Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Anyone heard Qrixkuor? It's along the lines of Vassafor/Altarage/Irkallian Oracle/Mitochondrion/Antediluvian/Malthusian (what do we call this style anyway? It's definitely a "thing"), and it's great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgE36UXl2zo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

Spatulater bro! posted:

(what do we call this style anyway? It's definitely a "thing")

I've always wondered that as well. I'm sure some nerd out there will prefix whatever it is with "atmospheric" but I really hate that term.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Pickles posted:

The only metalcore bands I seem to like are Converge and Shai Hulud

Can't think of anyone else really

burnt by the sun weren't too bad

Opulent Ceremony
Feb 22, 2012

Spatulater bro! posted:

what do we call this style anyway? It's definitely a "thing"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgE36UXl2zo

People tend to use occult death metal or cavernous death metal.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Opulent Ceremony posted:

Awesome. "Cavernous death metal" brought me to this redit thread which is giving me some recommendations for stuff I haven't heard yet.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Opulent Ceremony posted:

ventures-level reverb metal

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

I've always wondered that as well. I'm sure some nerd out there will prefix whatever it is with "atmospheric" but I really hate that term.

Ha, yeah you were right: Atmospheric Death Metal. It's a good list, if a bit broad. But I too dislike the term "atmospheric". Isn't all music atmospheric? It's just a matter of what type of atmosphere it's intending to create.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Rexxed posted:

Maybe you guys will like Odour of Death, it's black metal instead of deathcore leaning death metal. After listening to metal for so long I'm used to nobody liking what I like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCYxR6ZuU4E

I liked the first track but then I was looking it up and turns out the main guy is a huge nazi so it's not for me.

Disclaimer that I make no judgements about other people listening to nsbm (as long as it's not for the political message, obviously). And this project itself seems to be tackling less racist subject matter than "Promo Tape 88" and "Laser Holocaust" from Antisemitex.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

il_cornuto posted:

I liked the first track but then I was looking it up and turns out the main guy is a huge nazi so it's not for me.

Disclaimer that I make no judgements about other people listening to nsbm (as long as it's not for the political message, obviously). And this project itself seems to be tackling less racist subject matter than "Promo Tape 88" and "Laser Holocaust" from Antisemitex.

Laser Holocaust sounds like the most amazingly cheesy and no budget 1980's Italian schlock. Complete with over the top synth soundtrack.

It makes me sad some dumbass racist came up with it.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Nordick posted:

So I just found out that Tengger Cavalry have released a cover album

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hwl-nABpNI

EDIT: lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdTe0smBBac

Their take on Slayer's Angel of Death unironically owns, though

Mongolian throat singing meets questionable mixing meets metal staples.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

More new Hooded Menace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DOyCSgsevI

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

il_cornuto posted:

Ah that sucks, I didn't know that.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
the reason people are still praising converge is because theyre like the only band not named Integrity writing good(ish) metalcore albums for 20+ years. that Code Orange album is a great gym record though. hopefully they use more noise and also write cool goth rock songs for their next stuff.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Converge is extremely good and The Dusk in Us is my favorite album of theirs since Jane Doe.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Soon to be signed to Dark Descentcore

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

il_cornuto posted:

Well they're on darker than black so maybe that should have been an indication?

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I don't like listening to Converge but I saw them live the other year with someone else ( I think it was the tour with At the Gates ) and they were phenomenal live. It sounds so cliche but they looked and sounded like anger and rage personified, I could feel it in my bones. It felt so much more "legitimate" than anything I've ever seen before or since, in terms of that kind of vibe.

I don't get enough of that to be interested in listening to them at any other time, but if you get a chance to see them live then do it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

TollTheHounds posted:

I don't like listening to Converge but I saw them live the other year with someone else ( I think it was the tour with At the Gates ) and they were phenomenal live. It sounds so cliche but they looked and sounded like anger and rage personified, I could feel it in my bones. It felt so much more "legitimate" than anything I've ever seen before or since, in terms of that kind of vibe.

I don't get enough of that to be interested in listening to them at any other time, but if you get a chance to see them live then do it.

I was stupid and took too long to buy tickets for them and Neurosis last summer so I still haven't. Hopefully now that the album is out they'll be back soon.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

this is some good poo poo

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
A love/hate band in this thread but we can all agree this is a bummer.

https://twitter.com/Loudwire/status/950744214081503232

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

wandler20 posted:

https://twitter.com/Loudwire/status/950744214081503232

she looks horrible in this picture, this cant be totally unexpected

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

36, god drat, that’s awful. RIP.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
that face is so pale

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

e: thanks awful app

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

she looks horrible in this picture, this cant be totally unexpected

He's a guy.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
whoa

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Soiled Meat
Here lies Mikio Fujioka, all rights reserved, Sony Music Entertainment, 2018

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Power Trip and Sheer Mag are touring together, which should kick rear end

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Haha

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

wandler20 posted:

He was super talented, and 36 is way too young. Apparantly he fell off an observation deck while stargazing, which is certainly an unusual way to go.

Also. they're on Toy's Factory, not Sony.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 9, 2018

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

I'm not completely sure why that joke rubs me the wrong way but it might just be that I don't really like seeing people who've just died mocked, especially when they seem to have been pretty OK people. I'm assuming you wouldn't be saying it if someone from Napalm Death, Sigh, Asphyx or any of the bands who actually are on Sony had died, so I'm guessing it's a "lol commercial metal" joke which is dumb as hell anyway. But mostly it comes across as making fun of a dead guy because you didn't like the band he was in, which is pretty petty and childish IMO.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

il_cornuto posted:

I'm not completely sure why that joke rubs me the wrong way but it might just be that I don't really like seeing people who've just died mocked, especially when they seem to have been pretty OK people. I'm assuming you wouldn't be saying it if someone from Napalm Death, Sigh, Asphyx or any of the bands who actually are on Sony had died, so I'm guessing it's a "lol commercial metal" joke which is dumb as hell anyway. But mostly it comes across as making fun of a dead guy because you didn't like the band he was in, which is pretty petty and childish IMO.

Welcome to the Something Awful forums

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Henchman of Santa posted:

remember TFF when chris henry died lmao

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

nerve posted:

remember TFF when chris henry died lmao

A banner day in forums history

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The upside is that if they're dead it is impossible for them to care about what you say.

"Respect for the dead" really only makes the living feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Henchman of Santa posted:

I guess but I expect that kind of thing in GBS, NMD is usually not lovely when people die. Every other death announcement in this thread has been followed by a few "that sucks" and nothing else IIRC, so this feels out of nowhere. Also I don't think the fact that a band is on a record label is that good of a joke considering it's true of most bands.

Crip Eatin Bread isn't usually a bad poster either so seeing them them mock the deceased's appearance, act like they've never seen corpse paint and then make the record label joke makes me wonder if they had some kind of personal vendetta against Mikio Fujioka.

il_cornuto fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jan 10, 2018