Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

uh, didn't precisely this thing happen last year too?

yep, and after that incident they changed npm so unpublished packages couldn't have their names hijacked by another user

except these packages just fell out of the database entirely so the anti-hijacking system didn't know they ever existed and they got hijacked anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Can you imagine being the kind of person that builds a production system that completely explodes and then gets random malware installed on it every time some node person fat fingers an update, looks at it, and goes "this is a good design. If there's an outage I will angrily tweet at someone about it".

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

you shouldn't be pulling from npm in production

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

lol just lol if you have to work with npm

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

CommunistPancake posted:

or in staging

or in development

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

SO DEMANDING posted:

I've got an older z77 based board and have to use AI suite 2 (as opposed to 3, the current version). I can't launch the program anymore but the background poo poo still functions including fan control. just have no way of changing it anymore lol. and fat loving chance asus will update the older program.

oh, is that why its suddenly and consistently crapping out? not that it ever updated the bios correctly when it worked, but at least everything else was fine. their site barely functioned to check firmware so it feels consistent at least

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mrmcd posted:

Can you imagine being the kind of person that builds a production system that completely explodes and then gets random malware installed on it every time some node person fat fingers an update, looks at it, and goes "this is a good design. If there's an outage I will angrily tweet at someone about it".

its me

im that person

CommunistPancake posted:

no you pull from npm on the build server that then pushes to production which is much better :downs:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tbf i don't think it's a good design and wouldn't touch npm or build poo poo with it with a 10 foot pole if i wasn't being paid big buxx to do it :shrug:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

eschaton posted:

last I checked a few years ago they didn’t, and I think they still don’t

sucks

pretty sure they were still making them a few years ago, but they may have stopped recently

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
speaking of npm

https://hackernoon.com/im-harvesting-credit-card-numbers-and-passwords-from-your-site-here-s-how-9a8cb347c5b5

quote:

Lucky for me, we live in an age where people install npm packages like they’re popping pain killers.

So, npm was to be my distribution method. I would need to come up with some borderline-useful package that people would install without thinking — my Trojan horse.

People love pretty colours — it’s what separates us from dogs — so I wrote a package that lets you log to the console in a any colour.

:allears:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Love this bullsht "this is all fictional" at the end

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
article probably is, but it's definitely happening somewhere in npm right now.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trabisnikof posted:

Love this bullsht "this is all fictional" at the end

and at the beginning

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

erm, so what's stopping someone from doing this in nuget? or any third party library distributed as a dll or whatever other shenanigans for that matter?

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

go play outside Skyler posted:

erm, so what's stopping someone from doing this in nuget? or any third party library distributed as a dll or whatever other shenanigans for that matter?

Nothing except the good sense of non-JS communities to not add uncountably many random dependencies to their code.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you usually don't pull down a dll from the author's website as part of an install

for some reason this is normal practice in production for javascript

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
maybe they’re deleting the repositories because JavaScript is over

after all, everyone has it turned off in their browsers now, right? and nobody in their right mind uses it anywhere else.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

the people in charge of nuget and like every other public-facing repository on the internet learned a very long time ago that you just can't let new packages use the names of existing or deleted packages, but the javascript development ecosystem is full of very dumb people

it's apparently been resolved and here's a terse post about it https://status.npmjs.org/incidents/41zfb8qpvrdj

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 7, 2018

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

motherboards are glorified connector breakout boards these days, as things (memory, disk and bus controllers, graphics, network etc. etc.) have moved into the processor

well, that is overstating things, but as long as you have capacitors that work and the connectors you like on the back there is not that much more to it

lol

just lol

things like pci express and especially dram need very careful pcb layout and decoupling to even work these days

but it's far worse than that. firmware needs all kinds of customization to get everything working together

the more reputable motherboard vendors (i'm thinking of supermicro here, not actually "reputable" but a distinct cut above the gamercrap) will tell you things like exactly which dimms they validated for proper operation in their motherboards. smart people stick to that list because lol relying on auto negotiation and training based on firmware reading the spd eeproms of random dimms is not anywhere near as reliable at generating a 100% stable system as it ought to be

what i'm saying in a roundabout way is that "intel provides all of it" isn't actually a thing. yes intel makes all the controllers but that doesn't mean the job's done. system integration to make a functioning motherboard still takes a ton of work, by somebody who is not intel, often working from guidelines and references supplied by intel, but still not intel

much of the end product of that system integration work is in the bios

so no, you can't just look at the list of ports on a motherboard and say "why yes this should work as well as anything else with the same ports". it doesn't work like that, at all. vendor a can in fact do a much better job at a zillion aspects of making a functioning pcie slot than vendor b, despite the fact that it's the same intel pcie controller both times.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
intel still makes top-to-bottom server platforms (motherboard included) if for some reason you're not buying from some other tier-1 OEM. i don't believe they make workstation boards any more, and they haven't made consumer motherboards for a few years now.

imo, the biggest differences you'll find between most board vendors will be firmware and power component quality.

and trust me, you can gently caress up plenty with just lovely UEFI

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/0xMatt/status/949827175938637825

:vince:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

yeah i just found his blog a few days ago and i love it

my favorite so far is where he wrote the bitcoin hash algorithm for a 1960s ibm mainframe, and it was like 80 seconds per hash.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

https://twitter.com/_MG_/status/949684949614907395

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Elder Postsman posted:

yeah i just found his blog a few days ago and i love it

my favorite so far is where he wrote the bitcoin hash algorithm for a 1960s ibm mainframe, and it was like 80 seconds per hash.

the disappointing thing is that iirc from reading that bitcoin thing he actually takes bitcoin seriously and thinks it is worthwhile

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
npm is venture backed and incorporated for-profit
that's everything you need to know about npm, lol

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

infernal machines posted:

intel still makes top-to-bottom server platforms (motherboard included) if for some reason you're not buying from some other tier-1 OEM. i don't believe they make workstation boards any more, and they haven't made consumer motherboards for a few years now.

istr the intel server platforms are rebranded tyan

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

i dunno what nuget is, but most package manager are centrally controlled and curated and fuckups still sometimes happen

on the other hand, npm is "anyone can publish anything", and there's absolutely nothing stopping you from doing the thing described in there

e: imagine enabling rpmfusion on your production server. that's what npm is, lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/taviso/status/949804775473737728https://twitter.com/taviso/status/949823393989238785

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

apparently the vulnerability is that it spins up an RPC server on localhost and it had an Access-Control-Allow-Origin header of * which means that any website could send rpcs to your wallet

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got a kick out of the oss-security message the other day about a password generator that wasn't very good at its one job:

quote:

Hi folks,

"QtPass" is a separate project entirely from pass. It shares no code
with "pass", the project I maintain. But, "QtPass" does endeavor to be
compatible with pass. However, it is in fact a completely separate
project. Best practice is probably not to stray too far from my nest
to these third-party GUIs, given bugs like this one, CVE-2017-18021, a
way of trivially predicting all passwords ever generated with
"QtPass".

Bug report is here: https://github.com/IJHack/QtPass/issues/338
Fix landed in v1.2.1: https://github.com/IJHack/QtPass/releases/tag/v1.2.1

All passwords generated with "QtPass"'s built-in password generator
are possibly predictable and enumerable by hackers. The generator used
libc's random(), seeded with srand(msecs), where msecs is not the
msecs since 1970 (not that that'd be secure anyway), but rather the
msecs since the last second. This means there are only 1000 different
sequences of generated passwords. Disaster.

If you're using this software, now would be a good time to change all
your passwords and regenerate them using a secure utility such as pass
(what this mailing list is about), or update to the latest version of
this third party "QtPass" software and regenerate from there. All
distributions should update and remove vulnerable versions from their
package trees.

The fix I proposed to the "QtPass" developers involves using Qt 5.10's
built-in CSPRNG wrapper, or /dev/urandom for older Qt versions.

code:
Secondly, and more critically, here is the implementation of Util::rand:

qsrand(static_cast<uint>(QTime::currentTime().msec()));
int Util::rand() {
#ifdef Q_OS_WIN
  quint32 ret = 0;
  if (FAILED(BCryptGenRandom(NULL, (PUCHAR)&ret, sizeof(ret),
                             BCRYPT_USE_SYSTEM_PREFERRED_RNG)))
    return qrand();
  return ret % RAND_MAX;
#else
  return qrand();
#endif
}
Where ".msec()" = 0-999.

Only now when I went to make this post did I discover that the "senior developer" who runs this project arrived at this state after receiving these previous bug reports:
- 2016 bug report: PRNG seeding is done totally wrong
- 2015 bug report: qrand always generating the same sequence of passwords

At a certain point you should just delete the project and pretend it never existed out of shame.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

James Baud posted:

I got a kick out of the oss-security message the other day about a password generator that wasn't very good at its one job:

code:
Secondly, and more critically, here is the implementation of Util::rand:

qsrand(static_cast<uint>(QTime::currentTime().msec()));
int Util::rand() {
#ifdef Q_OS_WIN
  quint32 ret = 0;
  if (FAILED(BCryptGenRandom(NULL, (PUCHAR)&ret, sizeof(ret),
                             BCRYPT_USE_SYSTEM_PREFERRED_RNG)))
    return qrand();
  return ret % RAND_MAX;
#else
  return qrand();
#endif
}
Where ".msec()" = 0-999.

Only now when I went to make this post did I discover that the "senior developer" who runs this project arrived at this state after receiving these previous bug reports:

At a certain point you should just delete the project and pretend it never existed out of shame.

pass itself actually does this "right" (for the unix definition if "right") and defers to the pwgen program iirc, idk how you could copy it and gently caress that up but lol

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

ate all the Oreos posted:

pass itself actually does this "right" (for the unix definition if "right") and defers to the pwgen program iirc, idk how you could copy it and gently caress that up but lol
because it's cross-platform and windows doesn't have pwgen so

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

anthonypants posted:

because it's cross-platform and windows doesn't have pwgen so

cross platform C++ aka a long string of ifdefs

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud posted:

Also Jan 2017 bug report/pull request: Also use win32 crypt api for password generation on windows

Q: "[This] Could also be extended to use other apis on other platforms e.g. /dev/random on linux. Does this sound worthwhile or is it being work on elsewhere?"
A: "Thanks for this update @treat1, I'll look into the /dev/random and other implements later on :)"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://adam-roberts.co.uk/

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

i'm the broken image header

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

infernal machines posted:

who even makes workstation and non-gamercrap consumer Intel-chipset motherboards these days?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eschaton posted:

who even makes workstation and non-gamercrap consumer Intel-chipset motherboards these days?

everyone but no one if you'll be an old conservative over marketing

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
depends on how you define workstation i guess. anything dual-socket will be legit, but there's not much of that. beyond that anything single socket that supports xeons and ecc should count, and gigabyte, asus, et al. have something it's just hard to find unless you go digging for it on their site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

there's a fairly major manufacturer of glass curtain-walls in north america that buys nothing but cad stations built around consumer grade motherboards and the 2fast2furious pcgaming videocard of the day, because it saves nearly 50% per workstation over whatever optiplex model and certified drivers don't mean poo poo in cad and solidworks these days

• Locked thread