Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Poil posted:

Fixed forward and unable to rotate freely like a turret does. So you have to turn the whole ship to aim towards something.

Like this terribly illustration:

I know that's not your point but I would really like torpedoes with guns on them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I know that's not your point but I would really like torpedoes with guns on them

They are called strike craft :v:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I feel like dumping some time into a 4x and i've owned stellaris forever. Any beginner tips? just gonna start as humans and go for it.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

queeb posted:

I feel like dumping some time into a 4x and i've owned stellaris forever. Any beginner tips? just gonna start as humans and go for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1CQ7Vwz8Eo

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

queeb posted:

Nevets posted:

Minerals are king!
Pay attention to build cost vs. income, most stuff won't break even for years.
Avoid upgrading planetary buildings if you have unemployed pops and can build new level 1 buildings for them, or unmined 2+ planets/asteroids.
Pay attention to neighbors' military capacity & fleet strength, try to keep the fleet strength at equivalent or better to deter wars. Don't go to war unless you have more ships & equal tech, or equal ships & more tech.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/950431827990282240

calling it now: release date or trailer announcement on Thursday. Most likely the latter.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
That lizard is making me uncomfortable.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AI is really bad at war, aren't they? Three equivalent Spiritualist empires formed a federation and declared war on me, but every time their combined fleets reached my home system they'd turn around because my fleet was.bombing one of their systems. Eventually they just stopped doing anything at all.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

GorfZaplen posted:

AI is really bad at war, aren't they? Three equivalent Spiritualist empires formed a federation and declared war on me, but every time their combined fleets reached my home system they'd turn around because my fleet was.bombing one of their systems. Eventually they just stopped doing anything at all.

I'm really hoping a ton of this stuff goes away after 2.0. You won't be able to game the AI into rushing back to defend its homeworld because you physically can't get there due to wars actually having fronts now.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I'm really hoping a ton of this stuff goes away after 2.0. You won't be able to game the AI into rushing back to defend its homeworld because you physically can't get there due to wars actually having fronts now.

Assuming the AI is in any way adept at placing defences. Currently they seem to put them everywhere, though I imagine that will change.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

GorfZaplen posted:

Yeah they're not good at it. Which actually makes playing on Hard pretty fun, they can stay competitive for a long time, but they're not any good at teaming up on you.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah they're not good at it. Which actually makes playing on Hard pretty fun, they can stay competitive for a long time, but they're not any good at teaming up on you.

Does the AI on Hard still go suiciding into a much larger fleet that it doesn't seem to notice because it's busy chasing a tiny little fleet on the other edge of a system?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

binge crotching posted:

Does the AI on Hard still go suiciding into a much larger fleet that it doesn't seem to notice because it's busy chasing a tiny little fleet on the other edge of a system?

Sometimes. The other day I was playing and the AI kept running <1k fleets into my >20k doomstack, deliberately trying to attack that particular fleet. Best guess as to why is that their far-away ally with a more competitive fleet was trying to attach to those little fleets and thus engage me, but the little fleets would always hit mine and die before they could show up? :iiam:

The main thing about Hard is that the extra resources they get help them build more competently, so their empires are more robust overall. Haven't seen any behavioral differences.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/950431827990282240

calling it now: release date or trailer announcement on Thursday. Most likely the latter.

The DLC will be about saving 15% or more on car insurance?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

Surely it will be fleet insurance.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

canepazzo posted:

Considering we don't even have the name of the expansion that's presumably coming with 2.0, nor do we know a single paid feature I'd bet we'll be learning what the actual name and theme of the paid expansion is. Possibly with accompanying trailer.

It's waaay too early for a release date. I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be a Utopia level real expansion, rather than a Leviathans/Synthetic Dawn "story pack," so there's got to be a lot coming in addition to everything changing just with the patch.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

You guys are silly, they're obviously saying the patch drops on Thursday. :colbert:

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Main Paineframe posted:

I'd argue the new individual ship retreat mechanism is a type of road side service.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Is there any point to building smaller, weaker ships mid-to-late game or should I just build the most expensive, largest ships for my fleet?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Main Paineframe posted:

gently caress, now I need to go make a Gecko person Megacorp civ for 2.0. Thanks a lot!

THS
Sep 15, 2017

Q8ee posted:

Is there any point to building smaller, weaker ships mid-to-late game or should I just build the most expensive, largest ships for my fleet?

you should build a fairly balanced fleet. i keep a pretty 1:1:1:1 ratio but that's probably inefficient - small ships have evasion and you can fit corvettes with torpedoes, destroyers with point defense, etc. also battleships have poo poo tracking so they're terrible at taking out the enemy screen, unless you're giving your battleships medium/small mount weapons but who the gently caress does that

also cruisers are there to die so no one else has to

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
In the current version corvettes are good if you are going up against FE's & Crisis' that have overpowered 1 hit kill weapons since each corvette can absorb a whole shot.

Destroyers are good as a PD / flak screen against missile & fighter focused enemy fleets.

If neither of those situations apply then a battleship only fleet might work for you. I tend to keep it mixed since you can't plan on what you'll need when an enemy fleet can totally respec out of kinetics into missiles in a few months.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Q8ee posted:

I put cruisers with battleships and kit the cruisers for anti fighter/anti light ship screen (fighters + smaller mounts). You can fit both roles on BB but then it's hard to tell what my ratio between the two models is.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Q8ee posted:

Light ships are ablative armor for big ships, in my experience. Battleships get focus-fired to death pretty quickly without screens and take a lot more time and resources to replace.

That being said corvettes specifically become questionably useful by the late game, plus since you need a shitload of them to be useful they become a micromanagement pain in the butt.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
In my current game my torpedo corvettes have had waaaay better survivability than my destroyers for some reason.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Eiba posted:

Considering we don't even have the name of the expansion that's presumably coming with 2.0, nor do we know a single paid feature I'd bet we'll be learning what the actual name and theme of the paid expansion is.

it's space lizards

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Tomn posted:

Light ships are ablative armor for big ships, in my experience. Battleships get focus-fired to death pretty quickly without screens and take a lot more time and resources to replace.

That being said corvettes specifically become questionably useful by the late game, plus since you need a shitload of them to be useful they become a micromanagement pain in the butt.

Only if they have good armor pen. BBs have superior effective hp per point if they do not and you can just slam them at range and retreat when the swarm of poo poo closes to be a threat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Q8ee posted:

I would say no, because it's perfectly sufficient to only build cruisers and battleships, and it's too much clicking to bother with building the lighter guys when I could just run two designs instead. In my experience CCs and BBs have much better survivability rates as well, which is useful for prolonged campaigning.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Q8ee posted:

Not really except as additional bodies. As long as you always build the biggest class available then you're fine. Everything else is a supplement.

I do build them throughout the entire game, however. Mostly for RP reasons so it's dependent on the empire I'm using.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

I mean destroyers would be fine since you can shove a large on them but the computer bonuses on destroyers are tracking and stuff while cruisers are fire rate and battleships are +damage. Fire rate and damage trump anything else.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You do want a decent amount of destroyers as I much rather see them get destroyed then anything really expensive. As the longer you can keep the core of your battleships intact, the better off you will be. My toughest battle was against a federation that included a fair portion of the galaxy, and while at the end of the battle everything besides my battleships were destroyed, I was able to carry the day and destroy basically everything they had. Importantly though, since it was just cheap poo poo that I had to replace I was able to start rebuilding my fleet with relative ease.

Shut up and JAM!
Sep 3, 2011
Is it possible to select individual planets from the galaxy map? I know when clicking on the name the camera zooms to system view, but I'd like to just select the planet with one click.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Bombers especially will majorly gently caress your heavy stuff up so you need destroyers or cruisers that are built to counter them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Shut up and JAM! posted:

Is it possible to select individual planets from the galaxy map? I know when clicking on the name the camera zooms to system view, but I'd like to just select the planet with one click.

If you drag select over a populated system it will select the planet. Not sure what happens if there's multiple settled planets in a system though.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

wiegieman posted:

Bombers especially will majorly gently caress your heavy stuff up so you need destroyers or cruisers that are built to counter them.

This really can't be overstated enough - it's comparatively rare, but an AI that is packing tier 3 fighters and has designs that utilize them in any number is going to absolutely wreck a battleship/cruiser fleet. You need PD if you want to build a fleet that can handle all comers, and destroyers are currently the only way to get (non-carrier) PD in an unmodded game.

Corvettes can be safely ignored once you start fielding larger groups of cruisers, though they're handy to have if you're hitting an FE relatively early in the game.

Psycho Landlord fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jan 9, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

so my fleets should consist of ships with multiple weapon types? ie cruisers that have PD, cruisers that have torpedoes, and cruisers that have missiles, then battleships that cover as many different types of weapons as is feasible? I haven't played in a long, long time but am planning on getting back into the game. I'd normally just spam the same ships with the same weapons and not diversify much.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
.....what? No you can get PD with carrier modules on cruisers. It is how I won a huge fight against a fleet massively focused on strike craft without any significant casualties.

These cruisers were backing up my fleet of direct fire battleships.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

I legitimately forgot that the carrier module for cruisers exists. Whoops. I always go all in on supercarrier battleships if I want fighters, so I never bother with them and they slipped my mind.

If they hang back instead of closing with your other cruisers then my point kind of stands, though. Not to mention destroyers are a cheap way to field a large slot.

Longbike
Sep 7, 2011
FWIW I have had great success with nothing but piles of plasma cruisers backed up by kinetic artillery battleships with a carrier core. Battleships strip shields at range and deploy a screen of fighters and bombers plus have enough PD to deal with swarms of missiles and strike craft. It's melted everything I've come up against including an AE fleet that outpowered me by 150k to 120k. Ended that fight with 60k of cruisers left and near complete destruction of the enemy fleet. Plasma cruisers are just gross once they get into range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Q8ee posted:

so my fleets should consist of ships with multiple weapon types? ie cruisers that have PD, cruisers that have torpedoes, and cruisers that have missiles, then battleships that cover as many different types of weapons as is feasible? I haven't played in a long, long time but am planning on getting back into the game. I'd normally just spam the same ships with the same weapons and not diversify much.

Ideally you optimize your fleet to be resistant against the type of attacks the enemy uses while using attacks that exploit their weakness in return, but in the absence of that you should just want a fleet without glaring weaknesses. That means a mix of armor and shields on the big ships, and enough PD to take out missiles and strike crafts. You don't really need to diversify your own attacks much. Plasma weapons and kinetic artillery are pretty good all-around weapons if you have them. Just be wary of going heavy on missiles in case you suddenly go up against a PD-heavy fleet.

Destroyer PD has a benefit as well in that if you need to roll out and deal with some annoyance that is not using missiles or strike crafts, you can just leave the destroyers safely docked at home.

• Locked thread