Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
My advisor keeps referring me to others as a (printed) sensor expert, even though all my experience is working with mostly temperature and pressure sensors with a few random ones in the field. On one hand, I guess I have more experience than most of the cohort working with common industrial stuff. On the other, I can barely print my labs to turn in and have repeatedly told everyone I know nothing about printing methods or circuit integration like they are talking about.

So I guess that means I'm a perfect fit to design, manufacture and then test a wearable circuit for health monitoring? Grad school is super weird, basically just ignore prereqs for anything and then try and catch up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Late to sleep chat: use a white noise machine.
I’ve got one by LectroFan. It’s fantastic. Worth every penny.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

brand engager posted:

Lmao the VA guy for my school isn't back from holiday until Monday. The admissions people said they will extend the deadline for people in my situation (dunno why they didn't let anyone know beforehand)

The extension didn't go through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag1o3koTLWM
I readded the classes this morning and called them, hopefully the deadline actually gets extended or the classes will drop again at midnight.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
drat dude that blows. Hopefully it works out for you

all apologies
May 13, 2008

woah

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Yes. I no longer understand teenagers. It's us, we're the olds now.

I am going to school away from where I grew up prior to the Army (all the trouble and fun and hometown skanks), I live near the beach but I just dont get along with many people there. Yeah im good looking and I catch some of the younger girls who think they can handle it eye loving me but I can relate to anyone. I know its normal but drat

lol I dont know man

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

bahgawd they actually did it

also I added some classes that were full when I first made the schedule so this whole thing might end up being a net plus.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

cowboy elvis posted:

Seconding this, they own. I gave mine to a friend because my computer fans do a great job of this as well, to the point that I’ll wake up if my cat steps on the power switch and turns everything off. The silence is deafening.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Back in school for the first time in a decade, aced my first stats quiz. Gonna be a good semester.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

I LICK APE PUSSY posted:

Back in school for the first time in a decade, aced my first stats quiz. Gonna be a good semester.

Hell yeah dude, it's way better being older in college and not stressing about where to get beer or whatever i did the first time.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
Oh wait it was the basically homeless part that hosed me but still

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

mods change my name posted:

Oh wait it was the basically homeless part that hosed me but still

So much easier not being stuck in a dorm, eating lovely food, wishing for money etc.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Anyone get their book stipend yet?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, got mine the day after Christmas for whatever random reason.

Another guy just got his today, but he got all his paperwork in late. Our VA person at our school is really good though.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

not caring here posted:

Yeah, got mine the day after Christmas for whatever random reason.

Another guy just got his today, but he got all his paperwork in late. Our VA person at our school is really good though.

Well what the gently caress. I got the email from the VA saying they received my enrollment certification for this semester on December goddamned 12th.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I wish I had an answer for you but the VA is just gonna VA.

poo poo is so loving random and I get so many partial payments that they could be shorting me and I wouldn't even know.

I'm pretty sure it eventually works out though. Might drop in to see your schools VA person though, just in case there's something dumb going on.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
So I called them. Turns out that the system shows that they approved my stipend to be sent out on December 26th, then... didn't send it out.

Goddamnit, VA.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

McNally posted:

So I called them. Turns out that the system shows that they approved my stipend to be sent out on December 26th, then... didn't send it out.

Goddamnit, VA.

Everything's coming up McNally.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Soulex posted:

Everything's coming up McNally.

I like to think that every time McNally needs *insert big organization here* to do something for him, it gets routed through Ralph Wiggum.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

This semester I'm starting to work in a biochem research lab for credit. I get to wash glassware for a few weeks to start, which isn't that big of a deal since the Navy made me do a lot of mundane poo poo like this.

Now I get to try and explain to the foreign grad students why the Navy made us do mundane stuff a lot.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Who do I talk to about getting WEAMS school help? The school I want to go to is listed on WEAMS but has no VA official for certification. Like the lady they listed was like “what the gently caress?” So I would need it certified?

They’ve never had a GI Bill person go through their University. They said they would love to have me as the first (naturally) but I got to figure this out.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
School overcharged me again by $666 which I didn't receive and then tried to make me pay it. The provost Dean is my new friend with which I am raising hell. Everytime someone starts with the bullshit I've just been siccing her on them. What goes around comes around motherbitches.

Whoever said faculty isn't used to students standing up for themselves is very right. I mean I'm tall and heavily tattoo'd and have resting bitchface but what a bunch of pussies, cowards and grandparents.

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 11, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Bruce Boxlicker posted:

Whoever said faculty isn't used to students standing up for themselves is very right. I mean I'm tall and heavily tattoo'd and have resting bitchface but what a bunch of pussies, cowards and grandparents.

Yeah that part probably helps too.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
This is the third term they've done it. Coincidentally this is my third term at this school. I was fine until they started loving up. Despite your implication you're backwards. My bad attitude is working way better than trying to be patient like I have been!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Oh I always encourage other students here to escalate upwards a level or two when they have an actual grievance. Most of them get told off by the low clerk level people (often students themselves) and just move on by ignoring the problem. Its way more fun to raise the issue anyway.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
I apologize for being defensive then. School bureaucracy makes me crazy.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I had a problem with the registrar at my school and took it up with the dean of students.

They gave the registrar an award, but the two are probably unrelated.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
One of my favorite registrar/admin tricks is to tell them "Do you mind if I sit here and wait for confirmation? It's really important" and/or ask to wait on the line. It puts them in a very awkward position if they were planning on blowing you off.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Still no book stipend. Tuesday marks a week since I first called, so I expect I'll be calling again with a "what gives?"

After spending 20 minutes on hold, of course.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

McNally posted:

Still no book stipend. Tuesday marks a week since I first called, so I expect I'll be calling again with a "what gives?"

After spending 20 minutes on hold, of course.

Apparently the requests to process a payment manually are "handled in the order they are received," which suggests to me that the VA is so monumentally hosed up that there's a loving backlog of payments that need to be manually inputted.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I still haven’t gotten mine which I submitted like a month ago. And I still have to submit this month’s.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
my stuff to submitted in the middle of december and i got everything on time. tuition was paid a few days after the semester started but i was certified a while ago and got my book stipend the first week of january.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I finally got mine submitted last month for 1606 backpay from last semester and for this semester. I still don't have anything but "will be processed in the order it was received".

I probably should have gotten it all done last semester early on but every time I went to do it something was up and completely wrecking my schedule.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

I’m waiting for that Pell Grant money.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

holocaust bloopers posted:

I just looked it up, was intrigued as hell, then listened to some samples and was confused again.

I have trouble imagining that helping me sleep

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

It creates noise to block out the noise that punctuates sleep. I sleep in a room full of snoring and farting assholes. We play lullabies. Helps drown out the dogs.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
also just something to note: if you feel like your spring semester book stipend is less than it should be, make sure you didn't over overpaid last semester.

i got $125 ($40-whatever it is x3 credit hours) less than i should have this semester because i dropped a class last semester.

however, i immediately replaced it with another equal credit class so i shouldn't be out $125, but the reasoning behind doing it makes sense.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

boop the snoot posted:

if you feel like your spring semester book stipend is less than it should be

Hahahahaha.

Anyway, they still haven't sent mine yet.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I've been getting pdfs from the class groupme. It's pretty sweet and cuts down on book costs. Outside of that, most classes are fine as long as you have something close to the current edition so the 1$ international is the way to go.

I'm sitting at 22 units this quarter, it's going to be a long 10 weeks.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The VA reports that they estimate it will take 30 days from the date of entry to process these manual payments, but they hope to do it in 14. Apparently their computers poo poo the bed and I (and apparently a bunch of others) exist in a state of limbo, with my enrollment simultaneously verified and unverified.

So I asked them to add a 20% late fee.

They said no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

My initial Voc Rehab appointment is supposed to be Tuesday. :cry: