Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
This was in the recommended videos and is related to First Contact chat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7h7Mfe8BDw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Martok the Wise posted:

When father and son do not speak, it means there is trouble between them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Aww, the first actor who played Alexander has died. He was only 33 :(

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Aww jeez that sucks

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004
That is not the Alexander actor I pictured dying first.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Michael Dorn attend the funeral :smithmouth:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Michael Dorn attend the funeral :smithmouth:

And bring a dozen long-stemmed Rozhenkos

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

All access is now going to be available as an Amazon add on channel. Initially only the $10 commercial free tier is there, but they will add the $5.99 commercial free one later.

This is good as one of my gripes with all access was the apps and quality. Amazon makes the value proposition much better.

http://variety.com/2018/digital/news/cbs-all-access-amazon-prime-channel-1202654346/

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Yeah I don't want 47 subscriptions in separate apps on my TV. I'm still not big on All Access or Discovery, but if I were, this would be a somewhat easier pill to swallow.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's how I handle my premium channels. I add the sub for a few months to watch whatever and then remove it until something else comes up. I still think $2 more a month than Showtime is a racket. However, this also means that Discovery will likely have 5.1 audio and decent bitrate now!

I'm not opposed to paying for quality, but all access though their own app was way over priced. Now, this is slightly over priced. But the quality should be such that I may be able to stomach it.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Yeah I don't want 47 subscriptions in separate apps on my TV. I'm still not big on All Access or Discovery, but if I were, this would be a somewhat easier pill to swallow.

This isn't me throwing shade in any way but I remember people screaming for a la carte pricing about 5-10 years ago and how bundles needed to go away. Then some monkey's paw poo poo happened and now look where we are. I'd certainly be interested to see if Amazon's app delivers better quality than the CBS one because that thing is just wretched sometimes. It's a shame because Discovery for all of it's flaws looks really drat gorgeous sometimes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ala carte doesn't necessarily mean scattered providers though.

My perfect world would have Amazon channels for all the major networks.

Give me an NBCU channel that gives me Syfy and USA programming. Give me a Viacom one that gives Comedy Central give me a Fo....ahem... Disney Amazon channel for FX and FXX. Etc.

I do have a skinny bundle with FiOS right now and it's fantastic since I can opt out of all the sports channels and their associated fees. Too bad about image quality though which has been in the pits lately.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jan 5, 2018

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Totally forgot about that awesome cat in Assignment: Earth

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Totally forgot about that awesome cat in Assignment: Earth

Shame that the name has been tarnished forever. Assignment Earth is a fascinating little thing to watch though, if only for the casual time travel by the Enterprise crew to set up the premise. It also reminds me a little bit of Saphire and Steel which is always fun.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Just thought I should post this here: Irish People Watch Star Trek For The First Time

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Q_res posted:

Yes, a Cube would strip each planet in star system entirely bare (it would actually ruin the planet so it was less valuable if you tried to recolonize later) one-by-one and spawn a new Cube once it wiped out the whole system. Which was awesome, because it would take BoBW sized fleets to beat a single Cube. Unless you were the Romulans, or sufficiently teched up Klingons.
You could clown everything in that game with a fleet of Defiants. They were insanely overpowered.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

FlamingLiberal posted:

You could clown everything in that game with a fleet of Defiants. They were insanely overpowered.

If you were playing as the Borg, I think three cubes would annihilate anything in sight because of their assimilation tech and ridiculous regeneration speed.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
A bunch of people in this thread called / wished for this: Seth MacFarlane says season 2 of The Orville will probably be more straightforward sci-fi and not try so hard for comedy all the time. So yeah, he pretty much Trojan Horsed a new Star Trek show onto Fox.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm trying the 3 day trial of All-Access through amazon. The quality is quite a bit better than CBS's streams AND you get 5.1 audio.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

bull3964 posted:

I'm trying the 3 day trial of All-Access through amazon. The quality is quite a bit better than CBS's streams AND you get 5.1 audio.

Well that'll be me changing over then

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Sir Lemming posted:

A bunch of people in this thread called / wished for this: Seth MacFarlane says season 2 of The Orville will probably be more straightforward sci-fi and not try so hard for comedy all the time. So yeah, he pretty much Trojan Horsed a new Star Trek show onto Fox.

Good on 'im, I wouldn't expect a network to actually put on 90s style TV without some sort of trickery or misdirection.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Timby posted:

If you were playing as the Borg, I think three cubes would annihilate anything in sight because of their assimilation tech and ridiculous regeneration speed.

The Borg weren't playable in Birth of the Federation

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Q_res posted:

The Borg weren't playable in Birth of the Federation

I was thinking of Armada

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Sir Lemming posted:

Yesssss

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

"I liked it!"

"Would you watch [Discovery] again?"

"No!"

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Timby posted:

I was thinking of Armada

My best memories of Armada were boarding and taking over Borg ships as the Klingons (who are just as good in boarding actions as the Borg in that game) and getting a fleet of cubes shouting "I THIRST FOR BATTLE!" and "Till STO-VO-KOR!" when I clicked on them.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Sir Lemming posted:

That's really good news. I'm not a fan of most of Seth MacFarlane's work, but I like The Orville and this is a really solid bit of introspection about the series:

quote:

Tone was the biggest experimental part of it. What we found was that we can lean a little more heavier into the science fiction and not have to worry so much about knocking out a joke every page. The show is an hour and really can and wants to service its storytelling in a way that makes it a priority. The jokes come as they come, the comedy comes as it comes.

The biggest problem with the show isn't even that the humor is bad, it's just that it outside of a few moments that mostly revolve around Bortus it never feels organic. It was obvious they felt like they needed to meet some kind of jokes per scene quota, and dialing that back is great. I'm excited for season two.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

This Disco episode was my favorite mirror universe episode. Fight me.

XBenedict fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 8, 2018

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I am watching through tng for the first time. It is good, I enjoyed the episode with will and Thomas that I just watched. Borg are scary. I don't like Wesley. Worf and Data are the best. Gawron also rocks. My hot takes.
Besides this I've seen scattered voyager, enterprise, and all of discovery.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Tunicate posted:

Borg cubes are all greebly on the outside because they just slap the crunched-up remains on whatever ships they kill on the outer hull and start wiring them up to experiment.

That would have been great to see in BoBW Pt 2, if the cube was covered in scavenged wreckage of Starfleet ships from Wolf 359.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Senor Tron posted:

That would have been great to see in BoBW Pt 2, if the cube was covered in scavenged wreckage of Starfleet ships from Wolf 359.

Shatner's (ghostwriter's) book The Return was dumb in a lot of ways but one cool thing was where it described a Borg cube after a big Wolf 359-level battle and it looked just like this. The surface was covered in a bunch of wrecked hulks attached to the hull in various stages of assimilation, from being swarmed over by drones like ants in the early stages of breakdown to just vaguely hull-shaped blobs of panels and conduits melding into the cube's mass.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

RC Cola posted:

I am watching through tng for the first time. It is good, I enjoyed the episode with will and Thomas that I just watched. Borg are scary. I don't like Wesley. Worf and Data are the best. Gawron also rocks. My hot takes.

Gowron is pretty cool for his chihuahua eyes, but if you want to meet a really cool Klingon, watch DS9 and introduce yourself to General Martok.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Gowron is pretty cool for his chihuahua eyes, but if you want to meet a really cool Klingon, watch DS9 and introduce yourself to General Martok.

Martok is awesome. His wife is awesome. His kid's a jerk.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Martok is the best Klingon in all of Star Trek

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

McSpanky posted:

Shatner's (ghostwriter's) book The Return was dumb in a lot of ways but one cool thing was where it described a Borg cube after a big Wolf 359-level battle and it looked just like this. The surface was covered in a bunch of wrecked hulks attached to the hull in various stages of assimilation, from being swarmed over by drones like ants in the early stages of breakdown to just vaguely hull-shaped blobs of panels and conduits melding into the cube's mass.

Now that's fan art I would like to see.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

RC Cola posted:

Seriously watch DS9.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Spoeank posted:

Martok is the best Klingon in all of Star Trek

Only competition is the Klingon chef.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Kahless is the best Klingon.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Kahless is the best Klingon.

Who's that again? I forgot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

You have no honour.