Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

InterrupterJones posted:

Thought-Knot Seer doesn't immediately win the game when it hits the battlefield.

You mean the 4 drop that is often a 2-3 drop? While technically correct thoughtknot is arguably better than bbe in the deck its played in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Can someone hep me, a non-Modern player, as to why Affinity does not include any cards with affinity?

I'm just disappointed we never saw a top 8 listing "Melira-less Pod-less Melira Pod"

8Rack vs 8Whack is always fun to see though

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Can someone hep me, a non-Modern player, as to why Affinity does not include any cards with affinity?

Cause the best cards don't have it. Cranial and Master kind of have Affinity. It was more relevant in the broken Block deck.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

mcmagic posted:

IDK if it's too late for this or not but my advice to a new modern player is the more uninteractive the better.

I've had modern burn for like a year+ at this point, maybe two years? I also have mono-blue merfolk for when I wanna play some straight lines. Have modern spirits and wb tokens too.

I haven't played any competitive modern, all casual stuff, but yeah I'm ready for something a little more complicated, I like the idea of GDS and also already have most of it so :shrug:

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

InterrupterJones posted:

Thought-Knot Seer doesn't immediately win the game when it hits the battlefield.

TKS doesn’t cost 4.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Balon posted:

TKS doesn’t cost 4.

It do.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

It don't tho.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Yeah let's not have this pedantic argument. Sure, TKS gets ramped out before turn 4. I think it's a little disingenuous to make the claim that BBE is just a 4 drop and a spell when it was a lynch pin of the deck whose gameplan was 'run both players out of cards and win with superior quality of top decks' if you are going to make the argument that TKS is more synergistic with its deck.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Except when it matters.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

Give me an example.

Nahiri, the Harbinger in non-Emrakul decks. Gideon Jura. Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet. Siege Rhino. Jace, Architect of Thought. Supreme Verdict. Do you need more, or is this sufficient?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I wonder how a BBE unban would affect the number of Fatal Pushes in Jund decks.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

Cause the best cards don't have it. Cranial and Master kind of have Affinity. It was more relevant in the broken Block deck.

To expand on this, there's basically two kinds of cards in an Affinity deck: cheap artifacts, and cards that reward you for having a critical mass of artifacts on the battlefield. In the original Affinity decks, you needed Frogmite and Myr Enforcer to fill out your ratio of cheap artifacts to payoffs, alongside Cranial Plating and Arcbound Ravager. Nowadays cards like Etched Champion, Steel Overseer, and Master of Etherium do that job better.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

in non-Emrakul decks. Gideon Jura. Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet. Siege Rhino. Jace, Architect of Thought. Supreme Verdict. Do you need more, or is this sufficient?

Nahiri, the Harbinger - rarely played - but fine. I dig it.
Gideon Jura - 5 cmc
Kaltias - LOL?
Siege Rhino - Barely in any rock/azban lists as it is and is probably just straight up bad right now.
Jace, Architect of Thought - Sure, but barely.
Supreme Verdict - Not a 4 drop, but actually a good spell in modern.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

Gideon Jura - 5 cmc
Kaltias - LOL?
Siege Rhino - Barely in any rock/azban lists as it is and is probably just straight up bad right now.

Supreme Verdict, literally a four mana spell which occupies the spot on your curve otherwise taken up by other four mana spells, is not a four mana spell? Additionally, how can you defend the position that 4cmc cards that don't win the game are unplayable if at the same time you say it's fine for a 5cmc card that doesn't win the game to be played? Like, listen, if your argument is that 4 mana value cards have to be very good to see play in Modern, you're 100% correct. If your argument is that they can't see play, however, you're clearly wrong just based on what cards see play in the format as-is. We haven't even gotten into stuff like Collected Company, the random expensive cards from the Blood Moon piles, or even Ranger of Eos. Maybe Bloodbraid is worse than all of those cards, but I think that's not very likely. Bloodbraid getting 6 mana worth of value is already great. When you Bloodbraid into 7 mana worth of value, you get so far ahead on the board that the game is often won on the spot.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

Supreme Verdict, literally a four mana spell which occupies the spot on your curve otherwise taken up by other four mana spells, is not a four mana spell? Additionally, how can you defend the position that 4cmc cards that don't win the game are unplayable if at the same time you say it's fine for a 5cmc card that doesn't win the game to be played? Like, listen, if your argument is that 4 mana value cards have to be very good to see play in Modern, you're 100% correct. If your argument is that they can't see play, however, you're clearly wrong just based on what cards see play in the format as-is. We haven't even gotten into stuff like Collected Company, the random expensive cards from the Blood Moon piles, or even Ranger of Eos. Maybe Bloodbraid is worse than all of those cards, but I think that's not very likely. Bloodbraid getting 6 mana worth of value is already great. When you Bloodbraid into 7 mana worth of value, you get so far ahead on the board that the game is often won on the spot.

4 "drop", as in a permanent.

As for Jura, he isn't exactly just a value card. Against creature decks he can basically take over the game right away which is exactly what your 4+ cmc cards should be doing and what I was arguing for. I get you see a post from me and it gets your panties in a twist, but :wtc:: .

TheDemon posted:

Yeah uhhh Collected Company is a thing.

:wtc:

For fucks sake people.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 8, 2018

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Yeah uhhh Collected Company is a thing which has almost the same idea as BBE behind it. Play one card, get two for a mana discount. Value card doesn't have to be a permanent.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

4 "drop", as in a permanent.

As for Jura, he isn't exactly just a value card. Against creature decks he can basically take over the game right away which is exactly what your 4+ cmc cards should be doing and what I was arguing for. I get you see a post from me and it gets your panties in a twist, but :jfc:.

Yes, and what I'm saying is that BBE oftentimes does exactly that. It also synergizes very well alongside Kolaghan's Command and Liliana, the Last Hope. The power level of the card is clearly there for Modern play; it already sees play in higher powered formats, there's no reason why it wouldn't see play in Modern.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

Yes, and what I'm saying is that BBE oftentimes does exactly that. It also synergizes very well alongside Kolaghan's Command and Liliana, the Last Hope. The power level of the card is clearly there for Modern play; it already sees play in higher powered formats, there's no reason why it wouldn't see play in Modern.

Jund decks with enough liliana of the last hopes and k commands to consistantly hit them with BBE is going to have a bad time in modern. That is just the way it is as much as I wish it wasn't so.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Sickening posted:

Jund decks with enough liliana of the last hopes and k commands to consistantly hit them with BBE is going to have a bad time in modern. That is just the way it is as much as I wish it wasn't so.

That's an exaggeration. The finals of the most recent SCG open was a Jeskai Control mirror. The reason why Jund doesn't see play right now is because it's both slower than GDS and also happens to be only slightly better at accruing value. Modern right now is not nearly as fast or linear as people act, and even when it is very fast or very linear, cards like Kommand line up very well against the fast decks of the format. If Jund could lean more heavily into the value strategy with some Bloodbraids, it would probably get to occupy a space between GDS and Abzan. As it stands, there's just no reason to play Jund. As an aside, Jund also happens to be very good against Lantern so if you want that deck to have some more checks on it's power...

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

You guys are hella dumb if you reply to / don't have Sickening on ignore.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cactrot posted:

You are a hella dumb baby to have people on ignore, much less talk about it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cactrot posted:

Nobody cares about your metaposting about who you don't like. Sac up and deal with opinions you don't agree with.

Sickening posted:

Bloodbraid would see play in Jund 100%, but I would question whether it would be all that broken given you're just hitting basically anything in the deck which may or may not be relevant. I don't think it's that fun of a card because Cascade loving sucks - it's a random feelbad and attaching a 3/2 haste to "draw a card then cast it" is way above rate. But it's not likely to break anything in the least. Everything else Jund does is as fair as it gets in Modern and paying 4 mana on your main phase to Bloodbraid into Liliana doesn't even rate on the level of broken poo poo that happens in Modern like casting 25 spells and then casting a sorcery that murders your opponent, or playing a land that effectively says "T: Add 2 relevantly colored mana to your mana pool."

I'm honestly not sure what the argument is against Bloodbraid because I can't imagine some other deck wants Bloodbraid Elf. Maybe like Ponza would play it? I dunno, anything that actually *breaks* with Cascade already has an existing Cascade deck.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 8, 2018

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Nobody cares about your metaposting about who you don't like. Sac up and deal with opinions you don't agree with.

Bloodbraid would see play in Jund 100%, but I would question whether it would be all that broken given you're just hitting basically anything in the deck which may or may not be relevant. I don't think it's that fun of a card because Cascade loving sucks - it's a random feelbad and attaching a 3/2 haste to "draw a card then cast it" is way above rate. But it's not likely to break anything in the least. Everything else Jund does is as fair as it gets in Modern and paying 4 mana on your main phase to Bloodbraid into Liliana doesn't even rate on the level of broken poo poo that happens in Modern like casting 25 spells and then casting a sorcery that murders your opponent, or playing a land that effectively says "T: Add 2 relevantly colored mana to your mana pool."

I'm honestly not sure what the argument is against Bloodbraid because I can't imagine some other deck wants Bloodbraid Elf. Maybe like Ponza would play it? I dunno, anything that actually *breaks* with Cascade already has an existing Cascade deck.

Totally agree. I WANT bbe to be good. I want my FNM baby's to be free at last.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

Cactrot posted:

If I blocked everyone who I held in contempt this thread would just be a conversation between mcmagic and the new guy with a ned beatty avatar

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Ponza would probably take out their Bonfires to accommodate BBE and I don't know if that makes the deck any better. Probably not. Maybe if you load up with 4x Beast Within?

E: Was gonna say 4x maindeck Molten Rain but that probably wouldn't fly with Blood Moon!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 8, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
We moved past this to talk at Sickening about pedantic bullshit but this from Cheaty McCheattie's post was great:

quote:

(ie. Yugioh... one of the scummiest communities I've seen and glad I chose the better game and I am no longer apart of their community for reasons I won't go into detail about).

Dude chose to be part of MTG and part from Yugioh by getting banned from the latter.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/rivals-no-other-part-1-2018-01-08

Read how we designed a bunch of bad cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
What I'm getting from Sickening's posts is that taking an effect that's playable as a 4 mana spell in Modern, and putting it on a 4 mana creature, turns it into an unplayable-unless-it-literally-wins-the-game "4 drop".

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol
Hello, please enjoy https://goodgamery.com/2018/01/announcing-from-the-vault-obvobvobv/

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jabor posted:

What I'm getting from Sickening's posts is that taking an effect that's playable as a 4 mana spell in Modern, and putting it on a 4 mana creature, turns it into an unplayable-unless-it-literally-wins-the-game "4 drop".

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. Thank you. :rolleyes:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Glad I was able to clear things up.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

A friend linked to me this earlier and yeah, it's fantastic.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Yeah that's my experience with Mind's Desire. It's pretty funny that Desire is restricted in Vintage and Paradoxical Outcome isn't.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Flip Yr Wig posted:

"Affinity" is the Ship of Theseus of deck names, where they've replaced all the cards from the original but they think it's still the same deck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Gideon Jura - 5 cmc
Kaltias - LOL?

Didn't you argue with me for like 17 pages about Kalitas? lol

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It's called Affinity because it's based off of the Standard Ravager Affinity deck. I suspect any kind of artifact based aggro in Modern will just stick with Affinity unless you're being picky.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

Wasn't that a very different modern?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mcmagic posted:

Modern changes. :(

I also think the arguement was kalitas over huntsmaster but who can remember.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Sickening posted:

Modern changes. :(

I also think the arguement was kalitas over huntsmaster but who can remember.

Just busting your balls. I know it was played a bit.

I'm actually liking Fanatical Firebrand in Red btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Lone Goat posted:

"Affinity" is the Ship of Theseus of deck names, where they've replaced all the cards from the original but they think it's still the same deck.

Ship, a much more evocative name than Robots. Thanks!