Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I"m unreasonably mad that LaVoy is the only person to be turned into a snuff film out of all of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

hobbesmaster posted:

people being acquitted due to incompetent police and prosecutors is good because it theoretically encourages them to not violate people’s rights in the future

This would be good if it actually worked that way. This will not change the average run of the mill criminal case. All it will do is make law enforcement and prosecutors flinch at the thought of undertaking cases against obvious wrong doers with a movement of armed idiots who will create a grievance circus.

No poor person in las vegas arrested for running drugs or whatever is going to be treated with any more deference or due process on account of this.

This fuckup will only crystallize the idea that the law does not apply the same way to white people with guns and cowboy hats.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Kazak_Hstan posted:

the law does not apply the same way to white people with guns and cowboy hats.

It's quite clear that it doesn't.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
It's cool how people who are dumb enough to live stream their crimes are able to get away with it because they love flags and guns.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's really great that the US government is powerless against cults.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
http://www.hcn.org/articles/public-lands-will-trump-put-karen-budd-falen-a-hired-gun-for-ranchers-in-top-blm-post

One of the people under consideration for BLM director is literally one of Cliven Bundy’s lawyers (from the beginning of the saga, not recently).

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Looking forward to Klavern Bundy getting sworn in as Secretary of the Interior next month.

Kazak_Hstan posted:

http://www.hcn.org/articles/public-lands-will-trump-put-karen-budd-falen-a-hired-gun-for-ranchers-in-top-blm-post

One of the people under consideration for BLM director is literally one of Cliven Bundy’s lawyers (from the beginning of the saga, not recently).

Uh... ha ha wouldn't it be funny if I had a rich hitherto unknown uncle die, leaving me enough money to be wealthy beyond the dreams of avarace?

*or*

Computer, end simulation.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
What cult do I have to join to manifest dick cancer on every one of these worthless poo poo people? Prosecutors. Bundies. Myself. All of it.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Potato Salad posted:

Yeah, it's time to case caring about bloodshed.

This is not actually the position you want the Feds to take. Somebody you like is likelier to get killed than one of these assholes.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

MOVE, an admittedly contentious black separatist group, literally gets bombed by police. Arial goddamn bombardment from a helicopter on a residential neighborhood, killing eleven (mostly children) and dispossessing hundreds. No one involved in bombing Americans in an American city were charged.

Also worth mentioning: the police ordered the fire department to stand down after the bomb set the row home on fire, and shot the occupants as they attempted to escape the fire.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

old beast lunatic posted:

What cult do I have to join to manifest dick cancer on every one of these worthless poo poo people? Prosecutors. Bundies. Myself. All of it.

hecate is your gal

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

It's really great that the US government is powerless against cults.

idk we're doing alright against islam :hellyeah:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

This can't be overstated. Cops literally bombed basically the urban, black version of the Bundy clan, and none of them got in trouble for it.

wtf i love the MOVE bombing now

Not really, but being the “black version of the Bundy clan” doesn’t exactly inspire sympathy.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

lmao that white people are basically immune to the law in america

that;s funny as gently caress

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Willie Tomg posted:

idk we're doing alright against islam :hellyeah:

I feel like we aren't

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
I keep getting confused when I read BLM

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I keep getting confused when I read BLM

What's the difference? Both BLMs are clearly hate groups against real Americans.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

xrunner posted:

What's the difference? Both BLMs are clearly hate groups against real Americans.

Blue Lives Matter :science:

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Platystemon posted:

wtf i love the MOVE bombing now

Not really, but being the “black version of the Bundy clan” doesn’t exactly inspire sympathy.

I mean when I said "admittedly contentious" in the first post about them it was a diplomatic way of saying "by most counts actually really lovely." I think the analogy holds up okay. However they would have to be infinity times shittier than they were for me to feel like they deserved to be firebombed by cops.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

I can't see these idiots not doing something like this again now that they've gotten away with it twice, and next time I have a hard time believing the feds won't just light their asses up at the first semi-plausible excuse.

:lol: if you think the BLM under Trump is going to be allowed to do anything to the Bundys.

We need Janet Reno 2: Militia Purge Boogaloo.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Evil Fluffy posted:

:lol: if you think the BLM under Trump is going to be allowed to do anything to the Bundys.

Curiously, this is like the one pack of violent rightwing rubes that Trump hasn't gone to bat for, and indeed has spoken out against a couple times (admittedly prior to being elected).

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
"Many people saying BLM under Obama was weak, Bundy's running free, SAD"

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/950614363265617921

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Jesus loving wept.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Murdering children to own the conservatives

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

coathat posted:

Go on.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone tell Jefferson Beauregard Sessions the Bundys are growing weed on that there farm of theirs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Someone tell Jefferson Beauregard Sessions III the Bundys are growing weed on that there farm of theirs.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I doubt they're growing anything on that farm since the farmer has been in jail for 2 years.

I wonder if the Bundys will try to sue for all the disruption and expense they've gone through, or if they'll count their blessings and leave well enough alone?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I mean when I said "admittedly contentious" in the first post about them it was a diplomatic way of saying "by most counts actually really lovely." I think the analogy holds up okay. However they would have to be infinity times shittier than they were for me to feel like they deserved to be firebombed by cops.

I don’t remember where I heard this, since it isn’t showing up on Wikipedia, but I think I read or heard somewhere (maybe a documentary or TV show) that the decision to bomb the MOVE house was based at least partly on intelligence suggesting the house was heavily fortified and/or rigged with explosive booby traps to prevent law enforcement from trying to attempt entry. Wikipedia does say the bombing was intended to target a fortified structure on the roof, so that was apparently another factor.

And you’re right that MOVE was “actually really lovely”. Their house was filthy and filled with vermin that spread to neighboring houses, which MOVE refused to do anything about because of their crazy views on animal rights despite it creating a health hazard for neighbors. They got tons of complaints for using bullhorns to spout crazy political crap in what was supposed to be a family neighborhood. Several MOVE members were charged with poo poo that included making terrorist threats and illegal possession of weapons. They also killed a police officer* and injured a bunch of other people in an earlier standoff and had been (rumored to be) stockpiling weapons, which may be why their members were gunned down while trying to escape the fire; the cops thought they were hostile and would try to kill officers and innocent bystanders.

I’m not saying the bombing or surrounding events were necessarily justified, but let’s not pretend that MOVE was entirely blameless in what happened.

* Whether or not MOVE was actually responsible for the officer’s death is apparenly debatable. Some versions of events suggest that it may have been friendly fire or something.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
None of that justifies dropping a bomb on someone and then shooting people as they run out

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

None of that justifies dropping a bomb on someone and then shooting people as they run out

It doesn’t justify the 60+ other houses that got burned down, either.

All I’m saying is people had pretty good reason to think MOVE was dangerous and capable of bad poo poo. The tactics cops resorted to weren’t great, but it’s not like they should’ve just stood back and done nothing either.

I. M. Gei has issued a correction as of 06:29 on Jan 10, 2018

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

It doesn’t justify the 60+ other houses that got burned down, either.

All I’m saying is people had pretty good reason to think MOVE was dangerous and capable of bad poo poo. The tactics cops resorted to weren’t great, but it’s not like they should’ve just stood back and done nothing either.

Do nothing, or commit war crimes.

If only the police had some middle ground option they could have used instead :argh:

Geoj has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Jan 10, 2018

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Geoj posted:

Do nothing, or commit war crimes.

but enough about foreign policy

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Geoj posted:

Do nothing, or commit borderline war crimes.

If only the police had some middle ground option they could have used :argh:

At the time of the bombing, I think police were working to minimize law enforcement casualties while not expecting the destruction to be as widespread as it ultimately was. They were probably afraid another fire-fight would break out if they had gone into the house through the front door, since MOVE had done that in the past, and that’s part of the reason they opted for the bomb tactic instead of something more peaceful. Obviously they should’ve thought their strategy through a lot more carefully before acting.

And yeah, shooting people as they escaped and refusing to put out the fire as it spread to other houses were pretty terrible. There may have been a concern that trying to put out the fire with water could make the situation worse (some types of fires are made worse with water because science reasons), but beyond that I dunno what their justification for that could’ve been. Thinking that the people fleeing a fire might be hostile is iffy as hell though; they definitely shouldn’t have shot people fleeing the scene like that.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I don’t remember where I heard this, since it isn’t showing up on Wikipedia, but I think I read or heard somewhere (maybe a documentary or TV show) that the decision to bomb the MOVE house was based at least partly on intelligence suggesting the house was heavily fortified and/or rigged with explosive booby traps to prevent law enforcement from trying to attempt entry. Wikipedia does say the bombing was intended to target a fortified structure on the roof, so that was apparently another factor.

besides being based entirely on police claims, which are notoriously unreliable since they can cook up whatever they want to justify their actions and there's no third-party verification at all, this is no excuse for literally burning down the building. they let the fire burn because they thought it would force the MOVE members out, and only came up with the alternate excuses later when they accidentally burned down half the neighborhood; in the legal proceedings that followed, it was clear that the officials involved deliberately allowed the fire to burn because they thought it would solve their problems

these people were murdered by the police for being an annoyance to their neighbors while black. even if the building was fortified, the police had no pressing reason to force entry, other than the fact that they couldn't let themselves be seen backing down against black people or respecting their rights.

just keep in mind, when you discuss this, that there is no outside verification of many of the police's claims and that the police are not really a trustworthy source since they have a clear interest in justifying their conduct. there was no reason to call out hundreds of officers for what was essentially a harassment operation, nor was there any excuse for letting at least five fire trucks worth of firefighters on scene just sit back and watch while half the neighborhood burned down

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Philadelphia’s police are far from blameless but “being an annoyance to their neighbors while black” is maybe just a tad disingenuous.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Philadelphia’s police are far from blameless but “being an annoyance to their neighbors while black” is maybe just a tad disingenuous.

ok. how about "because the mayor had declared them a public nuisance and was facing political pressure from disgruntled neighbors to get rid of them, so he leaned on the cops to do whatever it took to get rid of them even though they didn't really have a legal justification for it"?

Significant Ant
Jun 14, 2017

by R. Guyovich

coathat posted:

Branch Davidians set fire to their own compound

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

My dad was actually working pretty close to the MOVE house when this poo poo was going on. There was a fortified structure on the roof. It was a sort of bunker that was built with walls that were angled to deflect bullets. I don't really remember the details on how it was made. The police riddled that building with so many .50 cal bullets they basically had to burn the place down to cover it up. There is no good reason a civilian police should have loving .50 caliber machine guns. They had to call down the the naval yard to resupply because they had burned through so much ammo. The navy was apparently pretty shocked by this.