Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

eschaton posted:

the #1 attribute I want to avoid is the assumption I’ll throw it away for something newer in a year so they don’t have to provide firmware updates

I’m also just fine without features like LED control and overclocking support that just makes things unstable

firmware updates are guaranteed to be a goner in 4-5 years, maybe even sooner - depends on the manufacturer. there's nothing inherently unstable about overclocking support however, unless you don't know what you do or got the first $99 cars you saw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/950253767475183616

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

quote:

hey, we’re video game programmers, we know what we’re doing, it will be fine.

:allears:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
De Raadt (OpenBSD) is very unhappy about how the Intel Bug is being handled

https://www.itwire.com/security/81338-handling-of-cpu-bug-disclosure-incredibly-bad-openbsd-s-de-raadt.html

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Didn't the OpenBSD folks drop details way before the embargo date on one of the huge bugs in the last two years? Basically guaranteeing being left out on any new ones??

There have been so many I can't remember names anymore.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

thebigcow posted:

Didn't the OpenBSD folks drop details way before the embargo date on one of the huge bugs in the last two years? Basically guaranteeing being left out on any new ones??

There have been so many I can't remember names anymore.

they agreed to a 6 week embargo on krack, the researcher said others needed more time to get patches through and bsd went “lol release” putting it out weeks early

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Rumor is for Meltdown that AMD's little tantrum making GBS threads on Intel over kpti on a public kernel list is what caused the embargo to be moved to last week. Professional secfuckers aren't terribly happy with them right now.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
theo is somewhat correct to be mad at intel

theo is also a loon

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

quote:

So, the branch predictor makes a prediction and the predicted instructions are fetched, decoded, and executed – but not retired until the prediction is known to be correct. Sound familiar? The realization I had – it was new to me at the time – was what it meant to speculatively execute a prefetch. The latencies were long, so it was important to get the prefetch transaction on the bus as soon as possible, and once a prefetch had been initiated there was no way to cancel it. So a speculatively-executed xdcbt was identical to a real xdcbt! (a speculatively-executed load instruction was just a prefetch, FWIW).

friggin nice

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

And that was the problem – the branch predictor would sometimes cause xdcbt instructions to be speculatively executed and that was just as bad as really executing them. One of my coworkers (thanks Tracy!) suggested a clever test to verify this – replace every xdcbt in the game with a breakpoint. This achieved two things:

The breakpoints were not hit, thus proving that the game was not executing xdcbt instructions.
The crashes went away.

They loving changed the result by measuring it.
Bugfix by applied quantum mechanics.

The more I read about Spectre, the more I am getting convinced that real life quantum mechanics are just a result of the universe speculatively executing potential parallel realities.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

mrmcd posted:

Rumor is for Meltdown that AMD's little tantrum making GBS threads on Intel over kpti on a public kernel list is what caused the embargo to be moved to last week. Professional secfuckers aren't terribly happy with them right now.

that doesn't make any sense, since the details had been pretty thoroughly figured out before that patch appeared, and I don't recall learning anything from that email except "ohhh snap!"

like, literally the only thing that hadn't been figured out, I think, was the idea of poisoning the *indirect* jump branch predictor.

also, who on earth would describe a patch that turned off the flag on amd cpus because they weren't vulnerable as a "tantrum" except intel's pr department?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

EVGA Longoria posted:

they agreed to a 6 week embargo on krack, the researcher said others needed more time to get patches through and bsd went “lol release” putting it out weeks early
but when google does it and it's only days early it's ok

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Carbon dioxide posted:

The more I read about Spectre, the more I am getting convinced that real life quantum mechanics are just a result of the universe speculatively executing potential parallel realities.

:aaaaa:

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

crazypenguin posted:

that doesn't make any sense, since the details had been pretty thoroughly figured out before that patch appeared, and I don't recall learning anything from that email except "ohhh snap!"

like, literally the only thing that hadn't been figured out, I think, was the idea of poisoning the *indirect* jump branch predictor.

also, who on earth would describe a patch that turned off the flag on amd cpus because they weren't vulnerable as a "tantrum" except intel's pr department?

Basically the embargo was lifted early because people were repro-ing the exploit and posting about it publicly on Twitter. Well... https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/meltdown-and-spectre-heres-what-intel-apple-microsoft-others-are-doing-about-it/

quote:

AMD's behavior before this all went public was also rather suspect. AMD, like the other important companies in this field, was contacted privately by the researchers, and the intent was to keep all the details private until a coordinated release next week, in a bid to maximize the deployment of patches before revealing the problems. Generally that private contact is made on the condition that any embargo or non-disclosure agreement is honored.

It's true that AMD didn't actually reveal the details of the flaw before the embargo was up, but one of the company's developers came very close. Just after Christmas, an AMD developer contributed a Linux patch that excluded AMD chips from the Meltdown mitigation. In the note with that patch, the developer wrote, "The AMD microarchitecture does not allow memory references, including speculative references, that access higher privileged data when running in a lesser privileged mode when that access would result in a page fault."

It was this specific information—that the flaw involved speculative attempts to access kernel data from user programs—that arguably led to researchers figuring out what the problem was. The message narrowed the search considerably, outlining the precise conditions required to trigger the flaw.

Granted, almost all I know is from that ars article but no one's really pushing back against that assertion.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Wasn't this the flow of some Linux expo from last year, or am I misremembering?

vvv Oh yes, that was it, thanks!

canis minor fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 8, 2018

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

canis minor posted:

Wasn't this the flow of some Linux expo from last year, or am I misremembering?

naw that was "you registered for our security conference now type your twitter name and password here so you can tweet your followers about it (and your willingness to type your foo password into things that aren't foo)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Windows's patch is causing some AMD systems to brick:

https://betanews.com/2018/01/08/microsoft-meltdown-spectre-patch-bricks-amd-pcs/

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

good

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

brb time to have an existential crisis

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i hate how bricked doesn’t mean “magic smoke escaped” anymore

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

i hate how bricked doesn’t mean “magic smoke escaped” anymore

We can't have nice things. Nothing is sacred.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer

:same:

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

how could they tell

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
hopping on the "goddamnit 'bricked' should mean hardware murdered not just OS fuct" bandwagon :bahgawd:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

flakeloaf posted:

naw that was "you registered for our security conference now type your twitter name and password here so you can tweet your followers about it (and your willingness to type your foo password into things that aren't foo)

this was rsa

https://www.scmagazineuk.com/rsa-site-captures-plain-text-twitter-logins/article/530717/

https://twitter.com/hypatiadotca/status/690299393723883522

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

less windows machines in the world sounds like a win win

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
so if a security researcher discovers a security flaw and just shares it with the world rather than report it to the vendor, what responsibility does the reporter bear?

seems like at very least they’re incurring some amount of civil liability: if Alice discloses a 0-day and Bob gets compromised by it, I expect Bob would prevail when suing Alice for negligence, if he can show a connection between Alice’s publication and his subsequent compromise (such as comments in exploit code referencing her publication)

one could even say that at the scale at which these things affect us, Alice could conceivably be charged criminally: a security researcher should be reasonably expected to know that publishing a flaw will result in quite rapid exploit development and use, so publishing a 0-day could be construed as criminal negligence

am I off base here?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I guess one could always disclose anonymously

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

there’s no responsibility to report it to the vendor. they made the product with the bug so it’s their fault and nobody else’s.

that said if you want a career in infosec and aren’t tavis then you should think carefully about doing something like that. many employers will see that kind of behaviour and decide they can’t trust you.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://www.eff.org/issues/coders/vulnerability-reporting-faq

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

mrmcd posted:

Basically the embargo was lifted early because people were repro-ing the exploit and posting about it publicly on Twitter. Well... https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/meltdown-and-spectre-heres-what-intel-apple-microsoft-others-are-doing-about-it/

Granted, almost all I know is from that ars article but no one's really pushing back against that assertion.

the cyber.wtf post that perfectly described meltdown but wrongly concludes that it doesn’t work was from July

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Evis posted:

there’s no responsibility to report it to the vendor. they made the product with the bug so it’s their fault and nobody else’s.

seems like a sufficiently good lawyer could twist it into "you're a HACKER!! who HACKED!! and gave away HACKING TOOLS!! and that's why we lost all the moneys"

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ate all the Oreos posted:

seems like a sufficiently good lawyer could twist it into "you're a HACKER!! who HACKED!! and gave away HACKING TOOLS!! and that's why we lost all the moneys"

hasn’t that exact thing been used when suing infosec researchers before

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ate all the Oreos posted:

in the US vuln disclosures are more protected by the 1A than poc code, which can get closer to being a criminal tool

eff posted:

Publication of truthful information is protected by the First Amendment. Both source code and object code are also protected speech. Therefore truthful vulnerability information or proof of concept code are constitutionally protected.

This protection, however, is not absolute. Rather, it means that legal restrictions on publishing vulnerability reports must be viewpoint-neutral and narrowly tailored. Practically speaking, this means it is very rare for the publication of non-code information lead to legal liability. For example, a researcher who shares vulnerability information with people he knows will use the information for criminal purposes may be illegal.
Conspiracy requires proof of an agreement to commit a crime and an act that advances that objective. If you distribute vulnerability information pursuant to an agreement to illegally access computers, that is a crime.

Vulnerability publication could be aiding and abetting if the publisher distributes the information with the intent to further someone else’s illegal activity. Intent is usually inferred from the circumstances surrounding the report. Because of First Amendment concerns, only rarely is criminal intent inferred from a publication to a general audience even if the publisher knows it will be used as part of an illegal act.2 Publishing to peers, to the government or to a general audience is less likely to be aiding and abetting than is publishing to a single person with a grudge against the company. The more useful the information you publish is for criminal activity the more risk you face of aiding and abetting liability, even if you publish to people with whom you have no prior relationship.
Consider whether your proof of concept code is written or distributed in a manner that suggests it is “primarily” for the purpose of gaining unauthorized access or unlawful data interception, or marketed for that purpose. Courts look both to the attributes of the tool itself as well as the circumstances surrounding the distribution of that tool to determine whether it would violate such a ban.

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
https://twitter.com/qrs/status/950462488348446721

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

This is going to take years and years, isn't it?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

rjmccall posted:

theo is somewhat correct to be mad at intel

theo is also a loon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

:2bong:

• Locked thread