Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Willie Tomg posted:

That they haven't made that obvious step is representative of America's dirty little secret, unspoken in even the darkest halls of power: the subscribers to the medieval ideology we've at all turns failed to defeat for twenty years now are actually not very quick on the uptake it turns out

They showed a lot of tactical flexibility early in the war, when they were capturing cities left and right, but actually holding territory bogged them down and calcified them in some ways. The experiments they and HTS have done with drones more recently as desperation has set in seem very likely to spread beyond the region though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

We have that already, it's called smart missiles / smart bombs / smart shells.

If you consider all those four things to be the same thing in military / technological terms, then sure. But then, we've had gunpowder for 700 years or so and all technological innovations are actually just based on stuff we already knew and therefore aren't worth discussing and won't change anything since change is constant and life is a river.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The implementation was at its peak when ISIS was at its height geopolitically, and civil manufacturing bases were repurpused. Even then, they were making bombs out of badminton shuttlecocks. Their capabilities are only going to trend downwards as they've lost almost everything.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

OctaMurk posted:

Uh, they have made the obvious atep. Or did you forget all those articles about ISIS using dozens of drones to drop mortars all the loving time during Mosul and Raqqa?

I have seen lots of incidences of one-off strikes by last-stand holdouts operating apparently independently, but not an implementation in a larger tactical operation. ISIS didn't invent the idea of A Carbomb, But Bigger, And Armored, their innovation was integrating terror weapons used by dissidents into solving the tactical problem of guerilla light infantry being really bad at taking fortified positions. It was so goddamned effective it took the fullness of American airpower to stop it before ISIS overran two countries backed by two international sponsors.

Someday, somebody (other than american special forces) is gonna figure out that a guy or two operating coordinated flights of armed UAVs is a problem with no easy solution, and I really hope the people who do so don't also believe homosexuality is a capital crime.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

OctaMurk posted:

Uh, they have made the obvious atep. Or did you forget all those articles about ISIS using dozens of drones to drop mortars all the loving time during Mosul and Raqqa?

Yeah, it made a huge splash back when it first became a recurring thing. Producing improvised bomb dropping drones is a good example, adjacent to VBIEDS, of something that is actually completely obvious but has also impacted the tactical picture of the Iraqi-Syrian battlefield in a large way.

But that kind of drone is different from both the tiny kamikaze drone and especially the "smart drones" being discussed above.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Technology is a klesha anicca, an illusion of change in the world. There is in reality no change in the world because there is actually nothing to change. I've given up the harmful idea that technology can progress incrementally and achieved ideological samsara.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lollontee posted:

If you consider all those four things to be the same thing in military / technological terms, then sure. But then, we've had gunpowder for 700 years or so and all technological innovations are actually just based on stuff we already knew and therefore aren't worth discussing and won't change anything since change is constant and life is a river.

They form sort of a hierarchy / tree of contextually specialized methods of accurately delivering payload at a distance, small grenade carrying drones may be strictly speaking a new technology, but they provide no benefit over the previous ones, they do not form a new specialized branch of the tree, and are only practical as a last ditch effort where more sophisticated and much, much more cost efficient weapons are not available, so they are hardly a military revolution. Full-fledged armies have vastly better weapon systems, and insurgents don't have the capacity to utilize them in a way that would matter much - while drones get publicity, the actual heavy hitters of insurgency bombardments are mortars and missiles.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 7, 2018

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

They form sort of a hierarchy / tree of contextually specialized methods of accurately delivering payload at a distance, small grenade carrying drones may be strictly speaking a new technology, but they provide no benefit over the previous ones, they do not form a new specialized branch of the tree, and are only practical as a last ditch effort where more sophisticated and much, much more cost efficient weapons are not available, so they are hardly a military revolution. Full-fledged armies have vastly better weapon systems, and insurgents don't have the capacity to utilize them in a way that would matter much - while drones get publicity, the actual heavy hitters of insurgency bombardments are mortars and missiles.

That may be true on a battlefield, but as a means of assassination and/or terrorism we definitely haven't remotely seen what the damage small drones may have the potential to do.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

They form sort of a hierarchy / tree of contextually specialized methods of accurately delivering payload at a distance, small grenade carrying drones may be strictly speaking a new technology, but they provide no benefit over the previous ones, they do not form a new specialized branch of the tree, and are only practical as a last ditch effort where more sophisticated and efficient weapons are not available, so they are hardly a military revolution. Full-fledged armies have vastly better weapon systems, and insurgents don't have the capacity to utilize them in a way that would matter much - while drones get publicity, the actual heavy hitters of insurgency bombardments are mortars and missiles.

An autonomous drone 1/100th the cost of a guided missile, or whatever comparison you wanna draw, that fulfills the same purpose is in of itself a military revolution. Whether imperial armies drowning funding choose to adopt them first isn't relevant. It's always been the question of how cheap you can arm a single soldier that has changed history, not who's got the heaviest plate armour or the biggest tank.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lollontee posted:

An autonomous drone 1/100th the cost of a guided missile, or whatever comparison you wanna draw, that fulfills the same purpose is in of itself a military revolution. Whether imperial armies drowning funding choose to adopt them first isn't relevant. It's always been the question of how cheap you can arm a single soldier that has changed history, not who's got the heaviest plate armour or the biggest tank.

Individual grenade drones are too weak to be considered missile equivalents, AFAIK the cases of big, successful hits circulating on social media were very much freak occurrences. In a scenario of an insurgency capable of manufacturing any weapons on a mass scale, equipping a squad with simple mortars or other artillery would give them much more indirect firepower. Though I guess if, and it's a huge if, the insurgents were able to truly get pinpoint accuracy and target acquisition down, that might change - on the other hand, at that point we would probably be talking about prohibitively sophisticated technology for insurgent guerrillas...

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

They do provide unique benefits though.

A drone, unlike a mortar or a missile, can loiter quietly over a battlefield, observing before it delivers its payload. Drones are small and maneuverable-- a good pilot could guide one inside a building, or around city streets.

As Sinteres mentions, they're great for assassination. A drone carrying a small explosive could potentially find and kill a single person without killing those around him.

The fact that they're cheap is also probably revolutionary. A state could provide a large number of cheap, modified drones to some rebel group as a way to dramatically increase the rebel's fighting power.

And dismissing drones because they don't do as much damage as mortars and missiles is absurd. Tanks in WW1 did an insignificant amount of damage compared to other weapons systems-- that certainly didn't reflect on their usefulness, or how valuable they would become.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sinteres posted:

The conspiracy theory about MBS being a goon may have been confirmed:

https://twitter.com/swin24/status/950078625205932032

Let's all hope that with proper medication Al-Saqr can retain control and become the dominant personality again.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Mostly it's new, and therefore unusual, so it has a psychological impact disproportionate to its purely tactical impact.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Cat Mattress posted:

Mostly it's new, and therefore unusual, so it has a psychological impact disproportionate to its purely tactical impact.

That makes it ideal for terrorism.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Count Roland posted:

And dismissing drones because they don't do as much damage as mortars and missiles is absurd. Tanks in WW1 did an insignificant amount of damage compared to other weapons systems-- that certainly didn't reflect on their usefulness, or how valuable they would become.

You don't even have to get that syllogistic with it. The first close air support in human history was literally dudes acting alone under no particular order, chucking live grenades and mortars over the side of the cockpit while flying over trenches doing recon. The Stuka was developed less than two decades later, under strict sanctions no less.

This is not an abstract concern.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 7, 2018

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I'd be curious of the comparable difficulty of being trained to use drones vs training to properly direct mortar fire with any kind of accuracy. Losing trained people is always a problem for irregular forces and I would think it's a lot easier to train drone operation especially for young people used to tech. Drone flying also gets tech improvements to make it easier all the time while I think mortars are pretty much what they've always been. That's only a plus for insurgents if you are drawing recruits from a pool of people already trained in their use.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

at that point we would probably be talking about prohibitively sophisticated technology for insurgent guerrillas...

Would we now.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

A drone with a bomb acts as its own spotter and provides a tool for live aerial surveillance. It can find and attack a normally well concealed target without risking the lives of the operators and simultaneously providing live intel on the enemy.

In some ways that is a much more powerful tool than a mortar. In other ways the mortar is better - for directly supporting infantry a mortar has much greater volume of fire with a much larger payload and higher rate of fire.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

I have seen lots of incidences of one-off strikes by last-stand holdouts operating apparently independently, but not an implementation in a larger tactical operation. ISIS didn't invent the idea of A Carbomb, But Bigger, And Armored, their innovation was integrating terror weapons used by dissidents into solving the tactical problem of guerilla light infantry being really bad at taking fortified positions. It was so goddamned effective it took the fullness of American airpower to stop it before ISIS overran two countries backed by two international sponsors.

Someday, somebody (other than american special forces) is gonna figure out that a guy or two operating coordinated flights of armed UAVs is a problem with no easy solution, and I really hope the people who do so don't also believe homosexuality is a capital crime.

I think you downplaying the sophistication of ISIS use of uav systems. I mean, if you've seen 'lots' of incidents, isn't it contradictory to call them 'one-off?' That they were last-stands is an unfair criticism because one could characterize all recent ISIS tactics as such, and unless you work for the NSA I doubt you have anyway of knowing if they were conducted independently. Anyway, during Mosul I remember seeing the pictures of an ISIS uav factory full of dozens of airframes and motors and other components.

They were absolutely produced and employed systematically and their distribution of the same mortar delivery system across several fronts is pretty clear proof of that. Before posting this I checked for the pictures I remembered and couldn't find them, but found pictures from at least three other uav assembly centers Raqqa, Mosul and some other place.

The threat of UAVs is well known by military people around the world. Though for those concerned with conventional warfare their ability to deliver small amounts of ordinance is not the principle concern. Rather it is their ability to find targets for the serious artillery, which can then drop massive amounts of high explosive on a target before it can even realize it's been targeted. One goon officer guy was saying that the US army needed to get back to traditional methods of camouflage and concealment. Probably in future insurgencies uavs will become more common but it's hard to predict specific consequences or what counter-tactics will be effective.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/euamiri/status/949668289646559232

http://www.middleeasteye.net/news/2000-afghans-killed-in-syria-fighting-for--bashar-al-assad-says-official-769805655

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Warbadger posted:

In some ways that is a much more powerful tool than a mortar. In other ways the mortar is better - for directly supporting infantry a mortar has much greater volume of fire with a much larger payload and higher rate of fire.

Also, a mortar can't be shot out of the air with an assault rifle much less any heavy armament.

The advantage of a drone is when you can attack a vulnerable relatively static target. In the case of the Russian base, they almost certainly need to put more funding into lighting and point defense.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

lollontee posted:

Would we now.

Yes, considering it's something major militaries have been unable to implement with billions of dollars worth of research into sensors, software etc.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

steinrokkan posted:

Yes, considering it's something major militaries have been unable to implement with billions of dollars worth of research into sensors, software etc.

Well go on, consider it for us then. Make an argument already, jesus loving christ. What do these mystical billions out there in major military fantasyland have to do with AI programming?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Listen if the procurement regime responsible for the F-22 and F-35 can't swing it, it just ain't possible let alone feasible. Best to avoid the subject entirely.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

ISIS showed some real ingenuity in their inventions during their defense of Mosul such as massed drone attacks on Iraqi forces, rocket equipped up armored svbieds and some sort of one shot RPG that was mass produced with plastic, possibly even 3d printed parts. They also had plenty of weird attacks that even included a roomba sized RC car on treads with an explosive strapped to it that they directed with drones. In the defense of Raqqa they also employed a two person svbied where the second person used a machine gun mounted on top of the vehicle to break deeper into SDF positions and prevent them from using weaponry to knock the svbied out of commission. As I was watching these things appear it all struck me as 'proof of concept' and they were very much moves of desperation or last moments of ingenuity but, aside from the panzerfaust clone or the drone production facility, none of it seemed organized.

Wherever and whenever the next real war arrives it is going to be an absolute nightmare. The advances we've seen in this war will be mass manufactured just like how ISIS turned vehicle repair shops into svbied assembly lines (originally seeen in Fallujah around 2004 iirc). I imagine the next generation of vehicle based suicide attacks will make 'drive towards the enemy then blow up' seem primitive.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Honestly I'm surprised we haven't yet seen ISIS style UAVs employed by the Houthis or Taliban yet. Taliban should easily be able to import commercial equipment from Pakistan, I would think. They probably have much less of the engineering education and experience IS had.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Squalid posted:

Honestly I'm surprised we haven't yet seen ISIS style UAVs employed by the Houthis or Taliban yet. Taliban should easily be able to import commercial equipment from Pakistan, I would think. They probably have much less of the engineering education and experience IS had.

If anything, they probably have more, but Taliban is operating a bona fide military these days, so they have plenty of resources to hit the Afghan military even without glorified paper planes.

Brother Friendship posted:

ISIS showed some real ingenuity in their inventions during their defense of Mosul such as massed drone attacks on Iraqi forces, rocket equipped up armored svbieds and some sort of one shot RPG that was mass produced with plastic, possibly even 3d printed parts. They also had plenty of weird attacks that even included a roomba sized RC car on treads with an explosive strapped to it that they directed with drones. In the defense of Raqqa they also employed a two person svbied where the second person used a machine gun mounted on top of the vehicle to break deeper into SDF positions and prevent them from using weaponry to knock the svbied out of commission. As I was watching these things appear it all struck me as 'proof of concept' and they were very much moves of desperation or last moments of ingenuity but, aside from the panzerfaust clone or the drone production facility, none of it seemed organized.

Wherever and whenever the next real war arrives it is going to be an absolute nightmare. The advances we've seen in this war will be mass manufactured just like how ISIS turned vehicle repair shops into svbied assembly lines (originally seeen in Fallujah around 2004 iirc). I imagine the next generation of vehicle based suicide attacks will make 'drive towards the enemy then blow up' seem primitive.

Vehicular IED are definitely the scary lesson of these wars, and I suspect the most productive role of drones will be to guide these larger weapons with a bird's view, instead of carrying weapons themselves.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 8, 2018

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
First you kill Saddam
Then you take Iraq
Then you lose control
And Isis takes it back

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

If anything, they probably have more, but Taliban is operating a bona fide military these days, so they have plenty of resources to hit the Afghan military even without glorified paper planes.

Vehicular IED are definitely the scary lesson of these wars, and I suspect the most productive role of drones will be to guide these larger weapons with a bird's view, instead of carrying weapons themselves.

Yeah the Taliban are using them as spotters already, but they haven't started using them to actually deliver bombs yet. If they did though I doubt remote Afghan army outposts are going to have the kind of sophisticated electronic counters necessary to stop them.

FP posted:

NATO no longer has a monopoly on drones on the battlefields of Afghanistan. Because now insurgents are using them.

“In the past, seeing a UAV once or twice a month would be normal,” spokesman for the U.S.-led NATO coalition in Afghanistan Capt. William Salvin told Stars and Stripes, using the acronym for unmanned aerial vehicles. “Now, we’re seeing them once or twice a week.”

The drones are small, commercial-use and cheap. But they’re effective. With eyes in the sky, insurgents can conduct spy on coalition forces and target them in mortar attacks with real-time live feeds of the battlefield. In October, the Taliban even used a drone to record a suicide bombing attack for propaganda purposes.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Drones are already ubiquitous for svbied attacks and I wouldn't underestimate their role when armed with even simple bombs.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f95_1508870273&comments=1

There is no reason not to use them to every possible purpose. I get this feeling that they're going to be as universal as an RPG in another decade where you simply aren't even a basic military unit without access to one. At some time in the past year there was a mass shooting (in the USA of course lmao) where the shooter was heavily armed so the police used a flying drone to get close to the guy and then it just detonated itself (I think, they didn't exactly release too much info). ISIS also had a suicide drone but that was more like 'we have this thing, just strap a bomb on it and throw it at the Iraqi army'

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

At some time in the past year there was a mass shooting (in the USA of course lmao) where the shooter was heavily armed so the police used a flying drone to get close to the guy and then it just detonated itself (I think, they didn't exactly release too much info

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/07/08/485262777/for-the-first-time-police-used-a-bomb-robot-to-kill

I believe you're thinking of this, which is another good example of a mostly untrained militia doing a little improvising by strapping a bigger bomb to their (on tracks) bomb robot

Anta
Mar 5, 2007

What a nice day for a gassing

Drones are already ubiquitous for svbied attacks and I wouldn't underestimate their role when armed with even simple bombs.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f95_1508870273&comments=1

There is no reason not to use them to every possible purpose. I get this feeling that they're going to be as universal as an RPG in another decade where you simply aren't even a basic military unit without access to one. At some time in the past year there was a mass shooting (in the USA of course lmao) where the shooter was heavily armed so the police used a flying drone to get close to the guy and then it just detonated itself (I think, they didn't exactly release too much info). ISIS also had a suicide drone but that was more like 'we have this thing, just strap a bomb on it and throw it at the Iraqi army'

No, that was a bomb disposal robot. It drove up and disposed a bomb at the guy.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Bohemian Nights posted:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/07/08/485262777/for-the-first-time-police-used-a-bomb-robot-to-kill

I believe you're thinking of this, which is another good example of a mostly untrained militia doing a little improvising by strapping a bigger bomb to their (on tracks) bomb robot

that wasn't a mass shooting, it was very targeted and against non-civilian targets.

Brother Friendship
Jul 12, 2013

HorrificExistence posted:

that wasn't a mass shooting, it was very targeted and against non-civilian targets.

That is what I was thinking of and it seems I was wrong about it being a flying drone. I didn't realize he only targeted the police because I do my best to avoid stories of violence even when they catch my interest such as in this case. While I follow the SCW I do my best to strictly focus on the non human aspects of it for my own mental health.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
My sunnI Coworker Says Iran has nukes.

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

Mr Hootington posted:

My sunnI Coworker Says Iran has nukes.

I think it is hilarious that the US has basically the same views on Iran as ISIS

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

HorrificExistence posted:

I think it is hilarious that the US has basically the same views on Iran as ISIS

That and explaining why shia's are wrong are the most animated i have ever seen him.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

That and explaining why shia's are wrong are the most animated i have ever seen him.

Wrong? This guy a sunni?

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

ISIS was carbombing 10,000 Iraqi civilians to death per year before they overran a single mile of territory. I expect this is going to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So I plan to join the fray in the middle east a second time and im torn between joining the IDF and the YPG, which do you guys think a god fearing trump supporter like myself would fit in better. I do feel fancy in an Ushanka, but I guess Syria is pretty warm.

Now I have jewish grandparents so Im golden on getting into the IDF. If they let me become an infantry officer I will attempt to create a culture culminating in naming my platoon Goon Platoon. ty in advasnce

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)