Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Seashell Salesman posted:

Random person's 3D video. I have tried one 3D Hollywood movie, which was the Big Screen TopGun event and that worked fine but that's quite different because they simulate the distance from you to the screen like in a real cinema.

e: I have not tried Oculus Video.

Well if the random person filmed things really close to the camera then you are going to see it really close to your face, no way to really get around that. I guess you could move the virtual screen further away from your virtual face like in Big Screen.

jubjub64 fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I’m having a devil of a time holstering and retrieving my guns in Arktika. Trying to find the sweet spot where the controllers vibrate feels way harder than it should be for a core action.

Am I missing something, or is it a little finickier than it should be?

This - and From Other Sun’s incredibly sticky guns - makes Robo Recall all the more impressive. I feel like i never get mis grabs or missed grabs there.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

jubjub64 posted:

Well if the random person filmed things really close to the camera then you are going to see it really close to your face, no way to really get around that. I guess you could move the virtual screen further away from your virtual face like in Big Screen.

The problem can't purely be the distance from the camera, though, because sometimes it gets crossed up where you'd naturally expect and sometimes it's crossed up literal feet from the camera.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Seashell Salesman posted:

The problem can't purely be the distance from the camera, though, because sometimes it gets crossed up where you'd naturally expect and sometimes it's crossed up literal feet from the camera.

Does it look like a seam down the video where they two sides of the seam don't match up? That is a common problem with stereoscopic 360 video, it can be difficult to perfectly stitch together all the cameras input into a seamless composition.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Paingod556 posted:

So me and my mates tried PayDay 2 again, now that 3 of us have VR. After some awkwardness relearning how to do things, and some bugs with some weapons not shooting, it was a good loving time.

Mostly because they finally allowed you to use grenade launchers and machineguns. Mowing diwn cops with the Minigun never gets old :v:

How is Payday 2 in VR compared to... not? I'm presuming way more immersive and a lot harder?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Gort posted:

How is Payday 2 in VR compared to... not? I'm presuming way more immersive and a lot harder?

Way more immersive and a poo poo ton easier* IMO.

I really really disliked Payday 2 before. I really really like it now (with smooth loco anyways).

*I was terrible at flatscreen and feel "decent" now.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Gort posted:

It varies. Mobility is weird since you can't do the normal strafing as it uses the dash-to-spot locomotion, so shifting position requires conscious effort. But you can also make better use of cover since you can peak and blindfire unlike regular PD2. Reloading is simple and 'game-y' enough to not distract you much, plus there's the bonus of being able to partial reload a magazine which has been a lifesaver. The biggest thing is that you can use two hands at the same time, which means akimbo guns are amazing plus you can do things like pick locks or res a buddy while also mowing down cops.

The most annoying part are the snipers, since you can't evade them as well, plus it's a lot more difficult to do accurate long range shooting. That, plus everyone wants to bring shotguns and anything with a giggle switch and max ammo over accuracy, ie. my MG-42 I done brought.

It hasn't really changed from when it first came out, if you find those posts from last Oct/Nov, except there are more usable guns (still no RPG or flamer) and more heists. Reservoir Dogs on Overkill gave us headaches, but still fun. Except the snipers and that loving Day 2 guntruck.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Ciaphas posted:

Pavlov has proven difficult for me for the same reason I have trouble shooting at practice ranges IRL: I'm amblyopic, which means in my case that when my right eye is open, the vision from my left eye is deadened, because I never learned to merge the two images into a stereoscopic 3D picture. So I'm like the people who close one eye to ADS, except all the time.

Pavlov is hard :(

I remember you. You may want to see if any doctors offer See Vividly in your area.

https://www.seevividly.com

I'm also amblyopic, and when I was a teen and a kid the vision from my left eye was also deadened. However I gained stereoscopic vision as an adult. 3D movies and VR work like they work on a normal person with a really good 3D effect. I'm still amblyopic, but my brain has effectively figured out how to construct a stereoscopic 3D image and I use both eyes together unlike when I was a teen where my left eye's vision was totally ignored unless I closed my right eye.

My ophthalmologist has also discovered that my stereo-acuity has been improving and I think VR has a lot to do with that since I'm a very heavy VR user and 70% of my gaming is in VR. Actually stuff like shooting people in the head in Pavlov or Stand Out is much easier in VR than it is on a non stereoscopic monitor, and I can keep up with other competitive players despite having a high ping due to living in Hong Kong

Two weeks ago my Vive broke and I had it serviced by HTC so I was without a headset for a week. I was playing a lot of PUBG on my 4k 70 inch TV that my VR PC is also connected to and man the lack of depth perception makes shooting people a huge struggle. I was extremely clumsy in my shots.

Anyway I still hope you can manage to gain your stereoscopic vision with a VR training tool like See Vividly.

iceaim fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jan 8, 2018

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://web.archive.org/web/20180108102232/https://www.vrnerds.de/htc-kuendigt-vive-pro-und-vive-wireless-adapter-an/

Google Translate posted:

After the announcement at the weekend follows now as expected the official press release: HTC announces its new headset Vive Pro , which wants to shine with a higher resolution and integrated loudspeakers. There is also a new Vive wireless adapter .
Vive Pro: Update 1.5 with 3K and speakers

Those looking for a completely new model may be disappointed - but the Vive Pro offers a welcome update - the original HTC Vive remains in the program. The Vive Pro has two OLED displays with a common resolution of 2880 x 1600 pixels, which makes it similar to the Vive Focus from the same company. Overall, the new headset has thus increased by 78 percent resolution and should achieve a much sharper and clearer presentation. For comparison: The "normal" HTC Vive offers 2160 x 1200 pixels.

A welcome innovation is the integration of speakers, which should increase the comfort significantly. Owners of the old model had to resort to the Deluxe Audio Strap , which should be superfluous in the Vive Pro now. HTC intends to provide information on the availability and price of the new VR headset later.

In addition, the manufacturer announces the Vive Wireless Adapter for the HTC Vive and HTC Vive Pro , with which you can connect the headset without a cable to the PC. The adapter uses Intel's WiGig technology, unlike TPCast , but you have to be patient for a while. Only in the third quarter of 2018 should the adapter come on the market. Open and exciting the price remains: Although TPCast for the first HTC Vive available, but for around 350 € anything but a bargain. Whether the Vive Wireless Adapter can position itself here as a price-breaker remains to be seen. Whether TPCast with the HTC Vive Pro without (too) large latency problems or even works remains to be seen.
So the new Vive has 1440x1600 per eye and presumably a head strap (with integrated audio) that doesn't suck. Also an official wireless adapter will soon be available.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ah, good. It's a gen 1.5. I wonder what the pricing will be.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'm gonna have to buy this ughhh

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

same :mad:

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Re: Vive Pro, summary is: integrate a DAS and upgrade the screens to the oddysey screens. A wise move but the availability and price have a huge part in how big of a deal this is.
As tempting as it is I will probably pass unless they have massively, massively improved controllers. Hopefully a Rift Pro is announced that would let people just upgrade their HMD and it also has the oddysey screens. I would buy that very fast.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I wouldn't because lol at downgrading to an inferior tracking solution and paying for sensors while at it. :v:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

I wouldn't because lol at downgrading to an inferior tracking solution and paying for sensors while at it. :v:

Explain?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

Hopefully the new Vive has the same inputs as the current one so the TPCast can work with it. Or that the new wireless adapter isn't also $300.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I already have vive lighthouses and controllers so I only need a new hmd, whereas switching to rift I'd need a whole new set. Unless the difference in price of the HMD is 300+, I'd be paying to downgrade.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Truga posted:

I already have vive lighthouses and controllers so I only need a new hmd, whereas switching to rift I'd need a whole new set. Unless the difference in price of the HMD is 300+, I'd be paying to downgrade.

If you already have a vive and you can get the vive pro HMD by itself its an easy sell. If you already have a rift and there is a rift pro HMD you can get by itself its an easy sell. I don't think either would merit completely jumping ship to the other.

Also, the Rifts tracking solution is only slightly inferior with 2 sensors. 3 sensors is a different story.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

Well yeah, I don't think the idea was to have someone like you switch to rift. What about the inferior tracking thing?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

rage-saq posted:

Also, the Rifts tracking solution is only slightly inferior with 2 sensors. 3 sensors is a different story.

quote:

Max Size: 2.2 x 2.2 metres (7x7 feet)
Extra Hardware Required: high quality 5 metre USB 3.0 extension cable

loving lol

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My play area is about 9x11 and worked rather well with two sensors.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You mean feet, right? My room is 3x3m, but my summer good weather play area is 10x10m, and that'd kinda suck with rift.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Holy smokes Climbey is a lot of fun. If you ever played kz maps in CS, or played proper KZMod, or whatever the GMod climbing equivalent was, it's basically that, but VR. Would recommend if you're looking for something to pick up and play that isn't yet another shootmans game.

P.S. If you like VR escape rooms, or normal escape rooms and want to try them in VR, I'm pretty sure I've purchased every single one available on Steam. I can give some recommendations for that category as well.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Truga posted:

loving lol

This is old info. The maximum effective rift roomscale setup with 4 sensors is somewhere around 6m x 6m, might be larger now.
My play area is 10ft x 13ft.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Protocol7 posted:

P.S. If you like VR escape rooms, or normal escape rooms and want to try them in VR, I'm pretty sure I've purchased every single one available on Steam. I can give some recommendations for that category as well.

I would appreciate this, as a kid that grew up on monkey island, I love this kind of poo poo.

rage-saq posted:

This is old info. The maximum effective rift roomscale setup with 4 sensors is somewhere around 6m x 6m, might be larger now.

That's actually good to know. I have a friend that lives in an old farmhouse and has a huge-rear end "common room" and is considering VR. He'll likely save quite a few bucks even with 4 sensors.

I tried googling rift max play space a few different ways a few days ago and eventually arrived to the reddit rift wiki, which is now apparently outdated, but still higher on google than any oculus info? :iiam:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Truga posted:

You mean feet, right? My room is 3x3m, but my summer good weather play area is 10x10m, and that'd kinda suck with rift.

Feet, yes. For pretty much any indoor solution, the rift tracking is equal.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Protocol7 posted:

Holy smokes Climbey is a lot of fun. If you ever played kz maps in CS, or played proper KZMod, or whatever the GMod climbing equivalent was, it's basically that, but VR. Would recommend if you're looking for something to pick up and play that isn't yet another shootmans game.

Climbey is the best, especially in coop. A lot of maps are also more fun and less annoying when you work together (No flying tho!).

Also plz give escape room recommendations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Truga posted:

You have a hundred square meters of flat, empty, rectangular space to play VR in?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Geisladisk posted:

You have a hundred square meters of flat, empty, rectangular space to play VR in?

Dunno about that poster specifically but some folks have a garage that they keep their car in during the cold months and can be mostly empty the rest of the year. I've wanted try that in mine but I rent in a complex and my garage is actually on a different floor several buildings over so pffft at moving my PC for a lark

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeh, it's called my back yard. I drag power and lan out there, put down tripods, and play. The size is obviously great, and also being outside while inside is still hot as gently caress during summer. I love it.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Truga posted:

Yeh, it's called my back yard. I drag power and lan out there, put down tripods, and play. The size is obviously great, and also being outside while inside is still hot as gently caress during summer. I love it.

You're so far out of bounds of the typical use case of VR I'm not sure what to say, but in your specific case the Rift will not work simply because the cameras detect IR and the Rift headset and Touch controllers emit IR, and any time you were outside in direct sunlight the Rift would stop tracking you.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You don't have air conditioning?

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Doesn't the lighthouse system also suffer from interference from outside? Not as bad, but still a concern.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

What about the screen getting fried by the sun? It doesn't take long at all. Do you put it on inside and walk blindly to your play area?

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Shame they didnt go for improving fov on that new Vive but if Pimax shits the bed that looks like a solid upgrade.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phuzun posted:

What about the screen getting fried by the sun? It doesn't take long at all. Do you put it on inside and walk blindly to your play area?

The screen shouldn't get torched by just ambient sunlight or no one would be able to open the windows of their VR room. It's only a problem if direct sunlight falls on the lenses themselves and gets focused on the screen.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

You don't have air conditioning?

I had one, but it's one of those loud portable ones and I couldn't stand it. Passed it on, my grandma uses it now during heatwaves, she can't really stand the heat anymore, being 90 :v:

PerrineClostermann posted:

Doesn't the lighthouse system also suffer from interference from outside? Not as bad, but still a concern.

I haven't really played outside in full daylight fearing exactly this, and by 7 in the evening, the neghbour's house kills the sun in my VR spot so I can't comment on direct sunlight, but sun shining around the space didn't cause issues for me.

Basically, I put down a few giant old blankets on the grass to serve as playspace, hammer in two tall bean stakes in the corners after I mount the lighthouses on top, run room setup and play for a few hours. I only tend to do this a couple times a year tho, usually when I have people over so everyone can try, since the setup takes a bit of time, and I don't wanna leave it out overnight in case of showers.

Surprise Giraffe posted:

Shame they didnt go for improving fov on that new Vive but if Pimax shits the bed that looks like a solid upgrade.

I wonder if there's any talk about foveated rendering at all, too.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well here goes the big list of escape rooms my wife and I have played, then. Note that when I say a game supports locomotion, that means you can move independent of room-scale, via teleporting or some other mechanism.

Abode is probably the best, with a good mix of puzzles and interactivity. Good attention to detail, for example, keys and locks are ornate, but the designs match so you know which keys go to which locks. Good mix of puzzles and traditional locks. Supports locomotion if your space is too small for room-scale.

Inescapable VR: Underground was another highlight, but we did have trouble with the height of the player making it hard to pick items up on the floor. I have a Mixed Reality headset so we used the Room Adjustment app to adjust the floor height and that fixed it, not sure what similar solutions exist for Vive and Rift. This one was fun since at one point you have to physically crawl under a desk to unscrew a vent, and I personally thought this one had the best level of difficulty. Also supports locomotion.

The Escape!VR series which consists of The Basement and Above the Clouds were also a lot of fun. I think these two had probably the largest traversable area out of everything we've played, and tons of interactable objects, which was great for throwing you off the trail - you could do many things, but they didn't necessarily get you closer to the end. I had a lot of fun in The Basement especially since you had to physically crouch down to go through a vent. Since they are huge they also supported locomotion.

Locked In VR is loving creepy as hell, and definitely sold me on the idea of VR escape rooms. It was pretty hard and some things were hard to see and not necessarily intuitive, but it oozes a creepy atmosphere and was overall pretty clever. Solving the room is quick overall, but you'll probably need a few tries in the 50-minute timer it gives you due to the obtuse clues. Supports locomotion.

VR: Vacate the Room is roomscale-only, so you'll want the recommended room size of 2m x 1.5m. It's pretty short, but reasonably challenging. Probably worth it on a sale, but not sure it was worth full price. Has "Extras" DLC that I haven't quite figured out what it is yet.

Temple of Aluxes is not an escape room, but it is worth mentioning in this list because it's still a puzzle-heavy game that's pretty ingenious. It has a scanner that helps you find clues that are otherwise invisible to you. It has a very "Indiana Jones" temple-delving feel to it and is a lot of fun. Supports locomotion.

Tales of Escape has the first level completely free, and supports online escaping co-op. It has great graphics and is loving spooky. I didn't like the actual game, though, as poo poo would fall through geometry and it had way too many combo locks, a complaint I have about many real-life escape rooms. Worth trying for free, though. Supports locomotion.

Nevrosa: Prelude is a free demo for the full game Nevrosa: Escape, which I will fully admit to not buying because Prelude was scary as hell and I'm a pussy. But don't get me wrong, that is praise for Nevrosa, which has decent puzzles, great graphics, and is spooky as gently caress. Escape looks great too, but I am too big of a baby to buy it. Does not support locomotion, so you need at least 2m x 1.5m to play room-scale.

Dungeon Escape VR is by the same guys behind Temple of Aluxes and is similar in graphics and puzzle mechanics, but this one is actually an escape room. It's also very good and has a good mix of puzzles and I thought the difficulty was just right. Supports locomotion.

VR: The Puzzle Room is... interesting in quality, but has 3 rooms right now that are all pretty okay. There's a lot of interactive elements and most of them are for fun, but the difficulty was almost too easy for me personally. The graphics are pretty lovely but if you have to get your VR fix this is pretty decent. I don't honestly remember if it supports locomotion, I don't think it does, but it requires pretty big roomscale.

OK Bob is a short but good one too. You've locked yourself in a closet or something and need to get out. We had problems with physics objects falling through geometry in this one too, but other than that the puzzles were mostly good. It took me a while to figure out you can go to the second floor once you fix the lift, the code thing is only for the third floor (which is the end). Doesn't support locomotion so make sure you have at least 2m x 1.5m for roomscale.

Eye in the Sky is a very interesting experience. It's a two-player local co-op escape room. One person is on the main PC display and controls a tiny robot, the other plays VR and helps the little robot get to the end. Very unique experience, though very rough around the edges. The little robot uses standard WASD to get around but I believe the VR player is fixed with roomscale.

Oodlescape: The Apocalypse is a quirky little escape room where the solutions are randomized, which I found kind of cool. It's probably got the wackiest puzzles out of them all, but it's still a lot of fun and you can tell there was some good attention to detail in this one. Supports locomotion.

The VR Escape the Room series, which consists of The Gleam, The Cabin, and The Ruins, suck. A lot. They look like poo poo, they control like poo poo, are buggy as hell and I refunded them all after giving each one 5 minutes. Would not recommend.

I think that sums up everything I've played, I might have skipped some. I chose not to include games like FORM, Conductor and I Expect You To Die, which are all very good, but I don't consider them traditional escape rooms, but mechanically similar puzzle games. If you've played something I haven't that you think is good, let me know and we'll give it a fair shake!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think I'll wait for actual gen 2 headsets. This resolution increase doesn't seem like it will be super worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
After getting an Odyssey, I would say the increase in resolution is noticeable and great, but I'm also not particularly sad when I switched back to my Rift. If you have money to burn you'll be happy, if you don't you won't really be missing out.