Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
Transmogs. There's some overlap between Whimseyshire and Whimseydale, but I think the sword (Spectrum) is a -shire only drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Sword drops from the goblin one. Same with the hamburger. There really isn't a need other than to say you've done it, with the one exception being the character portrait. Everything else, including wings, can be got from the goblin version.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dameius posted:

Sword drops from the goblin one. Same with the hamburger. There really isn't a need other than to say you've done it, with the one exception being the character portrait. Everything else, including wings, can be got from the goblin version.

Yeh goddamn rainbow portrait frame took me forever to get

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does Whimseyshire give you as much gold as Whimseydale does? I doubled my gems, gold, and crafting mats in a single run through whichever one the Goblin opens, so I wouldn't mind doing that again.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Mills posted:

Sunwuko monk back again.

Found a new Vengeful Wind and having trouble deciding between the two.

3084.6 DPS
1551-1895 Damage
10% Damage (this can be re-rolled)
974 Dex
17% AD
+238 Experience

2956.1 DPS
1558-1866
+917 Dex
+6% AS
+23,524 Lph
+14 Max Spirit
(Anything can be re-rolled)

They seem very similar baseline damage to me. One with almost MAX LPH, one with good AD, both with the ability to re-roll one thing (to LPH or AD or CDR). Maybe the first one does slightly more base damage, but it's AD roll isnt perfect, whereas the other one has almost perfect LPH.

Any thoughts?

You alternate hits, or in you case bells with each weapon, so its easy, the second one, reroll %AS to either RCR or CDR, probably cooldown. You need 10% damage on each weapon to effectively get an actual 10% damage bonus which makes it horrible, when things like LPH, RCR and CDR stack to their full effectiveness, not counting diminishing returns built into them.

Worth knowing as its the same for any dual wield class, so Monks Barbs and DH, you almost never want %damage unless you have nothing better to put on or its for a speed build.

If you enjoy pushing rifts you need really high CDR because you will pretty much instantly die outside of Epiphany if engaging anything, so more cooldown means more epiphany, which means more damage because you'll spend your time outside of the cooldown running away or trying to group up enemies. The only way to get 100 percent uptime involves Zodiac ring shenanigans which means you would drop either Unity, which isn't happening, or Convention of Elements, which by itself I think adds like 2-3 rift levels depending on class.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I completed chapter 4 of my first season. It looks like the rewards really taper off after here but I might keep pushing it just because it's fun to play a stupid powerful dude. I can't earn any other sets as chapter rewards on new characters until the next season, right?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I completed chapter 4 of my first season. It looks like the rewards really taper off after here but I might keep pushing it just because it's fun to play a stupid powerful dude. I can't earn any other sets as chapter rewards on new characters until the next season, right?

right

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I keep seeing dudes with like 300 billion attack power on their character sheet. Are they hackers or htf do I do that?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Chapter 4 of the season journey is the main part, after that it's just cosmetic portrait frames to show how far you got.

Still provides a decent guide to progression towards higher GR etc and some things to do along the way.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

VodeAndreas posted:

Chapter 4 of the season journey is the main part, after that it's just cosmetic portrait frames to show how far you got.
And there's the stash tab for completing Conqueror tier, of course.

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I saw this on Xmas sale and figured it was time to pick it up. I just reached Act 2, and I’m still not quite clear on some stuff. It looks like Adventure mode doesn’t open until I complete the campaign once. Should I bother with starting a new Seasonal character, or will the current season be ending soon?

I’m a little surprised how little feedback I get so far. I’m running a wizard and so far haven’t found a way to determine how much damage my skills do beyond feel. I never use my weapon attack, so I basically ignore its dps and just stack Int. Am I doing it right? All the gear has pretty basic attributes. I’ve played Grim Dawn and that other F2P one that I’m forgetting the name of. This seems significantly more simplified.

ToxicToast
Dec 7, 2006
Thanks, I'm flattered.
When you are that early in the game, it really is just about that simple. Your weapon damage and main stat are what mostly determine your damage. Once you get to level 70 it gets more complicated, but while you are doing the story mode just use new gear that makes your numbers bigger and have fun trying out all your new skills and combinations of them.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Vyr doesn't really feel great with just the 6pc bonus, what with the 2 min cooldown. Making a wizard as the 1st season char may have not been the best idea. :shepface:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

good news is that there are several viable sets for each character, so just try another one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Vyr's is the weakest Wizard set, but something that's not going to be obvious to a newcomer is that you won't be effective with just the 6pc. At the very least you'll also need the Swami, Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac, Fazula's belt, and Chantodo's with a healthy amount of cooldown reduction from gear. I'd recommend looking up a guide on icy-veins for all the supporting items you'll need to make any set effective.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Geburan posted:

I saw this on Xmas sale and figured it was time to pick it up. I just reached Act 2, and I’m still not quite clear on some stuff. It looks like Adventure mode doesn’t open until I complete the campaign once. Should I bother with starting a new Seasonal character, or will the current season be ending soon?

I’m a little surprised how little feedback I get so far. I’m running a wizard and so far haven’t found a way to determine how much damage my skills do beyond feel. I never use my weapon attack, so I basically ignore its dps and just stack Int. Am I doing it right? All the gear has pretty basic attributes. I’ve played Grim Dawn and that other F2P one that I’m forgetting the name of. This seems significantly more simplified.

The story mode is bad. If you switch to seasonal, adventure mode is unlocked right away. You can also get someone from LLJK to boost you to maltheal to unlock adventure mode in non-season.

But if you go adventure mode you can do crap like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mx_-wGb02XE

e: also it's late season so the lljk community is prob dead

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Geburan posted:

Everything uses your Weapon damage (well except thorns) so dps on the weapon is extremely important.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

exquisite tea posted:

Vyr's is the weakest Wizard set, but something that's not going to be obvious to a newcomer is that you won't be effective with just the 6pc. At the very least you'll also need the Swami, Obsidian Ring of the Zodiac, Fazula's belt, and Chantodo's with a healthy amount of cooldown reduction from gear. I'd recommend looking up a guide on icy-veins for all the supporting items you'll need to make any set effective.

Yeah I forgot Vyr was like that. It's not the worst thing, just means my progress will be slower this season.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Geburan posted:

I'm always happy to help, msg me on bnet in this group: https://blizzard.com/invite/AldjdsoDy

Seasonal adventure, though :D but I'll powerlevel you a bit, etc.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Got to chapter 6 and I assume at this point is when I really need to be serious about the cube and trying to make good hellfires or something because holy moly random mobs are one-shotting me on Torment X. I'm still hitting hard enough, like my damage has topped out at around 2.1 billion and I assume that's still plenty for chopping down enemies, but not dying is hard.

Vomik posted:

Everything uses your Weapon damage (well except thorns) so dps on the weapon is extremely important.

Is DPS actually more important than how hard it hits overall? I got the impression that unless I'm using like a signature spell/resource builder attack/basic attack/whatever, my attack speed really doesn't matter a ton because I just want my AOEs to build off the biggest possible damage number so all the multiplicative things become huge.

I'm new though so there's a ton of poo poo I don't know yet.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

when does the season end?

also, does which pot i run make a lick of difference?

edit: also mewse i rerolled my gear last night based on your recommendations and immediately had to drop from GR67 to GR60. i assume it's just because i don't have the diamonds in the chest piece yet? or is it the ammy still?

boar guy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 7, 2018

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

boar guy posted:

when does the season end?

There's no official dates announced yet, but they're usually around 3 months long, so I'd expect it to end in about a month.

boar guy posted:

also, does which pot i run make a lick of difference?

They can be helpful when you're in a bad spot. The armor and healing % pots feel far more useful than a random teleport or 50-100 more resist.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Is DPS actually more important than how hard it hits overall? I got the impression that unless I'm using like a signature spell/resource builder attack/basic attack/whatever, my attack speed really doesn't matter a ton because I just want my AOEs to build off the biggest possible damage number so all the multiplicative things become huge.
Many builds have a preference for 1h vs. 2h, which makes a substantial difference in attack speed. Other than that, DPS is king: attack speed affects how fast you cast your resource spending attacks, and a bunch of other nonintuitive things.

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
season should only be a month long this is fuckery bullshit catering to the bots! ..guess it would either way but yeah i have also been waiting for it to end (i think season should be shorter)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Turmoilx posted:

season should only be a month long this is fuckery bullshit catering to the bots! ..guess it would either way but yeah i have also been waiting for it to end (i think season should be shorter)

They need enough time to add all the new content we get with seasons

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

mewse posted:

They need enough time to add all the new content we get with seasons

This is sarcasm right?

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

This is sarcasm right?

Hey man those new portraits take time to design.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Got to chapter 6 and I assume at this point is when I really need to be serious about the cube and trying to make good hellfires or something because holy moly random mobs are one-shotting me on Torment X. I'm still hitting hard enough, like my damage has topped out at around 2.1 billion and I assume that's still plenty for chopping down enemies, but not dying is hard.

Virtually every build has 2+ sources of -50% damage taken that you'll need in high torments and GRifts. Usual sources are: Your set bonuses, 2x Unity + Invincible follower, class-specific bracers/rings/belts with damage reduction, the Endless Walk jewelry set, or -50% damage taken on skills with high uptime (eg. Akarat's Champion/Vengeance). You might also have to ditch a speed/damage passive for a good defensive passive.

Target your gambles towards these slots (especially the class-specific armors which are cheap to gamble and often best in slot) and you'll be stomping T13 in no time.

You can also use the goldwrap + boon of the hoarder + avarice band combo everywhere except greater rifts.

hampig fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 8, 2018

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, I beat Chapter 4 of the thing that rewards you a set. I'm now tackling T5 pretty reliably, but can't go beyond that. My only problem is that I don't really care about my ladder standings, and I'm having trouble caring about doing random rifts and bounties. I know this is subjective, but is there any other goal I can reach for, or if I'm bored, then I just roll a new class and work on getting them to 70?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

sector_corrector posted:

So, I beat Chapter 4 of the thing that rewards you a set. I'm now tackling T5 pretty reliably, but can't go beyond that. My only problem is that I don't really care about my ladder standings, and I'm having trouble caring about doing random rifts and bounties. I know this is subjective, but is there any other goal I can reach for, or if I'm bored, then I just roll a new class and work on getting them to 70?

yeah you can always roll and just try to earn the gear organically

my overall goal this season was to complete as many sets as i could and push as high as i could in rifts but sunwokos is the better build and i built towards ulis. i dont wanna regem and everything so im sorta like 'eh' as well

another season coming soon too though, right?

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

boar guy posted:

yeah you can always roll and just try to earn the gear organically

my overall goal this season was to complete as many sets as i could and push as high as i could in rifts but sunwokos is the better build and i built towards ulis. i dont wanna regem and everything so im sorta like 'eh' as well

another season coming soon too though, right?

I might take my Necromancer through the campaign on Torment while twinking her with my other character. Seems like some of the bosses and set-piece battles might be fun at a higher level, and it would be cool to try out the Necro skillset.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Mindblast posted:

Vyr doesn't really feel great with just the 6pc bonus, what with the 2 min cooldown. Making a wizard as the 1st season char may have not been the best idea. :shepface:

For what it's worth, I went Wizard this season and still managed fine. I'm not a fan of big cooldown-based builds either, but Vyr's out of the box is still decent enough to get started on other builds. I lucked out in getting good channeling specific items (Deathwatch + Etched Sigil), so I rolled around as a bad Archon for a while until I found enough pieces of Tal Rasha to make the switch.

At one point, mind you, I was doing more damage channeling out of Archon than for the first half of the Archon, until I built up some stacks. :downs:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

hampig posted:

Virtually every build has 2+ sources of -50% damage taken that you'll need in high torments and GRifts. Usual sources are: Your set bonuses, 2x Unity + Invincible follower, class-specific bracers/rings/belts with damage reduction, the Endless Walk jewelry set, or -50% damage taken on skills with high uptime (eg. Akarat's Champion/Vengeance). You might also have to ditch a speed/damage passive for a good defensive passive.

Target your gambles towards these slots (especially the class-specific armors which are cheap to gamble and often best in slot) and you'll be stomping T13 in no time.

You can also use the goldwrap + boon of the hoarder + avarice band combo everywhere except greater rifts.

I don't know what basically all those items are but I get you inasmuch as now I know why all the barb builds are running Furious Charge, since that one rune can give them near constant uptime on the 80% damage reduction.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah 100% don't worry about getting your characters to GR90s your first time playing. Just play new classes if you get bored of the old one, you'll eventually find a build that has a good mix of survivability, damage, and speed, and playstyle that you enjoy enough to put the time in to optimize. A lot of D3 is just learning the game and the mechanics and the item pool.

Check D3fans or icy-veins for builds. If you have an endgame build in mind, you should find basically all the pieces for it naturally before long, but you need to have that direction as early as possible. TBH, I'd just pick any build that seems vaguely fun and says top-tier or gr90+ and work towards it, you'll gear into it pretty quickly.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Also for gods sake plz don't do any more campaign than minimally necessary. Just get to farming rifts and greater rifts asap. The rewards are the best there, you'll gear up rapidly and you'll burn out quickly enough to enjoy the next season even more.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
*Logs on to HC to finish Conquerer
*Dies
*Powerlevels replacement
* Dies

“Ahhh it’s good to be home”

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I would be fine if they just coded every skill damage bonus, legendary item bonus, and set item bonus to be randomized on a scale from like a -100% to a +500% range.

The every season they just press that old scramble button and let the community figure things out from there.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Finally got some cube items to switch over from a Seismic Slam based Immortal Kings build to a Hammer of the Ancients one based on some suggestions. It's way less dramatic but it also doesn't run nearly the risk of sputtering out on Fury. When playing with friends it also gives them the opportunity to kill things once in a while and I think they appreciate that.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I got 19 of the 20 unique bosses in two runs of the Darkening of Tristram event.

And then it took 5 more runs to get the last rear end in a top hat, who had to be on level 7.

Least I got that sweet portrait

And nothing else at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I got 19 of the 20 unique bosses in two runs of the Darkening of Tristram event.

And then it took 5 more runs to get the last rear end in a top hat, who had to be on level 7.

Least I got that sweet portrait

And nothing else at all

Wait what is this about?