Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

We have decided what is wrong, and we shall impose it onto all nations no matter their own heritage or traditions. Purely in the name of raising them from the darkness they don't understand they are in, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Byzantine posted:

We have decided what is wrong, and we shall impose it onto all nations no matter their own heritage or traditions. Purely in the name of raising them from the darkness they don't understand they are in, of course.

This sounds like some dumb marketing. I want to speak to a manager.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’ve found while traveling internationally that upon hearing something insensitive affecting a pained expression and using the phrase “uh can we not?” works wonders.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Inspector Gesicht posted:

No Pressure, a short-film directed by Richard Curtis meant to promote global-warming mitigation. :nws: as it depicts men, women, children, and Gillian Anderson violently exploding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOmLcSeU2UY

How is it possible that no one involved in making this video was concerned with implying that people who want to cut carbon emissions are remorseless killers? Is this some kind of weird PETA-esque false flag stunt funded by a coal company?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Oh dear.

https://twitter.com/headfallsoff/status/950908162693107718

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=paypig

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

don't ask how @headfallsoff found the app

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

don't ask how @headfallsoff found the app

Man I'm not one to kinkshame, whatever chalks your cue, but if you're going to have a fun play "banking" app for kids maybe make sure that the first thing you get when you google the term isn't an adult hookup site.

I guess maybe in 2013 when it came out it wasn't the first result, but like the great man said, you gotta know when to hold them and know when to fold them. Know when to rename your now-dreadfully named app.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The_White_Crane posted:

Hey, do you know what helps stop people using them?
If they don't learn new slurs and stereotypes that they didn't previously know about by giant mass media frenzies that bring them to their attention!

I didn't say "people shouldn't stop using them, we should stop complaining when they do", I merely pointed out that pouring huge amounts of attention on them has the negative effect of spreading knowledge of them as well as the positive one of encouraging people not to use them.

But hey, great point you made there! :yeah:

Black people being compared to monkeys is not an unknown stereotype in Europe. For example, when a guy from the Ivory Coast started playing soccer in Europe people threw bananas at him.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Alhazred posted:

Black people being compared to monkeys is not an unknown stereotype in Europe. For example, when a guy from the Ivory Coast started playing soccer in Europe people threw bananas at him.

I never claimed it was "unknown". My point was that it isn't as well known in Britain as it may be in some other parts of the world, and that Britain also has the "little monkeys" idiom for referring to children which people would tend to think of before they think of an old racial slur.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

little monkey is used as a term of endearment in a lot of places. however it is not only used as a term of endearment and is often used a slur, especially for black people.

also you're the person who was so unfamiliar with chinese food you didnt know what shrimp are, so youre definitely not the arbiter of what people should expect others to know

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The_White_Crane posted:

I never claimed it was "unknown". My point was that it isn't as well known in Britain as it may be in some other parts of the world, and that Britain also has the "little monkeys" idiom for referring to children which people would tend to think of before they think of an old racial slur.

For gently caress's sake: And by the Sydney Test, Marqusee points out, there was no good excuse for Harbhajan to not know that the insult was racist and out of bounds, especially as he's played so much cricket in England, where the "monkey chants aimed at black footballers are widely known and condemned".

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

The_White_Crane posted:

The following are all simultaneously true in British English:

1) "Little monkey/s" is used to refer to children, as a neutral term without regard to race
2) "You monkey" or similar can be used to refer to other adults, as a very mild pejorative e.g. after a minor or inconsequential error
3) Calling a non-white person a "monkey" would be screamingly offensive and anyone above the age of about 5 would know it

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Austin-powers.gif

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
There's nothing intentionally racist about that sweatshirt and it's only Americans who make everything weird :colbert:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

western culture is built on capitalism, misogyny and white supremacy and the sooner we* realize that and work to solve it rather than ignoring it, the better

* people who benefit from capitalism, male people, and white people

:shrug:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

unfortunately that would rob us of “‘accidental’ racism” content for the thread but I think the benefits would outweigh that loss of content

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

jojoinnit posted:

There's nothing intentionally racist about that sweatshirt and it's only Americans who make everything weird :colbert:

No, I'm pretty sure it's bad.

Case in point, they used a Black model when African-English people represent 3% of the population. Something perhaps equivalent to having a Japanese child with a hoodie that says, 'Nip in the Bud'.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

America is less racist than most of Europe.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

'Nip in the Bud'.

Man slurs are loving esoteric sometimes

what even is this?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Furia posted:

what even is this?

Nip is a racist word for Japanese. And yeah, it's pretty weak considering, but it was the cutest thing I could find to put on a hoodie.

'Chink' is a cute sounding word. Let's go with a sweatshirt that just says 'Chink'.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Furia posted:

what even is this?

Nip is a mostly WWII thing since Japan is/was called "Nippon"

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

Nip is a racist word for Japanese. And yeah, it's pretty weak considering, but it was the cutest thing I could find to put on a hoodie.

'Chink' is a cute sounding word. Let's go with a sweatshirt that just says 'Chink'.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
the kid in the corner would make a wonderful avatar

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Change the subject, please.

Here's a dumb billboard!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Change the subject, please.

Here's a dumb billboard!

Is there a second, almost identical, but also wrong flow chart under this one?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Holy crap, I think you're right :lol:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Hahaha

I guess the third time will be the charm, eh?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SpacePig posted:

Is there a second, almost identical, but also wrong flow chart under this one?

The original one has all the 'no' and 'yes' ones point to 'visit the am/pm organic cafe'

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/MarriottRewards/status/951344031405084673

Marriott had a survey that listed Taiwan, Hong Kong, Macau, and Tibet as countries, which made China mad. So Marriott backpedals, which makes loving EVERYONE mad.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just for context, Taiwan has an economy larger than Sweden's and has been a country longer than Communist China has existed (Republic of China adopted in 1912, People's Republic of China in 1949).

But you can't recognize them because China gets it's feelings hurt.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Yeah, China doesn't at all own any claim on Taiwan, regardless of how much they pout about it. They need to poo poo or get off the pot, and decide if taking over the tiny island nation is worth throwing away 100% of their international goodwill relations.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Memento posted:

Know when to rename your now-dreadfully named app.
I borrowed a friend's Galaxy S3 a year ago when my phone broke, and since she factory reset it before giving it to me, it still had Isis Mobile Wallet installed.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010
I’ve been hearing radio ads for “Waway, the best smart phone you’ve never heard of. Coming 2018.” Come to find out it’s not Waway but Huawei, who have apparently been making smart phones for a number of years now. Just seemed a little dumb they’d hinge their ads on minimal information, with 90% of the words being their name repeated when it is not spelled how it sounds (at least in English).

Although kudos to making it sound like no one has heard of their phones because their brand new in the market rather than because no one uses their phones.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

dirksteadfast posted:

I’ve been hearing radio ads for “Waway, the best smart phone you’ve never heard of. Coming 2018.” Come to find out it’s not Waway but Huawei, who have apparently been making smart phones for a number of years now. Just seemed a little dumb they’d hinge their ads on minimal information, with 90% of the words being their name repeated when it is not spelled how it sounds (at least in English).

Although kudos to making it sound like no one has heard of their phones because their brand new in the market rather than because no one uses their phones.

Congress is also taking legal action to keep them out of the US, so dont expect to hear a ton about them moving forward eother

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Huawei is a major company. Google hired them to manufacture the Nexus 6P phone a few years ago. Their other phones are also fairly high quality. Congress isn't going to be able to keep them out of the US, they are just making it difficult for them to make deals with carriers like ATT and Verizon. You'll still be able to just buy their phones on Amazon.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

dirksteadfast posted:

They are a huge Chinese company that's been around for ages and is the worlds largest manufacturer of telecommunications equipment.
The radio is pronouncing their name as it's actually pronounced and as their company is known. Not sure what else a radio ad could do other than spell the name out for you. Maybe they have prints ads or TV ads to do that for you.
They are only brand new to the American market. They are well established in other English speaking markets such as Australia.
Last year they overtook Apple to become the worlds 2nd largest smartphone manufacturer after Samsung.
That radio ad is actually spot on for the American market.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

In Captain America: Civil War, Tony Stark was shown using a phone made by Vivo, another Chinese company that barely has any presence in America but is huge in Asia.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/tide/status/951940660499755008

To be fair, I don't think telling people "Hey please don't joke about eating our bags of poison" is a dumb marketing move, but it seemed appropriate for this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They really need to just redesign the pods to look as industrial and non-imvitimg as possible so people will shut the gently caress up about them already.