Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Ok, here's something, does anyone make this?

A device to take in data from "normal" gauge sensors for temperature and pressure etc, then output it through a standard OBD2 connection so you can use things like the Torque app as a gauge pack in older cars?

Most OBD1 and previous cars with an ECU did not return sensor values, only stored EEPROM records for faults.

You'd have to basically make a controller that would splice into the sensors and output the info seperately into an OBD2 compliant format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

some_admin posted:

Bad:
Some guy intruded my house last Friday night. He knocked on the front door at 8 pm and I answered. He asked us this the Bradley residence? I said no he said oops sorry and left. Had a weird vibe so I watched him walk down the block. Ok fine. Five minutes later my back door opens and I meet him almost in the kitchen.
I shouted GTFO and he bailed out the back door. It’s been a long time since I felt that much adrenaline.
Called the law but of course he’s long gone. I think I will buy a couple of those little baseball bats. (And lock the doors/gates 24/7 now)

Good:
4th or 5th date night last night since we adopted our daughter (3.5 years old). Saw “Here Come The Mummies” and thoroughly enjoyed it, super great band. Entire place dancing for 2 hours.
Today, started recording two songs for a guy while my daughter at school.

2018 - jury still out.

A scary time, but I am sure it's nice to know that you still have the caveman instinct to attack and not run away when your home was invaded.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

CornHolio posted:

A follow up to this, he skipped the doctor and went straight to the hospital because he was up all night violently throwing up blood and he's in a lot of pain.

:(

A follow up to the follow up, it's apparently just GERD. A very bad case it would seem.

I take prevacid but if I even have GERD officially, I've only ever had really bad heartburn from it (enough to send me to the emergency care clinic, but still)

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

Most OBD1 and previous cars with an ECU did not return sensor values, only stored EEPROM records for faults.

You'd have to basically make a controller that would splice into the sensors and output the info seperately into an OBD2 compliant format.
Yeah, that's kind of what I want. Live sensor data from whatever sensors I choose, which an OBD2 reader will recognise and display appropriately in apps etc.

So plug in a pressure sensor, tell it the calibration per psi and what it should read as, OBD2 reader sees it as boost or oil pressure or whatever.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, that's kind of what I want. Live sensor data from whatever sensors I choose, which an OBD2 reader will recognise and display appropriately in apps etc.

So plug in a pressure sensor, tell it the calibration per psi and what it should read as, OBD2 reader sees it as boost or oil pressure or whatever.

It would be far easier to just present these values via a display or web page you can browse to through a mobile device.

Actually, that sounds neat. I'll get on it with an ESP32 or ESP8266 and see if I can do something like that.

I mean, why bother formatting it in OBDII other than wanting to see the values via a known device? It'd be easier to just have a simple web page hosted by a microcontroller that taps into the sensors and then reads the values and presents them on a Webpage for you to connect to.

https://diyprojects.io/esp8266-web-server-part-5-add-google-charts-gauges-and-charts/

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jan 9, 2018

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I had a huge rant but on reading it again, it came down to...

"Who cares?"

Be an adult and let it slide. At worst, give them a filthy look and move on. If thats the worst the little poo poo says then whatever.

No poo poo you let it slide as the recipient, but as a parent you absolutely cannot let that kind of poo poo go, because it's up to you to teach your child not to be a douchebag. That was my point that was missed yet again.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CommieGIR posted:

It would be far easier to just present these values via a display or web page you can browse to through a mobile device.

Actually, that sounds neat. I'll get on it with an ESP32 or ESP8266 and see if I can do something like that.

I mean, why bother formatting it in OBDII other than wanting to see the values via a known device? It'd be easier to just have a simple web page hosted by a microcontroller that taps into the sensors and then reads the values and presents them on a Webpage for you to connect to.

https://diyprojects.io/esp8266-web-server-part-5-add-google-charts-gauges-and-charts/
My thinking was that it'd be a known standard that'd be read by anything, off the shelf, that can do it on OBD2.

Cheers for the idea/link, though, that might work for my kind of thing, and anything that an Android device can deal with would be fine.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

InitialDave posted:

My thinking was that it'd be a known standard that'd be read by anything, off the shelf, that can do it on OBD2.

I can't think of a good way to do this easily or cheaply. Old cars just don't communicate bus traffic like modern stuff, so it would be a terrible mess of wires and complication when you could just buy off the shelf gauges for practically the same result.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

CommieGIR posted:

Can't go too wrong with a TDI. I'd kill for a diesel electric hybrid.
I wish diesel electric hybrid was an option in cars. Would be a fun project but I already have too many projects.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Larrymer posted:

I can't think of a good way to do this easily or cheaply. Old cars just don't communicate bus traffic like modern stuff, so it would be a terrible mess of wires and complication when you could just buy off the shelf gauges for practically the same result.
The simple answer is I don't want to add physical gauges.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

No poo poo you let it slide as the recipient, but as a parent you absolutely cannot let that kind of poo poo go, because it's up to you to teach your child not to be a douchebag. That was my point that was missed yet again.
Well, yes, but I think you have to understand that how "disrespectful" it is depends on your perception. For a lot of us "you're going to go to hell!" is something that'd be taken about as seriously as "the giant space goat will eat you". I agree that where it sits in terms of how disrespectful it is by the kid's standards of what you could say to someone makes it a problem in terms of how they're talking to people but, well, it's kind of hard to take seriously by a more mature frame of reference. My response would either be laughter or some variation of the traditional "now listen here you little poo poo..."

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I replaced the alternator in the Avalon today. Straight 95/5 job, where 95% of the job was done in 5% of the time. The screw tensioner was absolutely frozen in the adjusting block and the only way to get everything out and apart was to bust the head off the nut.

Thankfully, I was able to mount the block up in the vice and pb blaster/heat it up until I could get the threaded part of the bolt out. New stainless bolt from Home Depot and running it in and out of the block a bit to get the threads unfucked and it went back together fine.

It's always the littlest, most stupid thing. But it's together now. We'll see if that takes care of some of the lovely starting issues I've been having with a battery (new last year) that slowly loses charge.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Larrymer posted:

OBDII doesn't necessarily mean CANBUS - he's basically asking to build a pseudo-ECU that instead of actually controlling the engine, just reads sensors and can speak an OBDII protocol out to a scantool so that a dedicated interface doesn't need to be developed. Of course, CommieGIR is probably right that it'd be easier to build some sort of web interface with the features needed, than it would be to implement OBDII to use a scantool.

At a very high level, this is similar to how a lot of newer Jeeps, when engine-swapped, still retain the original ECU just to read sensors. It doesn't have any control over the engine, but it does translate sensor readings into PCI bus commands that the gauge cluster understands.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

IOwnCalculus posted:

OBDII doesn't necessarily mean CANBUS - he's basically asking to build a pseudo-ECU that instead of actually controlling the engine, just reads sensors and can speak an OBDII protocol out to a scantool so that a dedicated interface doesn't need to be developed. Of course, CommieGIR is probably right that it'd be easier to build some sort of web interface with the features needed, than it would be to implement OBDII to use a scantool.

At a very high level, this is similar to how a lot of newer Jeeps, when engine-swapped, still retain the original ECU just to read sensors. It doesn't have any control over the engine, but it does translate sensor readings into PCI bus commands that the gauge cluster understands.
Yes, exactly this.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I'll work on something this evening, we might be able to piggyback through simple connectors or taps. Either way, we could make it adjustable too where you can set 'limits' and initial values for the sensors to make it multi-car adaptable.

The goal, of course, would be to minimize needed wiring.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Thanks, appreciate the input. This really isn't my field at all.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

InitialDave posted:

Well, yes, but I think you have to understand that how "disrespectful" it is depends on your perception. For a lot of us "you're going to go to hell!" is something that'd be taken about as seriously as "the giant space goat will eat you". I agree that where it sits in terms of how disrespectful it is by the kid's standards of what you could say to someone makes it a problem in terms of how they're talking to people but, well, it's kind of hard to take seriously by a more mature frame of reference. My response would either be laughter or some variation of the traditional "now listen here you little poo poo..."

It's more in the terms of a religion context to me rather than that actual statement. You shouldn't preach or harp on people about your religion if they don't believe in it as an adult, so you shouldn't let your children do it either. The poster was saying he was getting a lecture that ended with that statement, when the lecture should have never happened to begin with. Parents should have ended it before it even got to the point of "you're going to hell".

But given the preachy nature of some super religious people it wouldn't surprise me if they allowed it to happen or even encouraged it.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Hello, fellow power industry person.

Adiabatic posted:

:words: and power stuff

Batteries - the industry is keenly aware that the moment batteries can store gobs of juice then it's just run hard to charge, maintain at base load, and then probably watch your margins narrow even more. Try to find information on supercritical fluids used to run super dense power generators: small footprint spinning at 60k-300k rpm. Its still all in research as far as I know but pretty cool stuff.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

InitialDave posted:

Understandable. What do you want this info/functionality for, exactly? To look values occasionally on Torque? Does Torque let you log and save data (never used it, so still trying to understand)? If that's the case, that's the only advantage to doing this that I could think of. Otherwise just throw gauges in the glove box. :v: This obviously won't really be transferable from car to car (without modification) because of sender differences/ranges, etc.

I'm all for not reinventing the wheel and KISS though. I will keep the stupid to myself from here. :)

IOwnCalculus posted:

I understand that, I'm just saying you're not going to be able to get away with sending this via a few wires like modern cars can with bits and bytes vs. just a voltage that's then translated via a lookup table or whatever. All I'm saying is that it would be a mess of wires to do this because for each sensor you want you're going to need 1+ wires to read the signal.

"Get this guys. loving previous owner added a read only ECM to my :bahgawd: carbureted vehicle and the harness looks like a bowl of spaghetti." :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

I didnt miss your point.

I just dont give a gently caress about it. As long as the parents arent bringing up a axe murder I dont give a flying gently caress how the kid is being dragged up and neither should you. Move on like a real adult

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

meow

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I didnt miss your point.

I just dont give a gently caress about it. As long as the parents arent bringing up a axe murder I dont give a flying gently caress how the kid is being dragged up and neither should you. Move on like a real adult

It's called having a loving discussion? If you don't give a gently caress why did you even post about it?

Good thing you don't have kids because you'd be a lovely parent.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Industry has this with things like iolink etc, but it wouldn't be cheap for a home gamer.

NitroSpazzz posted:

I wish diesel electric hybrid was an option in cars. Would be a fun project but I already have too many projects.

Didn't Citroen have a fuel hybrid?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Nuclear also owns, from a purely technical and safety perspective :)

Meanwhile, any chance of the VC Summer project resulting in anything productive get slimmer by the minute. :(

If anyone in the federal govt feels like making good on their constant allusions to "improving infrastructure", here's their chance...

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

It's called having a loving discussion? If you don't give a gently caress why did you even post about it?

Good thing you don't have kids because you'd be a lovely parent.

lol if you dont have that whiner on your ignore list already

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Because for once in my life my so called opinion was the adult way to handle it. It's just a bratty kid, who cares?

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Because for once in my life my so called opinion was the adult way to handle it. It's just a bratty kid, who cares?

Yes, the "adult way" to handle children is to ignore them when they act out :rolleyes:

BraveUlysses posted:

lol if you dont have that whiner on your ignore list already

I know, I'm dumb

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

Cheers for the idea/link, though, that might work for my kind of thing, and anything that an Android device can deal with would be fine.

I'd like something like that, because I want a configurable display, like Shadow Dash (Android) for Megasquirt or Autometer's dash (loving expensive.)
I want to do custom LCD dashes that I can create and interface for that gives me the info I want, or just looks cool, at the touch of a button, kind of like the GTR's configurable display, but for the whole dash. I want to make it look like a Lexus LFA if I want.
Actually, something a lot like the Hellcat's various modes would be what I'm shooting for.
Autometer's dash is pretty cool, but it's $2500. I don't get why there isn't a box with a USB cable and a bunch of sensor inputs that can hook to a laptop/carPC or Android tablet, and an app that can read from it. It would seem like an obvious product, and I'd buy it for, say, the cost of a suite of Autometer analog guages. Like $200-350? Am I way undervaluing that sort of thing? Make it cost a bit more if you want datalogging or something.
I'm no kind of programmer or hardware designer, so I don't really have an accurate insight into what it would take.
I'd even love a kit of some sort. I can build electronics (I've built two functioning Megasquirts so far.)
I've seen some of the utility as far as dashes in DashCommand and OBD Fusion, but of course, they're dependent on OBD II, and sometimes car-specific unlocks for PIDs. ShadowDash is neat, but it's dependent on MegaSquirt for the data stream. It gets speed data from GPS, but adding something like oil pressure that's not tracked by the MS is problematic.

I look at this off and on. As a custom, non OBD II solution, Arduino can get you a lot of the way there, if not all the way, or even a Raspberry Pi, I think.

IOwnCalculus posted:

You know, given the ubiquitous and thoroughly hacked nature of the '90s GM ECUs, that might be the way to go.
I've been considering something similar just to drive the tach on the '88 Cutlass Supreme digital dash that depends on the ALDL data for that. All the other gauges work off of normal GM sensors, but not the damned tach, despite the analog version just using the tach-out from the ignition. I'd really like to stuff that vacuum fluorescent display in my '70 Cutlass. There's a nice symmetry there. New/old Olds.

Larrymer posted:

Understandable. What do you want this info/functionality for, exactly? To look values occasionally on Torque? Does Torque let you log and save data (never used it, so still trying to understand)? If that's the case, that's the only advantage to doing this that I could think of. Otherwise just throw gauges in the glove box. :v: This obviously won't really be transferable from car to car (without modification) because of sender differences/ranges, etc.

I'm all for not reinventing the wheel and KISS though. I will keep the stupid to myself from here. :)

Speaking for myself, I want configurable gauges, and gauges that I can change the look of. There's also an aspect of you can cram more info on an LCD panel than trying to fit a pile of round 2" - 2-1/2" gauges in a given spot. With something set up like OBD Fusion, you can configure several dashes with different info and swipe between them as needed. Extending that, you can have stuff come to the forefront if it hits a limit (DANGER TO MANIFOLD!) Basic speed/tach/fuel/temp/oil pressure for daily driving, deeper stuff like oil temp, trans temp, etc. fro special needs, towing, racing, whatever.

quote:

I understand that, I'm just saying you're not going to be able to get away with sending this via a few wires like modern cars can with bits and bytes vs. just a voltage that's then translated via a lookup table or whatever. All I'm saying is that it would be a mess of wires to do this because for each sensor you want you're going to need 1+ wires to read the signal.

"Get this guys. loving previous owner added a read only ECM to my :bahgawd: carbureted vehicle and the harness looks like a bowl of spaghetti." :D

I know you young kids find it hard to believe, but this is literally how it was done before CANBUS. Lots of wires. Adding an ECU to the mix would add a few wires, but all of them would be run to the ECU rather than the dash, basically.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

It's more in the terms of a religion context to me rather than that actual statement. You shouldn't preach or harp on people about your religion if they don't believe in it as an adult, so you shouldn't let your children do it either. The poster was saying he was getting a lecture that ended with that statement, when the lecture should have never happened to begin with. Parents should have ended it before it even got to the point of "you're going to hell".

But given the preachy nature of some super religious people it wouldn't surprise me if they allowed it to happen or even encouraged it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I didnt miss your point.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start an argument. I found his statement about as upsetting and disrespectful as if he had said 'people who drive <colour> cars are jerks'. Also hes a 13year old boy so his opinion on computer games/youtube videos/music/cars is also quite offensive. Teenagers say a lot of stupid stuff.

I was originally posting this to try and support the sentiment that you shouldn't need religion to justify doing nice things. Plenty of us are just trying to do good things because that is what we feel humans should do.

What church has also taught him here (in the UK) is that the above isn't enough and that even if I do good things with my life I am destined to end up in his definition of hell simply due to my lack of acceptance of their opinions.

As many people surely do now with their friends who have different opinions, I operate an 'agree to disagree' style ceasefire with his mother and we don't discuss it in front of the kids.

Unfortunately here there currently appears to be no simple replacement for the community and support based aspects that are freely given by organised religious groups and his parents would probably not be together here with him now without that side of this particular church, so I have to give it all some credit and also save some of this discussion with him until he is a few years older. His 18 year old sister gets it.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Tomarse posted:

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start an argument. I found his statement about as upsetting and disrespectful as if he had said 'people who drive <colour> cars are jerks'. Also hes a 13year old boy so his opinion on computer games/youtube videos/music/cars is also quite offensive. Teenagers say a lot of stupid stuff.

No need to be sorry, just a discussion. I agree with that, I was just speaking from a parent's point of view, if it were my child I wouldn't tolerate it. If I was in your situation I'd do the same thing however.

quote:

As many people surely do now with their friends who have different opinions, I operate an 'agree to disagree' style ceasefire with his mother and we don't discuss it in front of the kids.

Exactly, and I would think a teenager can understand that (smarter ones probably do), but if they don't that's when a parent should step in and tell them to STFU in my opinion.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Finished building the body mounts for the cruiser today.

I think they turned out alright, and now that the cab's set in place (once I get hardware to bolt it down) I can start assembly of the rest of the cab! :woop:

E: I may even restart my thread soon!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Guys, it's my job to shitpost and argue. Chill about the kids.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 9, 2018

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

extreme_accordion posted:

Hello, fellow power industry person.

Batteries - the industry is keenly aware that the moment batteries can store gobs of juice then it's just run hard to charge, maintain at base load, and then probably watch your margins narrow even more. Try to find information on supercritical fluids used to run super dense power generators: small footprint spinning at 60k-300k rpm. Its still all in research as far as I know but pretty cool stuff.

Well we recently just had Tesla install a gently caress off huge battery bank in the mid north of the state hooked up to a wind farm. So far it’s managed to come online in .14 of a second when a coal plant in Victoria tripped out during a heatwave and dropped 129MWh into the grid to keep people online.

The electrical market in Aus is weird as gently caress and an absolute clusterfuck too, large amounts of power is generated by brown coal, which is essentially burning dirt but we’ve got the entire eastern coast, SA and Tas all linked together on what they call the national electrical market. It’s a stupid idea cos every part of it is privately owned and it’s done nothing but made power prices rise to boost company profits

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ferremit posted:

Well we recently just had Tesla install a gently caress off huge battery bank in the mid north of the state hooked up to a wind farm. So far it’s managed to come online in .14 of a second when a coal plant in Victoria tripped out during a heatwave and dropped 129MWh into the grid to keep people online.

The electrical market in Aus is weird as gently caress and an absolute clusterfuck too, large amounts of power is generated by brown coal, which is essentially burning dirt but we’ve got the entire eastern coast, SA and Tas all linked together on what they call the national electrical market. It’s a stupid idea cos every part of it is privately owned and it’s done nothing but made power prices rise to boost company profits

You guys need some Nuclear.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BraveUlysses posted:

post again after 3096 more miles

Sometimes less is more.

:v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Sometimes less is more.

:v:

Triple extra bonus points for "LESS." Planning for things like this is key to maximizing internet points.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

CommieGIR posted:

You guys need some Nuclear.

Your not loving wrong... Our energy generation is loving prehistoric. The current average WHOLESALE price of power in AU at the moment is $87.40 per MWh.

http://reneweconomy.com.au/nem-watch/

Unfortunately whilst we're one of the biggest producers of uranium in the world, we've got one single 20MW open pool light water research and medical reactor at Lucas Heights in Sydney and thats it. We dont have any real knowledge or expertise base in nuclear power generation so everything would have to be imported from another country. Most predictions recon that even if we started today, we wouldnt be generating power from nuclear for at least 25 years. Theres also an irrational fear of nuclear here in Aus, so NIMBY comes into play BIG time when your looking for somewhere to put the thing- Hell, we're the most geologically stable continent on earth and we still cant get public support for a nuclear waste depository in the middle of the loving desert!

Transmission distance also cripples us too- if you were building a nuclear plant, you'd want it to serve as much of the country as possible but the distances are insane for power transmission- eg

Adelaide to:
Melbourne - 727km
Sydney - 1375km
Brisbane - 2000km
Perth - 2693km
Darwin - 3000km

Its makes it really difficult to transmit mass amounts of power around the place. Add to that the whooooooole lotta nothing in the middle

And its a big problem

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Put it in Canberra. It can serve roughly half the population with reasonable losses and if something goes wrong, nothing of value is lost!

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Right, not going to quote an entire wall of everyone's posts regarding the gauges thing, but I can summarise it as what I want is to have a way of displaying gauges easily on, say, a phone, or Android-based head unit. The desire is to be able to get into a car without that kind of plug-and-play functionality - whether just slightly before OBD2 became a thing, or something 50+ years old - and have access to stuff like temperatures and pressures beyond what is displayed on the (orften relatively basic) dash setup, but without anything standing out other than "that looks like a modern head unit in a 1990s car" levels of subtlety.

I don't mind if the hardware on the car would be permanent or semi-permanent in its installation, or needs specific setting up/calibrating on fitment, but I don't want stuff on show, and I absolutely don't want to cut the dash and fit extra gauges etc.

No, it wouldn't need to be OBD2 for any particular reason, I just thought of that as there's already lots of options to plug into an OBD2 port with a bluetooth or wi-fi dongle and let you configure virtual gauges for the data, and these apps etc are already fairly polished looking and user friendly to mess about with, it'd make it nice and universal - so regardless of what loving about you need to do behind the scenes, it looks/works the same getting in an "actual" OBD2 car with a dongle plugged into it as an older car fitted with this.

Data logging isn't really necessary, though again, if you make it work with the existing apps for this stuff, you can do this kind of poo poo on some of them anyway.

I'm kind of thinking that you can get a basic temperature/pressure sender like for a normal electrical gauge, and "all" you need is to take the output of that, correlate what that means in terms of the measurement, and kick out (whether to an actual OBD socket, or just skip straight to the wireless signal a dongle would give when plugged into the socket) whatever it is that the OBD2 on a modern car would say. So the app on your phone sees the same thing it would if you were using it "normally", in that sense.

I agree that you could make an entire standalone system with either its own small screen, a video output, or something you view in a web browser etc, I just kind of like the idea of it working with all the OBD2 apps etc that already exist, and someone else has put a chunk of effort into looking/working nice for you.

Also, I'd like it if it's something you could knock up on a DIY basis for, say, $50-100 plus whatever sensors you're using. I imagine something like a Raspberry Pi would indeed be a good way to go, but it's not something I know anythign about.

Tomarse posted:

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to start an argument. I found his statement about as upsetting and disrespectful as if he had said 'people who drive <colour> cars are jerks'.
Kind of what I expected. If it's not part of your worldview, it really isn't going to matter what someone thinks their deity* thinks.

Tomarse posted:

What church has also taught him here (in the UK) is that the above isn't enough and that even if I do good things with my life I am destined to end up in his definition of hell simply due to my lack of acceptance of their opinions.
Y'see, my Christian friends (even the ones who are very dug in with it) would be less than impressed with that, I've never met one where that's what they're about.

Tomarse posted:

Pretty much. I tend to go for much of a "you work your side of the street, and I'll work mine" approach, and give a couple of warning shots if people insist on pushing it, but I have no compuntions about having a fight about it if people really just won't let it be. I'd rather not,

*I always liked the Science Of Discworld definition of a god - "someone who can kill you instantly for no reason and not have to say sorry".

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
By that definition there are a depressing number of “gods” in this world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seminal Flu posted:

Triple extra bonus points for "LESS." Planning for things like this is key to maximizing internet points.

That's the best part - the trip odometer was a total accident.

• Locked thread