Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

D_Smart posted:

Seriously, I was planning on publishing it this year. But once I got wind of the brewing lawsuit early last year, I decided to hold off on it. My publisher agrees.

It's coming out in paperback, hard cover and Kindle. Be patient. :D

No problem. I just wanted to budget this years expenses on whether it would be a few bucks postage or if I need to arrange a freight carrier to offload your tome with a lift gate and a pallet jack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Truga posted:

Realtalk though, this is patently not true. Victim blaming is wrong, even if that victim is dumb af.

What about Stockholm Syndrom accomplices? Because, honestly, some of these shitizens are very much so in that territory whenever they start to harass or threaten bodily harm upon detractors. But yea, despite them being roped into literal pyramid selling, I deffo wouldn't go after them on that score.

Codezombie
Sep 2, 2016

big nipples big life posted:

the worst kind of grief that triples every ANAL post

the worst kind of ANAL...

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Why are any of us here?

Dreams, man. The Dreams.

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT
CiG vs Skadden:

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

ManofManyAliases posted:

Why are any of us here?

AP posted:

It's more fun than playing 3.0.

Also because car talk > legal talk (sorry Toast, your profession is as stale to me as the video game travesty your company makes). At least the actual legal beagles of the thread spiced it up at the beginning of the debate, which was cool and good.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I'm confused: do we think CryTek does, or does not, have a strong case, here? I can't even come close to reading every post in here, but my skimming is showing a lot of people who seem to be coming to the conclusion that CIG is actually in the right. Is that correct, or did I just happen to skim the wrong posts, or what?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Combat Theory posted:

Also because car talk > legal talk (sorry Toast, your profession is as stale to me as the video game travesty your company makes). At least the actual legal beagles of the thread spiced it up at the beginning of the debate, which was cool and good.

car talk owns and makes me miss my piece of poo poo pickup truck. Although I can't say I'd trade my current vehicle for it, that thing was a glorious pile of American made garbage.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

the worst kind of ANAL alert

Some people think it's a slam dunk for Crytek, some people, alright one person, thinks it's a slam dunk for CIG. Some of us are just going to wait til the 9th.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

In short, the game, the lawsuit and this thread is a clusterfuck.

It's that drat simple. Yet we argue over it. Makes the world go around.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm sorry I couldn't come parp around the stars with you, Agent. I was doing more useful things than playing Star Citizen, like sleeping.
Let me know when you're up for it sometime in the near future. I'll hop on your stream and we can clip through worlds together.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Sorry, moons. Moons. Clip through moons together.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
lol that's beautiful

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Some people think it's a slam dunk for Crytek, some people, alright one person, thinks it's a slam dunk for CIG. Some of us are just going to wait til the 9th.

It’s the 9th, LETS GET POSTING

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

Let me know when you're up for it sometime in the near future. I'll hop on your stream and we can clip through worlds together.

Here's the thing: I'm genuinely not sure I even can stream it. The performance is so goddamn bad I think if I try to add streaming on top it might explode my computer. But either way my new schedule is pretty wide open most afternoons, so we'll figure something out.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
even on my hardware (i7-5820K, 16 gigs ddr4, samsung ssd, 980ti) it skips and judders like complete poo poo, especially if someone decides to spawn the bigger ships

the micro (and sometimes not micro) pauses every 10 to 15 seconds drives me absolutely bonkers

but it is fun finding new ways to completely gently caress with the game, like pushing people into their own ships so the ships despawn

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Nice piece of fish posted:

Pajero is a great winter car. Just fantastic, and a great drive.

E: In spite of being a gay prostitute, of course.

It's him, in the gay prostitute car!

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I'm confused: do we think CryTek does, or does not, have a strong case, here? I can't even come close to reading every post in here, but my skimming is showing a lot of people who seem to be coming to the conclusion that CIG is actually in the right. Is that correct, or did I just happen to skim the wrong posts, or what?

I think that people in here have a lot looser grasp on law than they might indicate, which is leading them to go with whatever sounds plausible at the moment. CIG released a strongly worded rebuttal of the original claims and a lot of people don't want to be caught out by saying "Oh Crytek's case totally has merit" and then having the whole thing thrown out of court, so they are hedging their bets by kind of gesturing at the possibility that CIG might be in the right. In another couple weeks Skadden will probably issue some kind of counter-statement and then the pendulum will swing back.

Personally I have no idea, law is all beyond me and I have no interest in it, but looking at historic trends, CIG has demonstrated systematic incompetence in everything they have ever touched except crowdfunding itself. They've skirted the bounds of the law when issuing refunds, they seemingly went way over the line in their discriminatory hiring/firing practices, they are clearly demonstrably incompetent with money and they have an obvious history of abusing outside contractors. None of these things are really in dispute. I see no reason why they would be any more competent at staying within legal bounds with the company that made their engine. The only real question is whether or not Crytek really wants to take them through court, and they as a company do seem pretty spiteful, so I'd lay good odds on it.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Where the hell are we with the winter sale contest BTW.

2017-12-22 $68,832
2017-12-23 $188,723
2017-12-24 $190,559
2017-12-25 $152,451
2017-12-26 $147,661
2017-12-27 $149,847
2017-12-28 $141,118
2017-12-29 $143,248
2017-12-30 $128,102
2017-12-31 $135,254
2018-01-01 $105,806
2018-01-02 $108,695
2018-01-03 $100,408
2018-01-04 $95,074
2018-01-05 $100,820
2018-01-06 $127,076
2018-01-07 $114,727
2018-01-08 $109,713

TOTAL : $2.308M

1 more week to go.

:rip:
Phi230
EminusSleepus
Lack of Gravitas
Sarsapariller
Drunk Theory
Mr Fronts
Quinntan
Thirsty Dog
VealCutlet
Golli
Jum-Jum
Goredema
D_Smart
intardnation

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

ManofManyAliases posted:

Why are any of us here?

We are all here to discuss the failed, dead Star Citizen videogame project and the ongoing fundraising scam somewhat tangentially attached to it.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sarsapariller posted:

I think that people in here have a lot looser grasp on law than they might indicate

I spent at least 12 pages wondering what kind of tort everyone was eating and why it kept coming up in conversation.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Sarsapariller posted:

I think that people in here have a lot looser grasp on law than they might indicate, which is leading them to go with whatever sounds plausible at the moment. CIG released a strongly worded rebuttal of the original claims and a lot of people don't want to be caught out by saying "Oh Crytek's case totally has merit" and then having the whole thing thrown out of court, so they are hedging their bets by kind of gesturing at the possibility that CIG might be in the right.

Put me on the other end of the scale.

CIG will continue to exist completely at Crytek's whim, CIG will be privately begging Crytek to settle for whatever cash they can raise. A war bond settlement, no RSI credits accepted.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Star Citizen: teasing, 3some, big boobs, celeb

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Sarsapariller posted:

I think that people in here have a lot looser grasp on law than they might indicate, which is leading them to go with whatever sounds plausible at the moment. CIG released a strongly worded rebuttal of the original claims and a lot of people don't want to be caught out by saying "Oh Crytek's case totally has merit" and then having the whole thing thrown out of court, so they are hedging their bets by kind of gesturing at the possibility that CIG might be in the right. In another couple weeks Skadden will probably issue some kind of counter-statement and then the pendulum will swing back.

Personally I have no idea, law is all beyond me and I have no interest in it, but looking at historic trends, CIG has demonstrated systematic incompetence in everything they have ever touched except crowdfunding itself. They've skirted the bounds of the law when issuing refunds, they seemingly went way over the line in their discriminatory hiring/firing practices, they are clearly demonstrably incompetent with money and they have an obvious history of abusing outside contractors. None of these things are really in dispute. I see no reason why they would be any more competent at staying within legal bounds with the company that made their engine. The only real question is whether or not Crytek really wants to take them through court, and they as a company do seem pretty spiteful, so I'd lay good odds on it.

Crobblers was destroyed before by a breach of contract before and run out of Hollywood. I know little about law but I suspect history will repeat itself because CIG has demonstrated itself to be a dipshit clown show.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jan 9, 2018

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so is Gary Oldman officially out?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

D_Smart posted:

uhm why? It's not my lawsuit and I have no stake in it. I have always said several times that I just don't see how they don't settle this because the alternative is disastrous for CIG.

And they spent a year screwing around with Crytek instead of settling because they likely didn't have the ballpark figure Crytek was asking for. Make no mistake, as per the filing, they are pissed that Crytek filed the lawsuit because win, lose or draw, it hurts them - and threatens to expose them.

I do have that impression from your flurry of tweets but honestly I read them all whilst drinking half a bottle of that yellow italian alcohol that the wife had in the cupboard, in a failed attempt to cure the weirdest and worse case of jetlag and insomnia I've had in years.

Then exclusive/not exclusive/nand exclusive chat happened and after that, well that was a spiral into utter madness

So disregard and gently caress it

I still think settling is the best and most sensible decision which is why I expect CIG to instruct their comedy lawyer to NOT settle and fight it. I'm also not convinced they CAN settle because they look really really desperate for cash and talent right now and I don't think good decisions are being made within that environment.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

What surely all of us agree on yet probably escapes the fiery, furious eyes of Ortwin and Chris is that the longer they protract and more fiercely they fight this lawsuit, the more they assure that the dominant CIG narrative of 2018 is “troubled project continues legal fight.” It seems obvious and mundane so of course it would probably escape their detection.

CIG has earned heaps of headlines from their first two rounds with Crytek. They’re buying themselves all kinds of new mindshare of the lousiest kind with the very gamers they need to convert to new backers.

GAMESPOT: Star Citizen Dev Responds To Crytek Lawsuit, Says It Makes "Scandalous" Claims

Mad props for your bravado, guys; it makes for great quotable headline material that you really want associated with your game. You should really drag this out as long as you can and use the most histrionic language possible in any and all legal replies. Just a couple more months of this and you’ll have firmly cemented your brand’s reputation as the beleaguered, embattled vaporware studio that used to be making a space game or two but now just seems forever mired in controversy now including the legal kind.

Every legal volley, every response and counter, is going to run the gaming media circuit as the last two have. It’s going to prompt new videos, punchlines, gossip and speculation. None of it is positive, unless you count scoring yet another CIG buttkissing montage from goofs like Montoya as a big PR win (hint: you get those for free anyway no matter what you do so it’s non-accretive.)

Dragging it out harms you, CIG, far more than it can Crytek. You’re the studio that needs retail goodwill, the studio that hopes to sell 5 to 10 million units at some indeterminable point in the future and in the shorter term wants to win new backers to the cause. Each new headline with “lawsuit”, “scandalous”, “Star Citizen developer” in it is going to make it that much harder because all that new blood you want to start feeding off just might steer clear of you. They can’t be counted upon to believe that which we all already know, that Star Citizen is good.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

SomethingJones posted:

I do have that impression from your flurry of tweets but honestly I read them all whilst drinking half a bottle of that yellow italian alcohol that the wife had in the cupboard, in a failed attempt to cure the weirdest and worse case of jetlag and insomnia I've had in years.

Galliano, or some kind of limoncello?

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

G0RF posted:

FORBES: The Top Upcoming Videogames of 2018 and Beyond

Nice to see Forbes is doing their part to keep “Star Citizen is vaporware” in the upper ranks of autocompletes for “Star Citizen is...” searches.

:jackbud:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Nice piece of fish posted:

I guess, but sometimes bluster can be indicative of just having a terrible case too. I mean, sure it's rude to your opposing collegue, but if you have nothing you had better start pounding the table before looking hard at your settlement options. I've had to do it a few times, however I don't ever let clients put words in my mouth. I'm not that lazy, nor am I that stupid.

I don't do contract law and none of -my- contract law is pertinent to this so I can't really comment on the content, but from the cirumstances of the case I'd say it's fairly likely that Skadden (who by the way are a very, very, very serious and competent law firm) are absolutely certain of their case. Although, it does seem obvious to motion for a dismissal even if you've no chance of that happening maybe just to keep your client happy (you can always blame the judge when your rainmakery falls through). Sometimes it's just because you're short on time and do the shotgun approach, just do whatever you can, throw everything at the case to see if anything sticks. That's usually a desperation tactic.

As the kind of nerd who will actually enjoy the litigation drama more than anything else itt, I'm looking forward to see where it goes. I hope not to settlement, but if there's avenues of appeal and things can be drawn out I'd expect CIG to try and stall this for as long as they can, to sell the maximum amount of pixels first.

You think they'd be shameless enough to solicit commandos for legal fund money?

Good post.

FWIW any real actual lawgoons have my blessing to comment on the merits of the lawsuit.

My blessing is worthless but still.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

No problem. I just wanted to budget this years expenses on whether it would be a few bucks postage or if I need to arrange a freight carrier to offload your tome with a lift gate and a pallet jack.

drat, I blew my book budget on Fire and Fury.

So, you asked, and technically they can't actually stop me, but it's a contract dispute probably going to jury trial, so nobody _really_ knows. The GLA is a portion of the entire suit, and there's other things that will come up. Personally, I think the claim of two games/one game could come down to a misunderstanding, but that's why 'intentional' was used. CiG appear to be doubling down in terms of the full-throated denial, but that's not unusual.

Just settle in and enjoy.

In other legal news, Milo Yiannopolous has decided to defend himself after his lawyers walked away, so it's pretty much christmas for the legal nerd.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Wise Learned Man posted:

Galliano, or some kind of limoncello?

Limoncello from Lake Garda or Guarda or however you spell it

Thought I was sober until I lay down, great loving stuff

Baldness
Dec 1, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

And Skadden would have to be "negligent" in bringing the case because it was so easily dismissed so early in proceedings.....

What are the odds that one of the biggest law firms in the world hosed up to this extent so soon ?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

G0RF posted:

What surely all of us agree on yet probably escapes the fiery, furious eyes of Ortwin and Chris is that the longer they protract and more fiercely they fight this lawsuit, the more they assure that the dominant CIG narrative of 2018 is “troubled project continues legal fight.” It seems obvious and mundane so of course it would probably escape their detection.

CIG has earned heaps of headlines from their first two rounds with Crytek. They’re buying themselves all kinds of new mindshare of the lousiest kind with the very gamers they need to convert to new backers.

GAMESPOT: Star Citizen Dev Responds To Crytek Lawsuit, Says It Makes "Scandalous" Claims

Mad props for your bravado, guys; it makes for great quotable headline material that you really want associated with your game. You should really drag this out as long as you can and use the most histrionic language possible in any and all legal replies. Just a couple more months of this and you’ll have firmly cemented your brand’s reputation as the beleaguered, embattled vaporware studio that used to be making a space game or two but now just seems forever mired in controversy now including the legal kind.

Every legal volley, every response and counter, is going to run the gaming media circuit as the last two have. It’s going to prompt new videos, punchlines, gossip and speculation. None of it is positive, unless you count scoring yet another CIG buttkissing montage from goofs like Montoya as a big PR win (hint: you get those for free anyway no matter what you do so it’s non-accretive.)

Dragging it out harms you, CIG, far more than it can Crytek. You’re the studio that needs retail goodwill, the studio that hopes to sell 5 to 10 million units at some indeterminable point in the future and in the shorter term wants to win new backers to the cause. Each new headline with “lawsuit”, “scandalous”, “Star Citizen developer” in it is going to make it that much harder because all that new blood you want to start feeding off just might steer clear of you. They can’t be counted upon to believe that which we all already know, that Star Citizen is good.

Brilliant, thoughtful, on point.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I am feeling really good about skipping the last 800 posts

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

I think that people in here have a lot looser grasp on law than they might indicate, which is leading them to go with whatever sounds plausible at the moment.

It's more that circumstances change, and there's a limited view on the proceedings that's mediated by rumor and wishful thinking. I do this poo poo for fun, because while the rest of the country seems overly concerned with the passage of a pigskin egg, I lack the genes to try and support it, and find other pursuits. I freely admit that I don't have any legal chops other than coming into contact with it fairly consistently over the past couple of decade, and tell people to take everything I say with massive quantities of salt.

Also, it's a jury trial, so ultimately this is going to come down 12 people listening to the arguments from both sides. The Plaintiff rolling out CiGs own video is the thing that keeps me warm at night. That they're using Chris' own words is the most interesting part to me.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

They probably have a strong case because CIG is incompetent, but on the other hand they are a failing company that just launched their own crypto currency so it might just be a last reaching cash grab.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SomethingJones posted:

"I call it the Esther Rantzen, because of the way that it draws your lips back over your teeth"

Sandweed posted:

They probably have a strong case because CIG is incompetent, but on the other hand they are a failing company that just launched their own crypto currency so it might just be a last reaching cash grab.

That's where the Turkish government money comes in. Crypto is finally beginning to loving arc into the sea, though.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The only good outcome is the case destroying both companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

There are plenty of funny outcomes but that is the only just one.