Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Fargin Icehole posted:

Dave Chappelle: Hot Takes. That sounds right. Gonna watch it here soon

That's kinda what some comedians do by the way, the whole pushing the envelope thing, so don't feel too bad whenever somebody does a trans joke or something. The worst thing that's been happening to comedians is them having to apologize for poo poo.

If it's loving funny and somebody didn't like it and recorded it on their phone without proper context, gently caress that person. Motherfucker pays money to see a comedian so that they can feel offended. What kind of life is that? It's not a goddamn debate room, it's a performance, shut the gently caress up
I think your leather jacket is cutting off your air flow dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm 23 years late, but I started watching American Gothic on Hulu and really like it. Gary Cole plays a great creep especially only really seeing him in comedic roles. Anyone happen to know if this has a proper ending or does it just stop? Looks like it only ran for a season.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
It has an "ending" but not a proper one, it could have gone on longer. One of my favorites. :(

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watched Chapelle's trans jokes and thought they weren't that bad. He explicitly says he believes trans people are for real and what they have to go through is hard and never misgenders anybody. You gotta understand that his audience isn't woke and sometimes it helps to meet people where they are before you take them somewhere else.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can get why some people are put off of them, but acting like having a crude/slightly behind the times take on something is some sort of horrible hate crime is ridiculous.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Mammal Sauce posted:

I'm 23 years late, but I started watching American Gothic on Hulu and really like it. Gary Cole plays a great creep especially only really seeing him in comedic roles. Anyone happen to know if this has a proper ending or does it just stop? Looks like it only ran for a season.

Track down Invasion (also produced by Shaun Cassidy).

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Saw bright. It was fine. Kinda dumb and mediocre but not deserving of the critical storm it got which I assume was mostly understandable trepidation about Max Landis and potentially hamfisted racial commentary stuff.
None of that really showed up that poorly tho, if anything the lamest part imo were the elf villains. There was potential to be had there but the elves in the movie are just kind of poorly acted Underworld rejects in leather doing corny backflips.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
we hate movies talks about how the elves are "obviously jews" but that didn't scan for me even remotely, they were clearly just "rich white people" not specifically "jews"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I don't know where they got that...kinda like when Chapo does movie reviews of "infamously bad" recent poo poo like whatever D.C. or Snyder film is getting dumped on as the "worst...movie...everrrrr" they can get a little too cute hot takey with their attempts at funny analysis
It was definitely a 1%/White People thing, but either way the elf characters just didn't have what it took as villains when it comes to charisma/action/whatever. Just these corny accents, mostly just Underworld knockoffs or Fifth Element poo poo. Maybe the sequel will have better villains but watching them tear through poo poo did nothing for me.
I guess the fed one was okay but he just reminded me of Mark ruffalo in Collateral so I was waiting for him to...well...

Anyway it wasn't as bad as the critical backlash said it'd be but tbh it didn't do a lot for me as an action movie/buddy cop movie in a vacuum.

Punkin Spunkin fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 10, 2018

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

precision posted:

we hate movies talks about how the elves are "obviously jews" but that didn't scan for me even remotely, they were clearly just "rich white people" not specifically "jews"

I haven't seen Bright and don't really want to, but in my experience you should try to avoid any review outlet whose hook is snarky negativity. If they can't find a flaw they'll create one just to stay on brand.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The irony is that, when Zootopia came out, everyone was all like, "Oh, it's so nuanced, there's not a one-to-one relationship between the animals and any particular group, it's really more about broader systemic issues"; but then Bright comes along and does literally the exact same thing, and people are still bending over backwards to figure out what races the individual fantasy peoples are supposed to represent.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

The irony is that, when Zootopia came out, everyone was all like, "Oh, it's so nuanced, there's not a one-to-one relationship between the animals and any particular group, it's really more about broader systemic issues"; but then Bright comes along and does literally the exact same thing, and people are still bending over backwards to figure out what races the individual fantasy peoples are supposed to represent.

Yeah like anyone who says the orcs are supposed to be "black people" is extremely racist, and also dense.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

It seemed more likely to me that it was an analogy about class and religion. Or it was a genuine attempt by the writers to create a fantasy world where Will Smith is cops with an orc.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Sarchasm posted:

I haven't seen Bright and don't really want to, but in my experience you should try to avoid any review outlet whose hook is snarky negativity. If they can't find a flaw they'll create one just to stay on brand.
Yeah this is what I was poorly trying to express. You get it sometimes with WHM, Chapo movie stuff, RLM, it's just part of the expectation when you're known for "taking movies down". It results in a lot of hot takes and half baked digs.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I watched Dirty Grandpa on prime last night. It...sure was a movie. I'm not a Deniro connessuire by any means but I don't think the 1995 Deniro would approve.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

drunken officeparty posted:

I watched Dirty Grandpa on prime last night. It...sure was a movie. I'm not a Deniro connessuire by any means but I don't think the 1995 Deniro would approve.

I bet if you asked him about it he'd mumble awkwardly while not making eye contact

De Niro is really weird

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

I watched Dirty Grandpa on prime last night. It...sure was a movie.
Disagree. As somebody that can’t dislike Audrey Plaza due to my genetics.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I was all ready to go to bat for this, but then I realized you weren't talking about Bad Grandpa

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

precision posted:

Yeah like anyone who says the orcs are supposed to be "black people" is extremely racist, and also dense.

In GBS, someone pointed out that the orcs seems more like juggaloes than black people.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

precision posted:

It would be understandable if it wasn't so blatant. Like, "orc love song" is literally just death metal. As Inspector Hound notes, just as much as race and class, the film also deals explicitly with religion, and once again, the treatment is nuanced. If there's one obvious parallel between any social group in the film and Jews, it's the orcs, who, however many eons ago, "chose evil," which might as well just be shorthand for "they killed Jesus." But this motif could also be applied to Islam. Because the film effectively makes no distinct choice, liberal critics are left floundering. They can only accurately deduce - from "Trigger Warning Entertainment" - that the film is making fun of them. Their misapprehension, however, is that the film is making fun of them for being 'too sensitive,' when the point is actually that they're not sensitive at all, that they lack the critical capacity to interpret.

The screeching fairy that gets brutally murdered at the beginning of the film appears at the end as its mascot. The film is firmly on the side of the oppressed, regardless of whether the oppressed are socially respectable, regardless of whether they make people comfortable. It is not enough to be 'culturally sensitive.' It's the paradox of tolerance, but applied to its obverse in liberal multiculturalism. Even if we value sensitivity, there is no unilateral sensitivity that can be applied in all cases. For instance, the police do not deserve to be depicted with sensitivity. They're a gang of racist thugs working on behalf of vampiric capitalism. There is no room for sensitivity with regards to that.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The MSJ posted:

In GBS, someone pointed out that the orcs seems more like juggaloes than black people.

Well now I want to see a Juggalo cop movie, you could even call it "Juggalo Cop," although how a Juggalo could be a cop considering their stance on the police

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the host is a right tosser oi but The Real Football Factories is bloody entertaining too right eh oi oi oi

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm watching a short documentary series on Netflix about mass-marketed toy lines called The Toys that Made Us, and it's interesting for demonstrating how absolutely cynical, vicious, and short-sighted the people who make toys (and all consumer goods, presumably) are, but the thing that really sticks with me is that one former Mattel executive who appears in the Barbie and He-Man episodes appears to have a nude but nipple-less sculpture of herself as a chair positioned directly to her left in her interview segments:

The Barbie episode is probably the liveliest one in terms of absolute scumbag corporate behavior, and amazing in that the corporate scumbags are the ones telling the story and being presented as heroes. The Lisa Lionheart episode of The Simpsons is based on historical fact way more than I knew.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
She looks like the woman who was the "real Malibu Stacey".

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

precision posted:

the host is a right tosser oi but The Real Football Factories is bloody entertaining too right eh oi oi oi

haha. i watched the first episode and i had so much second hand embarrassment i couldnt watch anymore. fookin danny dyer

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

business hammocks posted:

I'm watching a short documentary series on Netflix about mass-marketed toy lines called The Toys that Made Us, and it's interesting for demonstrating how absolutely cynical, vicious, and short-sighted the people who make toys (and all consumer goods, presumably) are, but the thing that really sticks with me is that one former Mattel executive who appears in the Barbie and He-Man episodes appears to have a nude but nipple-less sculpture of herself as a chair positioned directly to her left in her interview segments:

The Barbie episode is probably the liveliest one in terms of absolute scumbag corporate behavior, and amazing in that the corporate scumbags are the ones telling the story and being presented as heroes. The Lisa Lionheart episode of The Simpsons is based on historical fact way more than I knew.

I haven't watched the Barbie one yet but that sounds interesting. I actually really liked the Star Wars toys one though because it was more about this tiny little company who accidentally stumbled onto the biggest franchise in the world.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

haha. i watched the first episode and i had so much second hand embarrassment i couldnt watch anymore. fookin danny dyer

It's a roight propa subject for a doc series but goddamn the production is pretty terrible. Still watched it through.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The_Rob posted:

I haven't watched the Barbie one yet but that sounds interesting. I actually really liked the Star Wars toys one though because it was more about this tiny little company who accidentally stumbled onto the biggest franchise in the world.

Every episode is really good. I think He Man was the best one. The group of dudes behind He Man are really entertaining.

I'm kind of at the point where I find a lot of pop culture nostalgia stuff sort of grating these days, but it's a well researched and well presented little series with a lot of good interviews from relevant people.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

She looks like the woman who was the "real Malibu Stacey".

I have no doubt after watching the Mattel episodes that she was the primary model for that character.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Every episode is really good. I think He Man was the best one. The group of dudes behind He Man are really entertaining.

I'm kind of at the point where I find a lot of pop culture nostalgia stuff sort of grating these days, but it's a well researched and well presented little series with a lot of good interviews from relevant people.

Were you not baffled by the chair?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The chair?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Only registered members can see post attachments!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm telling you she commissioned a sculpture of herself as a chair like that's a normal thing people do.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:lol: oh yeah, that. Honestly I just thought that she looked like someone that would own something like that and didn't think twice about it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Don't get me wrong it's weird as hell and I did take note of it while watching. I didn't really make the connection that it might be her though. Just looked like something an artist would sell to a rich woman. You might be right though. if it's her that adds an extra layer of comedy

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
I had no interest in seeing that show until you posted that chair picture. Now I just can't resist.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The End of the loving World was really really good

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Papa John Misty posted:

The End of the loving World was really really good

yep

it was pretty much perfect to me. it's funny too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Are there 4 more episodes of that documentary series about toys coming at some point? The opener says it's an 8 part series but so far only 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

Are there 4 more episodes of that documentary series about toys coming at some point? The opener says it's an 8 part series but so far only 4.

They’re still finishing the rest. I saw a picture someone on the production shared of them making the Transformers episode.