Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

MGS would be solid too even though I’ve beaten it like five times. I bought the classic recently to play on Vita anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Voted THPS2 because it's one of my favorite games of all time, although I've never actually played the PSX version. I have a feeling that SOTN is gonna win which sucks because I just started my yearly playthrough of the greatest Castlevania game of all time, Aria of Sorrow.

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS
Since castlevania is going to win it seems, make the regular badge 200% and imp badge richter clear

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Orville posted:

Since castlevania is going to win it seems, make the regular badge 200% and imp badge richter clear

That was the plan already. Though playing on luck mode could be cool too

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

richter galamoth for imp badge :twisted:

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

That was the plan already. Though playing on luck mode could be cool too

High percent armor knight lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

The Orville posted:

High percent armor knight lol
Armored knight?

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

picked up my badge, not going for second quest though

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fungah! posted:

voted sotn too, think i'm gonna try the 99 luck bad stats game this time around

i did that once. it's pretty loving awesome. hard at first, until you start getting all those items, and then i think a little easier.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

My Man

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pablo Gigante posted:

Is the version that you can unlock in Dracula X Chronicles a decent port or should I just go with the PS1 Classic version? I know the Dracula X port has new voice acting

it's a fine port and the additions/changes won't really matter if you've never played the game before but I'm guessing most people will be playing the original version

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

blue wizzrobes are straight out of hell

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i missed the bow in level 1 and now i have to do this nightmare dungeon again lol.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

extremebuff posted:

blue wizzrobes are straight out of hell

I didn't find the wizzrobes that hard tbh at least you could block their attacks with the magic shield. I had way more trouble with darknuts and their turning 180 degrees on a dime.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

it's a fine port and the additions/changes won't really matter if you've never played the game before but I'm guessing most people will be playing the original version

I've played it, just never beaten it

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

I didn't find the wizzrobes that hard tbh at least you could block their attacks with the magic shield. I had way more trouble with darknuts and their turning 180 degrees on a dime.

Attack from the side. They don't turn until they reach the center of a tile so you can line up safe shots.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i had more of an issue with how thered be 8 wizzrobes and half of them were invisible and teleported on top of you for a billion damage lol. somehow i beat level 6, found the magic sword

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

extremebuff posted:

i had more of an issue with how thered be 8 wizzrobes and half of them were invisible and teleported on top of you for a billion damage lol. somehow i beat level 6, found the magic sword

Maybe this is something about the 3ds virtual console emulator, but the wizzrobes for me would go slightly transparent and you could see them move from place to place so you could avoid them easily

Are they supposed to be completely invisible?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Maybe this is something about the 3ds virtual console emulator, but the wizzrobes for me would go slightly transparent and you could see them move from place to place so you could avoid them easily

Are they supposed to be completely invisible?

NES sprites flicker when too many things are in the same horizontal row so they can more or less disappear completely.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

P-Mack posted:

NES sprites flicker when too many things are in the same horizontal row so they can more or less disappear completely.

Lol oh yeah they were definitely flickering when they moved.

Didn’t realize that was an emulator or LCD issue

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

yeah its an NES thing, sprites freak out if theres too many on the same horizontal space and in the case of the wizzrobes they turn invisible and murder me. level 7 doesnt seem to have them thank you miyamoto

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
6 is wizzrobe world, theres a few rooms like that later but not nearly as many as in 6

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

elf help book posted:

6 is wizzrobe world, theres a few rooms like that later but not nearly as many as in 6

6 shouldve been the dungeon shaped like a swastika

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

theres a lot of wizzrobes in 9 too, but yea, dungeon 7 is a blissful relief after dungeon 6.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i reached grumble grumble in 7 and somehow made the link in my brain that i need to leave and buy the meat for him and made this face

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

extremebuff posted:

i reached grumble grumble in 7 and somehow made the link in my brain that i need to leave and buy the meat for him and made this face

Lmfao

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

extremebuff posted:

Lol why'd you stop streaming it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Lol why'd you stop streaming it

i was playing it at like 5am lol

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

extremebuff posted:

i missed the bow in level 1 and now i have to do this nightmare dungeon again lol.

Jesus H. Christ

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i got the boomerang in lvl 1 and figured that was the dungeon item, it really hosed me up that level 2's item was a magic boomerang. even the manual in the OP is confusing because the bow looks like the boomerang (and you never need it until 6, the dungeon that gives you something that could Shoot The Eye Of Gohma), and im trying to keep the playthrough pure

good thing i still had vague memories of stuff like the flute for level 7 and burning bushes for extra hearts and secrets or id be pulling my hair out probably

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 10, 2018

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

extremebuff posted:

i got the boomerang in lvl 1 and figured that was the dungeon item, it really hosed me up that level 2's item was a magic boomerang. even the manual in the OP is confusing because the bow looks like the boomerang (and you never need it until 6, the dungeon that gives you something that could Shoot The Eye Of Gohma), and im trying to keep the playthrough pure

good thing i still had vague memories of stuff like the flute for level 7 and burning bushes for extra hearts and secrets or id be pulling my hair out probably

Without vague memories the second quest would probably take me months.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

ive always heard the second quest is straight up nintendo power bullshit with some of the item and dungeon locations

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

yeah i kind of want to do it but also i dont want to just have to bomb and burn every tile of the game

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
i recommend drawing a map when youre 8 so you never have to do it again

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

extremebuff posted:

ive always heard the second quest is straight up nintendo power bullshit with some of the item and dungeon locations

The second quest puts the Red Candle, the item that lets you try and burn every bush much more easily, in the dungeon that requires you to burn a random bush to reveal the entrance. Just one example.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Kongming posted:

The second quest puts the Red Candle, the item that lets you try and burn every bush much more easily, in the dungeon that requires you to burn a random bush to reveal the entrance. Just one example.

i would never do that without a guide lol. also if i didnt remember where the magic sword was is there any NPC in the game that gives you a hint about it?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's a hint but it's extremely ambiguous and just mentions a location and doesn't explain anything about a sword. Good luck.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

my favorite so far is EASTMOST PENINSULA IS THE SECRET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Did you ever find the secret there

• Locked thread