Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Is Signal the Rats even legal in Modern now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Rinkles posted:

Got any more thoughts to add to that?

If six mana 6/6 Plague Wind is a card that is playable, it is not worth playing that format, because it will devolve into whoever gets their six mana Plague Wind off first. Even people playing creatureless decks to try to get around it still have to face a 6/6, it's not like it's just a dead card.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Hellsau posted:

If six mana 6/6 Plague Wind is a card that is playable, it is not worth playing that format, because it will devolve into whoever gets their six mana Plague Wind off first. Even people playing creatureless decks to try to get around it still have to face a 6/6, it's not like it's just a dead card.

It's a little more expensive than that, but I can't say I know how it'll play out.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

FWIW I really can't think of any other decks with the win conditon of making your opponent fall asleep. Old Miracles is the closest I can think of but that was like, plan D and was reliant on already having the best card in your deck in play and putting 3 copies of a garbage enchantment in your deck. Every other prison deck has a way to win the game in a reasonable amount of time before they draw out of it.

It's also really funny to slow roll (NOT slow play) Lantern players so they waste a bunch of time. Remember that you can win a game in 5 minutes and they can't. It's even funnier on MTGO.

Floch's Elixir/Rev which everyone here loves. Its just the perception of being locked out by lovely commons compared to being locked out by infinite counters

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Firebatgyro posted:

Floch's Elixir/Rev which everyone here loves. Its just the perception of being locked out by lovely commons compared to being locked out by infinite counters

Ah, right, the 4th most miserable deck in history to lose to. Let's be honest though, you got locked out by EOT draw 5, gain 5 followed by destroy everything in play.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It’s because it’s not fun to sit down and then not play. It’s not a hard concept.

Playing a deck like that just takes a certain type of mentality. Lantern sees less play because people don’t have the stomach to be the Fun Police in every game you play.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Top 4’d a pptq today.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Firebatgyro posted:

I always assumed the lack of wincon was because he took advantage of the fact people don’t play it out when it got to the state at which one player is totally locked out.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
Yeah the issue with Lantern is really just the game play it generates is quite bad

Recall that Second Sunrise was banned for much the same reason

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

sit on my Facebook posted:

Yeah the issue with Lantern is really just the game play it generates is quite bad

Recall that Second Sunrise was banned for much the same reason

Second sunrise was banned because it generated 20 minute turns, its not remotely the same thing

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

Firebatgyro posted:

Second sunrise was banned because it generated 20 minute turns, its not remotely the same thing

It's preeeeetty close tho, the fundamental similarity being that when the card/strategy in question is involved, a 2-player game of Magic generally does not transpire

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

FWIW I really can't think of any other decks with the win conditon of making your opponent fall asleep. Old Miracles is the closest I can think of but that was like, plan D and was reliant on already having the best card in your deck in play and putting 3 copies of a garbage enchantment in your deck. Every other prison deck has a way to win the game in a reasonable amount of time before they draw out of it.

It's also really funny to slow roll (NOT slow play) Lantern players so they waste a bunch of time. Remember that you can win a game in 5 minutes and they can't. It's even funnier on MTGO.

Jeskai Ascendancy.

Seriously, I played against a dude in Modern playing that. He wouldn't talk to me, he just had headphones on the whole time as he comboed off for like 35 minutes in one turn, and I had to let him do it because of the chance of him loving up or fizzling.

That's boring. That's a literal waste of my time. gently caress people who play decks like that.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
1 Player games is the point of like 50% of eternal decks. 2ndSunrise was banned because it caused rounds to run over time

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
If you want to play a 1 player game, stay at home and goldfish your dumb deck. If you're not interacting with your opponent, you're not even playing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Matsuri posted:

If you want to play a 1 player game, stay at home and goldfish your dumb deck. If you're not interacting with your opponent, you're not even playing.

Isn't Lantern the deck that interacts with 100% of opposing cards literally by design?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

ZeroCount posted:

What about playing a deck that can win through an Ensnaring Bridge?

I love playing against lantern, especially when I'm playing 8 rack.

"Oh you don't want cards? Awesome!"

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

Isn't Lantern the deck that interacts with 100% of opposing cards literally by design?

You're interacting with your opponent's cards, not your opponent.

Because your opponent can't loving do anything but sigh and pass.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Toshimo posted:

Lantern is also a deck that completely shits on the notion of "fairness", because it's completely fair. It's 100% cards working as intended without fast mana or explosive starts, it's just not fun to try to fight through the cards' intended use.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Matsuri posted:

You're interacting with your opponent's cards, not your opponent.

Because your opponent can't loving do anything but sigh and pass.

I'd love for you to define the difference between interacting with an opponent and his card in this a literal card game

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

*actually* burn is highly interactive because you cast spells and target your opponent

*actually* valakut is highly interactive because you play lands and target your opponent

*ACTUALLY* storm is highly interactive because you cast spells and target your opponent

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Firebatgyro posted:

I'd love for you to define the difference between interacting with an opponent and his card in this a literal card game

I don't understand how it's hard to understand. Your opponent is the person across from you who wants to play a game with you. Their cards are the means in which they play with you. If they aren't able to even do anything with their cards, they're not getting to play, and you're not interacting with them, because you've made it impossible for them to interact with you beyond telling you that they pass their turn while contemplating how hard they want to punch you in the throat.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Matsuri posted:

I don't understand how it's hard to understand. Your opponent is the person across from you who wants to play a game with you. Their cards are the means in which they play with you. If they aren't able to even do anything with their cards, they're not getting to play, and you're not interacting with them, because you've made it impossible for them to interact with you beyond telling you that they pass their turn while contemplating how hard they want to punch you in the throat.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Matsuri posted:

That's not true, you can usually play the lands that are on top of your deck.

Also if you are playing white or green and lantern is pissing you off play wheel of sun and moon and Mulligan until you have it in hand.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

*actually* burn is highly interactive because you cast spells and target your opponent

*actually* valakut is highly interactive because you play lands and target your opponent

*ACTUALLY* storm is highly interactive because you cast spells and target your opponent

you have one for stax?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's not true, you can usually play the lands that are on top of your deck.

go get 'im mountain you can do it :unsmith:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Again: by the time it gets to that point the game is already over for most practical purposes. It's your choice to keep stabbing yourself in the dick for that fraction-of-a-percent chance of drawing out of it instead of just conceding and crushing your opponent in the next game.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Matsuri posted:

In your world of fair and just magic what are your thoughts on the card counterspell?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Firebatgyro posted:

In your world of fair and just magic what are your thoughts on the card counterspell?

A player casts the card, and it gets countered. Simple and fair interaction because both players actually got to do something.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rinkles posted:

you have one for stax?

I have one for Workshops, anyway

*actually* Shops is highly interactive because it keeps the really degenerate, uninteractive decks like Storm down so people can play fair decks like BUG Fish and lose to assorted miracle gro style decks

Also the mirrors at least used to be legitimately good matches with really interesting and intricate gameplay. Then they slowly nerfed every non-Ravager build and printed Ballista and now all that matters is making a big Ravager or Ballista.

Or even better

*ACTUALY* Dredge is highly interactive because it forces your opponents to interact with you

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Matsuri posted:

A player casts the card, and it gets countered. Simple and fair interaction because both players actually got to do something.

That's why miracles was so good.

My opponent would cast a spell.
I would durdle with my top
Their spell would be countered.
I would durdle with my top again
Then I would draw and pass the turn
Rinse repeat.
Magic baby.

God i miss miracles.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's why miracles was so good.

My opponent would cast a spell.
I would durdle with my top
Their spell would be countered.
I would durdle with my top again
Then I would draw and pass the turn
Rinse repeat.
Magic baby.

God i miss miracles.

Having played exactly one game with it, same. They banned the wrong card.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Niton posted:

Lantern is also a deck that completely shits on the notion of "fairness", because it's completely fair. It's 100% cards working as intended without fast mana or explosive starts, it's just not fun to try to fight through the cards' intended use.

I don't really mind Lantern but this argument makes no sense. The purpose of Codex Shredder wasn't to combo with Lantern of Insight to lock the opponent out of their draw step, it was to be...actually, I don't know, but I am sure it wasn't that.

Also the deck runs Mox Opal and would be bad if the card was banned so it does have fast mana.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

suicidesteve posted:

I'm sorry that you hate fun, have you considered playing a game you actually enjoy?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Having not looked at vintage in ages, weird to see an oath deck that plays inferno titan up there

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Having not looked at vintage in ages, weird to see an oath deck that plays inferno titan up there

It's a Brian Kelly pile; it's ridiculous. But the man has a plan and that plan is "don't lose to Shops." He builds his decks to beat Shops without sacrificing too much percentage against other decks, which is a skill a lot of other players neglect.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Niton posted:

The deck would be vastly less powerful if Mox Opal were banned. That's one of the payoffs for the deck, it gets to play Gleemox. That little bit of fast mana is what allows them to land Bridge and empty their hand fast enough, while also casting Whir of Invention and Abrupt Decay.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Elyv posted:

I don't really mind Lantern but this argument makes no sense. The purpose of Codex Shredder wasn't to combo with Lantern of Insight to lock the opponent out of their draw step, it was to be...actually, I don't know, but I am sure it wasn't that.

Also the deck runs Mox Opal and would be bad if the card was banned so it does have fast mana.

Lantern and Codex Shredder are both doing exactly what you'd expect them to do, though - Lantern is being used to reveal (and shuffle if you don't like what you see), and Codex Shredder is being used to mill advantageously. They're just a whole lot less fun when combined. I'll concede the point about Mox Opal, though - i was thinking more about things like Desperate Ritual or SSG, but Mox Opal is definitely "fast mana" by any reasonable definition.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
If you ask ten Magic players, you'll get fourteen different incompatible definitions of what "interactive" means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Jaqk
Jun 2, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

What's the difference between slow rolling and slow playing?