Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Bad Red Snapcaster will probably see a couple of copies played in mono-red since Harsh Mentor is really bad and sees play.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

If you want a picture of the future of magic, picture an eternalized goatsucker stomping on your guys... Forever.

Eternalized Goatsucker is my new band name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Hellsau posted:

:wink:

Sestze
Jun 6, 2004

Cybernetic Crumb

Nibble posted:

I always find it odd when they print nearly-strictly-better cards close together, but somehow it didn't strike me until now that these are both in the same set:

:thunk:
You know, I saw this card and thought "huh, that seems extremely powerful" and just kept moving on.

That piece of poo poo is going to be format defining for the next two years, and is going to suck the energy out of every room its played in. There will be posts about how a jumped-up Nekrataal is loving standard sideways like a year from now.

I found that to be an interesting statement about Standard in general though, for 99% of the decks built you don't really care if your poo poo dies, unless there's an opposing Scarab God kicking around. You either got immediate value, it's not really dead, or it was effectively an extra card and didn't matter. As the man said, no risk in your strategy, it feels like a goldfish game to maximize mana usage.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Hellsau posted:

Bad Red Snapcaster will probably see a couple of copies played in mono-red since Harsh Mentor is really bad and sees play.

I get your point, but fwiw, most red decks have kicked Harsh Mentor out again

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Maro will just say the development team isn’t allowed to listen to whatever Sullivan said for whatever weird reason he can’t look at fake cards.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I have a feeling Snap-Pirate will see play initially as a 1-2 of in Mardu token main boards with the rest in the side for spell heavy matchups. Whether it works, no idea.

I don’t know standard at all, but remember, it has first strike. That is not irrelevant in a format where tokens are a good portion of it.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

DangerDongs posted:

So the red Snapcaster is going to be really good right?

I think it has a place in 5c Humans

The fail case of a 2/1 First Strike is decent. Incidental GY hate, Vial to flash it, and the ability to cast spells off Caverns gives the deck additional reach that it doesn't have now

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Angry Grimace posted:

whatever weird reason he can’t look at fake cards.

That bit makes sense though, if you send the design team a bomb card you've designed yourself and they acknowledge it and say "cool card bro!" then a couple of sets down the line your card, or something very close to it, is in the set then there's a case there for you being the creator of it and deserving of compensation.

it's much easier and safer legally for them to just say "while we appreciate the effort, we at WotC do not acknowledge fan made cards"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Walked posted:

I think it has a place in 5c Humans

The fail case of a 2/1 First Strike is decent. Incidental GY hate, Vial to flash it, and the ability to cast spells off Caverns gives the deck additional reach that it doesn't have now

Humans doesn't want to cast many spells that isn't lantern.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Mono G devotion just took down U/R Delver to go 10-0 in the Open, modern is awesome.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I agree with part of PSulli's rant, but I disagree with part of his core premise. He frames this entire thing as "this is what's been wrong with Standard over the past few years", but the class of cards he's describing this pushing out have almost never been playable in the first place, for exactly the reasons he describes.

Historically there have been 4 drops that don't provide value on the way in, the way out, or protect themselves, but they've been few and far between. The most recent one is, I think, Woodland Wanderer, and that card wasn't exactly a format defining monster. The best one was probably Polukranos.

You get to 5 and I think the only creatures that fit are Baneslayer Angel, Arc-Slogger, and Serra Angel in 1994? I guess Wafo-Tapa played 1 Dralnu at Worlds once. I think you can make a reasonable argument that it's a long-term structural problem with how Magic is developed in general, but frame it as "this is what is wrong with Standard lately" and it just doesn't make sense to me.

E: formatting

Elyv fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 7, 2018

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

TheKingofSprings posted:

It was also not a very good deck vs. Delver

Yeah, well, what was?

Delver was. :suicide:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Elyv posted:

I agree with part of PSulli's rant, but I disagree with part of his core premise. He frames this entire thing as "this is what's been wrong with Standard over the past few years", but the class of cards he's describing this pushing out have almost never been playable in the first place(for exactly the reasons he describes). Historically there have been 4 drops that don't provide value on the way in, the way out, or protect themselves, but they've been few and far between. The most recent one is, I think, Woodland Wanderer, and that card wasn't exactly a format defining monster. The best one was probably Polukranos(which does generate instant value as a lategame topdeck as well). You get to 5 and I think the only creatures that fit are Baneslayer Angel, Arc-Slogger, and Serra Angel in 1994? I guess Wafo-Tapa played 1 Dralnu at Worlds once. I think you can make a reasonable argument that it's a long-term structural problem with how Magic is developed in general, but frame it as "this is what is wrong with Standard lately" and it just doesn't make sense to me.

It was a looser, more ranty argument than his usual evaluations.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Cruel Reality just got played in legacy, the 7 mana curse.

Edit: Even more curses.

DangerDongs fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 7, 2018

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Layline of the void + Helm of Obedience just exiled and entire library on the Wizards stream for x = 1.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tainen posted:

Layline of the void + Helm of Obedience just exiled and entire library on the Wizards stream for x = 1.

It was by the same guy playing the curses.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DangerDongs posted:

It was by the same guy playing the curses.

Isn't that the Nic Fit deck with Academy Rector?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Rinkles posted:

It was a looser, more ranty argument than his usual evaluations.

I don't think that is relevant to my argument.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I'm very horny for replayability being you jam your five drop and your opponent gets four turns to try to answer it or loses. Sometimes they won't draw a card, sometimes they will, endless hours of fun!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Elyv posted:

I don't think that is relevant to my argument.

Okay, I was just making a related observation.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Nibble posted:

I always find it odd when they print nearly-strictly-better cards close together, but somehow it didn't strike me until now that these are both in the same set:

:thunk:

This settles it once and for all, Ixalan pirates are canonically worse at killing people than Innistrad humans.

e: I remember back when, even if they had to make some removal mediocre, they at least tried to make it interesting. These days they literally just throw extra mana on something and/ or make it sorcery speed, and call it a day.

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jan 7, 2018

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Elyv posted:

I agree with part of PSulli's rant, but I disagree with part of his core premise. He frames this entire thing as "this is what's been wrong with Standard over the past few years", but the class of cards he's describing this pushing out have almost never been playable in the first place, for exactly the reasons he describes.

Historically there have been 4 drops that don't provide value on the way in, the way out, or protect themselves, but they've been few and far between. The most recent one is, I think, Woodland Wanderer, and that card wasn't exactly a format defining monster. The best one was probably Polukranos.

You get to 5 and I think the only creatures that fit are Baneslayer Angel, Arc-Slogger, and Serra Angel in 1994? I guess Wafo-Tapa played 1 Dralnu at Worlds once. I think you can make a reasonable argument that it's a long-term structural problem with how Magic is developed in general, but frame it as "this is what is wrong with Standard lately" and it just doesn't make sense to me.

E: formatting

His point wasn’t that ETBs are inherently overpowered and unfun, it was that there’s no reason to play anything else because they’re obviously better than everything else to the point there’s no real question about playing them. There isn’t some specific question about whether to put a Chupacabra in your deck; it kills everything. There’s no play to them.

It’s why Scarab God is a dumb card: it punishes your opponent for doing fun things.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 7, 2018

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

quote:

e: I remember back when, even if they had to make some removal mediocre, they at least tried to make it interesting. These days they literally just throw extra mana on something and/ or make it sorcery speed, and call it a day.

sinister concoction wasnt that long ago

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Angry Grimace posted:

His point wasn’t that ETBs are inherently overpowered and unfun, it was that there’s no reason to play anything else because they’re obviously better than everything else to the point there’s no real question about playing them. There’s no play to them. They blow up your opponents guys and then stick around as vanilla dudes.

If the choice is between, say, Nekrataal and Doom Blade, then there might be some actual tension. Or Thragtusk and... okay, it's harder to think of a comparable cheap spell because one usually just doesn't play pure lifegain spells, but maybe Feed the Clan for an example of something that saw some fringe play when the incentive was great enough.

When you compare Impale and Chupacabra, then yeah, there's just zero reason to ever not take the 2/2 body unless I guess you're insanely afraid of Essence Scatter :v:

Soul Glo posted:

sinister concoction wasnt that long ago

It was also a madness/graveyard enabler, and fairly mana-cheap as modern unconditional removal goes, so I don't really count it as an example of deliberately trying to make a lovely/marginal removal spell

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the best four drop with no ETB was hero of bladehold

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
There have literally been strictly better cards at higher rarities since Alpha.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I played Rivals standard (although I don't know what's banned or if nothing is banned) but the problem with Rivals as a set is that it not only doesn't do anything to combat existing decks, very few of the cards are good enough to even slot into existing decks. There's nothing interesting going on at all beyond drawing bad so your opponent ramps out a huge dinosaur that often isn't good enough to win the game on it's own.

I've had a lot of opponent build their decks around playing Zacama, play him, get him Vraska's Contempted, and then notice they used every card in their hand to play Zacama and gaining 9 life or shooting down some creatures when you have nothing else in play and no cards in hand is dumb and bad.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 7, 2018

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

whydirt posted:

There have literally been strictly better cards at higher rarities since Alpha.

My personal favourite was the strictly better card at the same rarity in Rise of Eldrazi.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

JerryLee posted:

The thing is that "lovely card with a lot of text" isn't actually more fun than "lovely card with not much text", and realising this was the main motivation behind NWO. These cards don't need to be fancy, they're the glue that holds limited together, and making these slight tweaks lets them adjust how the format plays

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Lone Goat posted:

My personal favourite was the strictly better card at the same rarity in Rise of Eldrazi.

What was that?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Death Bomb is kind of a weird example to use, considering that there's a modernized version in rtr

E:

Rinkles posted:

What was that?

Glory Seeker vs Knight of Cliffhaven

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Elyv posted:

Death Bomb is kind of a weird example to use, considering that there's a modernized version in rtr

E:

Glory Seeker vs Knight of Cliffhaven

Launch Party is such a good name for a cardn

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
This is stupid. If he shackles is untapped on accident and he doesn't move to his next step why is it considered untapped instead of just saying "I decide not to untap."

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Good they did it right and McDuffey got bolted out. Good.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Good they did it right and McDuffey got bolted out. Good.

He seems like a tool.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

mcmagic posted:

He seems like a tool.

I hate rules angle shooting.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

mcmagic posted:

He seems like a tool.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I hate rules angle shooting.

And he was 100% wrong. He never untapped the shackles. If he stated his opponent did he lied to a judge.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Are there any Black/Green standard or modern decks that aren't more or less helpless right now? I like the themes and creatures but I didn't realize how slow and vulnerable -1 counters was compared to Energy anything since I started with Amonkhet.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Are there any Black/Green standard or modern decks that aren't more or less helpless right now? I like the themes and creatures but I didn't realize how slow and vulnerable -1 counters was compared to Energy anything since I started with Amonkhet.

B/G is the staple of many Modern decks, but it is pricey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Jund (Black-Green-Red) and Junk (Black-Green-White) are both staple decks in Modern. Both play a little differently and just how competitive they are fluctuates over time. And while neither has been the "best" deck for years they are almost always competitive and are generally safe from being killed as archetypes due to bannings (though a couple Jund cards have been banned in the past).

I'm right there with you, BG was my favorite color pairing as a kid and I've always wanted to build a BGx deck in Modern but they are really drat expensive. Maybe when I finally scale down my collection volume I build one BGx deck and sell everything else.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jan 7, 2018