Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the true luxury in america is spending $1200 a month on a pickup and lying to yourself every day that the seats arent poo poo and the ride isnt garbage

They are super loving comfortable, dont be an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

cool startup feel posted:

What is a “real car”

Anything that isn't body of frame

Charles posted:

Wasn't there a New Zealand poster who hated the Colorado? Or was that another truck?

edit: Looking at Wikipedia, the Holden version has different engines and is produced in a different factory, so might not be comparable.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Colorado#Second_generation_(2012%96present)
edit: Sorry the URL doesn't like the dash character. Stupid forum software from 2001.

May have been me. The Colorado is garbage tier but I don't think the Ranger is a lot better (indeed one of the Aussie posters said they were even worse). Pretty sure our Colorado is using the same Italian diesel as the US market one (we pretty much don't do petrol pickup trucks, kinda defeats the purpose of them) but they appear to have fixed up the insides quite a bit for the US judging by photos at least.

Really all the utes we get are built for the Thai market and it shows badly - the only one that stands out is the VW one because it has something much closer to a car quality interior

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Well they're not really utes, they are trucks on a full frame.
The ranger has a few issues, but is generally regarded as the best because the others are so dire. If you don't need the diesel ranger for hard work, many go for the vw amarok. E: well used to before the huge dramas with VW emissions scandal

My brother has a busted colorado right now

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Jan 9, 2018

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
My buddy has a Colorado and it seems real good for what it is. The interior is about the same quality as a Cruze, and the ride is about as good as a mid size truck with a live axle can be.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

"Silly boys! Jeeps are for girls!"

Tire cover on a pink wrangler with 20+" pink aftermarket wheels.

don't doxx me

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Residency Evil posted:

There's a part of me that regrets selling my GTI and getting a Cayman. I miss being completely anonymous while driving. :sigh:

At least you're downtown, the last few days would not have been the best time for you to have been driving up in the 'burbs. I think the house across the street and one down had a water line break, because while the rest of the road was relatively clear, there was a big three-hump buildup of icy snow consistent with "packed snow and tire grooves here." Thing is, this at a slight left-hand curve just after the crest of a hill, and as I was driving yesterday a guy in a Porsche (with the license plate "993 GT3") was frowning as he walked around his car just after the road hazard. Whoops.

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

tetrapyloctomy posted:

At least you're downtown, the last few days would not have been the best time for you to have been driving up in the 'burbs. I think the house across the street and one down had a water line break, because while the rest of the road was relatively clear, there was a big three-hump buildup of icy snow consistent with "packed snow and tire grooves here." Thing is, this at a slight left-hand curve just after the crest of a hill, and as I was driving yesterday a guy in a Porsche (with the license plate "993 GT3") was frowning as he walked around his car just after the road hazard. Whoops.

I can't form a good mental picture of this. So were the humps made from tires compressing the ice and snow, but there's three of them? Was the Porsche guy in the road or in a ditch, and what happened to his car (I assume a broken splitter)?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Residency Evil posted:

There's a part of me that regrets selling my GTI and getting a Cayman. I miss being completely anonymous while driving. :sigh:

Which GTI and which Cayman? I'm thinking about doing this exact thing with my GTI

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

D C posted:

They are super loving comfortable, dont be an idiot.

Not compared to actual luxury sedans with suspensions designed for carrying people instead of 2000lbs of cargo. Every time I've driven in a luxury body-on-frame I have to say "Oh hey you almost forget it's a truck" to not be offensive but really what I'm thinking is "Why did you spend $80,000 on this piece of poo poo you're not even going to haul anything why didn't you just get a loving luxury car?"

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
My ridiculous Nissan Titan Pro-4X 4x4 was as comfortable as my Volvo S80.

And my wife liked the Truck a lot more than the car, despite not giving a poo poo about cars, not being interested in trucks at all, and not being able to tell you which one was the Volvo and which one was the Nissan.

*edit* But I do agree, yes, that a proper luxury car is obviously going to be more comfortable than a truck. However, modern trucks are pretty loving comfortable.

eyebeem fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 9, 2018

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Plus as the roads in the US continue to deteriorate truck suspension (with enough sidewall, of course) is pretty nice.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Man, I love me some luxury cars, but you're kidding yourself if you don't think those big F250 diesel trucks aren't comfy as gently caress. I was test driving one while back and it felt like a tank with a sofa in it. Having that commanding height on the road and the general size of the thing was pretty boss for being a twat waffle and nobody can do poo poo about it. Too bad the fucker was $40k used, that's just too much. It'd be used for pulling a goose neck horse trailer or...a race car :getin: of which I have neither. The thing had all the tech of a luxury car and you can actually throw hay bales and engines and trapped opossums back there and it wont gently caress up the interior of the car. Yes, that last one I had to do with a focus hatchback, all windows down, and gagging at the stench of that little shitheap of a marsupial.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Dave Inc. posted:

Not compared to actual luxury sedans with suspensions designed for carrying people instead of 2000lbs of cargo. Every time I've driven in a luxury body-on-frame I have to say "Oh hey you almost forget it's a truck" to not be offensive but really what I'm thinking is "Why did you spend $80,000 on this piece of poo poo you're not even going to haul anything why didn't you just get a loving luxury car?"

Because 'good enough' is fine for most people instead of 'most optimal' that a car nerd cares about. Also, in 10 years when that S-class gets towed to the scrap yard for costing $5,000 a year to maintain the truck will likely still be going strong. Not to mention a truck/SUV is inherently more versatile than a luxury sedan.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I’d be that pedant who stopped to tell him there was no 993 GT3 ;)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

You also can't take shortcuts through ditches and across meridians in an S Class.

Buying an impractical car that's too powerful to ever drive anywhere near its limits on the street? Awesome bro, car nerd high-fives all around!

Buying a truck that's capable of more than you'll generally use it for? lol retard i bet its never even been on the Nurembergring

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

drgitlin posted:

I’d be that pedant who stopped to tell him there was no 993 GT3 ;)

Phone typo. 991.

Whiz Palace posted:

I can't form a good mental picture of this. So were the humps made from tires compressing the ice and snow, but there's three of them? Was the Porsche guy in the road or in a ditch, and what happened to his car (I assume a broken splitter)?

Nearly the full width of the lane was covered in snow/slush. Cars drove through the lane, carving two grooves. Water from the broken line froze this. Sun melted the two grooves and the entire opposite lane, leaving a hump, the left tire groove, the underbody hump, the right tire groove, and the shoulder hump. Which sounds kinky.

I did not stick around long enough to assess his damage in detail. I know the car, and he often drives it like a clueless old dude (not paying attention at lights, weirdly slow and ponderous turns), so I scooted around and drove off. No obvious damage to the splitter, though, I think he just shaved the hump.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Wheeee posted:

You also can't take shortcuts through ditches and across meridians in an S Class.

Buying an impractical car that's too powerful to ever drive anywhere near its limits on the street? Awesome bro, car nerd high-fives all around!

Buying a truck that's capable of more than you'll generally use it for? lol retard i bet its never even been on the Nurembergring

My brother has one of those factory lifted long bed crew cab F250s, leather all around. It's ridiculous and takes up 2 parking spaces, not to mention what you think is a "safe" distance is basically right up on someone's rear end.

He's not gonna haul poo poo either. Just likes the ride, height, and of course the emotional satisfaction of driving a big truck.

It's fine, and not for me. Given 60K, I would get a strung out import and probably get shat on by the BUY MURICAN midwesterners I live around. To each their own.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Wheeee posted:

I'd be super impressed if a truck drove across a meridian. Pretty sure driving across a median is illegal though.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I guess the Fusion Sport didn't take off the way Ford wanted it too. I was at the dealer dropping off my SHO for some recall work to be done, and they have 4 2017 Sports marked way the hell down. MSRP 37.6, marked down to 28.5.

Even the 2018 on the lot is 5K off MSRP.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It's a shame Ford didn't do much of anything to the handling or ride of the Fusion Sport. A great drivetrain let down by a ho-hum chassis.

But those are some tempting prices...

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If I was in the market I could overlook a few issues I had with the car at those kinds of discounts. Since I started working from home though I don't drive enough to warrant buying a new car at this point.

Under 30K.... tempting

http://www.jordanford.net/new/Ford/2017-Ford-Fusion-San+Antonio-e5cd44300a0e0a1733aaeffab39bf8fb.htm?searchDepth=4:5

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

AWD turbo v6 sounds good. I'd buy it used.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Fo3 posted:

Well they're not really utes, they are trucks on a full frame.

They're still referred to as utes here. If you want to be a real purist then only the Commodore was a Ute in modern(ish) times because the Falcon had a separate tray

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass
You guys are crazy I traded in my Mustang on a new F150 with the lovely engine (5.slo) and I love it. Launch from a light in 4hi will embarrass most other small peeners that also stoplight race, does massive burnouts, awesome parking lot drifts, goes off road, can tow up to 9k and is comfy as all hell. With the OEM 20's I can see over 90% of traffic and people usually move out of my way on the highway.

The only thing I really miss is driving a manual but that's what my wife's car is for. I seriously get the whole "truck" thing now but it doesn't detract from me being a car nut at all. It's just a great do everything package.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

skipdogg posted:

I guess the Fusion Sport didn't take off the way Ford wanted it too. I was at the dealer dropping off my SHO for some recall work to be done, and they have 4 2017 Sports marked way the hell down. MSRP 37.6, marked down to 28.5.

Even the 2018 on the lot is 5K off MSRP.

Holy crap you weren't kidding. Dealer 5 miles from me has a $39,360 marked at $28,549. If it weren't white I might be rethinking the Stinger right now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

davebo posted:

Holy crap you weren't kidding. Dealer 5 miles from me has a $39,360 marked at $28,549. If it weren't white I might be rethinking the Stinger right now.

I just cruised some of the Fusion forums, a 93 octane tune is getting people into the 12.9-13.1 range in the 1/4 and sub 5 second 0-60's. The reliability looks scary though, guess there was a bad batch of cylinder heads, saw a few threads about folks getting entire engines replaced with less than 10K on the odo.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BrownieVK posted:

You guys are crazy I traded in my Mustang on a new F150 with the lovely engine (5.slo) and I love it. Launch from a light in 4hi will embarrass most other small peeners that also stoplight race, does massive burnouts, awesome parking lot drifts, goes off road, can tow up to 9k and is comfy as all hell. With the OEM 20's I can see over 90% of traffic and people usually move out of my way on the highway.

The only thing I really miss is driving a manual but that's what my wife's car is for. I seriously get the whole "truck" thing now but it doesn't detract from me being a car nut at all. It's just a great do everything package.
Same. I've done hauling and camping and towing and moving twice with mine, and while the transmissions takes a second to kick down, put it in sports mode and it hauls rear end. Bit cumbersome to park, but love it otherwise.
Same mileage as my 5.0 was, too. Which is good enough for me.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

eriddy posted:

Which GTI and which Cayman? I'm thinking about doing this exact thing with my GTI

2010 GTI, 2015 Cayman S (both 6-speed)

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Hah, yeah. I'm lucky in that I have covered parking and walk to work, so I can avoid taking it out on awful days like the ones last week.

Still, living downtown means that I've put an embarrassingly low number of miles on it while still being the crazy person that wakes up at 6am on Sundays to wash/wax it to not inconvenience the other people that share my parking. There are weeks when I just drive it at night so it doesn't sit.

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 10, 2018

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

So I thought I'd summarize my thoughts on the KIA Stinger in a little review

Exterior:
All lights on the car are LED, every single one and they look glorious.
Engine sounds better than an econobox but not as good as an AMG, S4, SRT, Aston Martin etc.
Rear 1/4 panel view looks the best IMO.
The headlights turn with the steering wheel.
There's LED lights on the front door handles. But not the back ones - nitpicks... I want symmetry.

Car looks amazing in person. Nobody knows what it is, and they definitely don't think its a KIA.

Interior:
Much better than in the photos.
Very roomy, the driver's seat feels like a cockpit everything sort of wraps around you without it feeling claustrophobic.
This particular KIA had a red leather interior and it looks and feels great.
It smells like a new luxury car nothing like a KIA.
Auto dimming rear and side mirrors.

The plastics and surfaces are soft touch except in weird awkward places where you wouldn't touch it normally. They aren't as nice as VAG surfaces but they look like they'll age much better with less wear.
Heated seats take time to warm up in the winter, at least like 5 minutes. If you're looking for instant gratification on a cold winters day you're poo poo out of luck.
It's annoying using the touch screen while driving, kept wishing I had a rotary dial since that's what I'm used to on the Mazda3.
The audio system is better than any BOSE system I've heard. It's not Bowers and Wilkins but it's good enough that I wouldn't be complaining.
I get the feeling the Mark Levinsons on the Lexus might be better but I'm not sure, might depend on the audio source.

Can I just say how much I loving love the instrument cluster? It's basic and easy to read. I don't agree with this obsession with making everything an LCD touch screen. Traditional dials and buttons suit me well. There's a nice LCD MFD in between the tach and speedo and that's good enough for me.
Setting your drive mode changes your MFD colour. Comfort is a soft white, while sport makes it red.

There's ambient LED light strips along the dashboard and door cards. You can set the colour to whatever you want. My friend had it set to red and I felt it was appropriate. The lights aren't super bright. It's a soft glow that doesn't illuminate too much to ensure you have good night vision. The red made me feel as if I was riding in a submarine and I quite liked it.

Glass is laminated for sound insulation. Steering wheel is flat bottomed AND heated. gently caress you Audi. Most of the controls and buttons are easy to use and thankfully not controlled via touch screen.

Unfortunately the HVAC information is displayed via the touch screen. When you twist the climate control knob it will show you the fan strength, temperature etc in the same way that an iphone will show you reception, battery life, wifi status and time. So you get a small bar above the screen, it wont block what is happening on the screen the way it does in some other cars.

I also really REALLY like how apple car play can be run in a split screen with the car's built in navigation system. It'll let you dual wield (for lack of a better word) both systems giving you maximum choice.

Driving Experience:
Yes it's numb. But not so numb that you don't know what's happening with the road like a Toyota. But don't expect E46 driving dynamics its not gonna happen.
Steering is very precise and has SOME heft to it, but still fairly light depending on your driving mode. Personally I don't care for heavy steering.
Anything below 1/4 throttle makes the car responsive but tame. Unlike VAG products and a lot of lower end economy boxes, the throttle isn't tuned to delivery jumpy torque at the top of the throttle. To access the power you have to lean into it. There's not even a hint of what the car is capable of at lower throttle. Once you start opening it up the car springs to life and does exactly what you want it to.
Much like it's name sake, it very much could be seen as a stinger missile. Just point and shoot and the car will get you there. I don't have to think too hard about what I'm doing to make the car fit into a space in traffic or accelerate down a twisty.
The traction is very good, if you turn off traction control you can gently caress around and slide but you won't lose control unless you're insane. If you want to go Ken Block, get a Focus RS, the stinger isn't designed for hooning.

You CAN track this car, but I don't think you'll be as happy with it as you would an M4, Giulia or Porsche Cayman--- but then all these cars cost as much as two-three stingers depending on trim level so can you really complain?
Overall I would say the car does it's mission of being a great GT car very very well and I my experiences with it would make me want to pick it hands down over any S4, A4 or 3 series. If I can afford a M4, then I'm not in the Stinger's target market anymore.
The brakes have teeth and will respond as soon as you touch them. But they are not so sensitive as to cause hard stops at the slightest disturbance. I think they strike a very fine balance with them. I have not done enough spirited driving to see how they perform as they start to fade though.

Summary:
It's an excellent car for the money. The best value by far. If you can stomach the depreciation (Which really is the same depreciation you get in a Benz you're just paying less overall) I can't think of anything else in the category that would satisfy as much as the stinger.
I was so happy the whole time I drove the car. It was a mood raising experience. We kept finding excuses to keep driving the car and prolonged our journey so the experience wouldn't stop. Everyone including myself who has ridden in it has not been able to shut up about how good the car is.

CONS:
-Numb like other modern luxury cars.
-Evidence of cost cutting when you look at some fine details.
-No separate screen for climate control- its integrated into main infotainment system.
-No Rotary dial for infotainment.
-Fuel Economy is awful- but you saved 15k on what is essentially an S5 sportback so do you give a gently caress? Nope.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Kraftwerk posted:

They aren't as nice as VAG surfaces but they look like they'll age much better with less wear.

:haw:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Exactly how roomy is the front seat? Do you think there’s a chance that a 6’ 7’’ behemoth would fit? I haven’t bothered going to the dealership since it’s still frigid here.

Right now the set of cars that I can fit in and would be interested in owning consist of the Audi A6 and... the Mustang(!). I think it’s the lack of a sunroof and the joke of a rear seat that lets me fit in the Mustang; the sunroof kills off more mundane cars that you wouldn’t think have a lack of room like the Mazda 6 and Accord. Going to the new car show the last two years was very depressing. :(

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

david_a posted:

Exactly how roomy is the front seat? Do you think there’s a chance that a 6’ 7’’ behemoth would fit? I haven’t bothered going to the dealership since it’s still frigid here.

Right now the set of cars that I can fit in and would be interested in owning consist of the Audi A6 and... the Mustang(!). I think it’s the lack of a sunroof and the joke of a rear seat that lets me fit in the Mustang; the sunroof kills off more mundane cars that you wouldn’t think have a lack of room like the Mazda 6 and Accord. Going to the new car show the last two years was very depressing. :(

I'm 6'4" and I don't think I tapped out the maximum the seat could stretch by. I think you'll be fine but I don't think your passenger will like you if he has to sit behind you. This is a big car. If you can fit in a Dodge Charger or Chrysler 300, you should have zero problems in the Stinger. I also very comfortable headroom in the car too.
Its very roomy for my standards.

I could retract the seat far enough so i'm leaning back with my arms fully outstretched on the wheel. The car will engulf you if you let it. But then again I've been known to sit in less comfortable positions than my height allows. So please sit in the car before you quote me on this.

Side note: Don't sit in the middle seat. Nobody should be subject to that punishment, just permanently lower the cupholder/armrest unless someone lost a bet. The drive shaft tunnel is too high up into the cabin for that seat to make any loving sense. This is a 4 seater unless you need to give Frodo a ride to Mordor. Just make sure Boromir gets shotgun.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Kraftwerk posted:

The audio system is better than any BOSE system I've heard. It's not Bowers and Wilkins but it's good enough that I wouldn't be complaining.
I get the feeling the Mark Levinsons on the Lexus might be better but I'm not sure, might depend on the audio source.

KIA/Hyundai have been putting some frankly pretty amazing audio systems in their cars lately. This includes the higher-end Harman system in the top Genesis G80 trims that I've heard more than one pro sound guy claim to be the best audio system in any car at any price. Having heard it myself, I can't say as I disagree. Harman is arguably the best in the business (which includes JBL, Revel, Infinity, Mark Levinson, Lexicon brands, among others).

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 10, 2018

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I haven’t heard the Panaray system, but the Lexicon in my G90 is pretty good. I don’t know if it’s the best factory system I’ve heard but it is top 3 for sure. Part of what makes the G90 and the big German luxo-barge systems sound better than they might really be is how quiet the interiors are otherwise.

Really want to see the Stinger irl.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Kia/Hyundai have been making killer interiors for a little while now, the issue is that the rest of their cars just aren't on par. Yet.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
Hyundai has hired enough key people from BMW, including the former head of the M division, that calling them "Old BMW 2.0" wouldn't be much of a stretch. Their latest ground-up chassis designs reflect his.

Here's an example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFU-tnQXVIA&t=153s

The acoustic treatment on the G80 really is amazing and has to be one of the quietest cars under $100K. The Hyundai 5.0L V8 is also freakishly smooth and silent and I say that after having owned more than one flagship V8 from Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, GM, etc. The 5.0L in the G80 also manages to feel like just the perfect amount of power in an almost Rolls-like "adequate" power sense.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Today, I would not purchase a Kia/Hyundai in any segment.

Ten years from now, I expect that Kia/Hyundai will be building top-tier vehicles in most or all segments and carry some degree of brand cachet.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Wheeee posted:

Today, I would not purchase a Kia/Hyundai in any segment.

I thought that way 15 years ago. A lot's changed since then.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I think that KIA/Hyundai are hungry and thus aggressively competing and innovating to overthrow one of the bigger brands.

All I ever wanted was a reliable BMW and I’m daring to dream that this is where I’ll get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
When my wife gets a new car here in 2-3 years we'll seriously be looking at the higher trim G70 models.