Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

For the next ac game, instead of gruesome animations, the character should say “I’m SO sorry” every time they kill someone

E: I think I’m accidentally plagiarizing game of thrones though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Ainsley McTree posted:

For the next ac game, instead of gruesome animations, the character should say “I’m SO sorry” every time they kill someone
Ah, the first Canadian assassin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
At this point I either want another game set in Rome using the Origins engine, or a game set in feudal Japan.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Ainsley McTree posted:

This just makes me think of The Princess Bride and Wesley as Dread Pirate Roberts. Now I really want this game with an updated Black Flag engine.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Went on a trip to New York City last week with my daughter, and we visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art. While in the Egyptian section, we looked at the Tomb of Perneb and in the inscriptions in it.

My kid said: "Ancient writing. From the Old Kingdom." I have raised a goon child.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Ainsley McTree posted:

So one step off from a canadian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpJ-RqjimUc&t=102s

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

The Macaroni posted:

Went on a trip to New York City last week with my daughter, and we visited the Metropolitan Museum of Art. While in the Egyptian section, we looked at the Tomb of Perneb and in the inscriptions in it.

My kid said: "Ancient writing. From the Old Kingdom." I have raised a goon child.

Good kid.

You've raised her well.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If she starts asking you to jump off of buildings to impress her and her friends it’s time to start worrying though

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

The Macaroni posted:

-----------------------------------------------------8<-----------------------------------------------------

:perfect:

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God
Today is the last day of voting for Steam Awards. Assassin's Creed Origins is up for "Even Better Than I Expected", which it really deserves.

http://store.steampowered.com/SteamAwards/

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

JFC posted:

Today is the last day of voting for Steam Awards. Assassin's Creed Origins is up for "Even Better Than I Expected", which it really deserves.

http://store.steampowered.com/SteamAwards/

Yeah, honestly, all of the others are either actually poo poo or were as good as anyone would have expected.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Sonic Mania was really good too.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Deakul posted:

Yeah, honestly, all of the others are either actually poo poo or were as good as anyone would have expected.

I was kind of surprised by how much I enjoyed cuphead, I don't normally like platformers or difficult games in general but the art and music won me over

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Earwicker posted:

I was kind of surprised by how much I enjoyed cuphead, I don't normally like platformers or difficult games in general but the art and music won me over

Cuphead is great and the only flaw is I can't play it when I've been drinking

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know if/when they're going to bring the god battles back? I missed them because I wasn't a high enough level.

Alternatively, is there anywhere I can look to see what upcoming events are going on in the next few months? I looked on their site and didn't find much.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Holy poo poo.

I was out murdering guards in Krok-ville, free roaming, when a familiar shirtless fellow helped me out.

Then we had a nice little chat! :buddy:

:allears: I loving love this game.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Finally finished the game. Did everything, visited everywhere.

Final thoughts, this game totally rides on it's gameplay, setting, and charm, because the story was ultimately boring as balls. Side quest design was very cookie cutter as well, with most falling into the "I lost something, find it.", "Bandits did me wrong, go get em.", or "Go rescue this person." variety. Bayek was a great character, but very little was done with him, and the whole "beginning of the assassins" thing was basically a wet fart in the end. The precursor stuff was weird as well, since besides a few offhand comments from Bayek, he never really seems all that amazed or interested by the precursor sites, the recordings there, or the apple. World design was pretty great overall, but got a little lazy in the northwestern Greek/Roman areas. The game barely takes you to that whole section of the map as well, kind of making it feel like an afterthought. That one mission where you have to fight the snake god was odd as well, since it's the only one in the game proper. They introduced those god-battle challenges as a limited time thing later on as well, which makes me think they didn't really know what to do with the gods and those were originally part of the main game, but were culled leaving only the snake battle.

Overall I still really liked the whole thing, but only because they made Egypt such an amazing place to run around in. If they can do the same for whatever the next game is, but tie it to a much more interesting narrative, that would be killer. Let's play as someone on the Templars side of things, and not just someone at Abstergo in the near-future parts of the game.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Final thoughts, this game totally rides on it's gameplay, setting, and charm, because the story was ultimately boring as balls. Side quest design was very cookie cutter as well, with most falling into the "I lost something, find it.", "Bandits did me wrong, go get em.", or "Go rescue this person." variety. Bayek was a great character, but very little was done with him, and the whole "beginning of the assassins" thing was basically a wet fart in the end. The precursor stuff was weird as well, since besides a few offhand comments from Bayek, he never really seems all that amazed or interested by the precursor sites, the recordings there, or the apple. World design was pretty great overall, but got a little lazy in the northwestern Greek/Roman areas. The game barely takes you to that whole section of the map as well, kind of making it feel like an afterthought. That one mission where you have to fight the snake god was odd as well, since it's the only one in the game proper. They introduced those god-battle challenges as a limited time thing later on as well, which makes me think they didn't really know what to do with the gods and those were originally part of the main game, but were culled leaving only the snake battle.

Overall I still really liked the whole thing, but only because they made Egypt such an amazing place to run around in. If they can do the same for whatever the next game is, but tie it to a much more interesting narrative, that would be killer. Let's play as someone on the Templars side of things, and not just someone at Abstergo in the near-future parts of the game.

I think the map is honestly a little too big, with a bit too many repetitive side quests/camps/etc, though obviously feeling compelled to clear the map is the player's fault at some point if it stops being fun. Like you said, the world design and Bayek's charm do a lot of the heavy lifting, though even if the actual gameplay of most sidequests is pretty rote, I think the game did a good job of introducing a number of likable/interesting characters in side quests, which helped. I haven't actually finished yet, but did read spoilers, and I hope Bayek and Aya reunite in the DLC or a sequel and don't just wind up together after they're dead, because that seems like a pretty big downer, though it's not like we've never had a protagonist in this series who was fated for a lovely end before. I haven't quite finished the map, but I think I'm burning out, so I probably need to go ahead and rush to the end instead of waiting until I really get sick of the game and just never end up finishing.

My lukewarm take is that I still kind of think they'd be better off just ditching the metaplot. Either they'll actually start moving it forward toward a climax again, at which point they have to decide if they write an escape hatch again like they did after 3 to continue it, or if they'll just reboot the whole series. This would have been as good an opportunity as they're likely to get for a while to wipe the slate clean though, so I don't think that's in the cards if they didn't do it here. All that poo poo just feels more and more out of place to me the more they de-emphasize it, and the disembodied voices talking at/past me just made me think of the ending of Deus Ex Human Revolution.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I finished it a couple days ago myself, did all sidequests (that I found) and tombs, plus constellation questline, but did not visit every point of interest because gently caress no. Good game.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Agree that the side quests aren't great, but I appreciate the effort made to inject a little story in each one, even if some are pretty boring. I liked the one with Bayek showing off for the kids in Cyrene, that one was great.

I would like to see a greater focus on a major city for the next one; Egypt was great to run around, and around, and around, and then too much around in. I prefer the city-focused settings like Syndicate and Unity, though Black Flag is still my favorite and decidedly not city-focused, like Origins.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yeah, the meta-plot stuff was so beyond inconsequential in Origins I don't understand why they even bothered. Maybe some vocal minority on the dev team was adamant that it had to be included, so they threw them a bone. But really, literally nothing happens in the modern setting in this game.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Yep! Found all of it tedious - the modern day stuff, the emails, the precursor recordings that Bayek finds. Some of the past installments are interesting on some level (the holy poo poo 4th wall breaking from Minerva in ACB, the internal dev emails in Black Flag where a producer defuses an argument with "let's take this offline," etc.), but it feels like a miss in ACO. Too brief in some points, too wordy in others. Didn't feel like the VOs were into it, like they were given unclear direction or the writing seemed as uninteresting to them as it did to me.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Man, what, the NW Greek/Roman areas were gorgeous.
I don't know how you can call them lazy, it brought me back to playing AC:Brotherhood again... the nostalgia was real.

And you also have... this:

Morter posted:

I wandered north-west of Cyrene because I saw an interesting looking structure on the map, and I'm currently watching what seems to be a production/dramatic re-enactment of the political drama between the Pharaohs and Caesar

It is the most :allears: and :stonklol: thing I've ever seen.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jan 7, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Is there actually anything worth seeing in the deserts in the south?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

My complaint as I play though remains the same - the locations might be gorgeous but you ride through them once and then never again, so you never really get a chance to appreciate or establish a sense of familiarity with them.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Spanish Manlove posted:

Is there actually anything worth seeing in the deserts in the south?

There's an ancient tomb in the one to the furthest south. It's like in the very center of it. Aside from that, I don't think so. Anubis's Boss Fight pops in the one just southwest of Siwa, but only when it's available from the developers. The only other reason to roam the deserts is to try to get the achievement for seeing scarabs rain while suffering from desert fever. Sometimes you can hallucinate some neat poo poo like various plot characters chastising you for being an assassin, but it's really rare compared to seeing fish fall from the sky and flowers randomly growing in the desert. Seeing Moses's Burning Bush is particularly neat.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

The Grimace posted:

There's an ancient tomb in the one to the furthest south. It's like in the very center of it. Aside from that, I don't think so. Anubis's Boss Fight pops in the one just southwest of Siwa, but only when it's available from the developers. The only other reason to roam the deserts is to try to get the achievement for seeing scarabs rain while suffering from desert fever. Sometimes you can hallucinate some neat poo poo like various plot characters chastising you for being an assassin, but it's really rare compared to seeing fish fall from the sky and flowers randomly growing in the desert. Seeing Moses's Burning Bush is particularly neat.

Yeah I went exploring for some off the map tombs and stuff but only found hallucinations and that lovely first civilization scar in the southernmost desert. That one is a huge gimme as from the map you go "oh word, what's this random rear end canyon doing there?"

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Just finished rushing to the end and yeah, the split felt really abrupt. The fact that they were on diverging paths had been clear for a while, but Aya flat out renouncing love was weird, especially when she greeted Bayek at the start of those cutscenes by saying it had been too long. The Scorpion barely felt introduced as a character before you kill him as a random dude on an elephant too, which seemed weird.

In general the main plot seemed kind of rushed toward the end, and putting a bit more into that at the expense of some side quests might have been a good idea. It'll be interesting to see where they go with the story DLC, because what they decide to focus on (or more importantly not to focus on) should be a pretty big clue about what they'll do with a sequel.

Edit: Oh yeah, the modern day stuff went absolutely nowhere. I wasn't expecting much and it was still a wet fart.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jan 7, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Alchenar posted:

My complaint as I play though remains the same - the locations might be gorgeous but you ride through them once and then never again, so you never really get a chance to appreciate or establish a sense of familiarity with them.

All games built around fast travel suffer from this. But its also way more convenient. Its a tough thing to balance.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
are the takedowns in this game non-lethal? I've started playing this and triangle just punches people on the back of the head.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Kurtofan posted:

are the takedowns in this game non-lethal? I've started playing this and triangle just punches people on the back of the head.

Progress in the story and you get the traditional hidden blade to do some real murderin'

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Kurtofan posted:

If you don't have the hidden blade or your second weapon is set as the fists, yes, takedowns will just knock out enemies instead of killing them. With that, if an enemy sees their friend writhing in pain, I think they can come over and assist them to get back into working condition, so keep that in mind until you get the hidden blade.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

hiddenriverninja posted:

Progress in the story and you get the traditional hidden blade to do some real murderin'

doh I can't believe I forgot about those.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

All games built around fast travel suffer from this. But its also way more convenient. Its a tough thing to balance.

The other thing is that the game is massively inconsistent about whether quests will send you to the interesting locations in a zone or not, so you don't know whether exploring will have you doubling back later or not.

I'm still really enjoying the game, it's just frustrating to see the lazy Farcry/Ubisoft content techniques marring something that could be Witcher 3 quality.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Alchenar posted:

thats kind of up to you. personally I've spent a lot of time repeatedly exploring many areas of the game, I went to the Roman area several times well before any quests took me there, just because they seemed interesting and since the whole world is open, why not? to me this is one of the best open world games just to explore for explorations sake, especially since you can just slowly ride/sail and chill

its kind of strange to say "you ride through them once and then never again" like this is some automatic way it has to be, it never even occurred to me to play that way. I've visited most major towns in the game a ton of times, as well as a lot of cool tombs and temples out there

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Earwicker posted:

I went to the Roman area several times well before any quests took me there

Speaking of, I noticed that at least one side quest there spoils something that happens in the main quest, which was kind of odd since you get a quest to go to the arena there after completing an earlier part of the main quest. There are a number of side quests that only unlock based on other conditions, so it looks like they messed up and left that one in by mistake.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Alchenar posted:

The other thing is that the game is massively inconsistent about whether quests will send you to the interesting locations in a zone or not, so you don't know whether exploring will have you doubling back later or not.

I'm still really enjoying the game, it's just frustrating to see the lazy Farcry/Ubisoft content techniques marring something that could be Witcher 3 quality.

But W3 had the same problem. The individual quests were great, but the open world exploration was a similar bunch of question marks cluttering the map.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is it possible to drop stones on enemies? The ones hoisted up by cranes? The environmental kills are so far limited to fire.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Alchenar posted:

Which is really sad, because a lot of the areas respond to your return!

RPS did a write up about it, but the game world is very responsive to revisiting previous areas!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Which is really sad, because a lot of the areas respond to your return!

RPS did a write up about it, but the game world is very responsive to revisiting previous areas!

I wish they'd put some kind of way to find old quest givers to check in and see their new dialogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I'd kill for a NG+ in this, even if it starts all the enemies of at level 40 already. Hell, that'd be perfect, even. The game would retain the same difficulty the entire way through but you'd be able to start with all of the bonuses you want already. Maybe some day they'll patch something like that in, but I figure they probably won't because it would make getting item drops really easy and they'd want to make it more difficult to spam buying Heka Chests.