Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

But you're supposed to leave the bubbles alone during lightning. :confused:

Surprisingly, explaining that still didn't solve the problem :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

So I just came back in preparation for 4.2, I figure I probably have time to crank out the last three DoH to 70 and maybe get my main back on the gear treadmill a bit.

Regarding Monk, 4.2 is gonna introduce a new batch of tome gear and probably drop the price of the current Lost Allagan stuff, right? Wondering if it's worth the effort to upgrade from my current Omega normal stuff to augmented tome gear before the end of the month.

I did the weapon for sure, but I'm a little iffy on everything else. I might just split the difference and pad it out with Rabanastre stuff in the meantime.

Theres gonna be a new tomestone and gear, uncapping Creation. Everything else is conjecture at this point.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005

So I just came back in preparation for 4.2, I figure I probably have time to crank out the last three DoH to 70 and maybe get my main back on the gear treadmill a bit.

Regarding Monk, 4.2 is gonna introduce a new batch of tome gear and probably drop the price of the current Lost Allagan stuff, right? Wondering if it's worth the effort to upgrade from my current Omega normal stuff to augmented tome gear before the end of the month.

I did the weapon for sure, but I'm a little iffy on everything else. I might just split the difference and pad it out with Rabanastre stuff in the meantime.

What else are you gonna do with your tomes? I don't know if the price will drop on the stuff, but the cap should be removed, which just means 330/340 will become the "norm". You might as well get stuff now because you are just gonna get it later.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
So my WHM is now at 57. Enjoying the game of casting as few healing spells and as many Holys as possible (and it doesn't hurt that Holy has the best sound effect in the game). I think I've mostly got the hang of it, but a few questions:

1. Under what circumstances should I use Cure III? I guess in principle the answer is when I can save a GCD by using it instead of Cure II and then Medica (II), but that seems like a really niche case.
2. Similarly, is there ever any reason to use Medica rather than Medica II?
3. Should I be using Assize on cooldown, or saving it for moments when I need the MP, or something else?
4. When is the correct time to slap a Regen on the tank? I've generally been doing it as they pull since doing it any earlier would waste HoT ticks. But occasionally this leads to me grabbing aggro from the tank. Should I be worried about that?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jalapeno_dude posted:

So my WHM is now at 57. Enjoying the game of casting as few healing spells and as many Holys as possible (and it doesn't hurt that Holy has the best sound effect in the game). I think I've mostly got the hang of it, but a few questions:

1. Under what circumstances should I use Cure III? I guess in principle the answer is when I can save a GCD by using it instead of Cure II and then Medica (II), but that seems like a really niche case.
3. Should I be using Assize on cooldown, or saving it for moments when I need the MP, or something else?
4. When is the correct time to slap a Regen on the tank? I've generally been doing it as they pull since doing it any earlier would waste HoT ticks. But occasionally this leads to me grabbing aggro from the tank. Should I be worried about that?

Cure 3 is good to use in situations where your entire team is bunched together and needs a quick heal. i.e: after a move that requires a stack is the #1 example.
2. If you've already used Medica 2 and still need more healing Medica is better because a lot of Medica 2's power is baked into the HoT. Medica 1 is stronger but without the HoT aspect.
3. Generally use it on cooldown. Some fights have moments where it's nice to have the heal but you'll have to learn them.
4: Don't do Regen until after the tank has grabbed aggro. Regen will steal aggro tics and make everything more annoying. Just wait until they have aggro.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

quote:

When you need to drop a big heal on a tight cluster of folks. It's totally niche.

quote:

It's a bigger upfront heal for less MP. Use it when you don't need the regen component of Medica II (like if there's additional AoE damage and everyone already has the regen).

quote:

Situational. Most fights are easy enough to where you can use it on cooldown for the MP, and you'll be able to use it more once you start getting Lilies.

quote:

Yes. It's good to use when adds won't spawn for a bit. Once the tank(s) already have the adds, then it's cool to use. Dropping it before a pull with more than one mob is annoying for the tank.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

jalapeno_dude posted:

1. Stack mechanics are a prime time to use Cure III, otherwise you're generally better off with Medicas.
2. Cost and time. Medica is way cheaper to cast than Medica 2. So learning when you can Medica instead of Medica 2 and get basically the same results will help you a lot in terms of MP efficiency. Also if you need to top people up quickly two Medicas will heal more in that span of time that Medica 2 will.
3. On Cooldown unless the boss can't be hit.
4. When they stop. If you really need to spot heal them while they're pulling then use Tetra (You'll get it at 60) or, dare I say, Swiftcast a Cure 2. And then yell at them to Sprint when pulling if they didn't.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

You might as well get it now. All the new gear will be on some sort of cap, so it will take quite a while to replace everything with the new stuff. Maybe prioritize gear you'd normally replace last. If you're sure you're going to work on the new chest piece first, maybe leave that at 320 and get 340 boots/gloves etc.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If your MP is less than 100%, you need the MP.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

jalapeno_dude posted:

1. When you need more immediate (ie not regen ticking over 30 seconds) AoE healing than Medica 1 gives you and people are sufficiently clustered.

2. When people are too spread out for Cure 3 but you need healing now rather than in a little while. The instant heal is bigger than Medica 2, and sometimes the regen just isn't fast enough. Or people other than the tank aren't going to be taking constant damage so the regen on them would be pointless, making Medica 2 overkill that just wastes MP and generates extra threat for no reason compared to Medica 1.

3. Use it on cooldown unless you know you're going to have MP problems before it would come off cooldown.

4. A couple GCDs after they pull, so it's early in the fight but after the tank has a safe threat lead. Threat is something you should worry about, even if it's not at the top of your list of concerns.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
Start running meters and you'll see people use medica II way too often when a medica is enough and end up with 90% overheal.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

hihifellow posted:

Start running meters and you'll see people use medica II way too often when a medica is enough and end up with 90% overheal.

Some people do this to keep Medica 2 and Regen on the tank at all times. I don't get it but that's sometimes the excuse.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Some people do this to keep Medica 2 and Regen on the tank at all times. I don't get it but that's sometimes the excuse.

When I have medica II/regen both up on a tank I can ignore healing for 20-30 seconds and do nothing but dps. Toss in good asylum usage and I never have to cast a cure spell.

Also medica II will keep dumb dps that get hit by bad things or raidwide aoes healed up without any actual effort on the part of the whm.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Please add an option so tryhards can disable my safety heal fun buff

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Remember in 2.0 when Med 2 was 100 potency a tick for 15 seconds instead of 50 for 30? Good times.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

When I have medica II/regen both up on a tank I can ignore healing for 20-30 seconds and do nothing but dps. Toss in good asylum usage and I never have to cast a cure spell.

Also medica II will keep dumb dps that get hit by bad things or raidwide aoes healed up without any actual effort on the part of the whm.

there are a ton of fights, even in exdr, where you can keep the tank up with only incidental healing from asylum/tetra/assize if the dps is reasonably good

like if you get the (admittedly unlikely) case where the dps never messes up in the training dummy fight in temple of the fist, there's no need to ever cast a healing spell

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

BrightWing posted:

Remember in 2.0 when Med 2 was 100 potency a tick for 15 seconds instead of 50 for 30? Good times.

I used to do the 24 mans in 2.0 by casting medica 2 and then dpsing. Worked pretty well.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reiterpallasch posted:

there are a ton of fights, even in exdr, where you can keep the tank up with only incidental healing from asylum/tetra/assize if the dps is reasonably good

Seeing how far I can stretch Tetra/Asylum/Assize/Regen/Bene is the most fun part of WHM in dungeons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Reiterpallasch posted:

like if you get the (admittedly unlikely) case where the dps never messes up in the training dummy fight in temple of the fist, there's no need to ever cast a healing spell

I understand entirely, but you don't have half of those skills inside a level 50 24 man raid and around half the dungeons in the game.

Medica II becomes superfluous the further you get above level 50, but it's still handy.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
oh yeah for sure, i missed some of the context there

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BrightWing posted:

Semi-related, I used to keep a running tally of WHM deaths in A8.

Almost every drat time, it was because they had used Medica 2 for everyone and Regen on the tank and had that poo poo ticking for a good six seconds or so before the boss became targetable again.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Semi-related, I used to keep a running tally of WHM deaths in A8.

Almost every drat time, it was because they had used Medica 2 for everyone and Regen on the tank and had that poo poo ticking for a good six seconds or so before the boss became targetable again.

The fanfare at the start of Brute Justice Mode is intended to be capped off with a white mage being punched into the next calendar week. Kind of like the 1812 Overture and cannon fire.

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!
How long is the -50% sales on complete edt going on?

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
early Stormblood developments: So we just give up and go to Japan instead, hey great job guys, good hustle

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

serious norman posted:

How long is the -50% sales on complete edt going on?

EU? Till Jan 19.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Half of Dracula posted:

early Stormblood developments: So we just give up and go to Japan instead, hey great job guys, good hustle

I mean, say what you will about Alphy, booknerd that he is, I'm pretty sure he's read all of Sunrito Tzurito's works and could quote to you the Nymian Art of War by heart.

"the way to avoid what is strong is to strike what is weak," "strike into vacuities," "attack objectives the enemy must rescue" and so forth.

In that sense, attempting to pull the Garleans apart at two ends by re-opening a front elsewhere makes perfect tactical sense.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Half of Dracula posted:

On second thought, lets not go to Ala Mhigo. It is a silly place

Philonius fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 11, 2018

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Stumbled into a really good glamour last night after the 45 WAR quest.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Lizard Wizard posted:

Stumbled into a really good glamour last night after the 45 WAR quest.

That's my favorite shirt and I wish RDM's could wear it.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Ainsley McTree posted:

That's my favorite shirt and I wish RDM's could wear it.

I wish glamour had no restrictions to be honest. If they let you walk around in a chicken suit what harm would armor wearing mages really cause?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Philonius posted:

I wish glamour had no restrictions to be honest. If they let you walk around in a chicken suit what harm would armor wearing mages really cause?

Totally. I understand if they want the class quest gear to be special but basically anything else should be fair game.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Yeah, so many nice feathered hats that RDM can't wear.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Cleared O1S tonight. It felt so good even if I did die to Clamp once. I'm excited to do O2S tomorrow.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Philonius posted:

If I could wear the DRK Garo gear on RDM I could be a bitchin' Golbez.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

It's good that you lose skills when level scaled down, BUT, classes should definitely get something much more closely resembling their final rotation at like level 20 precisely to make lower level duties more interesting.

I've posted this before, but I strongly believe that BLM should start playing the game it plays at level 60 at like level 20 instead. Specifically, it'd rename Fire IV to "Void Fire" or something. Void Fire would hit harder than Fire 1 (but not as hard as it does at level 60; it'd get upgraded later with a trait) but not refresh Astral. "Void Blizzard" would hit harder than Blizzard and give you Umbral Hearts, but not refresh Umbral. So, from almost the beginning of multiplayer content, a baby Black Mage is playing the "do I deal less damage and refresh astral, or do I push my luck and do more damage?" game.

I don't know other jobs as well to have as concrete ideas for how you'd transplant their high-level gameplay elements onto their lower levels, but I'm confident it's possible.

Yeah, this would be nice.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

:yeah:

Ridiculous.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Isn't that the entrance to Stormblood? Didn't expect that to change. That place is going to get busy

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

RIP glamour toilet. It's called a glamour dresser now. :(

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Isn't that the entrance to Stormblood? Didn't expect that to change. That place is going to get busy

Looks more like that little Imperial outpost to the east of Castrum Oriens and north of the big bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

That elephant is gonna fuckin fly