Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Whooping Crabs posted:

Nagy means "big" in Hungarian

"Gutekunst" means "good art/skill" in German

What does "Zimmer" mean in whatever European language that name's from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

"Gutekunst" means "good art/skill" in German

What does "Zimmer" mean in whatever European language that name's from?

Google translate says it's German for "room."

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Nfc north: the big good art room

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
Would have liked to snag Fangio, if only to set back the Bears again, but I'll take Pettine. Both are massive upgrades, so whatevs.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Abugadu posted:

Would have liked to snag Fangio, if only to set back the Bears again, but I'll take Pettine. Both are massive upgrades, so whatevs.

Fangio would have been my first choice. That said, I think Pettine is an instant upgrade. My only real concern is whether or not our personnel fit his scheme. I'm not too worried though. A lot of the guys we have are talented enough to work in any competent game plan.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jan 10, 2018

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.si.com/2014/06/19/mike-pettine-cleveland-browns-coach

Here's an article from prior to the 2014 season on Pettine. This guy sounds better and better the more I read about him. Irrational confidence and exuberance baby! up uP UP!

The 2014 Browns went 7-4 (up from 4-12 the prior year) before Hoyer got injured and then lost 5 straight games. And the '15 Browns never really recovered. But anyway...

quote:

The way Pettine teaches has a lot do with that.

It starts with the coaches. The players can’t learn unless the coaches know it inside and out. O’Neil, linebacker coach Chuck Driesbach, assistant linebackers coach Brian Fleury and defensive line coach Anthony Weaver are all veterans of the system, at least back to Buffalo. Assistant defensive backs coaches Bobby Babich and Aaron Glenn, and secondary coach Jeff Hafley, were new to the system. Before the players arrived in the building, O’Neil installed the scheme with the coaches using five years of teaching tape (the best execution of scheme and technique from the Jets and Bills). But there was a lot of give and take, and the newcomers were free to question the whys and hows of the scheme.

“They were able to refine it even more and make it more player-friendly from the beginning,” Pettine says. “I think anytime you can install anew, if you can step back instead of just blowing the dust off, here it is, to look at it again and see if it still continues to make sense—they did a good job.”

The initial playbook itself is actually quite thin, and that’s by design. “I don't put a lot of graduate-level information in it,” Pettine says. “We know in places like New England, it's only a matter of time that they somehow mysteriously end up with our playbook.”

quote:

“It's your job as a coach to keep throwing stuff at them and at some point, you'll get feedback,” Pettine says. “But you're going to have teams, like the 2006 Ravens defense, that had almost like an infinite sponge. We could have 60 calls up on game day, it doesn't matter. Those guys Ed [Reed], Ray [Lewis], Adalius [Thomas], Jarret Johnson—those guys could handle anything you threw at them. If your team's cumulative sponge isn't big, then you might have to back it off a little bit. I think sponge-wise, we're pretty smart. We already have some advanced stuff very quickly. But there's some coaches that each year, teach, This what we run and that's it. They don't ask more of their guys. To me that's coaching. If your guys can do more and you’re not doing more, that's on you. Or if this is your norm and you have a pretty good team and they're just not mentally there, then [expletive] pare it back a little bit.”

Pettine has also continued the learning buddy system that goes back to his days as a Ravens assistant. A smarter player will be paired with a player who is not learning the system as quickly. The smarter player will get the minus if his buddy screws up on the play.

“One of the rules we had was you never wanted to be limited by your least intelligent player,” Pettine says. “You have to do it that way because if you have a guy that can be elite but he can't be cluttered, like when we got Kris Jenkins in New York for a limited amount of time—when we had him, we didn't want him thinking. We would build it like, 'Hey, line up here and go, and we'll make it right around you.' We'll give the thinking to the guys around you. We've put some of the heavy-lifting thinking on a fewer number of players.”

quote:

The final part of the puzzle is to have the entire defense in the meeting room together. It’s few and far between when positions break up, go to their own room and worry about themselves, like most teams operate.

“I thought that was one thing that Rex did real well. He kind of tied in the whole room,” Pettine says. “After a while, he'd ask a defensive lineman a question about the cornerback’s technique to see if the guy had been paying attention. It’d be funny to see how much guys would recall in situations like that. Learn the defense as a whole and you execute as one cohesive unit.”

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
The more I read, the better I feel about this hire. Obviously time will tell but we needed to be rid of Capers and this feels like a move in the right direction.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/jamfan40/status/950896185505656834

Better Audio

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqTSnEXoiWo

Dexo fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 10, 2018

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i named my daughter trubinsky

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

my dog's name is "i love to kiss titties"

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
man, if pussyfucker69 sacked kissin' titties, magical things would happen

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

packer fan named their kid a fake certificate i sent away for in the mail

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

LabyaMynora posted:

Google translate says it's German for "room."

Specifically referring to people who built rooms, particularly carpenters

See also Zimmermann, literally "Room Man"

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

SKULL.GIF posted:

Here's an article from prior to the 2014 season on Pettine. This guy sounds better and better the more I read about him. Irrational confidence and exuberance baby! up uP UP!

The 2014 Browns went 7-4 (up from 4-12 the prior year) before Hoyer got injured and then lost 5 straight games. And the '15 Browns never really recovered. But anyway...

Alex Mack getting hurt and not Hoyer tanked the season the run game evaporated after that. Anyway, good pick up with Pettine, year 2 in Cleveland he left the D to ONiel while he helped Flip out with the Offense. Im glad to see Pettine back to coaching, he took time off after his dad passed away, I knew he was going to be a D.C. somewhere eventually.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

R.D. Mangles posted:

how does it feel to be poor motherfucker

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

R.D. Mangles posted:

um excuse me the certificate itself is real, tyvm

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/950923362322305024

Noice.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

That is a relief. So glad the Packers didn't snag him.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
Good

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Elliot Wolf is gone

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

SKULL.GIF posted:

This article makes me feel good about the hire. I feel like Dom Capers didn't adapt to his players, but wanted his players to adapt to his scheme. It works great when you have Charles Woodson still in his prime as a CB (before he began to decline and moved to Safety). Otherwise, you end up giving up first down on 3rd and 7 up the middle every single time.

The more I think about Pettine and his time as DC of the Jets, the better I feel about it.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
we drove a good man into the arms of the Cleveland Browns

that kind of sin don't wash clean

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.

LabyaMynora posted:

This article makes me feel good about the hire. I feel like Dom Capers didn't adapt to his players, but wanted his players to adapt to his scheme. It works great when you have Charles Woodson still in his prime as a CB (before he began to decline and moved to Safety). Otherwise, you end up giving up first down on 3rd and 7 up the middle every single time.

The more I think about Pettine and his time as DC of the Jets, the better I feel about it.

Yeah imo being adaptable is one of the most important aspects of a successful coach instead of the round peg square hole approach. I agree I'm more optimistic after reading that article. Not that I was particularly pessimistic before but you hear browns coach and your butt hole clenches up a little bit reflexively you know. Not that it's deserved or anything in pettine's case but well browns

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
the miracle worker starring mike pettine as the titular character and mark sanchez as hellen keller... can he do the same with haha clinton dinx

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
I like how in that past interview he explains how they can be complicated for offenses, but not to their own defense. Duties/roles are defined in the plays and each week your role could change, but the playcall is exactly the same. You might be a linebacker who is edgerushing one week on those calls but next week you are doing dirty A gap filling.

So besides confusing QBs by switching roles from previous games, it also motivates defenders to do dirty work since next week they could be in a glory role.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Man I read that last sentence wrong and I was all primed to make a joke about Friday being your day in the barrel :(

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/moonmullinNBCS/status/951165080086962176

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Blotto Skorzany posted:

Man I read that last sentence wrong and I was all primed to make a joke about Friday being your day in the barrel :(

I laughed so hard at this I almost spilled my beer.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

reading a lot of talk that matt patricia prefers the giants job to the lions, boy am i excited for my "i bet patricia ends up going to the giants and the lions are left with their eleventh choice for head coach" doomsaying being alive and well.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Fenrir posted:

spilled my beer.

https://twitter.com/Mike_Daniels76/status/951240612656959498

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Pat Shurmur is allegedly the favorite for the Cardinals HC position.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

God I love Daniels.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Bah gawd. STONE COLD! STONE COLD! STONE COLD! :bahgawd:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

is it normal to have a whole separate guy for this
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/10/packers-promote-joe-whitt-to-defensive-passing-game-coordinator/

ive never heard of it before, and I sure have watched a lot of foot ball

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
i’ve heard of it for offense before but can’t remember who...

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

rabidsquid posted:

reading a lot of talk that matt patricia prefers the giants job to the lions, boy am i excited for my "i bet patricia ends up going to the giants and the lions are left with their eleventh choice for head coach" doomsaying being alive and well.

It's ok though because as we all know* Belichick is going to ditch the Patriots and go to the Giants!!!!

*as my Giants fan buddy keeps telling me

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

:laffo: Daniels owns.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

PupsOfWar posted:

is it normal to have a whole separate guy for this
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/01/10/packers-promote-joe-whitt-to-defensive-passing-game-coordinator/

ive never heard of it before, and I sure have watched a lot of foot ball

I'd imagine it's just that he'll be position coach for CB and Safety instead of just CB.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://scout.com/nfl/packers/Article/Tramon-Williams-Skys-the-Limit-for-Green-Bay-Packers-Defense-Under-Mike-Pettine-113508614

quote:

After starting for seven seasons as a big-play cornerback for the Green Bay Packers, Tramon Williams signed with the Cleveland Browns.

That makes him the perfect individual to discuss the merits of the Packers’ new defensive coordinator, Mike Pettine.

Williams joined the Browns in 2015. That was Pettine’s second and final season as the Browns’ coach. The defense was terrible overall and against the pass — 29th in scoring, 16th in completion percentage, 22nd in yards, 29th in passing touchdowns, 21st in interceptions, 28th in sacks and 30th in opponent passer rating.

Don’t blame that on Pettine, though.

“Oh, man,” Williams said with a laugh. “Cleveland’s been going through the same thing for years. I don’t what it is. There’s just something about that place. That’s really all I can say. There’s just something about that place.”

Williams continued by turning the conversation back to the Packers.

“I think it’s going to be a new beginning for him. Obviously, he’s got some good players to insert in that defense. I think the sky’s the limit for what that defense can do. A lot of moving parts to it but, man, it’s limitless. It’s limitless. I think it’s going to be good for Mike.”

It was Pettine who drew Williams to Cleveland as a free agent in 2015.

“I love Mike,” Williams said. “One of the reasons I actually ended up signing with Cleveland. Really great guy, not only as a coach but a great guy in general. As a coach, man, very, very smart. Very smart and articulate. Obviously, his resume shows over the years that he’s done a good job as a defensive coordinator.”

That one season in Cleveland was the lone blip on the radar for Pettine. Whether it was defensive coordinator for the Jets from 2009 through 2012, defensive coordinator for the Bills in 2013 or coach of the Browns in 2014, his defenses ranked in the top 10 in total defense and/or scoring defense every year.

Again, other than 2015, elite passing defenses have been a hallmark of Pettine’s teams. This is the area where the Packers disintegrated this past season. They ranked 30th in opponent completion percentage and 31st in opponent passer rating. One starting cornerback, Damarious Randall, essentially was told to grow up by coach Mike McCarthy. Another starting cornerback, Kevin King, had season-ending shoulder surgery. The other, Davon House, is headed to free agency. At safety, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix needs to return to Pro Bowl form, Morgan Burnett is headed to free agency and rookie Josh Jones needs to take a big step forward in Year 2.

“He does some things that teams just don’t expect,” Williams said of Pettine’s pass defense. “A lot of different coverages. He doesn’t stick with one thing. He keeps things going. He’s not going to call one play or one defense all game long. He’s going to keep switching up things and keep teams off-balance. At the end of the day, the players have to make plays. Everywhere I’ve been, we’ve always had pretty good corners. That’s one of the things that you do have to have in that defense. You do have to have some good corners in that defense. It’ll be successful.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
The Pettine hire just keeps looking better. And looking at next year's schedule I hope it lives up to the hype. 2018 looks really nasty if we go by the records of 2017. Granted, something always changes but look at the teams the Packers play on the road. Just ouch.

• Locked thread