Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'm starting to wish the show would move a little faster, though it may just be that I'm getting bored by these backstory episodes.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Such a beautiful show.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
As heavy as this can get at times, it might behoove people to view as an almost Day In the Life style show; it's far more interested in setting atmosphere and telling self-contained stories than it is about an over-arching plot.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Sarrisan posted:

As heavy as this can get at times, it might behoove people to view as an almost Day In the Life style show; it's far more interested in setting atmosphere and telling self-contained stories than it is about an over-arching plot.

I definitely view it as more of a focus on the characters and not the world or plot in the usual sense. Seeing the characters change and grow and deal with their issues is interesting, and having magic involved is an interesting mechanism for getting insights into these individuals that might otherwise seem forced or not make sense to have revealed to the viewer.

In that sense I hope we learn more about Silver soon. Her presence feels very flat compared to the other characters introduced so far.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Oh dragon grandad, you get me every time. :qq:

I never knew Chise's wand has the same eyes she does. In the manga it just says they're "the color of a sunset," which I definitely do not associate with green.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 23, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The thing with "the color of sunset" is it could mean literally any color, because (at least in the temperate zones?) sunsets refract through the atmosphere and create a muted rainbow. :v:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Gonna throw in a request for a webm of the axolotl spirit thingy riding the sheeperpillar. And also note that Chise's phoenix flames make quite a pretty dress when you see her head and torso coming out of them mid-flight.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

I thought this season was only 12 ep but I'm glad there's a 2nd cour since this one of the cuter anime series out :3:

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
If this show follows manga as closely as it has then Silver fans should be able to look forward to an episode dedicated to her in the future.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

tsob posted:

Gonna throw in a request for a webm of the axolotl spirit thingy riding the sheeperpillar. And also note that Chise's phoenix flames make quite a pretty dress when you see her head and torso coming out of them mid-flight.

I can do it in Gif form.

Also fire Chise.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

This is not at all the kind of thing I usually like. It's slow, and some episodes contain almost no conflict of any kind, just Chise discovering some poo poo about the magical under-world. It's shoujo slice-of-lifey which I normally can't stand.

But I look forward to it every week. I think its one of the best anime shows I've seen in a while. And the manga is great too.

:iiam:

It's one of the handful of anime I've really thought was worth watching for the last year.

edit: I could do without the jarring chibi poo poo though.

Digital Prophet fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Dec 25, 2017

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

God, those cotton flies are probably the most adorable magical creature in the show. I forgot that that part was where it was, and it put a huge grin on my face when it started.

Also, going by the brief scene preview at the end of the episode, it looks like the second cour is adapting farther ahead than I expected. It's not too surprising now that I think about it, though, given we're already through about 40% of the already existing chapters.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

"oh cool she's going to emulate elias' thorn magic to teleport back to him"

that was way cooler, dang

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

where the red fern gropes posted:

"oh cool she's going to emulate elias' thorn magic to teleport back to him"

that was way cooler, dang

plus given what they've said about how people's aptitude for different kinds of magic works (and what they've said about chise and elias in particular) she probably wouldn't be very good at it anyways

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I ordered the soundtrack for this show from Japan and it's probably one of the best purchases I've made this year. Such a pretty soundtrack. Sadly while it has Titania's theme (one of my favorites), it seems to be missing Lindel's song.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Any word on a second season?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Reinanigans posted:

Any word on a second season?

This season is 2 cour, 24 episodes. I think it comes back next week?

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Genocyber posted:

This season is 2 cour, 24 episodes. I think it comes back next week?

Oh sweet. Last week really felt like a season finale.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Just caught up on the last three episodes this evening and I have to say that every time Lindel started singing, I was immediately yanked out of the scene. I cannot get over how poor the direction is on this show.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Maera Sior posted:

Just caught up on the last three episodes this evening and I have to say that every time Lindel started singing, I was immediately yanked out of the scene. I cannot get over how poor the direction is on this show.

His music has been one of my favorite bits of the show so far, so maybe this just isn't to your personal tastes.

Aug 24, 2011

Maera Sior posted:

i know the singing happens even while he's talking normally or has his mouth closed but it was very nice singing

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...
I really enjoy the show so far, but Lindel's song just sounds off to me as well. It's not really an animation issue, or that it happens while he's talking, it just sounds off for some reason to me and I can't place it. The music has been really great overall though.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Maera Sior posted:

I can agree with this. There was some reeeeeeally wonky pacing in that last episode. Almost ruined the phoenix scene for me.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I love those stupid bugs. :kimchi:

Also scenes with Chise and Elias after she gets the foxskin are some of my favorite in the manga so I'm glad we've reached it in the anime.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
I'm gonna be so drat disappointed if we don't get Silky's chapter adapted.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Hated that new op but a nice episode.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

I can agree with this. There was some reeeeeeally wonky pacing in that last episode. Almost ruined the phoenix scene for me.

my problem with Lindel's song is that it just doesn't fit. all the other music in this show is either ethereal or fantastically melodic; next to some of the brilliant piano jingles, his song was just very... vanilla. Not really bad, but hella boring.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Sarrisan posted:

my problem with Lindel's song is that it just doesn't fit. all the other music in this show is either ethereal or fantastically melodic; next to some of the brilliant piano jingles, his song was just very... vanilla. Not really bad, but hella boring.

I think 'safe' is the word your looking for, because that seems to describe a whole lot of this show. As if they just added more frames to the manga and added color and music. For the most part it's good, but doesn't feel all that special beyond the strength of the manga content.

Aug 24, 2011

i thought that visiting fellow was one of elias' friends but i am thinking he is maybe not so nice, then again maybe there's something else going on. guess i'll find out next week

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

I think 'safe' is the word your looking for, because that seems to describe a whole lot of this show. As if they just added more frames to the manga and added color and music. For the most part it's good, but doesn't feel all that special beyond the strength of the manga content.

Gives me FMAB flashbacks, where it's not really any better than the source but the source alone makes it good and enjoyable if awkward at points.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Gives me FMAB flashbacks, where it's not really any better than the source but the source alone makes it good and enjoyable if awkward at points.

I didn't find FMAB to have the awkward pacing or the tonal whiplash that this does, but I assume your point is that FMAB was a similar minimalist adaptation, so I'm going to put that down to the source material itself.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think it works for FMAB because it's a very plot-oriented show. Same with Monster.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Maera Sior posted:

I didn't find FMAB to have the awkward pacing or the tonal whiplash that this does, but I assume your point is that FMAB was a similar minimalist adaptation, so I'm going to put that down to the source material itself.

FMAB has plenty of tonal whiplash since all the gags were drawn in the same style as the manga. It by no means ruined the show but it was very noticeable when it happened, like in this show. FMAB was an accurate adaptation that happened to be extremely good, but could have been potentially better if it breathed a little bit more in its own medium.

Adaptations I argue aren't good based on accuracy but by using what the medium adds, something this show suffers from in being too accurate to a fault.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 8, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

C-SPAN Caller posted:

FMAB has plenty of tonal whiplash since all the gags were drawn in the same style as the manga. It by no means ruined the show but it was very noticeable when it happened, like in this show. FMAB was an accurate adaptation that happened to be extremely good, but could have been potentially better if it breathed a little bit more in its own medium.

Adaptations I argue aren't good based on accuracy but by using what the medium adds, something this show suffers from in being too accurate to a fault.

Using what the medium adds and avoiding what no longer works.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I enjoyed the new episode, but I really wish we'd gotten to see more of Elias' creepy goat friend. That whole montage felt like it was probably stuff from the manga that they decided not to spend more time on for whatever reason.

Arturia
Jan 24, 2017

Can't stop clicking circles
I just caught up after falling behind on episode 10. I really liked the Phoenix scene, very symbolic.

The new OP is bland especially when compared to the new one but the new ED is very nice.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Man I expected more of a story from fox Chise and the skin. Unless it's the seed of something later.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was a beautiful episode. I hope everything is ok though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

Man I expected more of a story from fox Chise and the skin. Unless it's the seed of something later.

I feel like it was mostly an impetus to force Elias to be honest with her; since, even after hearing Chise's story, he was still not quite ready to open up.

Ashen Eyes... is very creepy. Who the hell knows what his goals are.