Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Oh, I'm just playing around. I'm well aware that MoS is a masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Isn’t there no Snyder cut? The circumstances of him leaving the movie meant that it wasn’t a complete film at the time of his departure, right?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

There is absolutely no Snyder cut, the effects on anything he was working with aren't near finished.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Yeah thank good they cut all of Cyborg's scenes out to make room for a Russian family peeking outta windows

Do we know what other scenes got cut besides Cyborg's and Iris's?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I don't think there is any footage on any editor's floor that could possibly save Justice League from itself.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Isn’t there no Snyder cut? The circumstances of him leaving the movie meant that it wasn’t a complete film at the time of his departure, right?

Poor dude's daughter died a sudden and tragic death, he didn't give a gently caress about the direction some dork movie was gonna go.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Snyder actually kept working on the movie for months after she died to get it to a state he could pass it off.

He cares a lot about the dumb nerd movies, which is a shame because they're not worth it.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Sort of. Snyder put together a rough cut, then scripted some extra scenes and passed that all to Whedon. There's no final cut by him.

Koalas March posted:

Mostly just from guessing by the trailers. They haven't come out and said what got cut yet, and the home release won't contain all of it anyway. They took out 75 minutes of stuff so there's a lot. People just know a lot of Cyborg was cut because it all got uploaded to Vimeo somehow shortly after release.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't stuff with J.K. Simmons meant to be in it?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Wasn't stuff with J.K. Simmons meant to be in it?

He's still in there.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I think Eisenberg filmed more scenes for Luthor but those got cut/reduced to the post-credits scene.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Koalas March posted:

Apparently he was the central audience POV character, and one of the main scenes was him learning to fly, but I'm just going by what people have said here on the forums

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

They also changed the whole return of Superman thing. He was supposed to be way more discombobulated when he came back, and presumably they'd delve into what it was like being dead beyond "itchy".

It really is a shame because Cyborgs story has lots of cool material to mine. His guilt over causing his moms death, his anger at his dad for not being there and turning him into a freak, his shame at being half a man, etc etc.

But instead we got generic russian family drama. Dumb.

SonicRulez posted:

I'm lookin at a tearful Superman snap Zod's neck and Pa Kent getting sucked into a tornado and the Jesus stuff and I'm not sure you and I think of "dire" in the same way.

Yes you're right, the movie would have been so much better if clark smiled while killing zod, maybe make a joke or something while he's at it, you know, to make killing someone a little less intense for the audience.

The greatest sins MoS did was taking itself seriously instead of having this ironic or campy detachment about itself, and trying to show what a burden the enormous responsibility of having superpowers is, instead of playing to the audiences power fantasies.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yeah it would've been really cool to have a relatable black superhero who has to deal with actual family conflict and not just be a black dude who is just kinda there. (Rhodey, but never Falcon)

Speaking of Falcon, him name dropping Mark Furhman loving snatched my wig. That was probably the dopest poo poo I've seen until black panther

Edit: also if they recast Iris I'm gonna lose my poo poo

Koalas March fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 7, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

For those keeping score, Last Jedi is the #1 movie of 2017 now.

Beauty and the Beast will likely beat it internationally, but Last Jedi will win overall with a bigger domestic take (which is better for the studio, though they're both Disney anyway.)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

McCloud posted:

Yes you're right, the movie would have been so much better if clark smiled while killing zod, maybe make a joke or something while he's at it, you know, to make killing someone a little less intense for the audience.

The greatest sins MoS did was taking itself seriously instead of having this ironic or campy detachment about itself, and trying to show what a burden the enormous responsibility of having superpowers is, instead of playing to the audiences power fantasies.

I understand that I'm being baited, but maybe it would've been better if Clark didn't kill Zod. Since I'm specifically asking for something that isn't sorrowful. This isn't actually one of my objective criticisms of the DC films. It's my own personal taste. However, if you do want some of the objective stuff, I have it.

Don't you think it's not at all weird that there's no greater Watchmen universe? It's one contained story (or at least used to be). Because an entire universe built from multiple angles about how poo poo the universe is isn't actually as interesting as people might think. I showed up for Superman because I think Superman is cool. I didn't really want to be told how if Superman was totally real, he'd actually have a rough go of it. I know that already, because I'm not a child. Same reason I don't care for The Dark Knight Rises. It feels a lot like being told that wrestling isn't real. I know that, now let me watch my suplexes in peace.

The greatest sins Man of Steel committed was having a Superman who has no agency and seems constantly bothered by what literally everyone thinks of him.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McCloud posted:

You seem really upset people don't enjoy this movie.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

*huffs a line of my own farts*

Look guys the biggest problem with Snyder's movies is that people are literally too loving stupid to get it. That's the problem, that idiots exist.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

For those keeping score, Last Jedi is the #1 movie of 2017 now.

Beauty and the Beast will likely beat it internationally, but Last Jedi will win overall with a bigger domestic take (which is better for the studio, though they're both Disney anyway.)

Looking at the numbers on Wikipedia, Last Jedi is $1,205,213,602, while Beauty and the Beast is $1,263,521,126 and Fate of the Furious is between them at $1,235,761,498. TLJ hasn't started well in China and probably won't do too well in its whole run there. The question is, is there still $60 million left for it to earn to beat Beauty and the Beast worldwide?

(Disclaimer: remember how I was convinced that it wouldn't get above $900m globally? :hurr:)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Projections are finishing at $630 million domestic. At this point they know how the math on these shakes out, so that’s a pretty sure bet.

I forgot about Fate of the Furious because it’s so far down in domestic. It obviously won’t hit a billion international to beat that.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jan 7, 2018

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Looking at the numbers on Wikipedia, Last Jedi is $1,205,213,602, while Beauty and the Beast is $1,263,521,126 and Fate of the Furious is between them at $1,235,761,498. TLJ hasn't started well in China and probably won't do too well in its whole run there. The question is, is there still $60 million left for it to earn to beat Beauty and the Beast worldwide?

Last Jedi has 60 million left in it domestically.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Last Jedi has 60 million left in it domestically.

I really enjoy all the numbers (it's been kind of fun to look at how Jumanji has gone from an IP cash-in sequel to a Robin Williams movie from 22 years ago to one of Sony's biggest hits in recent years for instance) but I confess I sometimes get a bit confused by them. Of course, stopping to think about it, I suppose that if Last Jedi could get the equivalent of $5 million per day for the next couple of weeks, then that would amount to another $60m.

The most interesting thing to me has been this narrative about how Last Jedi has disappointed or underperformed when by just about any measure it's been very successful. It's because Force Awakens distorted expectations, I suppose. I read earlier that Last Jedi has performed the way Industry Insiders expected Force Awakens to perform and Force Awakens outperformed those expectations so dramatically that Last Jedi was never going to be anything other than a disappointment in the eyes of some chart-watchers. (Add to that fact that Empire Strikes Back and Attack of the Clones both performed worse than Star Wars and Phantom Menace; I think Last Jedi has done better than Attack of the Clones relative to their respective predecessors.)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Last Jedi is not even 1 month into a 4+ month run right now. Most movies do 4 months.

Nobody who knows their stuff expected Last Jedi to beat Force Awakens because there's a big bump from a dormant franchise (especially Star Wars) finally returning.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Not entirely surprised that jumanji beat tlj finally cuz everyone who was gonna see tlj went immediately whereas jumanji is playing the longer game as the movie you take your kids to to shut them up for two hours

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Last Jedi is not even 1 month into a 4+ month run right now.

I have to admit I hadn't thought of it in those terms.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

SonicRulez posted:

I understand that I'm being baited, but maybe it would've been better if Clark didn't kill Zod. Since I'm specifically asking for something that isn't sorrowful. This isn't actually one of my objective criticisms of the DC films. It's my own personal taste. However, if you do want some of the objective stuff, I have it.

Don't you think it's not at all weird that there's no greater Watchmen universe? It's one contained story (or at least used to be). Because an entire universe built from multiple angles about how poo poo the universe is isn't actually as interesting as people might think. I showed up for Superman because I think Superman is cool. I didn't really want to be told how if Superman was totally real, he'd actually have a rough go of it. I know that already, because I'm not a child. Same reason I don't care for The Dark Knight Rises. It feels a lot like being told that wrestling isn't real. I know that, now let me watch my suplexes in peace.

The greatest sins Man of Steel committed was having a Superman who has no agency and seems constantly bothered by what literally everyone thinks of him.

Man of steel isn't sorrowful, in fact i'd argue the contrary. It's a movie about how faith trumps cynicism and doubt. Superman in this movie is a character that, while himself is full of doubts, is still inspired to do great deeds by his fellow man. This is a big difference between him and how Wonder Woman was portrayed. She inspires man to be better, but Superman is inspired by man to be better. It is also however a movie that treats its subject matter seriously and with a degree of realism, and for whatever reason that turns people off. But because it doesn't offer up a power fantasy, because it tells us exactly how much a burden having powers like Superman is, his acts of heroism stand out that much more.

One of the most common complaints about Superman is that he's "boring", too perfect, there's no conflict or tension because Superman is so powerful he can fix everything. MoS obviously chooses to humanise Clark, and show that even with his powers, there are still challenges even he cannot solve. What you want is the Superman from Donners cut who can turn back time and with a wink and a smile defeat Zod through contrived means. But that's been done, and MoS tried to do something different.

And it should be noted that your watchman analogy falls apart, because not only is there a greater watchman universe ( And as far as i know, it's even fairly popular, so clearly there is an interest for that sort of settings) it's populated by characters who all fail to rise beyond their flaws, in contrast to MoS where Clark sheds his doubts and fears of humanities rejection of him and saves us.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

*huffs a line of my own farts*

Look guys the biggest problem with Snyder's movies is that people are literally too loving stupid to get it. That's the problem, that idiots exist.

You joke, but when people like that dummy Dan Olson, a self professed "cinematographer" can't actually parse what happens on the screen, or just wildly misinterpret stuff, you start to wonder.

Koalas March posted:

Yeah it would've been really cool to have a relatable black superhero who has to deal with actual family conflict and not just be a black dude who is just kinda there. (Rhodey, but never Falcon)

Speaking of Falcon, him name dropping Mark Furhman loving snatched my wig. That was probably the dopest poo poo I've seen until black panther

Edit: also if they recast Iris I'm gonna lose my poo poo

Yeah, it was a missed opportunity to reach out to minority audiences, and they blew it.

And I sincerely hope they don't recast Iris, but at this point, I wouldn't be surprised.

Re The last Jedi: The problem with that movie is that while the critics love it, the audience are split, half hated it, have loved it. People saw it anyways because it's still Star Wars, but it's tricky dealing with a franchise with such cultural entrenchment. No matter what you do, you'll piss a sizeable portion of the fans off.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

McCloud posted:

You joke, but when people like that dummy Dan Olson, a self professed "cinematographer" can't actually parse what happens on the screen, or just wildly misinterpret stuff, you start to wonder.

No, nobody starts to wonder. Man of Steel is an okay movie with some flaws that really hold it back. There are some real pacing and tone issues, especially in the ending. It’s not less successful than it should be because people are “too dumb to get it”. It’s exactly as successful as it deserves to be, which is to say “pretty successful, but not extraordinarily so”.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McCloud posted:

Uh, why are you shittalking this random dude apropos of nothing, especially to justify your bullshit "people are too dumb to get it" vendetta?

e: Also the problem with MoS is not that it humanizes Clark. It's the opposite: his character makes no loving sense.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Man of Steel and Last Jedi seem to have a lot in common.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Wheat Loaf posted:

Man of Steel and Last Jedi have a lot in common.

Nah, The Last Jedi is good

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Arist posted:

Nah, The Last Jedi is good

It's actually a bit poo poo. But not as poo poo as TFA, so that's nice I guess.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McCloud posted:

It's actually a bit poo poo. But not as poo poo as TFA, so that's nice I guess.

Maybe you're just too dumb to get it

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Arist posted:

Uh, why are you shittalking this random dude apropos of nothing, especially to justify your bullshit "people are too dumb to get it" vendetta?

I think that Olson guy argued on twitter that Zod killed the family at the end of MoS with his eye beams, and that's why Clark was crying and yelling with grief; he really thought Clark was yelling because he failed to save that family and saw their charred bodies. Dude was pretty adamant about it being true too. At least I think that's the guy he's talking about.

[edit] TFA, TLJ, and MoS are all good movies imo.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I don't really particularly find the "it humanizes Clark" argument for MoS very compelling becasue it acts as if that were a new viewpoint on Superman and not something that has been done in almost every version of Superman since the Crisis and which MoS borrows a ton from, including television shows and so-on. You can certainly say MoS does it well or poorly but "it's so DIFFERENT from other Superman material" ignores that it is literally based on other Superman material.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I mean they're similar in terms of the reaction they provoke from over-invested fans; I think a lot of the things I've heard said about TLJ are things I've heard said about MoS for years.

Meanwhile, the general audiences turned out for both of them.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Simply the best.

EDIT: I love how you can see the scenery move when he hits it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

teagone posted:

I think that Olson guy argued on twitter that Zod killed the family at the end of MoS with his eye beams, and that's why Clark was crying and yelling with grief; he really thought Clark was yelling because he failed to save that family and saw their charred bodies. Dude was pretty adamant about it being true too. At least I think that's the guy he's talking about.
I've seen people genuinely debate whether or not Superman actually killed the Nairomi terrorist leader that he bumrushed in BvS. I've seen people repeatedly insist that Zod would've come to Earth even if Clark wasn't there despite clear indications that the movie gives to the contrary. There are people who aren't sure whether Wally Keefe actually knew about the checks he was receiving from Bruce Wayne or not.

Zack Snyder is not a very clear storyteller. I blame no one for being confused by his unclear and sometimes outright contradictory storytelling.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Arist posted:

Maybe you're just too dumb to get it

Maybe you're just dumb enough to enjoy it.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't really particularly find the "it humanizes Clark" argument for MoS very compelling becasue it acts as if that were a new viewpoint on Superman and not something that has been done in almost every version of Superman since the Crisis and which MoS borrows a ton from, including television shows and so-on. You can certainly say MoS does it well or poorly but "it's so DIFFERENT from other Superman material" ignores that it is literally based on other Superman material.

It's not a new viewpoint for Superman as a whole, no. As you point out, comics have long been exploring almost every facet of Superman and in fact, pretty much everything in MoS is inspired from some sort of Superman media, be it comics or animated series or w/e. but I'd argue that it is different from the movies that preceded it. Arguably the movies also reach a wider audience than comics or animated series that are more niched.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

McCloud posted:

Maybe you're just dumb enough to enjoy it.

jfc

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

TheManWithNoName posted:

Simply the best.

EDIT: I love how you can see the scenery move when he hits it.

What the gently caress, Superman would never kill Zod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What the gently caress, Superman would never kill Zod

You can clearly see a stab wound. He didn't die by gunshot.

• Locked thread