Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

FYI, JustWatch is great for this. Tells you what movies are available on what services and for how much. It's a lifesaver if you're looking for a specific film. And if it's not on streaming it can direct you to which service it's cheapest and best quality on.

Oh, excellent. There used to be a couple of good sites for this but all I've found lately just points me straight to VOD rentals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

precision posted:

i liked his hot take that gay men are polite and have good posture

He clearly hasn't met me, the slouching gay man who too often says the wrong thing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Netflix starting to get more international with their comedy specials.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ba4_uGDHTvA&t=2s

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Rewatched The Birthday Boys on Netflix and it's still great and a supremely underrated sketch show. Deserved at least three more seasons.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Is That Mitchell and Webb Look available streaming anywhere anymore? It used to be on Netflix years ago, then Hulu, and I can't find it anymore.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

13Pandora13 posted:

Is That Mitchell and Webb Look available streaming anywhere anymore? It used to be on Netflix years ago, then Hulu, and I can't find it anymore.

Netflix UK if you can find a VPN

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Unmature posted:

Rewatched The Birthday Boys on Netflix and it's still great and a supremely underrated sketch show. Deserved at least three more seasons.

Bob Odenkirk should be involved with all sketch comedy shows. Dude is a genius.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I tried bill nye and NDT's Cosmos and neither really stuck. Come back Carl Sagan :(

I really didn’t like the whole live audience/laugh track aspect to the first season (I haven’t tried the second yet). I was really hoping for an updated version of the classic Bill Nye the Science Guy with current science and all of that, but alas...

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I really didn’t like the whole live audience/laugh track aspect to the first season (I haven’t tried the second yet). I was really hoping for an updated version of the classic Bill Nye the Science Guy with current science and all of that, but alas...
Both Bill Nye and NDT's inclinations towards the theatrical & attention seeking turns me off both and makes me wish Sagan were still alive. I guess maybe I'll turn on cosmos at some point again but the spaceship of imagination poo poo is eyeroll worthy. You barely have to be visible on the show NDT let alone floating around, just narrate the drat thing

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Both Bill Nye and NDT's inclinations towards the theatrical & attention seeking turns me off both and makes me wish Sagan were still alive. I guess maybe I'll turn on cosmos at some point again but the spaceship of imagination poo poo is eyeroll worthy. You barely have to be visible on the show NDT let alone floating around, just narrate the drat thing

The spaceship of imagination is lifted directly from Sagan's version of Cosmos.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The Spaceship of Imagination came from Sagan's original Cosmos series.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Erebus posted:

The Spaceship of Imagination came from Sagan's original Cosmos series.

*adjusts fedora* The Star Trek esque opening sequence did not, though!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

I started off not really feeling Brawl in Cell Block 99 but by the end I was having fun and was glad I stuck with it. Lots of the dialog in the beginning was pretty clunky and un-natural and amateurish (e.g. when he finds his wife chopping vegetables and says "what are you doing, you could hurt yourself" are we supposed to believe five months into her pregnancy that this is the first time she's ever cooked anything? Or the cutesy dialog about the pool room.) stuff like that, where it feels like a couple more passes at the script could have smoothed a lot of that stuff out.

The overly long setup to get him in jail could have been tightened up as well.

It also bothered me that all the prison guards were carrying guns all over the place. It's certainly not a realistic movie otherwise but everyone knows prison guards don't carry guns around like that and it doesn't add anything to the story or the fight scenes. Or maybe they could have just saved them for Don Johnson and the crazy jail and not had them in the more realistic first jail.

Overall I liked it but it has major script issues that really ham-string the movie and should have been fine tuned.

It was real ridiculous but it was super entertaining. Overall I'd agree with your assessment.

One of the parts at the end made me literally recoil and howl :lol: was not expecting all of that.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Yes, but Carl Sagan was polite enough to let the girl know that once he had nutted, she could stop suckin'.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Brawl in Cell Block 99 is slow going but man it is brutal and bleak and entertaining as hell

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wouldn't have thought Vince Vaughn could have pulled off that part, but he is genuinely intimidating in it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Thelma & Louise is on Prime now and it's a loving stone cold classic. Everything about it from the cast to the writing, direction and production design is top notch, and even if you know the ending from cultural assimilation it's gonna make you tear up but also feel good.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

married but discreet posted:

Thelma & Louise is on Prime now and it's a loving stone cold classic. Everything about it from the cast to the writing, direction and production design is top notch, and even if you know the ending from cultural assimilation it's gonna make you tear up but also feel good.

It really holds up well, Susan Sarandon and Geena Davis at their prime, and a young 18 year old Brad Pitt before he was a star, but was clearly a star in the making.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

I wouldn't have thought Vince Vaughn could have pulled off that part, but he is genuinely intimidating in it.

I never get grossed out at movie violence but hoooooo boy did the last 20 minutes do a number on my nerves :stonk:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Him scooting that guys face on the floor got one of the most visceral reactions from me in any movie. it was right up there with the machete to the arm in Green Room.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Finally watched Bright and really enjoyed it.

Now I really want someone to revive Alien Nation. Gimme some sour milk!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Him scooting that guys face on the floor got one of the most visceral reactions from me in any movie. it was right up there with the machete to the arm in Green Room.

That was squicky enough but then there's that shot of the aftermath of it and I was like :wtf:

pahuyuth posted:

hell yeah! the disparity between critical and public response to that movie is insane. it's good!

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

pahuyuth posted:

I watched a good half of Bright while exercising and it was a solid movie! I thought Will Smith and Orc Cop had good chemistry together, but sometimes their quips felt a bit forced.

Really my main criticism with the movie, and I don’t have it often, was that I wish they’d tell a little more than they showed. I’d be interested to hear more about the backstory of the world (for instance, a cop mentions a human v. orc war in Russia at some point which sounds bad rear end), but other than that it was good mindless fun.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Dunno how long it has been on Netflix, but The Men Who Stare At Goats is fun especially after watching Wormwood.

The book is better though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
started watching The End of the loving World last night and it's (loving) fantastic. "dark wes anderson" is spot on.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
So The Good Place is great. Really funny and Kristen Bell is of course a delight. It's always catching me off guard with unexpected things too.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok so Before I Wake... does it seriously end with the wife telling the kid to imagine that everyone he hurt woke up ok, except for her husband who might as well just stay dead?

She really did blame him for killing their kid, huh?

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

Rough Lobster posted:

So The Good Place is great. Really funny and Kristen Bell is of course a delight. It's always catching me off guard with unexpected things too.

Seconding this. If you're looking for a delightful show, then look no further.

I just finished Patriot and I was seriously getting Catch-22 vibes from it. Hella funny show, and I miss that book. I'm going to reread it sometime soon.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Rough Lobster posted:

The Good Place is maybe the funniest show on tv right now. It seems gimmicky at first, but it's really brilliant. And you shouldn't doubt it. It's from the people behind Parks & Rec, and has an amazing cast.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I finally got into The Good Place over the holidays too. Danson has always been great but it's good to see just how much he can stretch, Kristen Bell is hilarious, and the less familiar faces in the cast are really great discoveries. D'Arcy Carden is amazing.

I also like the subtle Prisoner aesthetic it has going.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

So I also started watching The End of the loving World and I’m liking it a lot. I’ve seen the first four episodes. I knew that guy’s mom was going to get rid of the pictures! I’m worried about those two now, I wasn’t actually expecting James to kill anyone despite what he said.

“Dark Wes Anderson” is definitely a good way to describe it. It’s only 8 episodes and they’re all about 20 minutes, so it’s not a huge time investment either.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Dave Chappelle: Hot Takes. That sounds right. Gonna watch it here soon

That's kinda what some comedians do by the way, the whole pushing the envelope thing, so don't feel too bad whenever somebody does a trans joke or something. The worst thing that's been happening to comedians is them having to apologize for poo poo.

If it's loving funny and somebody didn't like it and recorded it on their phone without proper context, gently caress that person. Motherfucker pays money to see a comedian so that they can feel offended. What kind of life is that? It's not a goddamn debate room, it's a performance, shut the gently caress up

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Jan 8, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That's the thing, his lgbt jokes are not very offensive, but they are very not funny

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Yeah I don't get why he keeps bringing it back up, just tell other jokes that are probably funnier and won't piss off a ton of people.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Fargin Icehole posted:

That's kinda what some comedians do by the way, the whole pushing the envelope thing, so don't feel too bad whenever somebody does a trans joke or something. The worst thing that's been happening to comedians is them having to apologize for poo poo.

If it's loving funny and somebody didn't like it and recorded it on their phone without proper context, gently caress that person. Motherfucker pays money to see a comedian so that they can feel offended. What kind of life is that? It's not a goddamn debate room, it's a performance, shut the gently caress up

Don't feel bad when someone insists you are less of a person for laughs, got it.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Didn't watch the specials but I did see Dave Chappelle live in NYC a few months ago and from what I remember the trans material was more about his own discomfort and adjustment as he's tried to become a more tolerant person than it was punching down at all.

Monglo
Mar 19, 2015

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Didn't watch the specials but I did see Dave Chappelle live in NYC a few months ago and from what I remember the trans material was more about his own discomfort and adjustment as he's tried to become a more tolerant person than it was punching down at all.

Yeah, people are just dumb.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Fargin Icehole posted:

Yeah, your hot take isn't very insightful. Or original. "They're just jokes!" "Free speech!"

quote:

That's not how any of this works. If you don't want to be criticized, then shut the gently caress up. He put this out there, it's up for debate. And the general consensus is: kind of offensive, and not very funny. Had he been telling these jokes 20 years ago, maybe he would have been pushing the envelope. But in 2018? He sounds like a trump voter.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is what I don’t understand about the criticism he’s getting. I mean, i *do* understand it...people read the headline, watch a 15 second clip, and scream outrage. No big surprise there, when you take these jokes out of context it casts them and him in a negative light (aside from the fact that he’s a comedian and might not even, you know, actually believe what he’s saying on stage). But when you see the whole bit in context, you see that what he’s actually talking about is his own insecurities and attempts at growth. Literally that whole back half of the special is about this country’s need for better understanding and communication, and how social divides are manufactured through headlines, editing, and media fuckery. His point is that most people are okay and have the capacity and even desire to coexist, but mistakenly believe they are a part of some conflict. Not surprising that exact thing happened with this special.

martinlutherbling fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

martinlutherbling posted:

This is what I don’t understand about the criticism he’s getting. I mean, i *do* understand it...people read the headline, watch a 15 second clip, and scream outrage. No big surprise there, when you take these jokes out of context it casts them and him in a negative light (aside from the fact that he’s a comedian and might not even, you know, actually believe what he’s saying on stage). But when you see the whole bit in context, you see that what he’s actually talking about is his own insecurities and attempts at growth. Literally that whole back half of the special is about this country’s need for better understanding and communication, and how social divides are manufactured through headlines, editing, and media fuckery. His point is that most people are okay and have the capacity and even desire to coexist, but mistakenly believe they are a part of some conflict. Not surprising that exact thing happened with this special.

Also him saying I don't do this to be right. I do this because I like loving around. I don't know what this obsession is with comedians needing to be virtue signaling philosophers. Sometime you just say dumb poo poo and that's ok.