Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe

Lokar posted:

https://splinternews.com/oh-drat-401-k-s-arent-magic-1821807209

[The] study found that four years after hire, the employees who were auto-enrolled amassed an average of $3,237 more in 401(k) contributions than those who were left to sign up on their own. (That number includes both employee and employer contributions, but not market growth.)

But the auto-enrolled employees also had an average of $1,563 more in consumer and auto debt than those who were hired before auto-enrollment. When mortgage debt is factored in, the picture becomes more complicated. The auto-enrolled employees owed $4,131 more, on average, on their homes than their colleagues who were hired before auto-enrollment.

This debt more than offsets the extra $3,237 the auto-enrolled employees contributed to the plan, including the employer match.

holy fukken lol

pump up stocks, take out a loan to pay for ur trailer, could u fellate wall street any deeper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Duscat posted:

holy fukken lol

pump up stocks, take out a loan to pay for ur trailer, could u fellate wall street any deeper

It was a pretty good idea connecting retirement to expecting people to pick stocks.

Not to mention all the highway robbery through high expense ratio funds, basically another way for Wall Street to rob main street.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im trying to navigate my new 401k options and its seriously the most dumbfuck confusing poo poo ever just give me a low fee index fund with tax breaks or w/e aaaaa

Lokar
Mar 10, 2006

Reading that article actually shocked me. I had assumed the whole “nudge” “paternal capitalism” was a (slight) net positive.

Alright, I’m radicalized...guess let’s guillotine the shitheads on Freakonomics / Planet Money that assume you can rationally apply economic principles without resorting to politics to make people’s lives easier.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

anime was right posted:

im trying to navigate my new 401k options and its seriously the most dumbfuck confusing poo poo ever just give me a low fee index fund with tax breaks or w/e aaaaa

come to the long term investing thread in biz & finance

alternatively if your employer has you set up with a plan that doesn’t offer any good options then start making noise. most of the time it’s because hr is clueless and didn’t know any better

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What's the current market cap on CosbyCoins?

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

420.69 bitcoins

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

1000kg of sedatives

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

anime was right posted:

the modern stock market is just a way to privatize money that should be going towards social security. if we abolished 401k's/etc people wouldnt have to worry about beating inflation and finding tax loopholes

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

anime was right posted:

yeah, it's seriously absurd. the plan at my work offers something that's basically SPY but with something like a 0.98% expense ratio (as opposed to SPY itself, with 0.09% expenses). their other offerings are even worse.

i have no idea if it's true but there have to be kickbacks somewhere from the plan administrator to HR or somebody, otherwise this makes no sense.

Lokar posted:

Reading that article actually shocked me. I had assumed the whole “nudge” “paternal capitalism” was a (slight) net positive.

I really want to see the study first. The article points to a paywalled WSJ journal article, which presumably points to the research. I'm curious who they looked at and if there were other factors involved.

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.
I wish people would just make a bitcoin thread and stop talking about it here

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Thug Lessons posted:

I wish people would just make a bitcoin thread and stop talking about it here

kinda, but at the same time bitcoin went from like 200M market cap to 800M in a matter of weeks

this thing is ballooning

also "market cap" is a hilarious concept

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/PostCultRev/status/949719890021171200

https://twitter.com/HenryInnis/status/949755523691237376

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
municipalities should nationalize uber/etc as micro-buses to shuttle people to real bus lines, which also get greatly expanded

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

just flew delta back to europe and before every in flight movie they have an ad saying “by flying with us you’re not just flying. you’re saving the world by helping us employ veterans and also helping us make paltry contributions to charities! so congratulations you on saving the world :patriot:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
world's saved, greenpeace can go home

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Condiv posted:

just flew delta back to europe and before every in flight movie they have an ad saying “by flying with us you’re not just flying. you’re saving the world by helping us employ veterans and also helping us make paltry contributions to charities! so congratulations you on saving the world :patriot:

I absolutely hate that poo poo. I can’t think of a single person who would watch that and think “You know what? They’re right! This *is* working for everyone.” and then softly falls asleep against the window with a gentle smile.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

United used to put Jeff 'mother fucker' Smisek on their pre flight corporate advertizement.

I always felt like you needed to take a shower after listening to that guy. Then he was poo poo canned for collusion and price fixing or something and now we're back to business as usual.

The lesson learned is that all the plane CEOs need face time before a flight I guess?

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Acelerion posted:

United used to put Jeff 'mother fucker' Smisek on their pre flight corporate advertizement.

I always felt like you needed to take a shower after listening to that guy. Then he was poo poo canned for collusion and price fixing or something and now we're back to business as usual.

The lesson learned is that all the plane CEOs need face time before a flight I guess?

it's because CEOs are narcissistic sociopaths

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I mean if I'm around people on or near an airplane I'm staying below the radar (...). Why would I want a group of people abnormally pissed off and irritated to know who to blame.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

crypto market cap is greater than jp morgan chase and bank of america combined

tesla is valued higher than ford despite manufacturing ~2% of the vehicles

uber higher than all taxi companies combined despite losing literally billions each year

the tech bubble popping is gonna be hilarious

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

tesla is valued higher than ford despite manufacturing ~2% of the vehicles

uber higher than all taxi companies combined despite losing literally billions each year
:wow:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
have taxis made their own app yet

i dont care about the couple bucks cheaper per ride so much, but the on-demand and street-specific ride ordering is the best part of the apps

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

got any sevens posted:

i dont care about the couple bucks cheaper per ride so much, but the on-demand and street-specific ride ordering is the best part of the apps

there are a ton of taxi apps out there, taxi companies just tend to be regional because there are huge cost issues with expanding, so the taxi app in one city might not work in the next.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I absolutely hate that poo poo. I can’t think of a single person who would watch that and think “You know what? They’re right! This *is* working for everyone.” and then softly falls asleep against the window with a gentle smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys_dXh7cqAQ

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

got any sevens posted:

Here in new york we have curb (https://gocurb.com/) but no one I know uses it.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
uber and all these immoral ride-sharing apps are incredibly convenient and cheap, but if taxis were ever in that comparable situation i would choose them 100%

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i frankly have no problem lighting investors' money on fire using uber

gives me a good chance to radicalize the driver and suggest other employment options if they didn't finance their loving car through them

if they did that they're a lost cause

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Aliquid posted:

i frankly have no problem lighting investors' money on fire using uber

gives me a good chance to radicalize the driver and suggest other employment options if they didn't finance their loving car through them

if they did that they're a lost cause

you realize that not using uber will set the investors money on fire faster, and that by using it you are doing exactly what they want in not using traditional taxi/public transportation services?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

That's why we must all switch to using Lyft!

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Karl Barks posted:

That's why we must all switch to using Lyft!
and Juno! http://www.businessinsider.com/we-tried-juno-the-new-app-taking-on-uber-in-new-york-2016-6

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I'd short the gently caress out of Tesla if I had absolutely any faith that the market was operating rationally.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

you realize that not using uber will set the investors money on fire faster, and that by using it you are doing exactly what they want in not using traditional taxi/public transportation services?

i live in the middle of loving nowhere

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

https://twitter.com/TIME/status/950112335078752256

Goddamn videocards are never gonna go down in price.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

TheDon01 posted:

lol thats going to cripple AI research and redirect all that investment into tulip bulbs

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

adopting a universal Jeb!coin standard will solve bitcoin's energy consumption problem

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

TheDon01 posted:

Wait but like why

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i don't even understand the gpu thing

like, weren't gpus good until maybe 2014-2015 and became utter poo poo as soon as the asics became a thing or whatever? did something in the gpu's process change that makes them remotely viable in clusters or is it just dumb bullshit (or both)?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
i detect youre trying to use logic in this thread in regards to butts and coins and oh lordy do i have news for you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moxxis Endowment
Dec 11, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shear Modulus posted:

lol thats going to cripple AI research and redirect all that investment into tulip bulbs
I'm glad of it.