Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Rynoto posted:

Being able to change the HUD is really a godsend that should be added as a fully supported feature instead of the file fuckery it is now.

They’re waiting for the right moment to monetize it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

They’re waiting for the right moment to monetize it.

They can't monetize it now which is why it will never be supported. :smith:

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

They can't monetize it now which is why it will never be supported. :smith:

Xbox and PS4 only is my guess.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

If you sign up for both sides of a community goal, do you only get a payout for the one that completes, or is it that once one completes you get the payouts from both?

I find this cg funny because it is a bounty collection one in Ngalia and there are now conflict zones, just literally two ringed planets only one of which is worth working in. It’s kind of boring and slow fighting in that ring so I’ve been running big shipments of liquor back and forth.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
What? Why would you think you're getting payouts from a CG which didn't complete?

Apart from that, both CGs should complete at roughly the same time, so as long as you did something for both, you should still get two payouts anyway.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

You can even pledge to, support and get paid for "opposing" CGs, like when the Imps and Feds were racing to get supplies to Pleiades.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Oh cool, thank you! It is kind of fun running both CGs. Do some shoot mans, do some liquor trading, repeat. Both of these have seemed to have a lot of players active this time around.

As an aside, you guys were not kidding about fighter pilots and how deadly they get the higher up in the ranks they get. Even at master, they are killing smaller ships sometimes even before I get any solid shots in. I was thinking of trying to switch over my FGS parts to an FDL to see how it compares but I don’t think I could give up the fighter buddy.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

You might already know this but you can bind fighter orders directly to controls. I use this a lot in my T10 - scan a target from several Km out, then order the fighter to attack while I approach. As a bonus, it's really cool to see your fighter go zooming ahead in an attack run. It's also helpful for tagging bounty targets your mothership might not reach in time

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
For extra fighter fun you can have both an AI piloting a fighter while another player flies a second one. Can be really devastating.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Fighters are one of the great additions to the game. It's both a great multicrew tool (you can bring aboard newbies for cost-free combat training in an awesome litte ship), and a serious addition to your firepower. It's especially good for the biggest ships, since it helps you chase down small fry (even with DD5, conda doesn't catch Vipers).

Sixto Lezcano posted:

You might already know this but you can bind fighter orders directly to controls. I use this a lot in my T10 - scan a target from several Km out, then order the fighter to attack while I approach. As a bonus, it's really cool to see your fighter go zooming ahead in an attack run. It's also helpful for tagging bounty targets your mothership might not reach in time

How do you feel the defender works? Do you like it? I'm not sure I could stand that slow of a ship.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

How does long distance travel work in this game? I saw that a station I was at had some things for the CQ so I figured I'd grab em and fly to Ngalia for a payday, but apparently it's like dozens of jumps away for me. Do I just grit my teeth and start flying or what?

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe
So I picked up a Viper, can't remember if it's a 3 or 4, and I am constantly being out maneuvered by AI while bounty hunting, what am I doing wrong? Or am I just bad at life? I don't think I've upgraded the thrusters yet. ( I'm at work so I can't check my specs) I'm losing money because I can't keep on target and often just find myself flying in a circle trying to get the target in front of me.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

food court bailiff posted:

How does long distance travel work in this game? I saw that a station I was at had some things for the CQ so I figured I'd grab em and fly to Ngalia for a payday, but apparently it's like dozens of jumps away for me. Do I just grit my teeth and start flying or what?

Get a fuel scoop so you can refuel at stars when you jump through a system. Then yeah, set destination and start jumping.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Behotti posted:

So I picked up a Viper, can't remember if it's a 3 or 4, and I am constantly being out maneuvered by AI while bounty hunting, what am I doing wrong? Or am I just bad at life? I don't think I've upgraded the thrusters yet. ( I'm at work so I can't check my specs) I'm losing money because I can't keep on target and often just find myself flying in a circle trying to get the target in front of me.

Make sure your throttle is in the blue zone. That's the max maneuverability zone.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Truga posted:

Get a fuel scoop so you can refuel at stars when you jump through a system. Then yeah, set destination and start jumping.

Ah, cool, I forgot those are a thing. That'll make life easier. How do they work? Is it a right hand UI panel function?

Speaking of stuff that I had to stare at for a while to figure out - SRVs kind of own and the sabotage mission I did was totally worth having to rebind my stick for vehicle controls and the huge bounty I got. Suck poo poo, random little port that doesn't have a power plant anymore, I got almost a million credits for loving you up.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
As long as you have a fuel scoop equipped, getting close enough to a star will start scooping fuel, but you'll also start collecting heat in most ships, so be ready to run away when it goes over ~80%. Also, there are some star types that can't be scooped, but I forgot which ones because I turned them off in my map and haven't seen one in literal years, so google that bit imo :v:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Ah, cool, I forgot those are a thing. That'll make life easier. How do they work? Is it a right hand UI panel function?

As long as it’s installed and powered, scooping is automatic - fly towards a star (type KGBFOAM) and keep the bottom of the stars yellow exclusion border about level with the top of the comms notification box, this should net you max scooping and you can loop the star until your tank is topped off or you hit the 90s on your temperature gauge.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Also make sure your route plotting is not set to economical. Set it to fast. Economic route plotting can turn a 5 jump route to 20 easily, or worse.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Behotti posted:

Besides maneuvering in the blue area of your throttle, upgrading your engines makes a massive difference. An E rated stock engine is total trash and even a C or B rated engine will net you huge differences. You could mess with flight assist off and on as well. Flying without FA is very hard but turning it off for short intervals to make a rapid turn, turning it back on, and boosting can change your course really quickly.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Truga posted:

Also, players on radar have hollow icons, AI is all full solid.

Another thing the game doesn't tell you is that a square icon is a ship with its hardpoints stowed, while triangles are ships with their guns out and active.

If you see a hollow square suddenly turn into a hollow triangle, keep your eyes the hell open.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I never knew that hah. I also just recently figured out you can tell which side of the mail slot is clear based on which side has a green light.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

Behotti posted:

All the other people who responded are correct, but they missed the two most important things:

Boost & Thrusters

First, you must ALWAYS BE CBOOSTING. You have a boost button and you should be mashing that poo poo constantly. Never not be boosting.

When you hit boost, you of course go much faster, but not only does boost increase the output of your primary thrusters, it also increases the output of your translational thrusters. This means you turn a lot faster than otherwise.

Second, you must bind and then learn and master your translational thrusters. Thrust up/down + left/right + back/forwards. Using these in conjunction with Pitch/Yaw means you will take tighter (thrust up while pitching up) or looser (thrust down while pitching up) turns.

You also need to get good at managing your power distributor. It's definitely not a "set it and forget it" thing. You need to be modulating your power capacitors for ENG (to increase boost/top speed/maneuverability) and WEP/SYS. Need to close the distance on a target? 4 pips to ENG. About to crash into a rock or space station? 4 pips to SYS. That kind of thing.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Blind Rasputin posted:

I never knew that hah. I also just recently figured out you can tell which side of the mail slot is clear based on which side has a green light.

I think it's always one red one green. This is a nautical thing, one is port one is starboard.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Blind Rasputin posted:

“Clear” for various values of large oncoming cargo ships :o:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Honky Dong Country posted:

I think it's always one red one green. This is a nautical thing, one is port one is starboard.

It is, and inside the station the lights are reversed so incoming and outgoing traffic get directed to opposite sides of the slot. It would be a great system if players didn't all drive like maniacs regardless.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
pharmaceutical isolators :bang: :bang: :bang:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Doesn’t matter in a type-10 since it takes up the entire slot and that beluga liner AI Pilot just gonna keep on flying. I have gotten stuck in that ship more often than any other one.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Of course it doesn't matter because fuckin lmao if you're not screaming through the slot at full boost and dumping the throttle while lowering your gear on the inside. :getin:

I just wanted to point out that the lights don't change according to what's in the slot.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Truga posted:

This. And in sound options you can selectively disable the voice notifications for “Friendship drive charging... 3 2 1 Jump!” and “Fuel Scooping! Complete!”

Save you some sanity.

Edit: also a second screen for Netflix or YouTube.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Legs Benedict posted:

I got to this point and said gently caress it. I wasted a couple of hours in an outbreak system and just gave up. Apparently they're going to introduce a seller for this kind of poo poo at some point so I'm just going to use clean drives or dirtys at 4 instead until then.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Legs Benedict posted:

Outbreak systems, look for the High Grade Emissions USS (trade lanes or deep space have worked best for me).

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Outbreak systems, look for the High Grade Emissions USS (trade lanes or deep space have worked best for me).

Also, speed doesn't matter when USS hunting (pretty sure it's a time-based RNG), so just cruise around at low speed and the USS will spawn much closer to you, cutting down on travel time.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

i spent three hours in outbreak systems last night without a single high grade uss hahaha

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Legs Benedict posted:

i spent three hours in outbreak systems last night without a single high grade uss hahaha

What was the terrain (trade lane, orbit, deep space) you were in? Try deep space, just outside the ecliptic, maybe? That's where I had the best luck.

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3
Are there any real punishments for speeding near a station / base? I keep it under 100 usually but sometimes I forget and nothing has ever happened.

Also do I have to manually pay fines? I got one for driving my SRV on a landing dock and see mail for it + week-long timer. But I don't see a way to pay it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

androo posted:

Are there any real punishments for speeding near a station / base? I keep it under 100 usually but sometimes I forget and nothing has ever happened.

Also do I have to manually pay fines? I got one for driving my SRV on a landing dock and see mail for it + week-long timer. But I don't see a way to pay it.

The penalty is a fine if you cause damage, or summary execution if you destroy a ship while speeding. My general rule is boost through the mailslot in anything that can land on a small/medium pad, but I usually go 98 when driving The Pig or another big ship. Unless I'm drunk, then gently caress you: that corvette is boosting through the mailslot.
:black101:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

All the other people who responded are correct, but they missed the two most important things:

Boost & Thrusters

First, you must ALWAYS BE CBOOSTING. You have a boost button and you should be mashing that poo poo constantly. Never not be boosting.

When you hit boost, you of course go much faster, but not only does boost increase the output of your primary thrusters, it also increases the output of your translational thrusters. This means you turn a lot faster than otherwise.

Second, you must bind and then learn and master your translational thrusters. Thrust up/down + left/right + back/forwards. Using these in conjunction with Pitch/Yaw means you will take tighter (thrust up while pitching up) or looser (thrust down while pitching up) turns.

You also need to get good at managing your power distributor. It's definitely not a "set it and forget it" thing. You need to be modulating your power capacitors for ENG (to increase boost/top speed/maneuverability) and WEP/SYS. Need to close the distance on a target? 4 pips to ENG. About to crash into a rock or space station? 4 pips to SYS. That kind of thing.

I've been avoiding anything more than easy combat in the game because good lord that sounds tedious and boring. *Sigh* better get that muscle memory trained.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Oh hey, be careful with your modules when you dock at those rescue ships! Just logged in for the first time since last week to find they had moved the one I was in, and all of the modules I had swapped for passenger cabins were in some nethersphere. Luckily I could transfer them to another station with outfitting/shipyard services, but if you hate waiting and paying for those, make sure and grab them before they move those ships.

Also, apparently even the NPCs hate the T9. Like, with a "would rather die fighting pirates or selling myself to anyone then spend another minute doing a cargo run" kind of hatred:

And they were on the same board! That ships really instills a since of nihilism into its pilots. Everyone should start naming their Type-9s "Mabel."

fart barterer
Aug 24, 2006

David Byrne - Like Humans Do (Radio Edit).mp3

doctorfrog posted:

I've been avoiding anything more than easy combat in the game because good lord that sounds tedious and boring. *Sigh* better get that muscle memory trained.

Elite and similar games' combat (X series, etc) always sound appealing at first, but it's so hard to figure it all out in the context of the game economy. I have no clue if I can actually take out a ship (or group of ships) except trial and error, or looking at the required ranking for missions. I'm worried that when I finally do I'll find that it's way too easy, or will rely on using a cheap strategy vs actually grinding for better ships.

I know that getting new ships is cool, but aside from looking up advice online I have no clue what to invest in or what any of it means. Now that I think of it, this actually applies to every other game mechanic. Like, it could be fun to be a pirate! Arr! But for all I know just starting that step in the current system means instant police death. And I don't feel like committing to it to make sense of it.

I wish someone would retool the whole space trader concept. Or I'd at least like to get in on the next EVE Online when it first starts up, because I can start to make educated guesses about player behavior and incentives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

What are some good options for the 4 slot heavy weapon in the anaconda? I’ve been using a cannon but it seems boring. I’d like something I can use on anything, and use a lot. Which lasers work best there? Maybe PSlama cannons or PACs?

• Locked thread