Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

fruit on the bottom posted:

Ugh, is 2018 the year that light choking became vanilla?

not just "vanilla" but "should i take her to a doctor to make her hornier??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

I don’t know what to make of the story of Dr. No Friends at all.

Here's the facts and sequence of events from what I can tell, from her own version of the story...

1) She realized boyfriend has no close friends.
2) He doesn't seem perturbed by it and neither does his family.
3) Two people that she has never met or had to cause to meet says he's a psycho. One of these is the ex-girlfriend.
4) She confronts him, he tells her he can believe him or hit the road. There is no threat of violence or even much sign of anger.
5) She leaves.
6) She tries to go back to him. He wants none of it. Still no threats of any kind.

So uh... yeah I think she hosed up. It sure seems like two people who had a vendetta against the guy for whatever reason told her some things about him, and she took the bait. I'd have some doubt if she reported any kind of violence, threats, or even anger but it just isn't there in her rendition, and he completely left her alone after she left. Also in her final post she says her use of the term "future husband" made her uncomfortable because they hadn't talked about marriage at all, but in her first post she literally says ...

quote:

We're thinking about getting married in 2 or 3 years and I've thought about who he is even going to invite. Who's gonna be his best man?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

In the comments it turns out he was intentionally oblivious because he was not interested in her in that way.

However, it turns out he's actually a bit of a creep:

Who offers bad advice to a guy with a crush on his female boss:
That's unfortunate, in my head they just kept dropping sick burns on each other and then banged because they're stupid teens or whatever :(

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Chomp8645 posted:

So uh... yeah I think she hosed up. It sure seems like two people who had a vendetta against the guy for whatever reason told her some things about him, and she took the bait. I'd have some doubt if she reported any kind of violence, threats, or even anger but it just isn't there in her rendition, and he completely left her alone after she left. Also in her final post she says her use of the term "future husband" made her uncomfortable because they hadn't talked about marriage at all, but in her first post she literally says ...
I'd have reacted like he did (but I'm not an abuser or cheater). Do you really want to date the guy who itemizes his gaming expenses in the r/relationships thread?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

that doctor is totally a fuckin psycho

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
He's a surgeon, so there's like a 75% chance of psycho right off the bat

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

hawowanlawow posted:

that doctor is totally a fuckin psycho

Yeah, but most doctors are. The question is was he a dangerous, cheating one. His reaction is odd for someone who beat up a previous girlfriend.

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I kinda of feel for him and I think those two randos may have just had it in for him. It's very easy for people to make poo poo up and especially from that far in your past. Reporting physical abuse is a massive red flag though.

Then again I'm the kind of person who gets into relationships with sociopaths despite prior warnings because I always give the benefit of the doubt (it doesn't always end well) so my judgement on this is hella skewed.

I'm conflicted. :thunk:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, I bet that woman was lying about the abusive man

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Yeah, but most doctors are. The question is was he a dangerous, cheating one. His reaction is odd for someone who beat up a previous girlfriend.

"He shrugged and said 'Well, if I'm such a bad guy apparently, why am I not in jail yet?'"

This is a psycho reaction

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Lemming posted:

"He shrugged and said 'Well, if I'm such a bad guy apparently, why am I not in jail yet?'"

big-time

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Chomp8645 posted:

Here's the facts and sequence of events from what I can tell, from her own version of the story...

3) Two people that she has never met or had to cause to meet says he's a psycho. One of these is the ex-girlfriend.
4) She confronts him, he tells her he can believe him or hit the road. There is no threat of violence or even much sign of anger.
5) She leaves.
6) She tries to go back to him. He wants none of it. Still no threats of any kind.

The other thing is didn't she mention he's a doctor? I have a few decent friends, but they're all spread across the country. I text with them a bit, maybe do a phone call, but my social circle in my current town is pretty small since I'm moved around so much and I'm over going to bars to listen to bands.

fruit on the bottom posted:

Yeah, I bet that woman was lying about the abusive man

i mean maybe it was a bad relationship? the new hotness is apparently declaring anyone who raises their voice as a sociopath

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lemming posted:

That was a COMPLETELY TERRIFYING reaction.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the doctor's reaction is such a good psycho reaction I'm starting to think the whole story is made up

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Aye the term sociopath gets thrown around a lot to describe anyone doing anything they don't like.

The no close friends thing to me is not an issue at all though imo. I've known of many people who don't have close friends, sure they have acquaintance and friendly work colleagues but for a lot of people the idea of close regular friends just isn't something they want. I don't see the negativity in it at all.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Solefald posted:

Aye the term sociopath gets thrown around a lot to describe anyone doing anything they don't like.

The no close friends thing to me is not an issue at all though imo. I've known of many people who don't have close friends, sure they have acquaintance and friendly work colleagues but for a lot of people the idea of close regular friends just isn't something they want. I don't see the negativity in it at all.

It's not like he said he has friends in other parts of the country or anything, he just "doesn't see the point" to having friends. He "doesn't do" friendships. He is not interested in having Any Friends. Do you not see how that poo poo's kinda weird?

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
What in the gently caress lmao

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Chomp8645 posted:

5) She leaves.

The hard evidence definitely isn't there. STILL "If I'm such a bad guy, why am I not in jail" has to be the most SOCIOPATHIC way to respond to an accusation of cheating.

No, "bitches be cray" no "have I ever shown the slightest indication that I was going to get violent?" just "IF THEN>SINCE THEN IS NULL IF IS ALSO NULL>BEEP BOOP I DON'T ACTUALLY HAVE HUMAN FEELINGS"

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

It's not that uncommon surely? I've known of plenty of people like that (predominantly men come to think of it). I do question how lonely they must feel but it just seems kinda normal and not an issue at all?

I'm not saying I personally find it normal, I can't comprehend how someone can be like that. It's just a thing I've seen a bit and those people were usually pretty normal and cool functioning folk?

Then again maybe it's all about how people describe friendships. Maybe this guy did have one or two close friends but completely disregards then as being anything more than acquaintances for whatever weird reason but they actually do have that relationship?

I dunno I just don't see it as an issue. I think sociopaths or psychopaths tend to still have close friends of some sort?

Edit: I hope folk don't think I'm trying to defend this guy and/or trying to argue with you, I'm sorry if it comes across like that. I'm just fascinated by the whole story and learning how people work :ohdear:

Solefald fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 10, 2018

kru
Oct 5, 2003

/r/relationships: Well, if I'm such a bad guy apparently, why am I not in jail yet?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Solefald posted:

It's not that uncommon surely? I've known of plenty of people like that (predominantly men come to think of it). I do question how lonely they must feel but it just seems kinda normal and not an issue at all?

I'm not saying I personally find it normal, I can't comprehend how someone can be like that. It's just a thing I've seen a bit and those people were usually pretty normal and cool functioning folk?

Then again maybe it's all about how people describe friendships. Maybe this guy did have one or two close friends but completely disregards then as being anything more than acquaintances for whatever weird reason but they actually do have that relationship?

I dunno I just don't see it as an issue. I think sociopaths or psychopaths tend to still have close friends of some sort?

Edit: I hope folk don't think I'm trying to defend this guy and/or trying to argue with you, I'm sorry if it comes across like that. I'm just fascinated by the whole story and learning how people work :ohdear:

There is nothing common about having literally zero friends and not wanting friendship in any capacity, no. There's an entire DSM-V disorder where that's the main feature. (Schizoid personality disorder)

Humans are social animals. They naturally want contact with others. It may express differently, but ZERO friends is not one of the normal ways that expresses, no.

EDIT: Really, there is no evidence of wrongdoing, just potential mental weirdness. I would be on his side if he didn't express himself in the actual scariest way I could think of.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

beep boop friendship requires effort on my part, must not expend effort on anything except procreating with fembot and ensuring parental units gain sustenance.

Really the dude is probably American Psycho come to life.

Also, yeah he did not DENY beating the poo poo out of her, he just deflected the question back at the asker, that's 100% what a loving maniac will do.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Midnight Voyager posted:

There is nothing common about having literally zero friends and not wanting friendship in any capacity, no. There's an entire DSM-V disorder where that's the main feature. (Schizoid personality disorder)

Humans are social animals. They naturally want contact with others. It may express differently, but ZERO friends is not one of the normal ways that expresses, no.
This guy had a girlfriend and gets along with his family and coworkers, so even Dr. Sociopath has social interactions and the barebones of a social network.

I guess it depends on what having no friends means. What some people call friends others would call acquaintances. Also wanting and having are two different things and sometimes life experience and coping mechanisms lead you to stop wanting what you can't have.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

MF_James posted:

beep boop friendship requires effort on my part, must not expend effort on anything except procreating with fembot and ensuring parental units gain sustenance.

Really the dude is probably American Psycho come to life.

Also, yeah he did not DENY beating the poo poo out of her, he just deflected the question back at the asker, that's 100% what a loving maniac will do.

And then ghosted her, changed his phone #, and changed the locks to the house, the actions of an Extremely Innocent Man who really cared about her and their relationship

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

the doctor story was actually just the first act and now she's going to start thinking she sees him everywhere around town

girl pants
Sep 21, 2006
I feel a great disturbance in my pants
The doctor is 100% a psycho and the fact that there are people trying to turn it around so the abuse victims look like the crazy ones does not shock or surprise me at all

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Lemming posted:

And then ghosted her, changed his phone #, and changed the locks to the house, the actions of an Extremely Innocent Man who really cared about her and their relationship

I really want to know what would have happened if she'd pressed on the 'Did you beat her up or not?'.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

This guy had a girlfriend and gets along with his family and coworkers, so even Dr. Sociopath has social interactions and the barebones of a social network.

I guess it depends on what having no friends means. What some people call friends others would call acquaintances. Also wanting and having are two different things and sometimes life experience and coping mechanisms lead you to stop wanting what you can't have.

He said, again, that he "sees no point" to having friends. He doesn't want the "obligation" of having to care about other humans. (like god, they tell you their problems and everything! That was a thing he pointed out, he doesn't want to be obligated to do anything with other people, like listen to their problems) That isn't... anything about what you said, really. That's Creepy. That's a human who I am not convinced cares about other humans.

The most broken dude I've ever known got along well with his family and coworkers and had a girlfriend which lead to marriage. He had friends, but they were all on a superficial level. I never saw him be anything but calm, disappointed at worst. That still ended with him trying to strangle his pregnant wife. She got painted as the crazy one by all his family. He didn't give a single poo poo about the kid other than trying to get custody out of spite, and he got it easily.

It's easy to spot the ones who don't get along with family and coworkers and who can't get girlfriends, but some terrifying people can do all those things fine. It's like saying "Well, if I'm a bad person, why am I not in jail?" Well, if they can do these normal social things, how can they be scary? EASILY, it turns out.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post

hawowanlawow posted:

the doctor story was actually just the first act and now she's going to start thinking she sees him everywhere around town

Yeah and in the third season, he goes to Europe with Gillian Anderson.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

she starts seeing his face in crowds, the dog barks late at night, the phone rings but nobody is on the other end

she tries to get ahold of his ex-friend and finds out he's been brutally murdered. she calls up the ex-girlfriend and she says she made the whole thing up and she's really sorry. the friend's murder must have been a coincidence after all

then the camera zooms out to reveal psycho doctor holding a gun to his ex-girlfriend's head. he's been tying up loose ends

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
she gets injured and needs surgery, the last face she sees before the drugs kick in...

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

Midnight Voyager posted:

He said, again, that he "sees no point" to having friends. He doesn't want the "obligation" of having to care about other humans. (like god, they tell you their problems and everything! That was a thing he pointed out, he doesn't want to be obligated to do anything with other people, like listen to their problems) That isn't... anything about what you said, really. That's Creepy. That's a human who I am not convinced cares about other humans.

Yeah his reasons for not wanting friends says a lot more about him than the whole just not having friends thing.

I get that maintaining a friendship can be hard at times but he just outright had no interest in any way shape or form and that's a bit odd.

Makes me curious how he met this girl in the first place and what it was about her in particular that interested him enough to put in the effort.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
if he just told her he was a introvert

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Midnight Voyager posted:

Yeah, I agree about this guy. I thought the conversation had moved more generally to people who have no close friends since that's what Solefald was talking about. If your definition of literally no friends is strict then even this guy doesn't count. If your definition of no friends is loose enough to include this guy then I'd hesitate to say that his lack of friends is itself evidence of mental disorder, though perhaps a warning sign to delve deeper. His words and reactions on the other hand do point towards him having deeper mental issues.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

datajugend posted:

if he just told her he was a introvert
He just needed to start explaining that he's INTP and that means it's okay for him to be a creepy lone wolf, and all of reddit would have started nodding along and explaining to OP that he's actually fine and normal.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The doctor’s reaction to the whole thing is so stereotypically psycho, like there’s no way a non-psycho would do and say all of those things. Not having any friends just makes him weird, it’s his reaction that makes it clear something is seriously off with this dude. I mean, who is seriously going to act that blasé when their girlfriend asks if they’re actually crazy and beat the poo poo of an ex?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Midnight Voyager posted:

The most broken dude I've ever known got along well with his family and coworkers and had a girlfriend which lead to marriage. He had friends, but they were all on a superficial level. I never saw him be anything but calm, disappointed at worst. That still ended with him trying to strangle his pregnant wife. She got painted as the crazy one by all his family. He didn't give a single poo poo about the kid other than trying to get custody out of spite, and he got it easily.

It's easy to spot the ones who don't get along with family and coworkers and who can't get girlfriends, but some terrifying people can do all those things fine. It's like saying "Well, if I'm a bad person, why am I not in jail?" Well, if they can do these normal social things, how can they be scary? EASILY, it turns out.

Oh yeah, the dude's big time psychopath.

He doesn't have friends because he doesn't want to feel obligated to try and care about people, which means he probably doesn't have empathy for them normally. When confronted with an account that he beat and threatened to murder someone, he just smiles and brushes it off as a lie like it's nothing.

I'm sure if we had more data on him, he'd be checking off the psychopath boxes like they were nothing.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Solefald posted:

Makes me curious how he met this girl in the first place and what it was about her in particular that interested him enough to put in the effort.

I assume he likes loving, and loving a realdoll must be wierd when neither one has an emotional range.

The psycho is wierd and scary and all that, but what the gently caress is wrong with that chick that it took her that long to figure out what was going on? Did he staple her together out of all the other girls who figured it out?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Couldn’t deal with the realdoll anymore. She was a loving sociopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

The doctor’s reaction to the whole thing is so stereotypically psycho, like there’s no way a non-psycho would do and say all of those things. Not having any friends just makes him weird, it’s his reaction that makes it clear something is seriously off with this dude. I mean, who is seriously going to act that blasé when their girlfriend asks if they’re actually crazy and beat the poo poo of an ex?

He hasn’t violated the NAP so he’s clear