that's a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Don't forget bad tanks not switching platforms

A lot of room for bad in the equation