Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Arsenic Lupin posted:

This will never, ever pass the Leg, but wow.

If you listen carefully, you can hear the screaming of every single town on the Peninsula, as well as all of San Francisco, Oakland, and Berkeley. Even if they cut this back to train and light-rail stations only, the Atherton weekend-only Caltrain station is going to vanish so loving fast.

Scott Wiener's been a pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

That seems like a great bill.

Unrelated:

Wow great lede there, Bee

“He announced a run for Feinstein’s seat. Then a harassment scandal broke under his roof.”

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article192859954.html

I also saw a great Facebook comment section on KQED’s page about the San Francisco skyline this morning. People get really mad about tall buildings in the downtown of a major city. “It looks like a penis!!”

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Unrelated:

“He announced a run for Feinstein’s seat. Then a harassment scandal broke under his roof.”

http://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article192859954.html

I also saw a great Facebook comment section on KQED’s page about the San Francisco skyline this morning. People get really mad about tall buildings in the downtown of a major city. “It looks like a penis!!”

Oh boy, no one mention Coit Tower to them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
If I were an evil wizard I'd have my wizard tower be Coit Tower. Provides excellent line of sight for casting Power Word: Piss Stench.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Unrelated:

A lot of old timers are still mad about the "Manhattanization" of of the loving financial district back in the 80s and the subsequent influx of yuppies. As if the Italians in North Beach were thrilled when their dope smoking asses came to their neighborhood back in '58.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

No lie, I'm kinda sad that the Transamerica Pyramid doesn't dominate the skyline any more. Not sad enough that I think it should have been illegal, duh.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I support density but also think the Salesforce tower looks like a giant dick, wouldn't have been built without shameful tax incentives that basically shift costs back onto the city, and is indicative of an overall hosed up approach to development that serves corporations over people.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Baby Babbeh posted:

I support density but also think the Salesforce tower looks like a giant dick, wouldn't have been built without shameful tax incentives that basically shift costs back onto the city, and is indicative of an overall hosed up approach to development that serves corporations over people.

This is why I'm worried when the attitude about housing becomes "do anything we can to make it nice and easy for developers." Investment profit driven housing development is a huge part of the problem that won't go away no matter how many tax breaks or luxury condos the developers get.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I just made my first dispensary visit of the new year, and I'd like to announce that I'm now one of those guys who complains about the tax-and-spend bums in the legislature

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

acksplode posted:

I just made my first dispensary visit of the new year, and I'd like to announce that I'm now one of those guys who complains about the tax-and-spend bums in the legislature

Maybe if we convince Republicans that smoking weed causes conservatism, we can make some progress on this nationally.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

acksplode posted:

you get out of the taxes if you get a medical card

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Here is the important question: can I pay for it with my HRA account?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Do you? My wife has a card and she paid the same as everyone else.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Only county sales taxes, which are a fraction of the total depending on where you buy. The state taxes are the bigger chunk, and they apply to medical as well, no getting out of them. And to bypass the sales tax you need a state-issued medical card, which costs $100+ on top of what you already payed for a medical recommendation from a doctor, and needs to be updated annually along with it. I'd have to buy a lot of weed to save enough on the 8.5% SF sales tax to come out even.

I read up a little on how WA and CO rolled out recreational, and they both also had initially a really high tax rate that they had to bring down to keep people from fleeing for the black market. Boy do I hope that happens here. I am not paying rent in SF so that goddamn Portland can swoop in as the best city in the US for stoners.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also I was reading through a recent DEA report on drug use and they noted that they could only count the number of people who got the state ID and didn't have a count of the people in CA with a medical rec but no ID card.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yeah getting the state ID puts you on a public list, which is maybe not the best thing when Jeff Sessions is running the Justice Department.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

oh dang, well i guess i'm definitely not renewing my recommendation this year then

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

My dad who is / was in the business said that Oregon grew 1 million lbs too much this last year and that the market really bottomed out. He was seeing people trying to off load 1lb for as low as $300.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MarcusSA posted:

My dad who is / was in the business said that Oregon grew 1 million lbs too much this last year and that the market really bottomed out. He was seeing people trying to off load 1lb for as low as $300.
Donate the surplus to disaster relief, take the tax write-off. Win/win.

It occurs to me that in 20 years it's very likely that weed will be just another cash crop like sorghum and tobacco and there will be ag subsidies and price supports and a deep-pocketed DC lobbying operation and USDA extension programs holding classes and publishing pamphlets on the best way to grow and process and sell it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well he said some of them are making “moon rocks” with it which I guess is THC crack? I dunno.

He also got out of growing because a lot of the new grow laws that came in are nuts and his county charges some crazy fees to grow which just encourages people to keep going illegally :shrug:

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MarcusSA posted:

Well he said some of them are making “moon rocks” with it which I guess is THC crack? I dunno.

He also got out of growing because a lot of the new grow laws that came in are nuts and his county charges some crazy fees to grow which just encourages people to keep going illegally :shrug:

Weed soaked in THC oil then rolled in kief. So basically THC crack, yeah.

So what's the outlook for this since Sessions rescinded the Cole Memo today? Are we going to go back in time 10 years to where even the dispensaries that aren't doing shady poo poo are getting raided in the middle of the day?

acksplode
May 17, 2004

lol more like going back 6 years. My only takeaway so far is that weed is still cool and smoking it still means you're freaking out squares and standing up to the man.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

bango skank posted:

So what's the outlook for this since Sessions rescinded the Cole Memo today? Are we going to go back in time 10 years to where even the dispensaries that aren't doing shady poo poo are getting raided in the middle of the day?

Probably gonna have a few raids in California because the Trump admin is babies and we're the biggest target.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Jaxyon posted:

Probably gonna have a few raids in California because the Trump admin is babies and we're the biggest target.

I imagine they'll start up threatening landlords with asset forfeiture (without a trial) of all their properties if they don't kick out all dispensaries, just like they did before.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

bango skank posted:

Not much because the DOJ is prohibited from spending federal money to prosecute marijuana cases due to the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment in appropriations bills. Feds can't spend money to go after cases. If that amendment doesn't get added to the next appropriations bill, then it gets real murky.

https://www.popehat.com/2018/01/04/lawsplainer-attorney-general-sessions-threatened-action-on-marijuana/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Not much because the DOJ is prohibited from spending federal money to prosecute marijuana cases due to the Rohrabacher-Farr amendment in appropriations bills. Feds can't spend money to go after cases. If that amendment doesn't get added to the next appropriations bill, then it gets real murky.

https://www.popehat.com/2018/01/04/lawsplainer-attorney-general-sessions-threatened-action-on-marijuana/

Rohrabacher-Farr only covers medical marijuana activities, DOJ could still take action against recreational businesses.

quote:

As long as Rohrabacher-Farr remains in every federal appropriations bill, Department of Justice policy is mostly symbolic — the Department of Justice will still be prohibited from spending money on prosecuting people for medical marijuana activities that are legal under state laws. (That doesn't limit prosecutions of non-medical personal use activities, though — but it will be difficult to tease them apart.)

They'll search google for some unlicensed at-home nanny and then use that to slam landlords with "proceeds from a drug enterprise within 1,000 of a childcare facility" and it won't even have to go to trial before the business is evicted.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Baby Babbeh posted:

It really does, I don't get the Coit Tower or Transamerica comparison myself, but this even has a slit at the tip and total tumescent shape.

I think as best as possible cities should facilitate large density low-income/market-rate residential buildings even if it means serving corps a little more with tax incentives and things, but yeah this one isn't that. It's mostly commercial with some luxury condos and no BMR/market housing at all, and what is there for condos is very very little. I'm not sure that new non-groundfloor commercial space is even the most important thing to be building right now, we have a bunch of vacant suites in our building and neighboring buildings in the financial district, though I guess bigcorps need that double-digit floors level of consolidated space so I guess their options are more limited.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

ShutteredIn posted:

Scott Wiener's been a pleasant surprise.
IIRC he was very pro-housing and pro-transit as an SF Supervisor, so why is it a surprise?

I guess I could see surprisingly effective, he seems to be getting more poo poo done in the Senate, probably because of a lower percentage of pretend-progressive NIMBY assholes compared to SF.

edit: Wiener is the loving man: https://medium.com/@Scott_Wiener/california-needs-a-housing-first-agenda-my-2018-housing-package-1b6fe95e41da
Besides the already-mentioned bill mandating higher zoning minimums near transit, in that blog post he also announced two other housing bills:

quote:

SB 828— RHNA Reform: Relying on Data, Not Politics, in Projecting Housing Needs

The Regional Housing Needs Assessment (RHNA), which is how California determines how much housing each local community should build, is based on a flawed methodology that significantly underestimates population growth and how much housing will be needed. In addition, the current RHNA allocation process is non-standardized, insufficiently connected to actual data, and highly politicized, thus giving some communities advantages when assigning state housing goals. Too often wealthier and more politically connected areas are able to pressure for lower housing allocations, while lower-income areas receive higher housing allocations. This pushes a disproportionate amount of development into lower-income communities.

SB 828 creates a clearer, fairer, more data-driven, and more equitable process for how the state and regional bodies assign RHNA numbers to local communities. It does so by requiring a more data-focused, objective process and by creating stronger guardrails, thus reducing the wiggle room jurisdictions use to lower their RHNA allocations. SB 828 also requires communities to begin making up for past RHNA deficits. California has a huge housing deficit due to years of under-production, and we need to dig out of that hole.

SB 829— Expanding Farmworker Housing While Maintaining Strong Worker Protections

The state’s housing shortage isn’t just an urban problem — it affects rural areas, particularly those that depend on agriculture. Many farms have surplus land that could be used to build safe and secure housing for farmworkers, but the land needs to be rezoned. Unfortunately, this rezoning is often blocked by communities that don’t want housing for farmworkers. This leads farmworkers to be housed in unsafe and crowded conditions, like in distant motels or in their cars, and hurts our ability to draw workers to California’s farms.

SB 829 creates a by-right process where farm owners and operators can dedicate agricultural land for employee housing. The owner of the housing will finance and develop it by-right, provided it meets certain objective standards. The housing must to be operated and managed by an independent non-profit to ensure that the worker-tenants have protections from employer intimidation, and workers will receive strict tenant, labor, and immigration protections.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 5, 2018

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Oroville Spillway Forensic Report is out

Executive summary:

quote:

The Oroville Dam spillway incident was caused by a long-term systemic failure of the California Department of Water Resources (DWR), regulatory, and general industry practices to recognize and address inherent spillway design and construction weaknesses, poor bedrock quality, and deteriorated service spillway chute conditions. The incident cannot reasonably be “blamed” mainly on any one individual, group, or organization.

During service spillway operation on February 7, 2017, water injection through both cracks and joints in the chute slab resulted in uplift forces beneath the slab that exceeded the uplift capacity and structural strength of the slab, at a location along the steep section of the chute. The uplifted slab section exposed the underlying poor quality foundation rock at that location to unexpected severe erosion, resulting in removal of additional slab sections and more erosion.

Responding to the damage to the service spillway chute necessitated difficult risk tradeoffs while the lake continued to rise. The resulting decisions, made without a full understanding of relative uncertainties and consequences, allowed the reservoir level to rise above the emergency spillway weir for the first time in the project’s history, leading to severe and rapid erosion downstream of the weir and, ultimately, the evacuation order.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
I'll have to read it for some fun bedtime reading.

Bob Bea's report is pretty good.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz1I1mIutSEnbFJuVUJZWWNNVlU/view

But yeah real reason was when they were funding the SWP, they (Pat Brown (jerry's dad), et. al) didn't actually know how much it would cost and thought $2.75 billion would be nice attractive number to the voters on the ballot than the $6+ billion it really would have costed. So poo poo was super rushed, overbudget and made cheaply, and they knew it and figured they'd get the money to fix it and rebuild this poo poo later. lol that never happened.

Anyways i'm evaluating a lot of spillways right now. Should be a fun year! It's kinda crazy some of the stuff they did that is a real headscratcher right now and of course no one is alive to ask about it.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 6, 2018

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FCKGW posted:

Thanks for the link, that was an informative read.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The report has a lot to say about DWR's organization and internal culture as well as about the regulatory environment and the dam engineering industry in general. It will be interesting to see if/how DWR/DSOD get rearranged. I spent a few months on the project and it makes a good point of reference to calm me down when I run up against my own employer's bureaucracy.

Physical causes are pretty much exactly what everyone expected (Bob Bea excepted, I think he lost his mind this year).

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
One good thing about working for a small business, no bureaucracy. bad thing about working in a small business: most of my time is spent in illustrator fixing up plaxis output and drafting up old as-built and other graphical proposal poo poo like org charts, etc. Also gently caress writing proposals.

Anyways I doubt DSOD is going to get rearranged. They're mostly putting out lots of requests for evaluations to pretend to be more proactive and will probably ramp up periodic inspections and adjust periodic inspections to be more detailed. I was reading inspection reports for the past 40 years at a lot of east bay dams and its all "looks good, no signs of problems. get rid of some vegetation" (which they cant actually get rid of because environmental reasons lol) and generally do not look that closely.

My experience with DSOD is generally alright, we occasionally butt up against a new junior hotshot that wants to prove themself and requires a shitload of work and convincing for no real reason, others that are reasonably responsive with their own independent reasnable analysis for comparison, and some that just go AWOL for 6 months.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Cross-posting from the state and local politics thread: Sacramento's mayor is extremely :black101:

https://twitter.com/Mayor_Steinberg/status/948988941364965376

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

So much cognitive dissonance in the comments to that :psyduck:

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
The CA GOP are concerned that they’ll gently caress themselves out of being on the governors ballot this year like they did with the senate last election by running too many candidates in the jungle primary (leading to the top two vote getters both being democrats), so that’s good.

https://twitter.com/latseema/status/950113359478767616

Fill Baptismal fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 8, 2018

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

some dipshit posted:

Mayor Steinberg, Californians never voted to make CA a Sanctuary State.Democratic lawmakers decided to force this down our throats.Travis Allen calling for the Federal Govt. to sue CA.I hope POTUS does this ASAP.I thank God for Thomas Homan!
Uhhh except Californians voted for the Democratic lawmakers who made CA a sanctuary state, you dumb sack of un-Christian garbage. That's how a representative democracy works. Read a loving booooook

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

No, you see representative democracy is only legitimate when it's my party in power. Just like Big Governmenttm federal overreach is only an issue when it's the other guys.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
Probation
Can't post for 35 hours!

themrguy posted:

The CA GOP are concerned that they’ll gently caress themselves out of being on the governors ballot this year like they did with the senate last election by running too many candidates in the jungle primary (leading to the top two vote getters both being democrats), so that’s good.

https://twitter.com/latseema/status/950113359478767616

Doesn't matter who they run they have zero chance of getting the governor's seat.

I'm more concerned that the Democratic candidates are kinda lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO GAVIN